We believe that there are no more words of God outside the Bible; how do you think about it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
mjrhealth said:
Well i digress, as I said not even God can stand against ,mans wisdom. I supoose if God was to try teach you something that was not in teh Bible you would??

Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
mjrhealth, You speak as though Jesus and the Bible are opposed to each other.
You can't speak in terms of the word being more important than Jesus visa versa, because
Jesus IS the word. You can't have Jesus without the word.
People who say they follow Jesus yet don't like his word
are not truly following him.

Reactions: StanJ

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus IS the word
Amen, yes HE is , and in Him alone there is life. the bible is not His words, it contains scripture which is "profitable fo teaching and instruction. It has no life, for it is only His spoken word,'
The words that I speak they are spirirt and they are Life" has life in it, just as Mary heard His words given by an angel and she believed and it bore life in her. God is not the author of confusion, Just go read teh posts on this forum and look at all trhe confusion that those who study the bible have. why because they"refuse" to take things to God, who needs to they have His word dont they.?? God doesnt have to agrre with the bible, that is a restriction put on Him by man. How foolis we are.

JimmyAk

Mar 25, 2015
Georgia, USA
There is the spoken and written Words of God. The latter is contained in the Bible, while the former goes beyond the content recorded in the Bible. All of the events and processes which occurred were summarized by the various men and women of God through the inspiration of The Holy Spirit. Note: There are some things which happened during Jesus ministry on earth that were not recorded but condensed in the Bible. Another reason the Words of God goes beyond the Bible is it was never recorded how Joseph felt or responded during the times of his challenges. We just know what happened in the genesis and at the end.

Just as God performs miracles in the lives of people in this era, He must have done so many more miracles during the Biblical era that were not recorded.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There is the spoken and written Words of God. The latter is contained in the Bible, while the former goes beyond the content recorded in the Bible. All of the events and processes which occurred were summarized by the various men and women of God through the inspiration of The Holy Spirit. Note: There are some things which happened during Jesus ministry on earth that were not recorded but condensed in the Bible. Another reason the Words of God goes beyond the Bible is it was never recorded how Joseph felt or responded during the times of his challenges. We just know what happened in the genesis and at the end.

Just as God performs miracles in the lives of people in this era, He must have done so many more miracles during the Biblical era that were not recorded.
Very true Jimmy....welcome to CB.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
mjrhealth said:
. the bible is not His words. It has no life,
the belief that the Bible is mans words and not God's is what atheists believe. Which side are you even on?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
the belief that the Bible is mans words and not God's is what atheists believe. Which side are you even on?
Just because the bible has some of what "God has to say to man" does not make the whole bible Gods word, unless it was God who spoke'

Mat 4:5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
Mat 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Was tha God or the devil who spoke, whos words where they, Gods or the devils?? If they where Gods words wouldnht that make God the devil?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was tha God or the devil who spoke, whos words where they, Gods or the devils?? If they where Gods words wouldnht that make God the devil?
The Word of God is true, but devils twist the truth of Scripture for personal agendas and vain glory. This is what the devil was doing and what Jesus rejected. You should be cautious of how you dismiss Scripture and how you pit Paul against Jesus in order to exalt yourself as superior to Scripture and a prophet from God. Every word of Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for correction, instruction and training in righteousness. You not only reject God's instruction and cast your own words as equal with Scripture, but you twist God's words to bring yourself vain glory and to place yourself as a teacher and prophet before others. If you really were a godly teacher or prophet, you wouldnt be antagonistic to the Scriptures.

“Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.” (Proverbs 30:5–6, ESV)

Skitnik

Nov 12, 2015
It just so happens I know of couple of people who were spoken to by God in person. Those revelations are not doctrinal in nature by any means but they are addressed to a particular person in his/her particular situation.

God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If He can speak to some shepherd boy, some temple servant, some teenage girl, pagan king and even some false prophet through the donkey He can speak to anybody, anywhere, anytime.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.” (Proverbs 30:5–6, ESV)
Do yo uknow what defamation is. look it up. It is what christians do top God every day and are quiet happyy to do so. So was it God that spoke or the devil, if it was teh devil than it was not Gods word is it yet by your very statment it is. So as I said you made God and teh devil equal.

And why is it that you make false statements on me, seems many do that, putting words into peoples mouths
Scripture and how you pit Paul against Jesus in order to exalt yourself as superior to Scripture and a prophet from God
Jesus is teh truth God is the truth, the bible has teh truth in it by who will find it, Revelation comes from God alone. no studying in the world can get you that..

So when you finally figure out that God never spoke all the words in the bible, and stop insisting that He did maybe you wil learn something from Him.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do yo uknow what defamation is. look it up. It is what christians do top God every day and are quiet happyy to do so. So was it God that spoke or the devil, if it was teh devil than it was not Gods word is it yet by your very statment it is. So as I said you made God and teh devil equal.

