What are the main doctrinal differences between Jehovah's Witnesses and mainstream Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your input on this. I'm not well-acquainted w/ JWs, but know that they are "Arians" in regard to their view of the Trinity. That is, they don't accept the Trinity, the co-equality and distinction of all 3 Persons. Instead, they see Jesus as the Word of God made flesh in the sense of being a "lesser god"--not the Father God, not the infinite God.

So they use a lot of biblical language and sound orthodox, but in reality are not in the least orthodox with respect to the Trinity. On the contrary, they seem bitterly opposed to doctrinally-orthodox and organized Christianity. They are deeply critical and judgmental towards regular Christians.

This attitude is not, of course, the "love of God." Although JWs can demonstrate God's love, their attitude towards regular Christians is reprehensible. Regular Christians may, of course, criticize and reprove their own fellow Christians, having an attitude of wanting to correct them in love, and ultimately, to build them up in love.

But JWs have no sense of brotherhood with conventional Christians, instead wishing to denounce them as apostate when in reality JWs are the apostates. True Christians wish to see JWs correct their beliefs in accord with the Bible and so meet God through Jesus, His Son. Jesus is *not* just a moral example. He is not just a higher spiritual plane Rather, he is God incarnate. In finding the Way in him we come into a relationship with God the Father.

We don't consider people in Catholic churches and protestants churches to be apostates. Apostates are people who believed the truth about the true God then reject it. So the only people we would consider to be an apostate is someone who was once a baptized Jehovah's Witness then rejected what they once believed to be true, and speak out against the JW's and what they teach.
We don't believe the protestant and Catholic churches were ever truly based on the truth about the true God YHWH and his only begotten Son Jesus Christ, so we don't believe that the protestant and Catholic churches to be apostates. We do believe them to be teaching false things about the true God and his only begotten Son Jesus Christ.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't consider people in Catholic churches and protestants churches to be apostates. Apostates are people who believed the truth about the true God then reject it. So the only people we would consider to be an apostate is someone who was once a baptized Jehovah's Witness then rejected what they once believed to be true, and speak out against the JW's and what they teach.
We don't believe the protestant and Catholic churches were ever truly based on the truth about the true God YHWH and his only begotten Son Jesus Christ, so we don't believe that the protestant and Catholic churches to be apostates. We do believe them to be teaching false things about the true God and his only begotten Son Jesus Christ.
Well, I appreciate that, Barney. I'm not sure how true that is, but I appreciate the sentiments nonetheless. From what I heard here recently, the representative JW seemed caustic and hateful towards Christians. Maybe I just perceived it that way, but I saw nothing "loving" in it. Don't you believe in what Christ said, "Love your enemies?"

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I appreciate that, Barney. I'm not sure how true that is, but I appreciate the sentiments nonetheless. From what I heard here recently, the representative JW seemed caustic and hateful towards Christians. Maybe I just perceived it that way, but I saw nothing "loving" in it. Don't you believe in what Christ said, "Love your enemies?"
People talk about JW hatefully and with hurtful language too.
The scriptures tell us to hate what the True ,God says is bad, so I will always hate what I believe to be false religion, because what is false religion belongs to Satan, and what belongs to Satan is bad, so I will always hate what is bad. That doesn't mean that we should be hateful to individuals. But as I've said I've heard those in Christendom speak hatefully about JW and to JW, but I understand that no one is perfect and we all, let our emotions get the best of us, sometimes.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The below few verses contradict JW false doctrine that Christ is less than or not equal to God

Phil 2:6

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

John 10:30

30 I and my Father are one.

Hebrews 1:8

8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.​

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The below few verses contradict JW false doctrine that Christ is less than or not equal to God

Phil 2:6

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

John 10:30

30 I and my Father are one.

Hebrews 1:8

8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.​

These have been repudiated perhaps 100's of times already on these forums BUT we are no longer allowed to discuss it. See the rules of prohibited topics.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, because that is the number seen in heaven with Jesus...
"Then I saw, and look! the Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who have his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads. . . .And they are singing what seems to be a new song before the throne. . . . and no one was able to master that song except the 144,000, who have been bought from the earth. . . . .These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb, 5 and no deceit was found in their mouths; they are without blemish." (Rev 14:1-5)

They will rule with Jesus as "kings and priests" in his Kingdom....they are chosen as Spiritual Israel, not fleshly Israel. (Gal 6:16)
Do some research and you'll find that the Great Crowd is also in heaven. They stand before the throne.
Anyone who has been judged by God as unworthy of life will not return in the resurrection. (Like the Pharisees whom Jesus consigned to "gehenna"......unlike "hades" it is a place of no return) But Jehovah is the one who determines who is in "hades" and who is in "gehenna".....neither of which has anything to do with Christendom's "hell'. Gehenna is eternal death, which is the opposite of eternal life.
And how many judgements are there Jane?
Not so....all of the pre-Christian servants of God will "inherit the earth" along with those who survive Armageddon.
So only those who were servants of God will inherit the earth? That means the vast majority of those who lived in OT times will stay dead, no resurrection for them?

