Were angels created in the image of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think so.

By angels, I mean conscious beings in the spiritual realm.

John 4:

24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.
God is spirit. Angels are spirits.

Revelation 7:

11 And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living beings. And they fell before the throne with their faces to the ground and worshiped God.
Job 1:

6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.
Angels are sons of God.

I think angels were created in the image of God. Like God, angels are spirits. They worship God. They are called sons of God.

Reactions: TheHC

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Were angels created in the image of God?​

can they create baby angels?

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He only said man was created in His Image... and He said believers will sit in judgement over the angels so men are obviously of more value to the Lord than angels are.
Christians will be changed in the resurrection, and will no longer be human, just as Jesus is no longer human. Therefore it will not be men judging angels, it will be members of a new creation - Jesus and his bride/body:

1 Corinthians 15:51-52 (WEB):
(51) Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,​
(52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.

1 John 3:2 (WEB):
(2) Beloved, now we are children of God, and it is not yet revealed what we will be. But we know that when he is revealed, we will be like him; for we will see him just as he is.​

2 Corinthians 5:17 (WEB):
(17) Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new.​

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians will be changed in the resurrection, and will no longer be human

That's incorrect.... we will have glorified bodies and will still be just as human as we are now... but with glorified bodies we will be supernatural humans.

God created man in His Own Image and since the gifts and callings of God are without repentance (Romans 11:29) we shall never not be human.

And, Jesus will; always be in human form throughout all eternity with the scares still on His glorified body of Him being crucified as a sin offering for mankind.

Always

Oct 23, 2023
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angels were not created in the image of God, they are a creation created by Him like the animals

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angels were not created in the image of God, they are a creation created by Him like the animals

Scripture doesn't actually state that angels are made in God's Image, but they are called "sons of God." Only saved humans and angels are called "sons of God," and the angels are called "morning stars;" Lord Jesus is also called "morning star."

Job 38:4-7 (WEB)
4 “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
Declare, if you have understanding.
5 Who determined its measures, if you know?
Or who stretched the line on it?
6 What were its foundations fastened on?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
7 when the morning stars sang together,
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Revelation 22:16 (WEB) I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify these things to you for the assemblies. I am the root and the offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.

While men will have positions to judge and rule in the Kingdom of God, angels have their own functions, but both humans and angels are fellow servants of God.

Revelation 19:10 (WEB) I fell down before his feet to worship him. He said to me, “Look! Don’t do it! I am a fellow bondservant with you and with your brothers who hold the testimony of Jesus. Worship God, for the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy.”

Revelation 22:8-9 (WEB) 8 Now I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. When I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who had shown me these things. 9 He said to me, “See you don’t do it! I am a fellow bondservant with you and with your brothers, the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”

Considering this evidence, along with their position with God before God created the earth and mankind on it, my understanding is that angels were created in the Image of God - who is the Word of God (The Logos: John 1:1-14; Hebrews 1:2-3).

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And we will sit in judgement over the angels (1 Corinthians 6:3), and they have no Savior... so it's very clear that the Lord puts so much more value on mankind than He does angels.

While the Scriptures do not explain much about the invisible realm in the heavens, the Scriptures do teach us that angels also have free choice to either reject God or to live for Him; and that is why God's top angel Lucifer, and 1/3 of all the other angels fell.

I think it's very possible that angels sin as well, but not as serious a sin as rebellion against God as 1/3 of the angels did. Those angels who repent of their sins are also saved by the blood sacrifice of Lord Jesus.

Colossians 1:18-20 (WEB) 18 He is the head of the body, the assembly, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things he might have the preeminence. 19 For all the fullness was pleased to dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile all things to himself by him, whether things on the earth or things in the heavens, having made peace through the blood of his cross.

Yes, mankind fulfills a special function in God's plans, just as angels also have their own special functions and hierarchy, positionally, from God. That does not mean that God puts more value in mankind than angels. The angels were with God long before God created the physical heavens and earth, and they always exist in the very presence of God.

For instance, Lord Jesus and the Holy Spirit always have an inferior position to the Father, but that does not mean Lord Jesus and the Holy Spirit are of less value than the Father; rather they all have different functions positionally; yet they exist as One in nature of being "God."

Last edited:

Always

Oct 23, 2023
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture doesn't actually state that angels are made in God's Image, but they are called "sons of God." Only saved humans and angels are called "sons of God," and the angels are called "morning stars;" Lord Jesus is also called "morning star."

Job 38:4-7 (WEB)
4 “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
Declare, if you have understanding.
5 Who determined its measures, if you know?
Or who stretched the line on it?
6 What were its foundations fastened on?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
7 when the morning stars sang together,
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Revelation 22:16 (WEB) I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify these things to you for the assemblies. I am the root and the offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.

