What’s the big deal about sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is all about the forgiveness of sins. The forgiveness of sins is the main pillar of our Christian faith. Without it there is no relationship with God. The moment of the day we are renewed through the Lord's Prayer, God pours out His blessings!

It is very clear throughout the scripture that God’s main focus was always about providing a redemption plan for sins. He knew this since before creation and executed it perfectly throughout history. What was the whole purpose of the Jewish religion and the Moses law etc.? Redemption (old covenant). What was the main purpose of the coming of Jesus? Redemption (new covenant).

Many Christians today are thinking, we’re good people, never hurt anyone, keeping to ourselves… what sins do we need forgiven? But the reality is, we all start sinning the moment we wake up in the morning. The brain takes us in all kinds of directions (Matthew 5:28, Mark 7:21-23). Some sins can be against God, not necessarily hurting anyone.

When we sin, God separates Himself from us. At that moment we are “wicked” in His sight. Yes, He’ll forgive us later, but after we ask Him to. When we’re done sinning, He’s not going to assume we want Him back. So, Jesus gave us the Lord’s Prayer as the proper way to reconcile with God.

Saying that the Lord’s Prayer is to be recited daily for the forgiveness of sins, is consistent with other teachings from Jesus. Matthew 18:21-22, Jesus said “… forgive him seventy times seven…”, which is the same as saying just keep on forgiving him; stop counting – every time he comes back to you and asks for forgiveness, forgive him. Then He gave a parable about this likening it to the Kingdom of God. So, we too should keep asking God for forgiveness – daily.

This reality may seem strange to you at first. This is because churches have brainwashed us into thinking differently for years. But keep looking at it and studying the Bible references. You'll see it clearly. And remember, praying the Lord's Prayer daily is not "works". It is obedience.

How did it all get started?

Adam and Eve sinned - the fall. God made clothes for them out of animal skins, Gen 3:21. Implying that animals had to be killed, as sacrifices for the forgiveness of their sins. Which also meant He gave them specific instructions on how to present sacrifices to Him when they sin. God gave the specific instructions then, and God gave us the specific instructions now, the Lord's Prayer.

God’s instructions to Moses in the Books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy, hundreds of commandments, were given to the Jews in the desert. In those early days when the Jews learned the law from Moses, these commandments were precisely and perfectly performed daily by the Levites, designated by God to be the priestly tribe for executing the ceremonial law on behalf of the Jewish people. With the ceremonial law met, their sins were forgiven. As a result, God lived among them, in the form of a smoke pillar by day, and a fire pillar by night (Exo 13:21). God was only able to do this after their sins were forgiven. He would not have been able to otherwise. During that time, God’s blessings poured on them. Protected them from the Egyptians, daily food provided in the desert, etc. Today, we know that that was God’s preparatory provision until the coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ.

The main point here is, that the Jews actually carried-out all these difficult precise requirements and repeated them daily (example in Num 28:3-8), for the forgiveness of sins. But today, if you tell someone you have to recite the Lord’s Prayer daily for the daily renewal and forgiveness of sins, they complain. “Do I have to say it daily?…”

Churches today went too far with interpreting the new covenant. Yes, Jesus fulfilled the Leviticus law, and there’s no more need for ceremonial sacrifices. In abolishing the ceremonial law, churches mistakenly also abolished the daily fellowship with God. Saying the Lord’s Prayer daily is not ceremonial law. His sacrifice on the cross morphed us from the daily repeating hundreds of difficult animal and other sacrificial Leviticus requirements, to simply become the daily recital of the Lord’s Prayer to receive the Bread of life from God, and then the Holy Spirit can dwell within us, Luke 11:13.

The daily reciting of the Lord’s Prayer is also our daily fellowship with God, as He always desired. God is the same always. He has the same unchanging Personality. He always wanted daily fellowship with us. From the days of Adam (Gen 3:8), to the daily manna that couldn’t be hoarded more than one day (Exo 16:4), to the ceremonial law of daily sacrifices for the forgiveness of sins (Leviticus and Numbers), to the Lord’s Prayer today (Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke11:2-4).