And why is it that you make false statements on me, seems many do that, putting words into peoples mouths
What are you talking about. The devil quoted Scripture. Scripture is God's Word. Just as he did in the Garden, the Devil quoted God in order to twist God's command and make people believe a lie. Yes, the devil quoted something God said in order to try to mislead Jesus. However, Jesus knew the context of God's word and understood that the Devil was misusing those quotes.

You are saying I make God and the devil equal and then accuse me of putting words in people's mouth (which I obviously never said, nor do I believe)? hmmm. I'll let other readers be the judge of who is misrepresenting the other person.

Jesus is teh truth God is the truth, the bible has teh truth in it by who will find it, Revelation comes from God alone. no studying in the world can get you that..
So when you finally figure out that God never spoke all the words in the bible, and stop insisting that He did maybe you wil learn something from Him.
This is pointless. I'll leave you be mj. I issued my warning about your views to other readers. Convincing you is clearly not an effort worth undertaking.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Weel lI do some good here ignoring me seem to be the only thing you lot agree on. Fuuny since you all read teh same "word of God".

iakov

Jan 17, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hora.J said:
Many people regard the words of God in the Bible as the only utterances of God, and believe that all God’s words are in the Bible, and apart from those words, there are no other utterances of God. Such belief does not conform with the fact nor with the truth.
Exactly. Scripture itself confirms it. Most of the teaching of the primitive church was oral. The Gospels were not written until after Paul had written his last letter and we have no record of all that Paul taught at the many synagogues and places where he preached the Gospel.

Oral teaching references

Act 2:42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching

RO 10:17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

GAL 3:2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? ……….. 5 Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?

EPH 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

EPH 6:19 Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

PHP 4:9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

COL 1:3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints-- 5 the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel 6 that has come to you. All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God's grace in all its truth

COL 1:22 … he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation-- 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

1TH 2:13 And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.

1TH 4:1 Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. 2 For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. (This is a reference to oral teaching.)

2TH 2:15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

1TI 3:14 Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, 15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. (The church is the pillar and foundation of faith, NOT the Bible)

2TI 1:13 What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.

2TI 2:2 … the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.

HEB 2:1 We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. 2 For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, 3 how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him.

JAS 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does.

1JN 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched--this we proclaim concerning the Word of life………..3 We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.

1JN 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you:

1JN 2:7 Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard.

1JN 2:24 See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father.

1JN 3:11 This is the message you heard from the beginning:

1JN 4:3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

2JN 1: 6 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

iakov

Jan 17, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I don't know about MANY, but I don't. Never have. They are written for a reason and Jesus Himself said many times, IT IS WRITTEN.

The Word of God (Bible) contains ALL we need to be saved and know the true Messiah. Coupled with the Holy Spirit, we are well equipped to grow, as Paul teaches in 2 Tim 3:16. It is our arbiter and guide, along with the Holy Spirit, and prevents any of us from doing off the deep end by saying GOD told me, when He will NEVER tell anyone something that goes against what is IN His written Word.

Your position in your OP is definitely untenable, given the context of the Bible within Christianity. We know who Jesus IS by it and as such, we learn all about our God from it. There is not a thing to be added to the written word of God in respect to KNOWING Him.
I suggest you read Psalm 119 to see just how important God's Written Word is.
Every time we find the words "It is written" it is in reference to the Old Testament.

There is nothing in Jesus' use of the words "it is written" to suggest that only what is written is a revelation from God. In fact, scripture specifically refutes that notion. At Acts 21:9 we read: And he (Phillip) had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied. There is no written record of what they said in prophesy but if it were not the word of God then they would have been identified as false prophets.

The Bible does contain all we need to be saved but it does not contain all that God has revealed through other means.

If the Bible is truly all we need then please explain why we need teachers and prophets (Eph 4) or preachers in the church and why anyone would ever bother to write a commentary on anything written in the scripture.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
iakov said:
Every time we find the words "It is written" it is in reference to the Old Testament.

There is nothing in Jesus' use of the words "it is written" to suggest that only what is written is a revelation from God. In fact, scripture specifically refutes that notion. At Acts 21:9 we read: And he (Phillip) had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied. There is no written record of what they said in prophesy but if it were not the word of God then they would have been identified as false prophets.

The Bible does contain all we need to be saved but it does not contain all that God has revealed through other means.

If the Bible is truly all we need then please explain why we need teachers and prophets (Eph 4) or preachers in the church and why anyone would ever bother to write a commentary on anything written in the scripture.
You're right about what Jesus said, and he was referring to the OT, as was Paul in 2 Tim 3:16. Peter confirmed that what Paul wrote was considered scripture, so we can be sure that what Paul said included the NT writings.

