What’s the difference?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s the difference between repetitious prayer and repeating a single prayer? And what is forbidden?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What’s the difference between repetitious prayer and repeating a single prayer? And what is forbidden?

Faith is required when we pray that God has heard our prayer and is answering our prayer without the need to repeat the prayer to make sure God has heard our prayer.

After we have prayed, we should be thanking God that He has heard our prayer and is acting on our prayer and will meet our needs in His timing.

Reactions: marks

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is required when we pray that God has heard our prayer and is answering our prayer without the need to repeat the prayer to make sure God has heard our prayer.

Paul prayed repeatedly for God to remove his stumbling block; he did not receive an answer to his prayer, so he prayed again.

IMO, repetitive prayer is wrong because it is performed with the wrong attitude. As if saying words is a sign of spirituality. Like saying the same prayer using a rosery; it's more likely to be said with words only, not with heartfelt meaning. Repetitive prayers are prayers for the sake of praying - as if that makes you good, because you pray. Just like praying in front of other people is condemned in the Bible; it's because prayers in the presence of others can have the wrong motivation - to be seen praying by others. Such prayers are not for God, they are for ourselves, so we are seen as spiritual by others.

Reactions: Jay Ross

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Prayer that is a regurgitation is hardly prayer. Prayer in its true sense is pouring ones heart out to God; they are words that reflect your inner reality and requests.

In our damaged state Jesus gives us direction in 'The Lords Prayer' yet this prayer repeated for the sake of saying its words with no heart felt commitment to its content is classified in scripture as 'vain babbling'

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember as a young Catholic going in to confession and being told to say so many Hail Marys and so many Our Fathers for penance. I was in a hurry and learned to speed pray those prayers so I could go out and play ball or whatever I had in mind.

I had 'em memorized and could speak them faster than any speed reader could read. Then one day after my confession, God smote my heart about that. I was supposed to be sorry for the sins I had confessed and now I was to be making it right with God and in my own heart. I knelt down like I usually did then, but I slowed way down and thought carefully about the words of each prayer as I spoke and what they meant for God and what they should mean for me.

"Our Father"! Who is He? What is He? Where is He?

"Which art in heaven"...

And so I continued from that day to this actually thinking about what I was saying. People often bad mouth Catholics around here, but I was a Catholic when God taught me that lesson and for some years after that. I learned to pray then and I have not forgotten how...
Give God the glory!

Last edited:
Reactions: MattMooradian