Was the Thief on the Cross Baptized or Not?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verily verily i say unto all i am seriously shocked and stunned by what most folks are now callling grace in this generation .
They sound nothing like Christ or the apostels who both warned men to repent and believe on CHRIST
and if one rejected they shook the dust off their feet and gave dire warning it would be worse for them than for sodom .
Too many folks are going under the spell of a grace which is not grace and its not o GOD
and have made themselves the enemy of the gospel , of the cross of christ , of the dire necessity of CHRIST .
WELL MOVE OUT OF MY WAY , cause i shall preach JESUS CHRIST and give no other false hope to this geneartion .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol. We are inclusivians. Take us to your leader.
and who soever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire .
And amigos’ doctrine determines who is found in that book and amigos doctrine determines who God may and may not show mercy to. God may only show mercy to men filtered first through amigos’ doctrine, since it is without any error or leaven. Someone alert God about the proper channel to filter His mercy through! Now git those hands up and…GLORIOUS! LAMBS! AND UH…OH YEAH, THE POPE! ALIENS! INCLUSIVATORERS BEWARE!
I shall not heed the gospel of pope francis and his men and women . STICK TO PREACHING JESUS
or prepare to wail on the day of the Lord . NO more giving out false hope .
Sometimes you are quite ridiculous!
POPE francis and this all inclusive lie
was spawned by the dragon and given unto those who rejected the gospel , the love of the truth
and wanted pleasure in unrighteousness . THATS RIGHT , ITS A STRONG DELUSION . PREACH JESUS
or move out of the way and LET ME DO IT .
LOL! I shall huff and puff my dragons breath on you and attack you with my light saber! THATS RIGHT! LAMBS AND…GLORIOUS AND…GIT THOSE HANDS UP! AND OH YEAH BIBLE!

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verily verily i say unto all i am seriously shocked
Are you serious? Whoa dude…you’re so holy God has you speaking all “verily verily….”just like Jesus In King James! And “unto” too!

“In an archaic, somber tone.“ That’s what the directors notes say, right?

Silly flimflamming.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel like we’re living in a simulation and I’m the only one seeing its not real…

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone emphatically claimed he wasn’t…? I know you emphatically claim he was, and yell about doctrines of demons, but…
That wasn't kind. Can't you recognize a doctrine of demons when you hear one? It's so easy to see as cast aside, unless you like them better than obedience. They will always produce defeat or disobedience or apathy towards the words of Jesus. In this case apathy towards obeying the command to be baptized.

Every time there is a teaching on baptism, the claim that the thief on the cross was not baptized comes up. And I always wonder what they base their teaching on. Certainly nothing in the Bible says he wasn't.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
31 “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 And all the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, just as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats;33 and He will put the sheep on His right, but the goats on the left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?38 And when did we see You as a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of Mine, you did it for Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you accursed people, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or as a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not [i]take care of You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it for one of the least of these, you did not do it for Me, either.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Do you know the book and chapter at least?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verily verily i say unto all i am seriously shocked and stunned by what most folks are now callling grace in this generation .
They sound nothing like Christ or the apostels who both warned men to repent and believe on CHRIST
and if one rejected they shook the dust off their feet and gave dire warning it would be worse for them than for sodom .
Too many folks are going under the spell of a grace which is not grace and its not o GOD
and have made themselves the enemy of the gospel , of the cross of christ , of the dire necessity of CHRIST .
WELL MOVE OUT OF MY WAY , cause i shall preach JESUS CHRIST and give no other false hope to this geneartion .
Oy, here we go again! Most folks in this generation? How do you know?

"Too many folks are going under the spell of a grace which is not grace and its not o [sic] GOD and have made themselves the enemy of the gospel , of the cross of christ [sic] , of the dire necessity of CHRIST" How do you know this?

"i shall preach JESUS CHRIST and give no other false hope to this geneartion [sic]" . Is preaching Jesus Christ giving false hope?

Why don't you try writing what you claim is the truth instead of writing sweeping condemnations of people whom you've never even met?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That wasn't kind. Can't you recognize a doctrine of demons when you hear one?

Every time there is a teaching on baptism, the claim that the thief on the cross was not baptized comes up. And I always wonder what they base their teaching on. Certainly nothing in the Bible says he wasn't.
Well…I was being truthful. Actually wasn’t trying to be mean.
And no, I don’t see that it’s a doctrine of demons to say, I’m not sure if he had a water baptism since it doesn’t say One way or another.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well…I was being truthful. Actually wasn’t trying to be mean.
And no, I don’t see that it’s a doctrine of demons to say, I’m not sure if he had a water baptism since it doesn’t say One way or another.
You are mocking my "yelling." That's rude. Just trying to get people to think and not let themselves be spoon fed garbage doctrine. And they ARE from demons.

You can tell by what he said that he had more faith than all the apostles put together. That's a Christian, and Christians get baptized.

20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them. Matthew 7

Are you growing?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. I guess I have to bow out. Thanks for the conversation. Sorry I offended you. I really wasn’t mocking your yelling. And you are free to yell all you want.