If you insist on following the teaching of the churches today: “all you have to do is declare belief one time and you’re done”, then God will definitely say He never knew you on judgement day (Matthew 7:23: "Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’"). Note that in the Bible it is made clear that in God's sight anyone who's sins are not forgiven, is an "evildoer". Yes, even the nicest person on earth, can be an evildoer if their sins are not forgiven.

Reactions: amadeus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is all about the forgiveness of sins. The forgiveness of sins is the main pillar of our Christian faith. Without it there is no relationship with God. The moment of the day we are renewed through the Lord's Prayer, God pours out His blessings!

It is very clear throughout the scripture that God’s main focus was always about providing a redemption plan for sins. He knew this since before creation and executed it perfectly throughout history. What was the whole purpose of the Jewish religion and the Moses law etc.? Redemption (old covenant). What was the main purpose of the coming of Jesus? Redemption (new covenant).

Many Christians today are thinking, we’re good people, never hurt anyone, keeping to ourselves… what sins do we need forgiven? But the reality is, we all start sinning the moment we wake up in the morning. The brain takes us in all kinds of directions (Matthew 5:28, Mark 7:21-23). Some sins can be against God, not necessarily hurting anyone.

When we sin, God separates Himself from us. At that moment we are “wicked” in His sight. Yes, He’ll forgive us later, but after we ask Him to. When we’re done sinning, He’s not going to assume we want Him back. So, Jesus gave us the Lord’s Prayer as the proper way to reconcile with God.

Saying that the Lord’s Prayer is to be recited daily for the forgiveness of sins, is consistent with other teachings from Jesus. Matthew 18:21-22, Jesus said “… forgive him seventy times seven…”, which is the same as saying just keep on forgiving him; stop counting – every time he comes back to you and asks for forgiveness, forgive him. Then He gave a parable about this likening it to the Kingdom of God. So, we too should keep asking God for forgiveness – daily.

This reality may seem strange to you at first. This is because churches have brainwashed us into thinking differently for years. But keep looking at it and studying the Bible references. You'll see it clearly. And remember, praying the Lord's Prayer daily is not "works". It is obedience.

Adam and Eve sinned - the fall. God made clothes for them out of animal skins, Gen 3:21. Implying that animals had to be killed, as sacrifices for the forgiveness of their sins. Which also meant He gave them specific instructions on how to present sacrifices to Him when they sin. God gave the specific instructions then, and God gave us the specific instructions now, the Lord's Prayer.

God’s instructions to Moses in the Books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy, hundreds of commandments, were given to the Jews in the desert. In those early days when the Jews learned the law from Moses, these commandments were precisely and perfectly performed daily by the Levites, designated by God to be the priestly tribe for executing the ceremonial law on behalf of the Jewish people. With the ceremonial law met, their sins were forgiven. As a result, God lived among them, in the form of a smoke pillar by day, and a fire pillar by night (Exo 13:21). God was only able to do this after their sins were forgiven. He would not have been able to otherwise. During that time, God’s blessings poured on them. Protected them from the Egyptians, daily food provided in the desert, etc. Today, we know that that was God’s preparatory provision until the coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ.

The main point here is, that the Jews actually carried-out all these difficult precise requirements and repeated them daily (example in Num 28:3-8), for the forgiveness of sins. But today, if you tell someone you have to recite the Lord’s Prayer daily for the daily renewal and forgiveness of sins, they complain. “Do I have to say it daily?…”

Churches today went too far with interpreting the new covenant. Yes, Jesus fulfilled the Leviticus law, and there’s no more need for ceremonial sacrifices. In abolishing the ceremonial law, churches mistakenly also abolished the daily fellowship with God. Saying the Lord’s Prayer daily is not ceremonial law. His sacrifice on the cross morphed us from the daily repeating hundreds of difficult animal and other sacrificial Leviticus requirements, to simply become the daily recital of the Lord’s Prayer to receive the Bread of life from God, and then the Holy Spirit can dwell within us, Luke 11:13.