While men will have positions to judge and rule in the Kingdom of God, angels have their own functions, but both humans and angels are fellow servants of God.

Revelation 19:10 (WEB) I fell down before his feet to worship him. He said to me, “Look! Don’t do it! I am a fellow bondservant with you and with your brothers who hold the testimony of Jesus. Worship God, for the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy.”

Revelation 22:8-9 (WEB) 8 Now I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. When I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who had shown me these things. 9 He said to me, “See you don’t do it! I am a fellow bondservant with you and with your brothers, the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”

Considering this evidence, along with their position with God before God created the earth and mankind on it, my understanding is that angels were created in the Image of God - who is the Word of God (The Logos: John 1:1-14; Hebrews 1:2-3).
Please reconcile that with Hebrews 2:7-9
7 You made them a little lower than the angels;
you crowned them with glory and honor
8 and put everything under their feet.
In putting everything under them, God left nothing that is not subject to them. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to them.
] 9 But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.
The Bible does not ever mention angels being created in His image, that is an interpretation assumed by some, however I will admit to the fact that it doesn't state that they are not either.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's very possible that angels sin as well, but not as serious a sin as rebellion against God as 1/3 of the angels did.

Yeah, there's no scripture saying anything like that at all.

Those angels who repent of their sins are also saved by the blood sacrifice of Lord Jesus.

That was BEFORE we got born again and became New Creatures IN Christ Jesus... which make us higher than the angels according to Ephesians 2:5-10, and Ephesians 1:16-23

Ephesians 2:5-10
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved
And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 1:16-23

Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Which he wrought in Christ (we are IN Christ now), when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you crowned them with glory and honor
8 and put everything under their feet.
In putting everything under them, God left nothing that is not subject to them. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to them.
] 9 But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.
The Bible does not ever mention angels being created in His image, that is an interpretation assumed by some, however I will admit to the fact that it doesn't state that they are not either.
Lord Jesus remains in very nature "God" while also eternally being the Son of David by whom all things are created, sustained, and saved. This is the One appointed by the Father to inherit all things from the Father.

Hebrews 1:2-3 (WEB) 2 [God the Father] has at the end of these days spoken to us by his Son, whom he {{{appointed heir of all things}}} [as the Son of Man], through/by whom also he made the ages. 3 His Son is the Radiance of his glory, the very Image of his substance, and upholding all things by the word of his power, who, when he had by himself purified us of our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high… 10 “You, Lord [Jesus], in the beginning, laid the foundation of the earth. The heavens are the works of your hands

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Revelation 12:3-4 (WEB) 3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour her child the moment he was born.

Revelation 12:7-9 (WEB) 7 There was war in the sky. Michael and his angels made war on the dragon. The dragon and his angels made war. 8 They didn’t prevail. No place was found for them any more in heaven. 9 The great dragon was thrown down, the old serpent, he who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world. He was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Isaiah 14:12-15 (WEB) 12 How you have fallen from heaven, shining one, son of the dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, who laid the nations low! 13 You said in your heart, “I will ascend into heaven! I will exalt my throne above the stars of God! I will sit on the mountain of assembly, in the far north! 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds! I will make myself like the Most High!” 15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the pit.

Ezekiel 28:14-15 (WEB) 14 You were the anointed cherub who covers. Then I set you up on the holy mountain of God. You have walked up and down in the middle of the stones of fire. 15 You were perfect in your ways from the day that you were created, until unrighteousness was found in you.

By the blood of the cross the things in heaven and the things on earth will be reconciled to God.

Colossians 1:18-20 (WEB) 18 He is the head of the body, the assembly, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things he might have the preeminence. 19 For all the fullness was pleased to dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile all things to himself by him, whether things on the earth or things in the heavens, having made peace through the blood of his cross.

Last edited:

Always

Oct 23, 2023
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I still do not see where the bible states they are or were created in His image, I understand the different interpretations to the question of whether they are, however some theologians assert that the idea of angelic imago Dei has no basis in biblical revelation. They being created in His image without His breathe given to them (to me) unravels with their rebellion. The Trinity in the beginning in Genesis are one, however the angels.....?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those that think satan and his demons are going to get saved and go to Heaven... need to quit reading the Book of Speculations as it's not part of God's canon! eyes.gif

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those that think satan and his demons are going to get saved and go to Heaven... need to quit reading the Book of Speculations as it's not part of God's canon! View attachment 39214
No one, including myself, is saying that Satan and the 1/3 of the angels who rebelled against God will ever be saved.

What I have proven to you, by Scripture, is that Angels are also sons of God, and they are fellow laborers with us for Christ Jesus, and that they also have free will, with the capability of sinning.

