What about the Death to Self message ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference between prayers led of the Spirit and prayers spoken IN the Spirit.
With the former, we are led to speak prayers ourselves, i.e. in our own words and through our own understanding. With the latter, the Spirit Himself speaks utterance directly through us, through His words and His own understanding, some of which can be utterly beyond us in the moment.
So then, if praying in the Spirit is only in tongues, and not all speak in tongues, as not all have been given that gift, then what do we say to those who do not speak in tongues?

Sorry guy! You don't get to pray in the Spirit!

Is this how you see it?

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now if the Spirit had expressly been telling Paul not to go, and that he would be sinning if he did, they would likely not have just assented to it and then said to him "the Lord's will be done."
On this part, "likely not" seems to me to be speculative, and not really foundational for doctrine.

You've tried warning people before, right, that wouldn't listen? What's left to do, than to trust God that He's working it out?

The Lord's will is not necessarily shown by who concedes. If someone is determined enough, they're going to plow ahead with what they want.

Even with the warnings. And after Paul went to Jerusalem, what happened? Nothing! No fruitfulness recorded to Paul's account until he was in Rome. He could have been there two years earlier, and as a free man. God tried to tell him. At least, that's the flow of the passage as I read it.

It's hard to imagine how someone could interpret otherwise, unless they didn't think Paul could be so wrong.

Well before Paul was being warned, we read that he really had his heart set on going to Jerusalem. That's the kind of mindset we need to be careful about. We can get so determined, even though everyone else knows we're wrong, that they just throw up their hands, and give us up to God.

But about the point I think you were trying to make, yes I do think it is possible that even Paul missed it on occasion. The apostle Peter certainly did, and James said "Be there not many teachers, for we all falter much." But the issue is not sinless perfection for me, and never is. The issue is this: In spite of the occasional stumble (which we are all susceptible to), are we living lives that show to the world a person who has died to self and is abiding in Christ?

Sinless Perfection.

OK.

How much sin is tolerable to be able to say, "It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me"?

Much love!

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How will you get there? How do you make this happen?

Much love!

Good morning, marks. Hope you had a great weekend : )

I sense you might be winding up for making an objection that I am trying to please God through works (forgive me if I'm wrong. Just that you're questions are often set ups), but the answer to your question is what I've been saying lately about giving myself ever increasingly to prayer, worship, the word, and service to God, as I believe these constitute the primary means by which we abide in Him as believers.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly didn't mean to be insulting. I was simply asking about your experience because I think it has bearing on how you would interpret the passage. I have found many times that I understood something discussed in scripture to a far greater extent once I've actually experienced it in my life. But I wasn't trying to be insulting, or assume I knew what your answer would be either way. I was just asking you.

Don't worry, I know you were not being insulting!

:)

One thing we need to be careful of is to interpret the Bible according to our experiences. I think we need to make every effort to set ourselves aside, and try to discover what the Bible says for itself.

Let me ask you . . . might a person be able to understand Scritpure correctly . . . without the corresponding life experience?

Turning a discussion on spiritual truths from Scripture back to the peronal experiences of those discussing takes the focus Off of the Bible and onto the personal lives of the people.

It becomes about what something feels like, and looks like, and seems like, instead of what the Book says.

One question I don't recall seeing an answer. The baptism of the Spirit . . . what is it?

Considering . . . There is One Baptism (Eph 4), and we are baptized into Christ (Rom 6). So then, what is this baptism of the Spirit?

I ask this question to make a very - to me - important point.

Many have taught on "the baptism of the Spirit". Many believe it. Many claim to have received it. And yet the Bible doesn't teach it. There was a particular day, that we read this happened in the Bible.

This will show the difference between how you read the Bible, and how I read the Bible. And there is a clear difference. And I wish you were are particular. It's not just about how some words are uses. It's about a willingness to bend the meanings of some words into what they don't actually mean.

There is One Baptism. So tell me about the baptism of the Spirit please.

Or is it being filled with the Spirit, something that can happen over and over?

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then, if praying in the Spirit is only in tongues, and not all speak in tongues, as not all have been given that gift, then what do we say to those who do not speak in tongues?

Well this gets into the discussion about the gift of tongues verses tongues as a prayer language (which many believe is given to everyone who gets baptized in the Holy Spirit). That's a long discussion.

But to answer another question along the same lines, for those who have not been baptized in the Holy Spirit, I would tell them to pray with their mind. The command is to pray, whether we've been baptized in it or just been born of incorruptible seed from within. So long as we are listening to Him, our prayers will be led of Him regardless.
Sorry guy! You don't get to pray in the Spirit!

LoL. Well it's not as if the baptism is withheld from anyone, marks. It's just that one needs to seek God for it, as with all things (Luke 11:9-13).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Romans 7 Paul says that he sins because sin is still in him.
Subtle re-wording of Scripture, and it changes the meaning entirely.

While you write, "Paul says that he sins . . .", what Paul actually said was,

"17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me."

So Paul does not say "he sins because sin is still in him", he says, "it's not him sinning, instead is the sin that lives in him."

Do you see the difference?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, from start to finish, its all by trust. A man lives by his trust (through grace). So...remaining in that trust, growing in that trust, is the only remaining I know. Its the only race I know of, a race of trust. And when I am tempted to turn back to the leaven of religious men and the leaven of the world/ Herod, and I refuse and keep insisting on trust, not caring even when everyone thinks I'm a moron for it, I develop (somehow) endurance, so that I go longer periods of time without the sin of not trusting, without panic and mistrust, without the leaven that poisons me away from simple trust and into contortions of trying to do both what the world counsels and what God counsels, which is impossible. The world says to collect more than you need for the day. God says to not worry about that. It's like, the first hurdle, and we've tripped and fallen flat on our faces while insisting we're running our race of trust. He can make a pair of shoes last for 40 years but He can't see to our provision in old age unless we have amassed the 2 million dollars the world says we will need?

We can't understand it. We still don't understand. He fed how many people with a loaf or two of bread? He could make one loaf feed you for 30 years of retirement. But he couldn't do many miracles there because of their unbelief/mistrust...
A good word!!

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On this part, "likely not" seems to me to be speculative, and not really foundational for doctrine.

I was saying it would be illogical or sinful for them to have done so. That makes them either quacks or sinners, LoL!!
You've tried warning people before, right, that wouldn't listen? What's left to do, than to trust God that He's working it out?

Nah. Leaves way too much out. Here Paul is making the biggest mistake of his ministry, and they're just acquiescing and saying "Oh well, Paul. Go screw up your life and calling if you want to." LoL. I'm just not buying it. That would have meant that everyone traveling with him in ministry would be following him in error as well.

But anyway, enough with it. To each his own there.
Even with the warnings. And after Paul went to Jerusalem, what happened? Nothing! No fruitfulness recorded to Paul's account until he was in Rome.

Going there to die. "I have finished my course. I have run my race."
How much sin is tolerable to be able to say, "It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me"?

You want me to set some sort of percentages? LoL. :) I would simply answer that the scriptures promise that if we sin we have an Advocate with the Father. But our lives should be characterized by continually being led by the Spirit (which implies continually not sinning).

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me ask you . . . might a person be able to understand Scritpure correctly . . . without the corresponding life experience?

In general, I would say not as clearly, no. It's like the difference between taking a business course verses actually getting out there and starting and running a business. You might have been taught correctly, but you will never know just HOW correctly you were taught until you see exactly why something is true, and in what contexts, and to what extent, and the ramifications to your business in real life, and the consequences of making a mistake.

Turning a discussion on spiritual truths from Scripture back to the peronal experiences of those discussing takes the focus Off of the Bible and onto the personal lives of the people.

It becomes about what something feels like, and looks like, and seems like, instead of what the Book says.

I'm not talking about replacing the Bible with life experience. :eek: Come on, marks. You know I'm simply talking about actually living the things talked about in scripture out in real life, and understanding what is being said in scripture about it more clearly as a result. Now what's wrong with that? <head scratch>

I think you're just trying to get me to talk, LoL.
Many have taught on "the baptism of the Spirit". Many believe it. Many claim to have received it. And yet the Bible doesn't teach it. There was a particular day, that we read this happened in the Bible...

There is ONE baptism...

Oh, boy... There is a differentiation in scripture between water baptism and the baptism in the Holy Spirit, marks. If not, Peter would not have said concerning Cornelius and his family, "Can any man forbid them water baptism, seeing as they have received the Spirit even as we."
Or is it being filled with the Spirit, something that can happen over and over?

Yes, being filled with the Spirit is something that can happen over and over again, but the initial experience is what would rightly be referred to as the person's being baptized. But look, if a person is born of incorruptible seed and they are content with that then I most certainly am as well. I was no less a Christian and no less a believer before I received the baptism in the Holy Spirit, and I don't view others who have not received it yet as being in any way less a Christian either.

And I generally don't like talking about it because that's nearly always where the conversation ends up going. I invariably get accused of thinking like that. :rolleyes:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you most certainly would make a distinction between the love the Father has for the world and the love He has for His only begotten Son, yes?

We should be careful about parsing God's love . . .

John 17
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Will you limit the Love of God?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But God, in Whose hands we offer ourselves, is not a tormentor. We are placing our lives in the hands of the one Who gave Himself for us. This is what I believe is death to self. It is surrender. It is giving up. It is facing and finally dealing with the absolute reality that without Me ye can do nothing.
Amen!!

Hi Brakelike, I really think you hit the nail on the head in saying . . .

I am glad that dying in Christ...in reality...is actually far simpler than discussing what it means and what it entails.

Simple trust in Jesus to supply life in place of my death, as I count myself as dead indeed, and alive unto God in Christ.

Simple, yet difficult!

Much love!

Reactions: brakelite

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well this gets into the discussion about the gift of tongues verses tongues as a prayer language (which many believe is given to everyone who gets baptized in the Holy Spirit). That's a long discussion.
Many believe many things. I'm here to discuss Scripture. "Tongues" versus "Tongues", I'm not sure where you go from there!

What is the gift of tongues anyway? There is so much misunderstanding over so many things! People parse the spiritual gifts to conform with their ideas of being baptized in the Spirit.

;)

Do you really mean to tell believers that they lack what is needed for a full life in Christ?

But to answer another question along the same lines, for those who have not been baptized in the Holy Spirit, I would tell them to pray with their mind. The command is to pray, whether we've been baptized in it or just been born of incorruptible seed from within. So long as we are listening to Him, our prayers will be led of Him regardless.

Hmm.

Who is it who has not been baptized in the Holy Spirit? Of the born again, that is?

Much love!

Reactions: brakelite

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
99% of Christians today walk in the power of the flesh
Where do you get your numbers???

Broad brush is a fallacy, which means that what your saying lacks true content. You do not - nay, cannot - know the accuracy of this statement. So the question is . . . why do you say this? To what purpose?

What purpose could there be?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was saying it would be illogical or sinful for them to have done so. That makes them either quacks or sinners, LoL!!

Or just not willing to push the matter further. Rather to leave Paul in God's hands, since he clearly isn't willing to listen.

Nah. Leaves way too much out. Here Paul is making the biggest mistake of his ministry, and they're just acquiescing and saying "Oh well, Paul. Go screw up your life and calling if you want to." LoL. I'm just not buying it. That would have meant that everyone traveling with him in ministry would be following him in error as well.

Let's not overdramatize. We're talking about 2 lost years.

We will always, each of us, go with our own understandings on all these. Biggest mistake of his ministry? Hopefully that was true, and this was the worse it got. Paul loved his people, and wanted more than anything to turn them to Christ. But it was not to be.

[You want me to set some sort of percentages? LoL. :) I would simply answer that the scriptures promise that if we sin we have an Advocate with the Father. But our lives should be characterized by continually being led by the Spirit (which implies continually not sinning).

No, I'm not looking for a numerical answer, I'm hoping you will realize that if there is a numerical answer, we're all in trouble!

This notion, it is no longer I that live, but Christ lives in me,

I am nowhere near yet having come to the place in my spiritual life where I can truthfully say, "It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me."

Why would you think this isn't true for you? What would make it true for you?

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should be careful about parsing God's love . . .

John 17
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Will you limit the Love of God?

No, marks. But I make a distinction between the closeness the Father has with the Son and the closeness He has with you, me, and the world. But not worth debating.
Many believe many things. I'm here to discuss Scripture. "Tongues" versus "Tongues", I'm not sure where you go from there!

Numerous scriptures involved.
What is the gift of tongues anyway? There is so much misunderstanding over so many things! People parse the spiritual gifts to conform with their ideas of being baptized in the Spirit.

;)

Do you really mean to tell believers that they lack what is needed for a full life in Christ?

About the baptism in the Holy Spirit? Acts 8:12-17. If there was nothing more than water baptism, I wouldn't tell believers anything. But there is.
Who is it who has not been baptized in the Holy Spirit? Of the born again, that is?

This conversation is getting a little stale, LoL.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Or just not willing to push the matter further. Rather to leave Paul in God's hands, since he clearly isn't willing to listen.

Should they have bound him in ropes and carried him off to Rome? Or should they have spoken by the Spirit in every city what would happen if he persisted?

We will always, each of us, go with our own understandings on all these. Biggest mistake of his ministry? Hopefully that was true, and this was the worse it got. Paul loved his people, and wanted more than anything to turn them to Christ. But it was not to be.

[You want me to set some sort of percentages? LoL. :) I would simply answer that the scriptures promise that if we sin we have an Advocate with the Father. But our lives should be characterized by continually being led by the Spirit (which implies continually not sinning).

No, I'm not looking for a numerical answer, I'm hoping you will realize that if there is a numerical answer, we're all in trouble!

This notion, it is no longer I that live, but Christ lives in me, If that's not what rids our lives of sin, what does?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In general, I would say not as clearly, no. It's like the difference between taking a business course verses actually getting out there and starting and running a business. You might have been taught correctly, but you will never know just HOW correctly you were taught until you see exactly why something is true, and in what contexts, and to what extent, and the ramifications to your business in real life, and the consequences of making a mistake.

There's a point to be made here . . .

We read and learn the Bible, and two people reach two different conclusions.

One says, this is what the Bible says, so this is what I think.

The other says, this is the experience I had, so I know it means differently.

How do you settle such a matter?

I'm not talking about replacing the Bible with life experience. :eek: Come on, marks. You know I'm simply talking about actually living the things talked about in scripture out in real life, and understanding what is being said in scripture about it more clearly as a result. Now what's wrong with that? <head scratch>

If you look at what I wrote, I'm not talking about replacing the Bible with personal experience either.

But I am talking about including personal life experience in the formation of doctrine.

OK. Someone sits in church and hears, "We can be Christians, but not baptized in the Holy Spirit. Without that baptism we lack the power our lives need". Bad theology, through and through.

But a person hears that, and looks at their life, and thinks, I lack power. So I'm going to ask God to baptize me in the Spirit! They ask, and by faith, receive from God power. They may receive a filling of the Spirit.

Then they go on to say, It's true! I did need to be baptized in the Spirit! Can can feel the power!

Now, the erroneous teaching about some second baptism has seemingly been substantiated by their perceptions of what they experienced.

In reality, if we go with what the Bible says, there is One Baptism, and being saved, we are baptized into Christ, so that's it. But those who are enamoured with the idea of a second baptism do not let that idea go, and particularly when they think they've experienced this second baptism.

So has their experience brought better understanding? No. It has rather cemented them in the error they already held.

How do we avoid this? Set aside all experiences, and take our truth from the Bible. Did it seem to me that I received power that day they laid hands on me to be baptized in the Spirit? I expect that I did receive power. But was it actually a second baptism when the Bible says there is only one? No.

Not if we are willing to only go with what the Bible teaches.

I think you're just trying to get me to talk, LoL.

That too! I really enjoy discussing these things with you!

Oh, boy... There is a differentiation in scripture between water baptism and the baptism in the Holy Spirit, marks. If not, Peter would not have said concerning Cornelius and his family, "Can any man forbid them water baptism, seeing as they have received the Spirit even as we."

Not water baptism . . . baptism into Christ.

Ephesians 4
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Romans 6
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

There is one baptism, and it's into Jesus.

If we stay with what the Bible teaches us, then there is only one baptism, and this is it.

Coming back to the OP ( @bygrace ), we're talking about living dead in Christ by faith, while other voices tell us there is a second part that some may not have yet. My thinking is that if we stay with the actual teaching from the Bible, that's not so.

Much love!