We must repent of sin.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Paul makes it clear that his purpose is to get the believers in Corinth to repent of sins that they have committed in 2 Corinthians 12:20-21...

2Co 12:20, For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:
2Co 12:21, And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Clearly, his goal is for the Corinthian believers to repent of "uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness" and he hopes that they will do that before he arrives among them in his third visit to them.

It should be clear that "uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness" are sins...

I find it interesting that Paul mentions that those who had not repented of these sins would engage with Paul in
debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, swellings, whisperings, and tumults.

This is what I see among those who have not repented of their sins and who want to engage in debates about how repentance isn't really necessary....while in those debates they most often resort to ad hominem attacks on the person who is bringing to them the truth of holy scripture....saying that we are preaching a FALSE and PERVERTED gospel when in all reality our gospel is
true and wholesome, while their gospel of "grace as a license for immorality" is truly a gospel that is FALSE and PERVERTED.
No issue that the Christians must repent of sin.

The Christians are to live according to the Spirit and must have nothing to do with sinful works. Not because doing such will save them but because they are Christians.

Tong
R2700

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Christians are to live according to the Spirit and must have nothing to do with sinful works. Not because doing such will save them but because they are Christians.

Tong
R2700
Clearly, if someone does not repent of sin, they will continue to be a "worker of iniquity", for we are born dead in trespasses and sins.

What is the fate of "workers of iniquity"?

See Matthew 13:41-42; Matthew 7:23, Matthew 25:41.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:

Clearly, if someone does not repent of sin, they will continue to be a "worker of iniquity", for we are born dead in trespasses and sins.

What is the fate of "workers of iniquity"?

See Matthew 13:41-42; Matthew 7:23, Matthew 25:41.
There is a great difference between the christians and the non Christians regarding this matter.

Repentance from sin, for the Christians, is not so that they will not be condemned and be saved. For they are in a saved state. Unless one thinks that after having been saved, they are unsaved whenever they sin and are saved again when they repent, then to them repenting of sin is their remedy. The Christian is expected to repent of sin and do righteousness, and do so in obedience to God, for the glory and pleasure of God.

Repentance from sin, for the non Christian, is really of no matter, be it regarding their salvation or of whatever.

Tong
R2715

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a great difference between the christians and the non Christians regarding this matter.

Repentance from sin, for the Christians, is not so that they will not be condemned and be saved. For they are in a saved state. Unless one thinks that after having been saved, they are unsaved whenever they sin and are saved again when they repent, then to them repenting of sin is their remedy. The Christian is expected to repent of sin and do righteousness, and do so in obedience to God, for the glory and pleasure of God.

Repentance from sin, for the non Christian, is really of no matter, be it regarding their salvation or of whatever.

Tong
R2715

Then there is the matter of what repentance in the OT is, compared to what repentance in the NT is.

In the OT, the word speaks of changing your direction. But the NT uses the word that speak of exchanging your mind.

And the NT speaks of renewing the mind, and having the mind of Christ, no more the mind of the flesh.

We repent, repudiating the flesh, and it's fleshy mind, and we receive Christ, and as Paul said, but we have the mind of Christ.

We don't keep exchanging our minds. We have the mind of Christ, but sometimes we don't act accordingly, and instead allow the flesh to do it's thing. We stop it from sin and return to obedience, but we didn't revert back to having only the flesh mind, and now must repent to receive again the mind of Christ.

Importing the OT idea of repentance to what the NT tells us to do introduces confusion, since, we repent and are saved, but then, we have to keep repenting, as if we have to keep being saved.

This too is what I call "word salad", since it takes ideas that won't combine, they just stay there in the bowl separate, because they are disparate.

So when we're talking about repenting, are we talking about Metanoia? The new mind? Are we talking about changing your behavior?

As Christians, we have the mind of Christ, - the result of an exchanged mind, which is the meaning of metanoia, repentance. If we are sinning, we are to stop.

But that's not metanoia. Metanoia is a new mind.

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there is the matter of what repentance in the OT is, compared to what repentance in the NT is.

In the OT, the word speaks of changing your direction. But the NT uses the word that speak of exchanging your mind.

Is God a different God in the Old Testament than He is in the New?

I believe He is the same God,

What about you?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you familiar with the words that are translated "repentance"?
In Ezekiel 33:11-20, the word used is not the word "repent".

However, biblical repentance is most assuredly defined in the passage.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any guess about what I'll answer?

;)
Your doctrine appears to be in line with the concept that the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are not the same God.