So let's look at the math here. ONLY servants of God will inherit the earth, right? As I said, the vast majority will stay dead, no hope of a resurrection for them, because they didn't serve God. Armageddon will come and destroy all those who did not listen to the message of Jehovah's Witnesses or serve God. Then all the servants of God will go through the 1,000 year reign of Christ. Tell me for what purpose? They all know God, after all they did serve Him. So they go through the millennial reign and grow to perfection, right? Then when they are perfect as Adam was, Satan will be let loose to tempt and deceived as he did Adam and Eve. According to your beliefs those who fall away will be like the sands of the seashore, that's a lot of people, servants of God. Seems to me that God won the battle, but lost the war. In other words Satan was right, man only serves God for what He gives them. When you understand the true meaning of the ransom, you'll come to know how wonderful Jehovah's great plan of salvation is.

That is a bit twisted....our brothers on the governing body are spirit anointed Christians who are appointed to lead us into the new world that we are awaiting. (2 Peter 3:13) They are not our masters but our shepherds, who serve the same master as we do...Jesus Christ.
And where is that in scripture? You do understand according to your belief system that you have NO standing with God. You don't have the holy spirit, you're not in a covenant relationship with God. Your survival is hinged on doing what the governing body tells you. men who are constantly changing their belief system.
It was Jesus who promised to be "with" those he commissioned to take "the good news of the Kingdom" out into the "entire inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations" before he brings the curtain down on this wicked world. (Matt24:14; Matt 28:19-20)
As far as I can see no one has taken up the challenge to "preach the good news of the kingdom" as Jesus said it should be done....except Jehovah's Witnesses.
But he told that to the spirit-begotten, the anointed, where do the vast majority of the JW's come in? Seems like the GB have outsourced the preaching work.
Where did Jesus say that his return would be visible? He told his apostles that a "sign" was needed in world events to identify the time of his "parousia"(Matt 24:3-14 which is his "presence")....his "coming" as judge is at the end of the last days in which we are now living, and all the signs that Jesus gave have all been in evidence since 1914. We believe that the end is very close.
Ah, so Jesus is here, that would mean He is reigning, his Kingdom has started, right?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do some research and you'll find that the Great Crowd is also in heaven. They stand before the throne.
Standing before the throne of God indicates that they acknowledge their Sovereign Lord, Jehovah God. There are various ways one can "stand". Not all are literal.
The great crowd are seen "coming out of the great tribulation" which occurs on earth, not in heaven. (Rev 7:13-14) They have white robes on, indicating a clean standing with God, and the palm branches are a symbol of peace. Can Christendom rightly be represented like that?
Are they "peacemakers" as Jesus said his disciples must be? How much blood is on their hands as they support the bloodshed of their nation's governments? (Isa 1:15)
And how many judgements are there Jane?
Two. One before the Kingdom takes over rulership of this earth (separation of sheep from goats) and the other at the end of the thousand years, when satan is let loose to try and tempt the now sinless human race with his tried and tested methods. (Rev 20:1-3) Many of these redeemed ones will never have had their faith tested, so they will then. Many will not pass that final test, but the ones who do will enjoy the reinstatement of God's original purpose for this earth....he formed it to be inhabited.
Isa 45:18...
"For so said the Lord, the Creator of heaven, Who is God, Who formed the earth and made it, He established it; He did not create it for a waste, He formed it to be inhabited, "I am the Lord and there is no other." (Complete Tanakh)
So only those who were servants of God will inherit the earth? That means the vast majority of those who lived in OT times will stay dead, no resurrection for them?
No that is not what I said. All the pre-human servants of God will be resurrected to "life" as those who have already proven faithful to their death. Jesus says in John 5:28-29 that they do not need judgment, but those who have died in ignorance and perhaps were guilty of evil deeds will be resurrected to judgment....not for the things they did before their death, because death is the wages of sin...they have paid their debt. They will be judged on what they do after their resurrection.
So let's look at the math here. ONLY servants of God will inherit the earth, right? As I said, the vast majority will stay dead, no hope of a resurrection for them, because they didn't serve God.
Wrong....please don't assume to put words in my mouth.....if you misunderstand something, ask....I'll set you straight.