The Bible contains all God has determined is required for us to know Him as our saviour. It also contains all we need to discern what doctrine is true or false.
Now with the Holy Spirit, we don't need more, but the Bible is the BASIS for anything we establish as spiritual law or practice. There is NO more prophets as God supplied under the OC. Paul teaches what NC prophecy is, and that is unique to,those hearing it. It is never considered as over riding the Bible, and in fact is only acceptable IF not contradicted in the Bible.

ANY doctrine that is NOT supported or is contradicted by the Bible, is false teaching. God does not change, nor does His Word.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dont think anyone was arguing that the Bible contained all revelation ever given by God. However, Scripture attests to the fact that the Gospel has been fully revealed and God's ultimate revelation in Jesus Christ has been made known. Thus, those who imagine that they have something to add to the Bible that gives some insight into God's plans and purposes that has not been revealed in Jesus or the NT writings is in error.

“At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”” (Revelation 19:10, NIV84)

Reactions: StanJ

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Many people regard the words of God in the Bible as the only utterances of God, and believe that all God’s words are in the Bible, and apart from those words, there are no other utterances of God. Such belief does not conform with the fact nor with the truth. We all know that the work of God in the Age of Law and His work in the Age of Grace are recorded in the Bible. But not everything God did in these two ages is recorded in it. Just as John 21:25 says: “And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written.” It tells us clearly that many other things which Jesus did were not recorded in the Bible then. This shows that the things recorded in the Bible are too limited, and it cannot possibly record all of God’s deeds. Actually, only some of God’s words mankind knew were written down and recorded in the Bible. Apart from them, there are many other words of God which are unknown or have not been disclosed to mankind; for example, the words God said to the angles in the spiritual world, the words God said to Enoch, a man recorded in Genesis who walked with God, and so on. As a matter of fact, many of the words that God has spoken since the creation of the world are not recorded in the Bible. So, how can we say that the Bible is the entirety of the work and words of God? And how can we place God, who is so great, wondrous, and almighty, within the confines of the Bible? How can the Bible represent all that God has and is and His all-inclusiveness? Hence, the view that outside the Bible there are no more words of God is utterly untenable and wrong. Actually God can never run out of words. Of all His words, those words of His in the Bible are only like a drop of water in the sea, a grain of sand in the desert, and a star in the universe, and they cannot at all be the entirety of God’s word. So, if one believes that the Bible contains all God’s words and by it God’s entire management plan can be concluded, and outside it there are no more utterances of God, this is purely his notion. In fact, he is limiting God’s footsteps to the Bible and constraining God’s work within the scope of the Bible. In this way, has he not regarded God too small and defined God? And so, has he not resisted God grievously?
I can only add a couple of examples to our list: God "spoke" to Moses, but much of what he said to him wasn't written down, and Moses was actually instructed NOT to write it down. These things that were spoken to Moses are referred to in the Torah, and later became known as "The Oral Tradition"; the mishna and gemara; the Talmud etc.

In one of Paul's letters, he states: "In him we live and move and have our being" He is quoting a well known pagan poet. So was it inspired when this pagan uttered these words, or only when Paul quoted them in his letter? I'm inclined to think that they were inspired when the poet uttered them.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
iakov said:
Exactly. Scripture itself confirms it. Most of the teaching of the primitive church was oral. The Gospels were not written until after Paul had written his last letter and we have no record of all that Paul taught at the many synagogues and places where he preached the Gospel.

Oral teaching references

Act 2:42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching

RO 10:17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

GAL 3:2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? ……….. 5 Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?

EPH 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

EPH 6:19 Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

PHP 4:9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

COL 1:3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints-- 5 the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel 6 that has come to you. All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God's grace in all its truth

COL 1:22 … he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation-- 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

1TH 2:13 And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.

1TH 4:1 Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. 2 For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. (This is a reference to oral teaching.)

2TH 2:15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

1TI 3:14 Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, 15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. (The church is the pillar and foundation of faith, NOT the Bible)

2TI 1:13 What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.

2TI 2:2 … the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.

HEB 2:1 We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. 2 For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, 3 how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him.

JAS 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does.

1JN 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched--this we proclaim concerning the Word of life………..3 We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.

1JN 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you:

1JN 2:7 Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard.

1JN 2:24 See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father.

1JN 3:11 This is the message you heard from the beginning:

1JN 4:3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

2JN 1: 6 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.
EXACTLY! The spoken Word did not expire or die off with the Apostles. It comes under different names: Apostolic Tradition, Sacred Tradition, Oral Tradition, and bears the same divine protection from error as the Written Word. Just because it is a different mode of transmitting God's word does not make it inferior to the Written Word. It is preserved in apostolic succession and will be until the end of time. Given the fact there was no Bible as we know it until the 4th century, without Tradition there would be no bishops and no Bible. The relationship between Scripture and Tradition is complementary, one is not over the other and there are no contradictions.