But I think better of you than that. I think that, even though your doctrine is in line with the opposite, you will at least give lip service to the concept that there is one God in both the Old and New Testaments.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Tong
R2715
Some people, I think, don't follow their thinking through to the conclusion. We repent to receive forgiveness. We need forgiveness because we are condemned.

The Christian who believes their sin yet condemns them does not understand justification.

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We must repent of sin.

The only thing that we MUST do is to do the Will Of The Father....and what would “ that” be? If your response was “ Believe in the One that He sent”.......go to the head of the class....
If you have “ changed your mind about Jesus”..... If you Believe that He is the Risen Lord, whereas before you did NOT Believe that ....You have undergone the only Repentance that you need to undergo to get Saved.....
To “ repent of sin” is a good thing .....you will do it naturally and just about daily once you get Saved...
You can Repent of your sins until the cows come home , but if you have not heard and believed the Gospel, you haven’t been saved .....your “Repentance” May have made you more “moral”, but God ain’t Looking for “ moral” men —- Hell will be full of those types !
God is looking for men with Contrite Hearts.....Those who realize that their “ morality” is Filthy Rags Before God ....Those That know that they are, in reality, “ Dead in Trespasses and Sins”.....Those That are ready to Truly Repent like the Sinful Tax-Collector did.....those that have finally come to the end of themselves and are reduced to crying out to God—- “Lord, have mercy on me a Sinner”......that is the picture of the True Repentance that God is looking for......
One can “ repent of their sins “ all of their lives.....if that gets in the way of doing what that Sinful Publican did......he has just wasted his time as far as Salvation goes.....
True Repentance does NOT mean Turning FROM sins.....it means Turning TO God.....as in, “ Turn to Me and I will Turn to you”. Salvation is THAT simple......( the repenting of Sins in the manner that “you” mean will follow....you MUST get the order correct! ) God Bless ....
my question is , WHAT JESUS are folks believing in . FOR if we pick and choose our JESUS , we in dire trouble .
GO ye and all and be SURE you are following THE TRUE JESUS and not just a name and another jesus .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your doctrine appears to be in line with the concept that the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are not the same God.

But I think better of you than that. I think that, even though your doctrine is in line with the opposite, you will at least give lip service to the concept that there is one God in both the Old and New Testaments.
Time for some words that sound the same . SAIL , SELL and SALE .
Dont tucker out now my friend . I tried to warn ya , you gonna wear out bickering with those who have no mind to hear nor be changed .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Personally, I don't find this credible.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Reply . . .

And the NT speaks of renewing the mind, and having the mind of Christ, no more the mind of the flesh.

We repent, repudiating the flesh, and it's fleshy mind, and we receive Christ, and as Paul said, but we have the mind of Christ.

We don't keep exchanging our minds. We have the mind of Christ, but sometimes we don't act accordingly, and instead allow the flesh to do it's thing. We stop it from sin and return to obedience, but we didn't revert back to having only the flesh mind, and now must repent to receive again the mind of Christ.

Importing the OT idea of repentance to what the NT tells us to do introduces confusion, since, we repent and are saved, but then, we have to keep repenting, as if we have to keep being saved.

This too is what I call "word salad", since it takes ideas that won't combine, they just stay there in the bowl separate, because they are disparate.

So when we're talking about repenting, are we talking about Metanoia? The new mind? Are we talking about changing your behavior?

As Christians, we have the mind of Christ, - the result of an exchanged mind, which is the meaning of metanoia, repentance. If we are sinning, we are to stop.

But that's not metanoia. Metanoia is a new mind.

Much love!

~~~~~~~

So, when we are looking at what the Bible says about repentance, I'll ask, where are you looking?

Quote a passage, and let's see what it says. Let's look at the words God uses, and what they mean.

Don't just sit there and try to make out that I think there are different Gods, or that I talk like there are. Seriously!

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people, I think, don't follow their thinking through to the conclusion. We repent to receive forgiveness. We need forgiveness because we are condemned.

The Christian who believes their sin yet condemns them does not understand justification.

Much love!
Does this mean that if you think you are justified, you should also think that there is no need for repentance?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does this mean that if you think you are justified, you should also think that there is no need for repentance?
Just go back and read my posts if you want to know what I think. I've said this many times. If you want to know, there it is.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We stop it from sin and return to obedience, but we didn't revert back to having only the flesh mind, and now must repent to receive again the mind of Christ.

Can someone have the mind of Christ and yet do something as though they have the mind of the flesh?

If they do according to the mind of the flesh, are they not walking according to the mind of the flesh?

Therefore, do they not have the mind of the flesh?

One must change their direction, at the very least, to begin again to walk according to the mind of Christ.