If you feel that only humans, made from the dust of the earth, are made after God's Image (the Logos), then angels, who speak for God, also are made in God's Image. If you feel humans are given the spirit of life, but angels do not possess the spirit of life, then you are mistaken.

Matthew 22:30 (WEB) For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like God’s angels in heaven.

Mark 12:25 (WEB) For when they will rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

The angels that are now in heaven are made holy by God, but that does not mean angels are inherently holy, and never capable of sinning. If 1/3 of the angels sinned onto death (separation from God's presence), then any angel could sin in thought, word, or deed.

The blood of Christ reconciles to God, not only humans who believe in Jesus as their Lord, but also the angels - both the things on earth and the things in heaven are reconciled to God because of Christ and what he accomplished on the cross.

That does not mean all mankind will be saved, just as not all angels will be saved. We know that only those who believe in Lord Jesus will be saved, only not many will truly put their faith in Lord Jesus, taking the narrow road to life. There is no universal salvation for all angels and all human beings.

Last edited:

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angels are also sons of God

In name and service only, and NOT is the way God created man which is in His Own Image.

Man is far more valuable to God than angels since we see angels have no savior and there's no evidence in scripture that angels that sin against God can ever repent and be back in right standing with God.

If you feel that only humans, made from the dust of the earth, are made after God's Image (the Logos), then angels, who speak for God, also are made in God's Image. If you feel humans are given the spirit of life, but angels do not possess the spirit of life, then you are mistaken.

I'm going by what the Lord said in Genesis..., He made man in His Own Image, and He is not mistaken about anything.

Angels do not abide IN Christ Jesus, angels are not new creatures created IN Christ Jesus... we are, so we are like Christ... they are not.

We will not be involved in marriage in Heaven just like angels are not involved in marrying one another.... this is not saying man kind is like angels because we are not. We are IN Christ, angels are not. We will sit in judgement over the angel;s so man has obvious ascendancy over and above angels because we are IN Christ, they are not.

then any angel could sin in thought, word, or deed.

No, the angels that are still loyal to the Lord now... see and understand the fate of those that fell with satan so they will be refraining from doing what satan and his fallen angels have done and instead will remain loyal to the Lord.

The blood of Christ reconciles to God, not only humans who believe in Jesus as their Lord, but also the angels

No, satan and his demons will be tossed in to the lake of fire and won't be being reconciled to the Lord thru the Blood of Jesus.

There is no universal salvation for all angels and all human beings.

And there won't be any fallen angels who accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior to get born again and be right with God either.

setst777

Mar 24, 2023
Oak Creek
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In name and service only, and NOT is the way God created man which is in His Own Image.

Man is far more valuable to God than angels since we see angels have no savior and there's no evidence in scripture that angels that sin against God can ever repent and be back in right standing with God.

Can you show me in the Scriptures where man is more valuable than angels to God?
Can you show me by Scripture that angels can never repent and be forgiven?
Can you show me, by Scripture that angels have no savior?

I'm going by what the Lord said in Genesis..., He made man in His Own Image, and He is not mistaken about anything.

Can you show me the Scriptures that teach that angels are not created in God's Image?

Angels do not abide IN Christ Jesus, angels are not new creatures created IN Christ Jesus... we are, so we are like Christ... they are not.

How do you know that? Did God speak to you in a vision explaining to you that angels are not in Christ Jesus.

Do you even know what it means, by Scripture, to be IN Christ Jesus?

We will not be involved in marriage in Heaven just like angels are not involved in marrying one another.... this is not saying man kind is like angels because we are not. We are IN Christ, angels are not. We will sit in judgement over the angel;s so man has obvious ascendancy over and above angels because we are IN Christ, they are not.

Not being married in heaven is not the only reason we will be like the angels in the resurrection. Rather, because we are like the angels in heaven, is why we are not married.

Matthew 22:30 (WEB) For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like God’s angels in heaven.

Mark 12:25 (WEB) For when they will rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

No, the angels that are still loyal to the Lord now... see and understand the fate of those that fell with satan so they will be refraining from doing what satan and his fallen angels have done and instead will remain loyal to the Lord.

Angels still have free will. Those who remain in Heaven, are those who chose to remain faithful to God. A third of all the angels chose to rebel against God, along with Lucifer, who was God's most perfect angel - the covering angel over the thrown of God.

No, satan and his demons will be tossed in to the lake of fire and won't be being reconciled to the Lord thru the Blood of Jesus.

True. No one disagrees with that.

And there won't be any fallen angels who accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior to get born again and be right with God either.

True. The angels who fell into rebellion against God are forever lost. God will not grant repentance to those angels who deliberately rebelled against Him.