Was this always in the bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
63 The men who were holding Jesus began to mock Him and beat Him.
64 They blindfolded Himf and kept demanding, “Prophesy! Who hit You?”
65 And they said many other blasphemous things against Him.

--Luke 22:63-65

I've read through the bible in its entirety 3 times minimum.

Yet somehow, I don't remember this.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Karen,
If you look at Matthew 27: 27-31 and Mark 15:16-20 you will find many of the same events of the crucifixion only written and witnessed from different places. Matt. Mark and Luke have the crucifixion. John is not like the other three. In one account, they are poking Him, mocking Him saying "who poked you now" (paraphrased) but does not say they blindfolded Him but one of the other accounts in the gospels let's us know that He was blindfolded which made sense why they were asking who was poking Him...hope this is understandable, lol.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The bible has over 755,000 words in it. I think it would be pretty easy to miss a few verses here and there.

(and yes, it's always been in the bible)

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of us miss things as we read. Now that you've read it a few times start studying topics. Pick a subject, say, salvation and read about just that for a month. Or read just a book over and over for a month. Read on the web the history of the book, the timeline, etc.
Meditate on where it was written at and the situations surrounding the writing.

And of course. Always pray for understanding before reading

Reactions: Nancy

knothead

Sep 29, 2023
Tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There are other things you may not remember also. I know I see things I have read and did not remember they were in there. Isa 45:7

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Karen,
If you look at Matthew 27: 27-31 and Mark 15:16-20 you will find many of the same events of the crucifixion only written and witnessed from different places. Matt. Mark and Luke have the crucifixion. John is not like the other three. In one account, they are poking Him, mocking Him saying "who poked you now" (paraphrased) but does not say they blindfolded Him but one of the other accounts in the gospels let's us know that He was blindfolded which made sense why they were asking who was poking Him...hope this is understandable, lol.
exactly dear sister .

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had that experience too, like things changed in the bible since I read it before. Strange.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Most of us miss things as we read. Now that you've read it a few times start studying topics. Pick a subject, say, salvation and read about just that for a month. Or read just a book over and over for a month. Read on the web the history of the book, the timeline, etc.
Meditate on where it was written at and the situations surrounding the writing.

And of course. Always pray for understanding before reading
Good points….the more you read over a certain passage, the clearer the picture becomes and the easier it is to connect passages that support one another. When I study, I pick out main points first and after I have sounded them down, I go back and pick up other details that round out my understanding of the whole passage and even the whole chapter in context. The questions of ‘who, what, when, where, and why’ should always be in the back of your mind as you read and study.
I find too many people who quote verses out of context to back up a belief that the Bible does not teach.
Having a Bible with cross referencing is also very good for scripture to back up other scripture.

I also like to reference interlinear translations and a good Concordance to see how original language words are rendered in other verses. We have to understand that one language translated into another is not as simple as it seems. Phrasing is very different and using the wrong phrasing or punctuation can alter the whole meaning of a verse.
The Bible interprets itself if you just let it….but first you have to eliminate ingrained ideas gained from early indoctrination and let the Bible itself correct them. The Bible never contradicts itself, so if you find a contradiction, it’s time to go and do some research.