The daily reciting of the Lord’s Prayer is also our daily fellowship with God, as He always desired. God is the same always. He has the same unchanging Personality. He always wanted daily fellowship with us. From the days of Adam (Gen 3:8), to the daily manna that couldn’t be hoarded more than one day (Exo 16:4), to the ceremonial law of daily sacrifices for the forgiveness of sins (Leviticus and Numbers), to the Lord’s Prayer today (Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke11:2-4).

If you insist on following the teaching of the churches today: “all you have to do is declare belief one time and you’re done”, then God will definitely say He never knew you on judgement day (Matthew 7:23: "Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’"). Note that in the Bible it is made clear that in God's sight anyone who's sins are not forgiven, is an "evildoer". Yes, even the nicest person on earth, can be an evildoer if their sins are not forgiven.

I think you stated the "big deal" sir. When you sin, you in actuality separate yourself from God. No doubt that is a very big deal. Of course through the ransom sacrifice of Jesus, we can be redeemed from those sins, and back in harmony with Jehovah.

Reactions: Christian Believer

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:cool::cool::cool:

you’re gonna make some enemies on here with theology like that. :cool:
But i like that. You’ll see people who think they dont sin everyday, you’ll see some say they were saved at 5 this morning but lost it around lunch time. You’ll see some peoples theology and think “what!!!!”
Give it time.:)

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: all about forgiveness?
FALSE gospel = "when you DO NOT sin, you JOIN yourSELF to God, BUT when you DO SIN, you SEPARATE yourSELF from God."? TOTALLY UNscriptural!!

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:cool::cool::cool:

you’re gonna make some enemies on here with theology like that. :cool:
But i like that. You’ll see people who think they dont sin everyday, you’ll see some say they were saved at 5 this morning but lost it around lunch time. You’ll see some peoples theology and think “what!!!!”
Give it time.:)

Haha, I like your attitude Lifelong_sinner. You're right that is expected. This is why I have my own website fully dedicated to the Lord, (no profiting whatsoever). In it I don't provide a debate/discussion window. I ask that people look, and if they don't like it just leave, and I shake the dust off my sandals. Here's my website where you'll find a lot more of my rebellious teaching, all from the Bible: https://www.realbiblestudy.org/

Actually you may hate me too :). As I have a bunch of negative things to say about Calvinists in my website.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FALSE gospel = "when you DO NOT sin, you JOIN yourSELF to God, BUT when you DO SIN, you SEPARATE yourSELF from God."? TOTALLY UNscriptural!!

I don't separate myself from God when I sin, God separates Himself from me. God even separated Himself from His own son Jesus on the cross, Matthew 27:46: Jesus said "My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me"
It is very scriptural.
When you make a claim like that. It means you know the whole scripture inside/out. No one does. Not me, not you, not anyone:
We all have to keep reading the Bible. We should never stop. As God is not a simple One to be figured out easily. We can spend eternity learning about Him, and barely scratch the surface.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't separate myself from God when I sin, God separates Himself from me. God even separated Himself from His own son Jesus on the cross, Matthew 27:46: Jesus said "My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me"
It is very scriptural.
When you make a claim like that. It means you know the whole scripture inside/out. No one does. Not me, not you, not anyone:
We all have to keep reading the Bible. We should never stop. As God is not a simple One to be figured out easily. We can spend eternity learning about Him, and barely scratch the surface.
"But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear." - Isa. 59:2

A person separates themselves from God by committing sin, not the other way around. Jesus makes this even clearer with His message to the Laodiceans in Rev. 3 where He says they are the ones who are keeping the distance between themselves and Him. Sin essentially erects a barrier between a person and God. God is always willing to be with someone, but not if they want to continue in sin.

That's the whole reason why only the high priest was allowed to make sacrifices on behalf of the people under the Old Covenant and why Jesus intercedes for Christians under the New Covenant. The Father had to turn His back on Christ because He took the world's sins on Himself while He fulfilled His role as the Passover Lamb, not because Christ Himself did anything to put distance between Himself and the Father. There's a huge difference between the 2 things.

Reactions: GEN2REV
Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear." - Isa. 59:2

A person separates themselves from God by committing sin, not the other way around. Jesus makes this even clearer with His message to the Laodiceans in Rev. 3 where He says they are the ones who are keeping the distance between themselves and Him. Sin essentially erects a barrier between a person and God. God is always willing to be with someone, but not if they want to continue in sin.

