What are the seven kings of Rev. 17:10?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The beast with 7 heads is different than the 8 sequestial kings where 6 have already fallen. If you are right, the beast has 8 heads not only 7 like your pic shows yet there is no scripture that supports the Rev 13 beast ever having an 8th head. This is because the heads are mountains which are areas of land where horn/kingdoms and kings exist. There isn't ever a new, 8th area of land in prophecy.

Your confusion that the 7 heads/mountains of the Rev 13 beast is also somehow 8 sequential kings, 6 fallen long ago, is one of the sources that is causing confusion and error in your end times theology.

It's simple.

The Rev 13 beast has all 7 heads (none fallen in the past) and never gets an 8th.
The Rev 17 eight sequential kings, 6 having already fallen means only two kings are left and they are NEVER existing at the same time.

This major contradiction is what needs to be dealt with.

Douggg

Nov 26, 2020
Memphis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are right, the beast has 8 heads not only 7 like your pic shows yet there is no scripture that supports the Rev 13 beast ever having an 8th head.
There are 7 heads, although the beast-king is king 8. It is because king 7 becomes king 8, the beast-king.

King 8 is not a new head.

Revelation 17:
10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

King 7 will continue a short space - of 42 months, as King 8.

Douggg

Nov 26, 2020
Memphis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, they aren't. Rev 13 shows the beast rising with all 7.
In Revelation 13, with 42 months left, the 7 heads as a group do not have crowns because the prophesy of the 7 kings is over at that time.
The beast is not found in Rev 12. What is there is satan. You are confusing a description of satan with a description of the beast.
King 7 has not become King 8 the beast-king yet in Revelation 12. Revelation 12 is with 7 years left in that chapter.

Nothing in the bible says only one head out of seven has all ten horns.
Daniel 7:23-25 has the ten kings associated with the little horn king - only. So the ten horns are all on the head of King 7.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who are they and what is the significance of this prophecy to the end times? Here is the text in question...

Revelation 17 King James Version (KJV)
"1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great harlot that sitteth upon many waters:
2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.
3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
5 And upon her forehead was a name written, Mystery, Babylon The Great, The Mother Of Harlots And Abominations Of The Earth.
6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.
8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.
10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.
12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.
13 These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.
14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful."

So we see the sequence it gives us, 'there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.' Some say it is the forms of government which dominated the Roman Empire others say its all was just the Roman Emperors, yet bible scholars see the Beast that was in power during Johns time as the Roman Empire and there are more. So what does scripture and history show us...
Don't forget the 7 candlesticks. Those are the 7 churches(?)

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are 7 heads, although the beast-king is king 8. It is because king 7 becomes king 8, the beast-king.

King 8 is not a new head.

It is because the bible says there are only ever 7 heads not an 8th.

Yes but these are not heads of the beast. There are only 2 left of the total 8 kings but the Rev 13 beast will rise up with a total of 7 heads, never losing one or gaining one.

Again, you are conflating two different things as if they are the same.

Douggg

Nov 26, 2020
Memphis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but these are not heads of the beast. There are only 2 left of the total 8 kings but the Rev 13 beast will rise up with a total of 7 heads, never losing one or gaining one.
King 7 in Revelation 13 is the mortally wounded but healed head. Upon being healed, King 7 the little horn person, becomes King 8 the beast-king. Only seven heads.

3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King 7 in Revelation 13 is the mortally wounded but healed head.

No king is wounded in any part of Rev. The closest possible is simply when the beast is cast into the LOF.

Upon being healed, King 7 the little horn person, becomes King 8 the beast-king. Only seven heads.

That's 8 heads because you wrongly think the heads of the beast are also the 8 kings of Rev 17.

Douggg

Nov 26, 2020
Memphis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No king is wounded in any part of Rev. The closest possible is simply when the beast is cast into the LOF.
It says in Revelation 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

In Revelation 13:12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

In Revelation 17:11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

The phrase "was, and is not, even he is" is a phrase for was alive, is not alive, yet is alive. i.e. he will be killed, mortally wounded to death, but comes back to life.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Antichrist is a future individual because Dan 7, speaking of the Antichrist, identified him with 10 nations and 7 leaders who have not yet coalesced into an Empire under Antichrist. The book of Revelation confirms this. Catholics Ribera and Lacunza confirmed this. Premillennialists Irving and Darby, I believe, confirmed this. The Antichrist is future.

This doesn't mean there haven't been many antichrists in history. There have, from the early anti-Christian Roman emperors to Hitler, Stalin, and Mao.

Certainly, some Popes were antichrist in the time of the Reformation. That doesn't mean all popes before or since have been Antichristian. Some, I'm sure, have been. I just don't lump all Catholic popes together in the Antichristian camp. A future Pope will likely be the False Prophet is my guess.
Thing is, the Bible is very specific on who, when and what the antichrist entity is and does, and the church of Rome and it head, are it and continue to the end, just as foretold... Noone else fits all these points..

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thing is, the Bible is very specific on who, when and what the antichrist entity is and does, and the church of Rome and it head, are it and continue to the end, just as foretold... Noone else fits all these points..
I do think there are corrupt elements within the RCC that are leading down a bad road. That's true of all church denominations, but they have to be fought off. The problem with the RCC is that instead of fighting off the things that have corrupted them, they dig in.

And so, yes, I believe the RCC is heading down a bad road and will end up much as German Christians did during the time of Hitler. They are weak and unprepared for difficult challenges.

On the other hand, I think the Antichrist's "Pope" will not be Christian at all. I think he will seek to turn the RCC into a Club of Satan. I don't really know what that might mean, but he will not be anything remotely like Popes are today--far, far worse than anything I've ever seen personally.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I view the 7 Kings as being used in 2 ways.

1) They are derived from Dan 7, where the Little Horn defeats 3 kingdoms out of 10 kingdoms. They will be, I think, European states in which Antichrist defeats 3 of the leaders, leaving 10 states and 7 leaders under his control.

2) John uses the 7 kings as symbols to show, cryptically, that they are referring to something coming out of Rome, which in Dan 7 was the 4th and final kingdom in the present age. This was a set of 4 kingdoms that play a crucial role in the development of God's Kingdom prior to the coming of that Kingdom.

John said these 7 kings also are symbols of 7 empires in biblical history, which I think started with Egypt. Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia, Greece, and Rome. Rome is the 6th, and the Antichristian Empire will be the 7th.
Getting close, Pagan Rome and then what rose after it, Papal Rome..

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do think there are corrupt elements within the RCC that are leading down a bad road. That's true of all church denominations, but they have to be fought off. The problem with the RCC is that instead of fighting off the things that have corrupted them, they dig in.

And so, yes, I believe the RCC is heading down a bad road and will end up much as German Christians did during the time of Hitler. They are weak and unprepared for difficult challenges.

On the other hand, I think the Antichrist's "Pope" will not be Christian at all. I think he will seek to turn the RCC into a Club of Satan. I don't really know what that might mean, but he will not be anything remotely like Popes are today--far, far worse than anything I've ever seen personally.
Well you have to understand that once Satan appears and tries to convince people he is the christ/messiah, all bets are off, as it will be worldwide confusion. And the moment Satan gets to Jerusalem, he will demand worship, , and guess on which day, not the Sabbath... Here you will see the full support of the antichrist entity be thrown behind this so called angel of light, who would deceive the very elect with his presentation... Thus the real Christ appears in the clouds, and every eye sees...