We must repent of sin.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The one who turned away from his sins, trusting Christ to be the remedy for them.

You don’t trust Christ.....you trust “ Lucky Repentance” .......you don’t believe the gospel of Paul in 1 Cor15:1-4 .....That first part where it says that Jesus “ died for your sins”.........

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These questions are ones he already knows my answer, and has an agenda by asking.

No, because some of your answers have appeared to promote the idea that the God of the Old and New Testaments are not the same God.

Carefully worded. Not responsive. "Gotcha" sort of questions. I've played along for a long time.

I see that you realize that if you answer the question, I will have the ability to win the argument.

Do I think that the God of the Old Testament is the same God as the New Testament? Seriously? And this asked as a response to my comments on the words used in the Bible.

No, this is deflection, "gotcha", and is disengenuous.

Define "disingenuous"

If I thought you were having an honest conversation with me, I'd continue.

AS IF I've ever given you reason to think I'm polytheistic, of all things!

Genuinely curious if I believe in multiple Gods.

Yeah, totally believable! (not)

So, you are saying that you do not believe that the God of the Old and New Testaments are different Gods (since you have said that such a thing is not believable, I assume that you are telling us that it is also not true). I assume by this that you acknowledge that they are one and the same.

So, the question is on how God defines repentance. If the language word in the Old Testament is different than the language word in the New, does that mean that in the New Testament the same God does not define repentance according to the definition any longer that He gave us in the Old Testament? Has God changed (see Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 13:8) so that He now defines repentance differently than He used to?

I believe that because He is the same God, His definition for repentance has not changed. And repentance is defined very clearly in Ezekiel 33:11-20.

And I don't know about others, but no, that's not what I see. More often what I see is a sense of condemnation in those whom God has justified. I attribute this largely to the plethora of false teachers leading away from Grace through faith, into legalist ideas like, You have to make sure you hold onto your faith to stay saved, or, you if you sin, you'd die again, or, well, just look over the posts on this forum!

Truly, if someone loses or throws away their faith, they no longer have access to grace (Romans 5:1-2) and therefore do not have salvation any longer (Ephesians 2:8-9).

And also, we must continue in God's goodness or else we will be "cut off" (Romans 11:20-22).

There are those who in time of temptation fall away (Luke 8:13).

It is heresy to think that such people continue to be saved; and yet some on these boards even promote that heresy.

That heresy is evidently in you, @marks, in that you have said that it is a legalist idea (and therefore wrong) that you need to hold on to your faith to stay saved.

Again, the biblical concept is that if you lose or throw away faith, you lose or throw away salvation (Romans 5:1-2, Ephesians 2:8-9).

Really . . . show of hands . . . Which of you love sin? Which of you want to sin? Who here thinks sin is approved behavior?

Anyone?

. . . . crickets . . . .

Of course you are going to hear crickets.

If anyone loves sin, you can be certain that they are not going to admit it on a Christian forum.

Justbyfaithplusluckyrepentance accuses God Himself Of putting out False Doctrine such as Romans 10:13 ...

No; I have dealt with your paraphrase of that verse that includes those who don't come to God through faith in Jesus Christ; wherein you have said that the verses says, "Anyone who asks to be saved, will be saved"....that is not exactly true. If someone asks Allah to save them; or God to save them apart from Jesus Christ: they will not be saved.

I will ask again, are you contending otherwise?

If this Tare can correct God...

There, you have judged my salvation once again, and are in violation of Luke 6:37. A Tare is someone who can never be saved.

Thus, by virtue of Matthew 7:1-5, Luke 6:41-42, you are only condemning yourself as unsaveable.

You don’t trust Christ.....you trust “ Lucky Repentance” .......you don’t believe the gospel of Paul in 1 Cor15:1-4 .....That first part where it says that Jesus “ died for your sins”....

I suggest that you read Revelation 21:8...because it teaches that you are going to be cast into the lake of fire over the fact that you are lying about me (even to my face).

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Romans 6:22-23, it should be clear that the fact that the gift of God is eternal life does not nullify the fact that the wages of sin is death; because part of the gift is that we are made free from sin. Therefore we do not earn the wages of sin any longer.

We have repented of sin and are now walking in freedom (John 8:31-36) and victory (1 Corinthians 15:57) over sin.

I can only preach the truth and hope that people will hearken to what I say and repent.

Each man is held accountable for what they hear.

In the end, I will be counted as a faithful servant because I gave to you the whole counsel of God; therefore your blood is no longer on my head if you refuse (forbear).

Eze 3:11, And go, get thee to them of the captivity, unto the children of thy people, and speak unto them, and tell them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear.

Eze 3:27, But when I speak with thee, I will open thy mouth, and thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; He that heareth, let him hear; and he that forbeareth, let him forbear: for they are a rebellious house.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Theology", "Calvinism", "OSAS" all confused and hindered me in my walk with God.

I used to wonder why sin was kicking my butt qnd why I felt far from God. Those in the above camp kept telling me to simply "rest in God's grace".

But then I began reading the Bible for myself. What justbyfaith is saying is correct. The Bible does talk about perfection, repentance from sin, and departing from iniquity. The Bible says without holiness, no one will see the Lord.

If it helps anybody, I want to say: read the Scriptures and seek God for yourself on this issue. Just because someone with a degree or some popular preacher says something is biblical, does not make it biblical. The Bible is biblical. Stop relying on teachers and ask the Holy Spirit to lead you into all truth.

I was shocked at how necessary the Bible says it is to get rid of the sin in your life. Because of *teachers* I thought I simply wasn't applying enough grace or wasn't believing in my justification enough.

However,
Once I stopped "resting" in sin and began to crucify that flesh, that's when the fruit and the blessings and the manifest presence of God began to flow in my life.

If only we dared to seek God and hunger after Him and His Word and stopped getting hung up on man-made sayings, theological sayings, and traditions--- we could see revival in the land. But we love our doctrines that puff us up with head knowledge more than we love the truth of God's Word and being led by the Spirit.

What does the Bible actually say? Find out for yourselves. Let God be true and every man a liar.

God's grace will not allow us to be comfortable with sin. Pointing a finger and saying "You're not without sin." is simply deflecting. The Bible says let all who name the name of Christ depart from iniquity (2 Timothy 2:19).

Reactions: justbyfaith

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul makes it clear that his purpose is to get the believers in Corinth to repent of sins that they have committed in 2 Corinthians 12:20-21...

2Co 12:20, For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:
2Co 12:21, And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Clearly, his goal is for the Corinthian believers to repent of "uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness" and he hopes that they will do that before he arrives among them in his third visit to them.

It should be clear that "uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness" are sins...

I find it interesting that Paul mentions that those who had not repented of these sins would engage with Paul in
debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, swellings, whisperings, and tumults.

This is what I see among those who have not repented of their sins and who want to engage in debates about how repentance isn't really necessary....while in those debates they most often resort to ad hominem attacks on the person who is bringing to them the truth of holy scripture....saying that we are preaching a FALSE and PERVERTED gospel when in all reality our gospel is
true and wholesome, while their gospel of "grace as a license for immorality" is truly a gospel that is FALSE and PERVERTED.
As I recall Corinth at this time was largely what you'd call hedonist or pagan.
And here Paul is imploring what are in Revelation like unto those members of the church of Laodicea.
1Corinthians 6:9 is I believe a reminder and support for the chapter 12 verse.

It appears in the midst of the debauchery occuring in Corinth that Paul is concerned yet again, despite his patience in his ministry there, that he fears some of his disciples have not truly divested themselves of their desires to partake in the sins and succumb to the temptations that abound.

Which then would explain his imploring them to repent.
As we know Paul did not teach repentance being necessary for every perceived error, fault, or sin, of the redeemed faithful.

He knew , 1John 3:9, and taught just the opposite. Hebrews 10:26.

That is my thought.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are that being somewhat confusing.

Are you saying that Paul taught the opposite of what John wrote in 1 John 3:9?
It must have been very early A.M, because I don't recall writing that part that says he taught the opposite.
I stopped at, "he knew." And then shared those verses. Though 1st John doesn't seem to link to the bible site.