That's the whole reason why only the high priest was allowed to make sacrifices on behalf of the people under the Old Covenant and why Jesus intercedes for Christians under the New Covenant. The Father had to turn His back on Christ because He took the world's sins on Himself while He fulfilled His role as the Passover Lamb, not because Christ Himself did anything to put distance between Himself and the Father. There's a huge difference between the 2 things.

Hello Desire of All Nations,

Thank you so much for finding this reference. Yes Isiah says it this way, although still a bit gray on who initiated the separation. Because it says "your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you", which can also be interpreted as God left when I sinned. So I basically only did the sinning part, which resulted in His leaving. So if I'm a God-loving person it means I unintentionally caused Him to leave.

But Jesus said it differently when He was on the cross with the world's sin poured on Him, Matthew 27:46 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Meaning God left Jesus, and not the other way around.

But really We are in a detailed area that is more of a God's business not ours. Like many things about God, we don't know everything. We only know what He reveals to us. The bottom line for us to know, and the key factor here, is that God is no longer in us when we sin. Which means we need the Lord's Prayer, and the Bread of life in that prayer to reconcile us with God.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't separate myself from God when I sin, God separates Himself from me.
Isaiah would disagree with you. He knows scripture pretty well.
Isaiah 59:1-2
Your sins separate YOU from God. Not the other way around. God's not insecure; He doesn't turn and leave if somebody disappoints Him. We separate ourselves from Him when we choose to sin. What that proves is that sin can be avoided and that it should be shunned and put away. God is always ready and waiting for those who seek Him, earnestly and diligently, and sacrifice their ways for His.
God even separated Himself from His own son Jesus on the cross, Matthew 27:46: Jesus said "My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me"
God didn't separate Himself from Jesus, ever. They cannot be separated.
John 10:30
John 14:9-10
John 17:11
John 17:21-22
It is very scriptural.
There are certainly some who know it much better than others. Many of the Martyred saints of old could recite scripture front to back and annihilate their opponents in public who supported the Church Powers at the time. That's why they were murdered; they couldn't be bested in the scriptures and they exposed the so-called authorities of scripture as the fools, and liars, that they were. Just exactly like Jesus did to the Pharisees and Sadducees in public when they challenged Him on any topic. He humiliated them mercilessly. It is Jesus' Spirit that teaches and guides those who study God's Word daily.

They do reach a level of proficiency that is unmatched by the vast majority if they stick with it and follow God's Ways.
Agreed about learning everything about God, but the scriptures can be pretty well mastered with diligence and commitment.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Grace ambassador,
So when you claim "totally unscriptural" You must really know the Bible inside out, and can answer all questions?
I have provided many Biblical references in this thread, that are clearly supporting what I'm saying.
And you reference a song?

I love God, and all people, even non-believers, as God instructed us.
God Bless!

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah would disagree with you. He knows scripture pretty well.
Isaiah 59:1-2
Your sins separate YOU from God. Not the other way around. God's not insecure; He doesn't turn and leave if somebody disappoints Him. We separate ourselves from Him when we choose to sin. What that proves is that sin can be avoided and that it should be shunned and put away. God is always ready and waiting for those who seek Him, earnestly and diligently, and sacrifice their ways for His.
God didn't separate Himself from Jesus, ever. They cannot be separated.
John 10:30
John 14:9-10
John 17:11
John 17:21-22
There are certainly some who know it much better than others. Many of the Martyred saints of old could recite scripture front to back and annihilate their opponents in public who supported the Church Powers at the time. That's why they were murdered; they couldn't be bested in the scriptures and they exposed the so-called authorities of scripture as the fools, and liars, that they were. Just exactly like Jesus did to the Pharisees and Sadducees in public when they challenged Him on any topic. He humiliated them mercilessly. It is Jesus' Spirit that teaches and guides those who study God's Word daily.

They do reach a level of proficiency that is unmatched by the vast majority if they stick with it and follow God's Ways.Agreed about learning everything about God, but the scriptures can be pretty well mastered with diligence and commitment.

