WE ARE NOT SAVED BY WORKS...WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billy goes to a local church and goes down to the front of the church and kneels and talks with the minster and explains he wants to give his life to Christ and the preacher and him have a good talk about repentance and Billy understands the failures of his life and wants to be a good Christian.
Billy could do this all at home and still be saved. Without baptism or Communion. His faith might then lead him to a public confession of some kind and a church and Communion, but those things didn't save him.

Reactions: Nancy

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good deeds, simply loving others
That is a command to be obedient to, not something to pay debts (sins) with.
It does not always mean good deeds...
Paul fielded questions about the works of the Mosaic Law. As we move on good deeds will be a topic.

Taodeching

Apr 8, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People say that we are not saved by works.
That there is nothing that we do on our own that can save us.
People say this all the time...but is it true...or does the statement mean something that is misunderstood. Lets put in motion.

Billy is not a Christian. He is sitting on his couch watching a football game. Happy go luck and he is not thinking about Christianity and the only thing he is doing is eating chips and drinking tea.

So the question is, how does Billy get saved without works?...He is not thinking anything in particular and not doing anything. So how does it happen?

Well the works refereed to were the works of the law, so Billy needs to repent and be baptized to start his journey of Salvation

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billy could do this all at home and still be saved. Without baptism or Communion. His faith might then lead him to a public confession of some kind and a church and Communion, but those things didn't save him.

There are some that believe that you are saved my the single thought that Christ is real...not me.
Saved and salvation are topics that are not as simple as you might think.

So you might say that baptism does not save you and does not remit your sins and you might say that communion does not save you and does not setup a condition that you can go to heaven.

But what happens if you do not do them?...When Christ was talking about the bread and wine ritual, He said that if you did not do it, that you do not abide in him or He in you and there would be no life in you and so there would be no reason to raise you on the last day....what would it be like to be saved and none of that occur. What would happen to you if none of that occurred. A saved soul with nowhere to go?

The Apostles and everyone since has tried to understand the spiritual side of these rituals, has anyone gotten it right? I believe it comes down to...Luke 6:46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the works refereed to were the works of the law, so Billy needs to repent and be baptized to start his journey of Salvation

No the works he did were in accordance with Acts 2:38 and Christ's discussion of the bread and wine rituals.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what happens if you do not do them?
So you do believe in works salvation. There's thosands of Christians that aren't baptized and rarely or never take communion. And you realize that many Protestants do not read the passage above eating his flesh in John as being about communion?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you do believe in works salvation. There's thosands of Christians that aren't baptized and rarely or never take communion. And you realize that many Protestants do not read the passage above eating his flesh in John as being about communion?

Believe? LOL Can you be saved with not a single thought or action?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Jumping in here, having ot read much of the earlier post in this thread)

A Christian should bear fruit, correct? Something like the act of being baptized itself is not what saves you (obviously), but shouldn't a disciple of Christ strive to be baptized?

For me, the "faith versus works" argument really... honestly doesn't seem must real point to it. I not interested in the "bare requirements to be saved" like some kid trying to figure out the bare minimum he can do to pass a class. Rather, I'm interested in the whole package that is a saved person and their life as a disciple of Christ.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said all the Law falls under the two commandments He gave us.

I am ok with you believing that is all you need to know...ok
What should we do with all the other things Christ said.
I consider these two commandments, although commandments an overall concept of the rest of His teachings.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't the slightest clue what your on about
Likewise for sure.
Billy is going to decide that the Gospel is true and he believes in Christ.
Billy goes to a local church and goes down to the front of the church and kneels and talks with the minster and explains he wants to give his life to Christ and the preacher and him have a good talk about repentance and Billy understands the failures of his life and wants to be a good Christian.
Billy goes to church the following Sunday and gets baptized.
Billy then goes to a church dinner where they perform the ritual of communion.

Well the works refereed to were the works of the law, so Billy needs to repent and be baptized to start his journey of Salvation.
So how does the above example have anything to do with the Mosaic Law or the need to repent.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I cannot help reading comprehension.
What Christ said was so shocking and with such dire consequences, that His own Apostles reacted to it and his disciples no longer walked with him. And then they performed the ritual at the last supper. Saying, This "is" my blood and He had them drink it. Christ must of thought this was important or He would not have risked losing everyone in His ministry. But as a matter of humor...don't do it, and see how it turns out for you. I am ok with your belief because it does not involve me.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot help reading comprehension.
What Christ said was so shocking and with such dire consequences, that His own Apostles reacted to it and his disciples no longer walked with him. And then they performed the ritual at the last supper. Saying, This "is" my blood and He had them drink it. Christ must of thought this was important or He would not have risked losing everyone in His ministry. But as a matter of humor...don't do it, and see how it turns out for you. I am ok with your belief because it does not involve me.
I've taken communion. But it doesn't save and Jesus doesn't claim it does. It's a symbolic ritual to commemorate his death for us.