There are only two places for the dead to go...."sheol/hades is the common grave of all mankind, and all in sheol/hades will be resurrected.
Those consigned to "gehenna" however, will never see life again because this death is everlasting. Only God knows who is in gehenna so that is not our call.
Armageddon will come and destroy all those who did not listen to the message of Jehovah's Witnesses or serve God. Then all the servants of God will go through the 1,000 year reign of Christ. Tell me for what purpose? They all know God, after all they did serve Him. So they go through the millennial reign and grow to perfection, right? Then when they are perfect as Adam was, Satan will be let loose to tempt and deceived as he did Adam and Eve. According to your beliefs those who fall away will be like the sands of the seashore, that's a lot of people, servants of God. Seems to me that God won the battle, but lost the war. In other words Satan was right, man only serves God for what He gives them. When you understand the true meaning of the ransom, you'll come to know how wonderful Jehovah's great plan of salvation is.
Interesting take but not quite correct.
Armageddon will destroy all who reject the message of the Kingdom that was to be "preached in the entire inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations" before the foretold "end" would come (Matt 24:14)....and as far as I can see there are no churches out "preaching the good news of the Kingdom", because none of them know exactly what it is...or what its purpose is that is "good news". Most have no idea what the Lord's Prayer means. How does the Kingdom "come"? When is God's will "done on earth as it is in heaven"?

Jesus said he would be "with" his disciples in this very important work (Matt 28:19-20) because it is the only "witness" that humans all over the world will get....so who is out preaching in all the world with one united message about God's Kingdom? Christendom can't even agree on what they believe. It is a divided, bickering mess. Any wonder Jesus will say he "never knew" those people. (Matt 7:21-23)

In my whole life I have never had a single church member ever come to my door with any message at all. In fact no one has ever called on me...except Jehovah's Witnesses....and the Mormons, who have no message about the Kingdom anyway....so how does that work? Who are doing what Jesus commanded? (Matt 10:11-14)

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Continued...
And where is that in scripture? You do understand according to your belief system that you have NO standing with God. You don't have the holy spirit, you're not in a covenant relationship with God. Your survival is hinged on doing what the governing body tells you. men who are constantly changing their belief system.
LOL...that could not be further from the truth. No standing with God? Who said? No holy spirit? Who said? Not in a covenant relationship with God? Who said?
Our survival is dependent upon the same person that your survival depends on.....Jesus Christ, who knows exactly who his 'elect' are and what he wants them to do whilst they are still in the flesh. He knows who his 'sheep' are too because they obey his voice.

When Jesus comes to separate the sheep from the goats....Matthew 25:32-40 says....

“But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 And all the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, just as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, but the goats on the left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You as a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of Mine, you did it for Me.’"

Who are Jesus' "brothers and sisters"? They are the elect and the sheep support them in their assignment. They are the ones in a covenant relationship with God through Christ and are authorized to lead sinful mankind back into reconciliation with their estranged Father. That is the purpose of the whole Kingdom arrangement....eliminating sin and bringing mankind back to Edenic conditions on earth. (Rev 21:2-4)

Jesus said that supporting his 'brothers and sisters' was like doing that for him personally. So the "sheep" are not the elect but supporters of the elect, whom we believe are guided by our governing body....the ones Jesus called his "faithful and discreet slave", charged with "feeding" his household "their food at the proper time". (Matt 24:45) When the Master arrives he will reward them with commendation for a job well done.

The "sheep" are to inherit the Kingdom prepared for them from the time when sin necessitated that a detour from God's original purpose was needed. The earth was not designed as a training ground for heaven, but as mankind's permanent home....the three original rebels messed that up, but true to his word, God always carries out his purpose to a successful conclusion. (Isa 55:11)
But he told that to the spirit-begotten, the anointed, where do the vast majority of the JW's come in? Seems like the GB have outsourced the preaching work.
The majority of Jehovah's Witnesses are the "sheep" because we do not see any other global body of Christians carrying out 'the great commission' as Jesus instructed. (Matt 10:11-14; Acts 20:20) The preaching work is what separates the 'wheat' from the 'weeds'....and the 'sheep' from the 'goats'.
The counterfeit Christians cannot do this work as Jesus instructed because they see no necessity to go out to preach. Jesus said it would be done right to end of this present world system. Why are the churches MIA? Because God's spirit is the driving force behind the work....and it cannot be done without it.
Ah, so Jesus is here, that would mean He is reigning, his Kingdom has started, right?
Jesus has been crowned as King now for over 100 years, and is currently 'ruling in the midst of his enemies' as it was prophesied in Psalm 110:1-2. His first act as king was to evict satan and his demons from heaven, down to the earth which we believe happened in 1914. (Dan 7:13-14; Rev 12:-7-12) The world has been spiraling down into chaos ever since, despite all the advancements in science and technology.
We have entered the time which Jesus said would be "just like the days of Noah" (Matt 24:37-39) when human conduct became so debased that it forced God to intervene to end the wickedness. Are we in any doubt that we have reached that level again when the demonic activity is influencing such violence and degradation among mankind? There are no morals anymore. Its a free-for-all...

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Standing before the throne of God indicates that they acknowledge their Sovereign Lord, Jehovah God. There are various ways one can "stand". Not all are literal.
Hmm ... so I guess the angels, and the four living creatures as well as the elders who stand before the throne are on earth too?

Let's look at the Great Crowd in Rev 7, where John asked who they were and one of the elders says starting in verse 14

“These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them. 16 They shall neither hunger anymore nor thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any heat; 17 for the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to [c]living fountains of waters. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”​

Notice verse 15 states that "they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple". The Greek word rendered “temple” (naos) primarily refers to the Holy of Holies and not to the entire temple complex as the JW’s have mistakenly tried to prove. (See Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon) Even the New World Translation Reference Bible (1985 Edition) has a footnote rendering the word temple as “divine habitation”. And, as we know, Jehovah’s “divine habitation” is in heaven and not on the earth. This same Greek word “naos” is also used in the Septuagint at Psalm 45:15 where we are told that the virgins and her companions are brought into the king’s “palace” for the wedding ceremony. Once again proving that the Great Crowd is in heaven and not on earth. Interestingly enough, the Society still holds to the interpretation that the companions refer to the Great Crowd not realizing that they’ve got a contradiction on their hands. [See the Watchtower publication “Revelation: It’s Grand Climax at Hand!”, pg. 277 where we read: “Then the marriage is performed, the heavenly bride being attended on earth by her virgin companions, the great crowd.” (?!)]

The Greek word “naos” refers to the temple building itself although in some contexts it refers more specifically and restrictively to the “Most Holy” as shown in the Greek lexical sources that cited. Rev. 7:15 is referring to a spiritual class in heaven and not to a fleshly class on earth as the Witnesses teach since entering the “Most Holy” in the antitype implies a change of nature (fleshly to spiritual). Neither the context nor the Greek allow for the JW’s interpretation of an earthly class, especially in light of Psalm 45 where it plainly states that the virgins’ companions (typical of the Great Crowd) follow her into the palace (naos, in the Septuagint).

The Witnesses try to explain away the use of the word “naos” in Rev. 7:15 by saying that it was a synonym of “hieron” which not only refers to the building but also to the courtyard, that is to say, the entire temple complex. They need to try to convince people of this because they teach that the Great Crowd is essentially in the court of the Gentiles which would be outside of the temple. However, the Greek of Rev. 7:15 clearly shows that the Great Crowd is inside the building not in the courtyard because “naos” is more restrictive than “hieron”.

In bringing these lexical points out, I don't mean to imply that in the type the Levites served in the “Most Holy.” Only the High Priest was allowed to enter there, especially on the Day of Atonement. I'm simply showing that the Great Crowd is a heavenly class instead of an earthly one which is driven home with the translation “divine habitation” (as found in the NWT’s footnotes) since Jehovah’s temple as shown in the Book of Revelation is in heaven and not on earth. One only need to consult all of the occurrences of the word “temple” in the Revelation to see that it is the Greek word “naos” that is used. Incidentally, the Greek word “hieron” does not occur even once in the entire book of Revelation which is telling in and of itself.

Two. One before the Kingdom takes over rulership of this earth (separation of sheep from goats) and the other at the end of the thousand years, when satan is let loose to try and tempt the now sinless human race with his tried and tested methods. (Rev 20:1-3) Many of these redeemed ones will never have had their faith tested, so they will then. Many will not pass that final test, but the ones who do will enjoy the reinstatement of God's original purpose for this earth....he formed it to be inhabited.
Can you show me where in scriptures the first judgement is? Thanks!
No that is not what I said. All the pre-human servants of God will be resurrected to "life" as those who have already proven faithful to their death. Jesus says in John 5:28-29 that they do not need judgment, but those who have died in ignorance and perhaps were guilty of evil deeds will be resurrected to judgment....not for the things they did before their death, because death is the wages of sin...they have paid their debt. They will be judged on what they do after their resurrection.
So if ignorance is bliss, why not give them all that chance? By your preaching work, you are messengers of doom and not of Good News. If someone rejected your message, they are put into second death. You're right, ignorance is bliss. Some people will never see the Truth, because they are blinded by Satan, after all he is the god of this world. In fact we're told that if these days were not shortened, even the very elect would be deceived. (Matt, 24:24) Jesus died a "ransom for all", every man, women and child who ever died, with the exception of those who sinned against the spirit, and that only applies to the spirit begotten class, will enter the Kingdom reign of Christ. It is there as you correctly stated that they will be judged, not on the past deeds, but those deeds during the reign, and eventually tested in the end when Satan is let loose.
Wrong....please don't assume to put words in my mouth.....if you misunderstand something, ask....I'll set you straight.

There are only two places for the dead to go...."sheol/hades is the common grave of all mankind, and all in sheol/hades will be resurrected.
Those consigned to "gehenna" however, will never see life again because this death is everlasting.
On this we agree.
Only God knows who is in gehenna so that is not our call.
True it is not your call, and yet you make it your call by your preaching work.
Armageddon will destroy all who reject the message of the Kingdom that was to be "preached in the entire inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations" before the foretold "end" would come (Matt 24:14)....and as far as I can see there are no churches out "preaching the good news of the Kingdom", because none of them know exactly what it is...or what its purpose is that is "good news". Most have no idea what the Lord's Prayer means. How does the Kingdom "come"? When is God's will "done on earth as it is in heaven"?
So you admit it, that those who reject your message and do not join your ranks have been judged to die at Armageddon.
Jesus said he would be "with" his disciples in this very important work (Matt 28:19-20) because it is the only "witness" that humans all over the world will get....so who is out preaching in all the world with one united message about God's Kingdom? Christendom can't even agree on what they believe. It is a divided, bickering mess. Any wonder Jesus will say he "never knew" those people. (Matt 7:21-23)
And who are his disciples? Is it not those who follow in his footsteps? Those who are spirit begotten, those who have been called out of this dark world into His marvelous light? Those who will live and reign with him? There is no other group
In my whole life I have never had a single church member ever come to my door with any message at all. In fact no one has ever called on me...except Jehovah's Witnesses....and the Mormons, who have no message about the Kingdom anyway....so how does that work? Who are doing what Jesus commanded? (Matt 10:11-14)
I've had Witnesses, Adventist, Mormons, Baptist and others come to my door. You do realize that the door to door work is not the only way to reach people. I think if you took a poll of the witnesses in your area and asked them how they became witnesses, the No. 1 answer would be they were born into it. And if you asked those who had no connection to the Witnesses how they became witnesses, the vast majority would say it wasn't through the door to door work. Most likely it was through a friend, co-worker or relative.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Witnesses try to explain away the use of the word “naos” in Rev. 7:15 by saying that it was a synonym of “hieron” which not only refers to the building but also to the courtyard, that is to say, the entire temple complex. They need to try to convince people of this because they teach that the Great Crowd is essentially in the court of the Gentiles which would be outside of the temple. However, the Greek of Rev. 7:15 clearly shows that the Great Crowd is inside the building not in the courtyard because “naos” is more restrictive than “hieron”.
Yes, inside the building, but not necessarily in the sanctuary. For example, in the Bible account of where Jesus drove the money changers and merchants out of Herod’s temple, the original Greek "na·osʹ" is used there too. There it says... “Jesus answered, ‘Destroy this sanctuary [na·osʹ], and in three days I will raise it up’. The Jews replied, ‘It has taken forty-six years to build this sanctuary [na·osʹ]: are you going to raise it up in three days?’ But he was speaking of the sanctuary [na·osʹ] that was his body.” (John 2:19-21) By “sanctuary,” what did those Jews mean? They meant the temple structure as a whole, including its courtyards, in one of which the money changers and merchants were conducting their commercial activities....so I think that exposes your theory as error. The great crowd are not in the Temple but within its structure. God kingdom with Christ and his bride are seen bringing its rulership to the earth. (Rev 21:1-4)
Can you show me where in scriptures the first judgement is? Thanks!
“When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit down on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will put the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right: ‘Come, you who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world.....
“Then he will say to those on his left: ‘Go away from me, you who have been cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the Devil and his angels......
These will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life.”

Sounds like a judgment to me....granting life to some and "everlasting cutting off" for those who failed to support Christ's brothers.

"Like the days of Noah" (Matt 24:3-39) we are in a judgment period where the warning message is preached and people's destiny is set when they either accept the message and come on board the figurative ark, or they reject it and perish.
Peter likened the ark to our Baptism.....saved through the waters. Baptism is undertaken when one has taken the necessary steps to get to know God and his Christ (John 17:3)....and they then present themselves for full immersion baptism, publicly symbolizing their beginning a new life as a disciples of Jesus Christ.
So if ignorance is bliss, why not give them all that chance? By your preaching work, you are messengers of doom and not of Good News. If someone rejected your message, they are put into second death. You're right, ignorance is bliss. Some people will never see the Truth, because they are blinded by Satan, after all he is the god of this world.
Those who died in ignorance were not privy to the Christian message....they probably lived at a time, or in a part of the world where Jehovah and his Christ were completely unknown. God does not punish sins that are committed in ignorance.

Paul tells us of two different kinds of people who will perish at the judgment....
2 Thess 1:5-10...
"This is a proof of the righteous judgment of God, leading to your being counted worthy of the Kingdom of God, for which you are indeed suffering.
6 This takes into account that it is righteous on God’s part to repay tribulation to those who make tribulation for you. 7 But you who suffer tribulation will be given relief along with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels 8 in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance on those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus. 9 These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength, 10 at the time when he comes to be glorified in connection with his holy ones and to be regarded in that day with wonder among all those who exercised faith, because the witness we gave met with faith among you."

So "those who don't know God" because they don't want to.....and those who know, but who fail to "obey" his teachings....both are equally guilty in God's eyes.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Continued...

In fact we're told that if these days were not shortened, even the very elect would be deceived. (Matt, 24:24) Jesus died a "ransom for all", every man, women and child who ever died, with the exception of those who sinned against the spirit, and that only applies to the spirit begotten class, will enter the Kingdom reign of Christ. It is there as you correctly stated that they will be judged, not on the past deeds, but those deeds during the reign, and eventually tested in the end when Satan is let loose.
It is true that Jesus died for all, but continuing life has always been conditional, right from the beginning. In order to keep living, the first humans had to be obedient to God's commands. If they disobeyed, death was the penalty.
Can you tell me why God allowed us to live this life, with all its trials and tragedy? That is not how we started, is it?

True it is not your call, and yet you make it your call by your preaching work.
It was commanded by Jesus that the preaching work be done right up to the day of his judgment. (Matt 24:14; Matt 28:19-20)
We are not their judge, like Noah, we are merely messengers. No one has to believe what we say, but I am guessing that many will wish they had, just as the people of Noah's day found out too late that they could have saved themselves, but chose instead to trust their own judgment.
So you admit it, that those who reject your message and do not join your ranks have been judged to die at Armageddon.
Those who survive Armageddon will be those whom Jesus counts "worthy". (2 Thess 1:5) It is his judgment that counts after all.
I've had Witnesses, Adventist, Mormons, Baptist and others come to my door. You do realize that the door to door work is not the only way to reach people. I think if you took a poll of the witnesses in your area and asked them how they became witnesses, the No. 1 answer would be they were born into it. And if you asked those who had no connection to the Witnesses how they became witnesses, the vast majority would say it wasn't through the door to door work. Most likely it was through a friend, co-worker or relative.
If you live in the US, that is not surprising, as so many in the USA identify themselves as 'Christians', but America is not the world. Jesus said that the good news was to be preached "in ALL the inhabited earth for a witness to ALL the nations" which means that people of all nations would receive a witness....the same witness in every land.

Door to door preaching is seen as a life saving, 'search and rescue mission' (Acts 20:20).....when there is a national emergency and people need to be warned about something that will impact on their lives, the emergency services personnel will go "door to door" making sure that no one is missed. Not everyone has a TV or the internet turned on at all times. And not all will follow through on what they are told to do either, but they were warned. (Prov 3:5-6)

I personally came into the truth through the door to door work. All the people I studied the Bible with were those I found in the door to door ministry. The majority of Witnesses are not second generation because we do not baptize infants. Our children have to make up their own minds and hearts about the worship of Jehovah. When they are of age, they will make their own choices....no one is born a JW....you have to choose to become one.
And yes, all opportunities are used to give people a witness.....as Paul said...
Rom 10:14-15...
"However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? 15 How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent out? Just as it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!”

Jesus has sent us out to preach about his Kingdom......so who are out there doing what Jesus commanded in every nation on earth?
Perhaps they should read Ezekiel 3:1-18?....
“Son of man, I have appointed you as a watchman to the house of Israel; and when you hear a word from my mouth, you must warn them from me. 18 When I say to someone wicked, ‘You will surely die,’ but you do not warn him, and you fail to speak in order to warn the wicked one to turn from his wicked course so that he may stay alive, he will die for his error because he is wicked, but I will ask his blood back from you."
I don't see the churches doing anything but sitting in their buildings hoping someone may wander in. A great many are walking away because they do not feel that religion is relevant to their lives anymore....and who can blame them? The church system is in disunited chaos.

Preaching is not a recommendation, but a command with consequences and responsibilities if we fail in our commission.

Last edited:

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, inside the building, but not necessarily in the sanctuary. For example, in the Bible account of where Jesus drove the money changers and merchants out of Herod’s temple, the original Greek "na·osʹ" is used there too. There it says... “Jesus answered, ‘Destroy this sanctuary [na·osʹ], and in three days I will raise it up’. The Jews replied, ‘It has taken forty-six years to build this sanctuary [na·osʹ]: are you going to raise it up in three days?’ But he was speaking of the sanctuary [na·osʹ] that was his body.” (John 2:19-21) By “sanctuary,” what did those Jews mean? They meant the temple structure as a whole, including its courtyards, in one of which the money changers and merchants were conducting their commercial activities....so I think that exposes your theory as error. The great crowd are not in the Temple but within its structure. God kingdom with Christ and his bride are seen bringing its rulership to the earth. (Rev 21:1-4)
Are you sure they meant the temple as a whole? It seems you're interpreting what they say to fit your narrative. Jesus was speaking of the Temple (naos) the structure itself, there was nothing in the courtyard that would warrant destruction ... what a few tables to sell things? No, it was the actual structure itself. As a side note, as you well know, Jesus was referring to his body, the Jews were referring to the structure.

RR

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We must read a text in its context:

Rev. 6:15 Then the kings of the earth, the high officials, the military commanders, the rich, the strong, every slave, and every free person hid in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains. 16 And they keep saying to the mountains and to the rocks: “Fall over us and hide us from the face of the One seated on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb, 17 because the great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?

A few verses later that question is answered:

Rev. 7:9 After this I saw, and look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands.

The expressions "to stand" and "before the throne" do not necessarily mean a physical position. In the Bible these expressions are sometimes associated with the holding of a favored or approved position in the eyes of the one in whose presence the individual or group stands. (it-1 Great Crowd __ https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001762 ). It can be understood in the following words of Jesus:

Luke 21:36 Keep awake, then, all the time making supplication that you may succeed in escaping all these things that must occur and in standing before the Son of man.

A similar use of these expressions can be found in the following Biblical text:

Psal. 5:5 No arrogant person may stand in your presence. You hate all those who behave wickedly;

Rev. 7:9,15 DO NOT INDICATE that the great crowd is in heaven with Jesus and his anointed brothers, who will be the kings and priests, but that they enjoy God's approval and are allowed to survive the great tribulation because of that favored position. Those who survive the great tribulation that will occur on earth will remain on earth because God approved their salvation. At no time does the Bible say that the great crowd will go to heavens as it is said of the group of "kings and priests" (and that occurs before the Millenium even started) ... neither does the Bible say that non-Christians can survive the judgment that all of humanity will have to face; there is no human salvation without Jesus Christ.

The condition of "standing before the throne of God" that the great crowd is in, is a condition that they have acquired by their constant service SINCE BEFORE the great tribulation began (Matt. 25:34,40) and during it (Matt. 24:13), not just after the great tribulation ended.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you sure they meant the temple as a whole? It seems you're interpreting what they say to fit your narrative. Jesus was speaking of the Temple (naos) the structure itself, there was nothing in the courtyard that would warrant destruction ... what a few tables to sell things? No, it was the actual structure itself.

RR
"A few tables to sell things"???? Seriously?
Matt 21:12-13...after his triumphal ride into Jerusalem....
"Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. 13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ "
Why did he say this?
John 2:16...
"And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!

Selling sacrificial animals right there in the Temple at extorted prices was making God's House into "a den of thieves"......."a mere house of merchandise"...somewhere to make profits off their own brothers when offering to God their sacrifices. Jesus was very angry about that....and rightly so. To commercialize anything that has to do with his Father's worship will engender the same response from our judge again in the future.

Are you going to tell me that these animals were in the holy part of the Temple? You think that they would be allowed to foul up that sacred place with their droppings?

1684212660292.png

1684212902142.png
The Temple was inside the walls....yet the walls were part of the Temple area.

As a side note, as you well know, Jesus was referring to his body, the Jews were referring to the structure.
I know that, but the Jews were speaking about the physical Temple....if "naos" was where the animals were sold, then it wasn't the just the sanctuary.

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"A few tables to sell things"???? Seriously?
Matt 21:12-13...after his triumphal ride into Jerusalem....
"Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. 13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ "
Why did he say this?
John 2:16...
"And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!

Selling sacrificial animals right there in the Temple at extorted prices was making God's House into "a den of thieves"......."a mere house of merchandise"...somewhere to make profits off their own brothers when offering to God their sacrifices. Jesus was very angry about that....and rightly so. To commercialize anything that has to do with his Father's worship will engender the same response from our judge again in the future.

Are you going to tell me that these animals were in the holy part of the Temple? You think that they would be allowed to foul up that sacred place with their droppings?

View attachment 32627

View attachment 32628
The Temple was inside the walls....yet the walls were part of the Temple area.

I know that, but the Jews were speaking about the physical Temple....if "naos" was where the animals were sold, then it wasn't the just the sanctuary.
Thank Jane, for some interesting thoughts to consider. Let me ask, is there a different word for the Temple proper as opposed to the overall Temple sanctuary complex?

In this particular passage below, the temple would apply specifically veil between the Holy and Most Holy in the temple.
Mt 27:51 Then, behold, the veil of the temple <3485> was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split,

It seems that Zacharias went into the Holy into the temple to offer incense on the incense alter. Would that be the incense alter in the Holy? Do you think there was some other incense alter referred to?
Lu 1:9 according to the custom of the priesthood, his lot fell to burn incense when he went into the temple <3485> of the Lord.

Exodus 30:6-7 (NKJV) “6 “And you shall put it before the veil that is before the ark of the Testimony, before the mercy seat that is over the Testimony, where I will meet with you. 7 “Aaron shall burn on it sweet incense every morning; when he tends the lamps, he shall burn incense on it.”

What do you think?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank Jane, for some interesting thoughts to consider. Let me ask, is there a different word for the Temple proper as opposed to the overall Temple sanctuary complex?
Yes, the two words are "naos" and "hieros".
But we are nit picking.....naos pertains to the sanctuary, whilst hieros pertains to the entire temple area which was also considered "holy".
Speaking of Judas, Matt 27:5 says....
"And he threw the pieces of silver into the temple G3485 [naos] sanctuary G3485 [naos] and left; and he went away and hanged himself."
Where would Judas have thrown the money? The word used is "naos". Judas had no access to the holy or most holy part of the Temple.
In this particular passage below, the temple would apply specifically veil between the Holy and Most Holy in the temple.
Mt 27:51 Then, behold, the veil of the temple <3485> was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split,
The significance of the veil being torn in two from top to bottom was indicative of the way to heaven now being open to the elect who would follow Jesus as his "joint heirs"...the future kings and priests who would officiate in his kingdom.
Jesus was the "firstborn from the dead" (Col 1:15) inasmuch as he was the first human to die and receive a heavenly resurrection. Others were to follow as "firstfruits" to God and to the Lamb.

"Then I looked, and behold, a Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His Father’s name written on their foreheads. . . . .They sang as it were a new song before the throne, before the four living creatures, and the elders; and no one could learn that song except the hundred and forty-four thousand who were redeemed from the earth. 4 These are the ones . . . .who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb. 5 And in their mouth was found no deceit, for they are without fault before the throne of God." (Rev 14:1-5)

Mt Zion is in heaven (the New Jerusalem). To these agricultural people, "firstfruits" were the best of the crop, but the secondary fruits were to follow......just not of that quality.

It seems that Zacharias went into the Holy into the temple to offer incense on the incense alter. Would that be the incense alter in the Holy? Do you think there was some other incense alter referred to?
Lu 1:9 according to the custom of the priesthood, his lot fell to burn incense when he went into the temple <3485> of the Lord.
Yes Zechariah was a priest and authorized to enter to offer incense as one who pictured the elect in the heavenly arrangement. Types and shadows.
Exodus 30:6-7 (NKJV) “6 “And you shall put it before the veil that is before the ark of the Testimony, before the mercy seat that is over the Testimony, where I will meet with you. 7 “Aaron shall burn on it sweet incense every morning; when he tends the lamps, he shall burn incense on it.”

What do you think?
I think its all very clear. Perhaps you think otherwise...?
Aaron was High Priest so it was his privilege and the privilege of his anointed sons to enter the holy place, but it was also Aaron's privilege to enter the place that was so holy, that no one else was permitted to go in except the High Priest once a year.
Ex 20:2:44-46....
"I will sanctify the tent of meeting and the altar, and I will sanctify Aaron and his sons so that they may serve as priests to me. 45 I will reside among the people of Israel, and I will be their God. 46 And they will certainly know that I am Jehovah their God, who brought them out of the land of Egypt so that I may reside among them. I am Jehovah their God."

Jesus is our High Priest now. (Heb 3:1) Have you wondered why he is called an apostle?

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Answers posted by some of "it's" member come via here
Screenshot_20230605-062446~2.png