Well I followed you until this part: "cell adhesion molecules"
Now I have to go. We'll just keep reading the Bible, and asking for wisdom. And praying.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I followed you until this part: "cell adhesion molecules"
Now I have to go. We'll just keep reading the Bible, and asking for wisdom. And praying.
Yeah, I knew who you were with your very first post.

Way to disprove my post which decimated all your claims USING NOTHING BUT SCRIPTURE.

Yeah, keep reading for sure. If you don't have the Spirit, it'll never make any difference.

Sorry about your thread. You'll be back though. Chin up.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I knew who you were with your very first post.

Way to disprove my post which decimated all your claims USING NOTHING BUT SCRIPTURE.

Yeah, keep reading for sure. If you don't have the Spirit, it'll never make any difference.

Sorry about your thread. You'll be back though. Chin up.

Ok I apologize; I see now that that was a part of your post permanent signature related to your avatar. I had thought it was part of the answer to me. Which was why I was confused. I apologize again.

Let's start over.
About who separates from whom, God or us, I don't claim to know for sure, it is also gray-some in Isiah's verses. But the key point to worry about is that us and God are separated, and in need of reconciliation. And this is where the Lord's Prayer and the daily Bread of life for the forgiveness of sins comes in.

I fully agree with you on this: "It is Jesus' Spirit that teaches and guides those who study God's Word daily."

Agreed: "They do reach a level of proficiency that is unmatched by the vast majority if they stick with it and follow God's Ways.Agreed about learning everything about God, but the scriptures can be pretty well mastered with diligence and commitment."

This one, I have one comment. memorizing the scripture is one thing, but comprehending the meaning of parables and difficult verses like Revelations etc. is completely another. "Many of the Martyred saints of old could recite scripture front to back and annihilate their opponents in public who supported the Church Powers at the time.". They were murdered for it yes. And I envy them for that.

God Bless!
And a good evening to you sir!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The problem with sin is that it brings trouble into our lives.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not bad, but please remember one thing; Apostle John said the devil sinned from the beginning (1 John 3:8). That was prior to the time of Adam and Eve. God's Word in overall suggests that prior to Satan coveting God's Throne, there was no sin back in that time, not until Satan rebelled against Him. Like Paul said, sin leads to death, and that's why the power of death has been assigned to Satan (Hebrews 2:14).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you insist on following the teaching of the churches today: “all you have to do is declare belief one time and you’re done”,
I hear this kind of thing routinely on this forum, but I've never actually heard this in church!

Well, there was one church I visited, the female pastor told the congregants that if we were to simply eat the wine-dipped wafer, we would be saved, no matter what we believed, so there was that.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Desire of All Nations,

Thank you so much for finding this reference. Yes Isiah says it this way, although still a bit gray on who initiated the separation. Because it says "your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you", which can also be interpreted as God left when I sinned. So I basically only did the sinning part, which resulted in His leaving. So if I'm a God-loving person it means I unintentionally caused Him to leave.

But Jesus said it differently when He was on the cross with the world's sin poured on Him, Matthew 27:46 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Meaning God left Jesus, and not the other way around.

But really We are in a detailed area that is more of a God's business not ours. Like many things about God, we don't know everything. We only know what He reveals to us. The bottom line for us to know, and the key factor here, is that God is no longer in us when we sin. Which means we need the Lord's Prayer, and the Bread of life in that prayer to reconcile us with God.
Consider these verses regarding man walking contrary to God or God walking contrary to man:

Le 26:21 And if ye walk contrary unto me, and will not hearken unto me; I will bring seven times more plagues upon you according to your sins.
Le 26:22 I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number; and your high ways shall be desolate.
Le 26:23 And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things, but will walk contrary unto me;
Le 26:24 Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins.
Le 26:25 And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall avenge the quarrel of my covenant: and when ye are gathered together within your cities, I will send the pestilence among you; and ye shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy.
Le 26:26 And when I have broken the staff of your bread, ten women shall bake your bread in one oven, and they shall deliver you your bread again by weight: and ye shall eat, and not be satisfied.
Le 26:27 And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me;
Le 26:28 Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.