Last edited:

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No the thief on the cross was not baptized. Baptism is not a requirement for salvation…

The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 10:8-10

But… I have been baptized multiple times, but it was into a specific church and had nothing to do with my salvation.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No the thief on the cross was not baptized.
What if he was a thief, and them came across Jesus and believed, and was baptized before going to jail? Doesn't that baptism count?

You need to look at that thief's FRUIT. He had more faith than all the apostles put together, even asking a dying man to remember him when he comes into His Kingdom. That's even faith in the resurrection! They should have kicked Thomas out and let the thief take his place.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if he was a thief, and them came across Jesus and believed, and was baptized before going to jail? Doesn't that baptism count?
We are Baptized into a church. The Apostle Paul was thankful that he did not baptize... And he gets right to the point in 1 Corinthians...

10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. - 1 Corinthians

Reactions: marks

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oy, here we go again! Most folks in this generation? How do you know?

"Too many folks are going under the spell of a grace which is not grace and its not o [sic] GOD and have made themselves the enemy of the gospel , of the cross of christ [sic] , of the dire necessity of CHRIST" How do you know this?

"i shall preach JESUS CHRIST and give no other false hope to this geneartion [sic]" . Is preaching Jesus Christ giving false hope?

Why don't you try writing what you claim is the truth instead of writing sweeping condemnations of people whom you've never even met?
It means exactly what it says . I am ONLY gonna preach JESUS CHRIST and not give out this other false hope
that all these other religions like muslims buddists and etc are saved and know GOD .
THEY DONT .
What did john tell the church . IF they DO NOT recieve the TESTIMONY that GOD gave of HIS OWN SON
then they make HIM a liar. This rubbish of this many path false love stuff has got to be exposed .
SO allow me some parting words . HE WHO has the SON has the FATHER , HE who has not the SON does not .
BELIEVE YE IN JESUS CHRIST cause all else is winds of vainity and cannot save a soul . BELIEVE IN JESUS . That saves .

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've posted thus clarification previously which should address this.

The thief on the cross misconceptions

I continually encounter people trying to justify that baptism is not an absolute necessity for one's salvation by use (erroneously) of the thief on the cross as justification, as he was not baptized but yet saved by the Lord, which is true! BUT, the error in this is the lack of understanding of the scriptures. You must read and understand Hebrews 9:15-17 which clarifies why the thief on the cross was saved by Jesus without being baptized. Christ was still alive when this occurred meaning it was done while the old testament or covenant was still in effect; the new testament had not yet been established because Christ had not yet died. And since the Lord was still alive no one could possibly be baptized into Christ under NT salvation criteria. Baptism did not become a requirement as part of salvation until the new testament began which was after the death of Christ. Jesus forgave the thief on the cross no different than he forgave others during his earthly ministry, such as the woman caught in the act of adultery as recorded in John 8. Baptism should not even be an issue when discussing the thief on the cross, but unfortunately always is, but in error.

Hebrews 9:15-17

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Please give a reason for your answer. Carefully read the account in Luke 23.

Luke 23:
32 There were also two others, criminals, led with Him to be put to death. 33 And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left. 34 Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”

And they divided His garments and cast lots. 35 And the people stood looking on. But even the rulers with them sneered, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ, the chosen of God.”

36 The soldiers also mocked Him, coming and offering Him sour wine, 37 and saying, “If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself.”

38 And an inscription also was [i]written over Him in letters of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew:

THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

39 Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.”

40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” 42 Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”

43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”
I would think not , my reason is , nowhere in Scripture does it says we need to be , as a follower of Christ, however I do feel we should as He set the example

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've posted thus clarification previously which should address this.

The thief on the cross misconceptions

I continually encounter people trying to justify that baptism is not an absolute necessity for one's salvation by use (erroneously) of the thief on the cross as justification, as he was not baptized but yet saved by the Lord, which is true! BUT, the error in this is the lack of understanding of the scriptures. You must read and understand Hebrews 9:15-17 which clarifies why the thief on the cross was saved by Jesus without being baptized. Christ was still alive when this occurred meaning it was done while the old testament or covenant was still in effect; the new testament had not yet been established because Christ had not yet died. And since the Lord was still alive no one could possibly be baptized into Christ under NT salvation criteria. Baptism did not become a requirement as part of salvation until the new testament began which was after the death of Christ. Jesus forgave the thief on the cross no different than he forgave others during his earthly ministry, such as the woman caught in the act of adultery as recorded in John 8. Baptism should not even be an issue when discussing the thief on the cross, but unfortunately always is, but in error.

Hebrews 9:15-17

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
I followed all of that except at the very beginning I had some confusion. I didn’t know for sure if you were meaning to say that water baptism became a necessary requirement of eternal life after Jesus died or if you meant Holy Spirit baptism, or if you were saying BOTH water AND Holy Spirit baptism were necessary for eternal life. A little confusing to me. But only at the beginning of it.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would think not , my reason is , nowhere in Scripture does it says we need to be , as a follower of Christ, however I do feel we should as He set the example
You must not study the scriptures much. You sound like you have apathy towards obedience, a sure sign you've listened to doctrines of demons. Sort of a take it or leave it attitude.

Mark 16:16-18
16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Acts of the Apostles 2:38
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The gift of the Holy Spirit is for the purpose of being born again. Jesus said we MUST be born again.

Last edited: