What about the Death to Self message ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not beloved brothers. Beloved of the Lord is the expression we are discussing, yes?
I wish you were as particular in the rest as you are with this.

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you unto salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth."

Of course, "brethren beloved of the Lord". They are brothers, they are beloved. I really do wish you were so particular as this when, say, reading Jude.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How many believers today can say it truthfully, "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me"? and it be an accurate statement regarding the life they are actually living and not just some theological mumbo jumbo coming out of their mouth that does not accurately reflect who they really are in real life?

The world just sees hypocrisy when we make vain claims about how spiritual we are (when we are just like everyone else in reality).. even as we are blinded to our own religious conditioning.

In Romans 7 Paul says that he sins because sin is still in him. IOW it is still in him to sin...whether he wants to or not.

I think that is the actual truth about basically all of us...UNTIL we actually enter into He who knew no sin. THEN we can say...it is no longer I...because there is no more sin.

So then the religious posturers who mimic bible verses about being seated in heavenly places and such...live in a fantasy world. How can these escape rejection by the Lord?

So I try to bring correction and clarity to the situation to a people who do NOT appreciate that I am trying to help them.

But that has always been the way of humanity.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The only question is, is a person abiding in Him or is he not. We never have a righteousness of our own and never will.

Abiding in Christ is not so easy. It means to actually walk in another realm...ALL the time. In that realm...and in Him....is NO sin. So then they who seek to reduce that walk to include sin will be judged by a holy God.

As to whether we have our own righteousness or not...we will not be judged by us having God's righteousness or not. No, we will be judged BY God's righteousness in order to see if we have any righteousness.

No one is going to be judged by grace....but rather against grace. Of course God will also show mercy on whom He wills.

Christians will be judged harder than the world...because we know more and have received more than they.

There is a conspiracy from the devil AGAINST righteousness...and it is working. People think now that they can be unrighteous and just say...I have no righteousness because I rely on God's righteousness for me. And people see hypocrisy and wickedness in that person and wonder how God can justify wickedness and religious fantasy. So God is blasphemed in the world because of religious people who claim God for themselves.

If we are not righteous then we can't inherit life. Again, it is God who judges this.

We are to LEARN righteousness of the Lord...so that this way of life and thinking becomes ingrained in us. That is the way of maturity. But most modern believers keep soiling their diapers...spoiled by believing they are somehow special and can get away with more than anyone else because of a supposed privileged status.

This is to misrepresent God.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When Jesus healed people were they only "positionally" healed or were they so healed that even the unbelieving world could tell they were? Did Jesus raise the dead and walk on water...in reality and truth? Or was it only "positional"?

And yet many who claim to be His followers have no evidence in reality of their claims...citing bible verses and their adherence to those verses through a subjective religious conditioning that makes unreality a "positional' reality in their minds.

To be dead in Christ means just that...fully departed from the power of the flesh and fully entered into holiness in Christ. To walk as Jesus walked.

There is no partial crucifixion...no partial death...and no partial entrance into Christ. One is either in or out. The strange religious doctrines of today exert force on the modern believer to believe a lie.

Can we be Christians and yet not yet entered INTO Christ? Yes! We can have Christ in us and be babes in the faith. And most believers never get beyond that stage. They only add in a pretend status to that and call that being in Christ.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As to whether we have our own righteousness or not...we will not be judged by us having God's righteousness or not. No, we will be judged BY God's righteousness in order to see if we have any righteousness.

Curious . . .

Hidden in Him wrote:

We never have a righteousness of our own and never will.

Do you agree with this statement?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is going to be judged by grace....but rather against grace.
Judgment is of works, salvation is by grace, not of works. We need to understand the difference between these.

No one is cast into the Lake of Fire because of their works. They are cast into the lake of fire because their names are not in the Book of Life.

So condemnation is by not being alive unto God, while judgment is for what we did while in our bodies.

Reactions: Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can we be Christians and yet not yet entered INTO Christ? Yes!
Scripture please. This is not taught in the the Bible. At least, unless you havea some other definition of what a Christian is. How do you define Christian?

If any be in Christ, he is a new creation. Are Christians new creations?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus healed people were they only "positionally" healed or were they so healed that even the unbelieving world could tell they were?
When Paul went to see the apostles in Jerusalem, remember what happened? They didn't believe him.

Was Paul only "positionally" in Christ? But not in reality?

These are the sorts of inconsistencies I want to pay attention to, as they show something is not quite right . . .

Acts 9
26 And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple.
27 But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.

Galatians 2
2 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.
. . .
7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles
9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

The Apostles did not perceive at first the grace given to Paul, but later they did.

It's more like the woman who was healed from her 12 years of bleeding. It didn't look like it outside that anything had happened. Others couldn't tell. But she knew. And Jesus knew.

It was real, though you may not have seen it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be dead in Christ means just that...fully departed from the power of the flesh and fully entered into holiness in Christ.
I hope for your sake that you are not judged by your own words!

Truly!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we think about what is called 'the death to self message'…really it is all about US and Self!!! ( " How am I doing...always measuring the me." )
“ Am I being good and spiritual by being dead enough.?”
Hi @ ByGrace ,

Sorry for getting so far off track!

I think this discussion shows, though, the strong push to get us to measure our spiritual acceptance by God according to the visible, according to what we see, of ourselves, of others, rather than what we believe in God's Word.

Constantly checking the behavior to see if we're good enough, rather than trusting in Jesus.

There was sermon I heard recently, Michael Reeves, Everlasting to Everlasting, where he makes the point that God isn't going around trying to find some goodness is us, rather, God is in the way of putting goodness into us.

I read some of these posts, and it's like there are these voices saying over and over and over again, no, really, you're naked! You say you are clothed by you are naked!

We certainly need to believe God over them.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are remembering, right, that the Spirit forbad Paul preach in Asia that time? Consider the significance of this statement.

Paul was forbidden. What does that mean?

Paul insisted on returning to Jerusalem when the Spirit was warning him the whole way to not go. What does that tell us?

Well, I'm back again. Apparently this one is hard to put down (lol), so I guess I'll get a few responses in.

Now on this, I know the point you are making, but it's all in how you interpret the phrase "they said to Paul through the Spirit." (v.4). It's an interesting phrase in context, and let me show you why. Paul's response after Agabus comes and prophesies over him was to ask them, "What do you mean to weep and break my heart? For I am prepared not to be bound only, but to die for the name of the Lord at Jerusalem also." And after they assented to Paul's words, they told him, "The Lord's will be done." Now if the Spirit had expressly been telling Paul not to go, and that he would be sinning if he did, they would likely not have just assented to it and then said to him "the Lord's will be done." He would have been directly disobeying the will of the Lord in the matter, and they would have been sinning against him to simply assent to it. So what you gather from the context is that the Spirit was warning them about what would happen to Paul and thus through the Spirit they were pleading with him not to go. But it is they who conceded, not Paul, indicating that if his death was the Lord's will then so be it.

But about the point I think you were trying to make, yes I do think it is possible that even Paul missed it on occasion. The apostle Peter certainly did, and James said "Be there not many teachers, for we all falter much." But the issue is not sinless perfection for me, and never is. The issue is this: In spite of the occasional stumble (which we are all susceptible to), are we living lives that show to the world a person who has died to self and is abiding in Christ?

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me ask you . . . Is this true for you?

I am nowhere near yet having come to the place in my spiritual life where I can truthfully say, "It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me."

I do, however, believe I can attain to it as a fellow-believer in Christ with Paul. And I believe my theology on the issue will play a big part in if I ever do or not. If I think it is not something I could or should try to attain to, I won't even try. But if I believe that Paul wanted us to follow his example, then yes, I likewise believe it is possible for me to do so, and I'm going to do my very best to : ) This is why I feel very strongly about my position. A lot hangs in the balance. Not just for me but for all believers.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know that not all speak in tongues, right?... If praying in the Spirit is exclusively praying in tongues, and not all speak in tongues, then there's a problem, wouldn't you agree?

There is a difference between prayers led of the Spirit and prayers spoken IN the Spirit.
With the former, we are led to speak prayers ourselves, i.e. in our own words and through our own understanding. With the latter, the Spirit Himself speaks utterance directly through us, through His words and His own understanding, some of which can be utterly beyond us in the moment.
After all, should I expect someone, perhaps you, who only knows teachings and theories to understand things the same as me, who lives this?

Do you see this?

I certainly didn't mean to be insulting. I was simply asking about your experience because I think it has bearing on how you would interpret the passage. I have found many times that I understood something discussed in scripture to a far greater extent once I've actually experienced it in my life. But I wasn't trying to be insulting, or assume I knew what your answer would be either way. I was just asking you.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish you were as particular in the rest as you are with this.

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you unto salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth."

Of course, "brethren beloved of the Lord". They are brothers, they are beloved. I really do wish you were so particular as this when, say, reading Jude.

I'm actually extremely exacting with the way I translate and interpret passages. We just don't agree on what the expression "the love of God" is actually referring to.
Perhaps that God so loved the world . . .

Speculating reasons is not the same thing as reading them in Scripture.

Oh, come on! <chuckle> Now you know it's a term of endearment, yes? The Father used the same word about Jesus when He said, "Behold, My beloved Son..." Now you most certainly would make a distinction between the love the Father has for the world and the love He has for His only begotten Son, yes? Or am I mistaken? I think you are missing it here, marks. I think the term communicated a sense of special endearment, as it was very often used of sons, brothers, family members, etc.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The world just sees hypocrisy when we make vain claims about how spiritual we are (when we are just like everyone else in reality).. even as we are blinded to our own religious conditioning.

In Romans 7 Paul says that he sins because sin is still in him. IOW it is still in him to sin...whether he wants to or not.

I think that is the actual truth about basically all of us...UNTIL we actually enter into He who knew no sin. THEN we can say...it is no longer I...because there is no more sin.

So then the religious posturers who mimic bible verses about being seated in heavenly places and such...live in a fantasy world. How can these escape rejection by the Lord?

So I try to bring correction and clarity to the situation to a people who do NOT appreciate that I am trying to help them.

But that has always been the way of humanity.

I would say to the question of how they can escape, the answer is to abide increasingly in Him, and trust Him for grace concerning all we are still falling short on : )

This would be different, however, than simply trusting Him for all of it without earnestly seeking to enter in ourselves.

B

brakelite

I am glad that dying in Christ...in reality...is actually far simpler than discussing what it means and what it entails. Which is why I believe God gave us the analogy of baptism so that we may have some true insight into what in fact takes place. We must also remember that baptism is a parallel to Calvary, both having some distinct commonalities. All of the contributors to this discussion have hit on these things here and there, and I think that in essence there is more in common between you all than you may realise.
@Episkopos , @marks, @Hidden In Him , you all have mentioned certain aspects of this whole concept of death to self, so if you please, allow me to join the dots so too speak and see if I can make some sense of the whole.
Baptism...death to self...is something we must first choose. It must be a real-life and death decision we must take on board with real life consequences. It is true that it isn't just a theological construct, but a decision that results in change. And if death doesn't result in change, nothing does. It changes first the one who dies...and changes literally everyone else around him. From family to hospital staff...from funeral directors to the family lawyers who deal with the estate. Everyone near and far is affected by death more than any other life 'life' experience. Of all realities in this sin-sick world, death I believe is the most tumultuous heart rending emotional roller coaster ride anyone can experience...and that is when we observe death in others, but when we face it ourselves? When we choose to die...when we choose to take up our cross and follow Jesus...that is, that must, be the most momentous decision we can make. Jesus chose to die...lay down His own life...willingly gave Himself into the hands of His tormentors...that others may live. And that my dear friends is what we also must choose to do. But God, in Whose hands we offer ourselves, is not a tormentor. We are placing our lives in the hands of the one Who gave Himself for us. This is what I believe is death to self. It is surrender. It is giving up. It is facing and finally dealing with the absolute reality that without Me ye can do nothing.
We cannot place ourselves on that cross. Nor can we baptise ourselves. Someone else must crucify us...someone else must lay us down into the water. Someone else must resurrect us, as someone else must raise us up out of the water. It is true that God speaks of things that are not, as though they were. I believe that this was how creation came about. God's creative power is found in His word. He speaks...'stuff' happens. But God has stipulated and I'm sure for very good reasons, that when it comes to appropriating that same 'stuff' for ourselves, that 'stuff' (like imputed righteousness etc) must be appropriated by faith. This is the only way. It is through our complete belief, and acting upon that belief, (like through submitting ourselves to baptism), in God's creative power in His word, that we are literally born again and become new creatures. So @"ByGrace" was onto something when she said,
"Let Us Draw Near…"in FULL assurance of faith.."

Time we believed what The Word has told us… For Ye are dead, and our new life is hid with Christ in God “

But we must remember...there are consequences. There must be consequences. Death has consequences. Our faith in the creative power of God has consequences. It changes us. It changes those all around us. And if it doesn't; if all we are doing is discussing a theological concept and debating terms and conditions, without any of it having any real life consequences that affect not only us but our family, our friends, and the people we interact with day in day out, then we are not dead. And we need to be. Because if we aren't dead, we can't live.
So, what are these changes that death brings? Well, that's actually quite easy to answer. All those things that the former carnal man couldn't do, the new creature can, and does. Period.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would say to the question of how they can escape, the answer is to abide increasingly in Him, and trust Him for grace concerning all we are still falling short on : )

This would be different, however, than simply trusting Him for all of it without earnestly seeking to enter in ourselves.

But this idea quickly becomes ...always learning (improving) but never coming into the knowledge of the truth.

One cannot increasingly abide in Him anymore than one increasingly tries to enter a house. Either you enter in or not. And it is God that permits or denies that entrance. It is His house.

The bible is a record of what it takes to enter in. A full surrender and an asking, seeking and knocking.

Our lack of need of God is really the roadblock to our understanding of our actual need of Him.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, what are these changes that death brings? Well, that's actually quite easy to answer. All those things that the former carnal man couldn't do, the new creature can, and does.

Quite a wind up for this, lol.

I suppose that is a way of summing it up, yes, though I would favor a more descriptive answer myself. But at least it's contemplative : )

Reactions: brakelite

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But this idea quickly becomes ...always learning (improving) but never coming into the knowledge of the truth.

One cannot increasingly abide in Him anymore than one increasingly tries to enter a house. Either you enter in or not. And it is God that permits or denies that entrance. It is His house.

You'd have to go into more detail here, Episkopos. This sounds again like the application of a theological construct to me, but maybe you can explain it more clearly.