What benefit does it produce to make Jesus God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
My favorite college class was a course on conditional immortality in Church history. The professor was a trinitarian but he believed in conditional immortality.

Just as the development of the doctrine of the Trinity can be tracked in Church history, so too can the doctrine of the immortal soul be tracked.

The early Church position on the question was conditional immortality. It gradually shifted to inherent immortality of the soul.

The textbook for the course was unique. The professor wrote many but not all of the chapters himself. The other chapters were written by some of his former students. I wrote a paper as a class assignment on the Odes of Solomon. With my permission, the professor made some small edits and published it as a new chapter in the textbook.

Reactions: RLT63

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another forum a (quasi trinitarian*) member insisted that God was on a suicide mission. How does that set with you?

* The member, who self-identified as trinitarian, believed that the Father and the Son are both God but said no one knows if the Holy Spirit is or not. His position was that any trinitarian who tells you who or what the Holy Spirit is doesn’t know what they’re talking about and cannnot be trusted.
“Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.
Jhn 10:18

“No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Including Jesus, who was given all authority by God.
Who gave his life, no one took it.
“Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.

“No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

You’re the Medical Examiner. Do you rule it a suicide?

God committed suicide

Not if I’m the Medical Examiner assigned to the case.

Can I tie it to you?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re the Medical Examiner. Do you rule it a suicide?

God committed suicide

Not if I’m the Medical Examiner assigned to the case.

Can I tie it to you?
It's not suicide if you lose your life while saving someone else.

Reactions: Matthias

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Rom 13:1

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.

Repeating yourself makes you look silly and stuck.

Your theology demands that essentially (in effect, if not in action):

A. God killed His own son-- a murderous Father
B. Jesus killed himself-- a suicididal son
C. Something else?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It's not suicide if you lose your life while saving someone else.

Amen.

God on a suicide mission is one of the most absurd things I can imagine.

Number of trinitarians on that forum who publicly rejected it? 0, that I recall.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fiction, if literal.

The dead are dead; immobilized. The dead aren’t walking around.

Resurrection restores life to the lifeless.
We are left to deal with the thief on the cross who Jesus told he would be in Paradise with him that day, Lazarus and the rich man, and Paul's statement that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I lay down My life
When all you do is copy and paste, the conversation ends. I don't know what you point is since you are not making a rebuttal. Perahps I'll just randomly find an article and copy and paste it in response to your future posts. :p

Given that Jesus admitted laying down his life, you know he is not God, who NEVER says anything like that.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repeating yourself makes you look silly and stuck.

Your theology demands that essentially (in effect, if not in action):

A. God killed His own son-- a murderous Father
B. Jesus killed himself-- a suicididal son
C. Something else?
I have to repeat myself because you don't seem to understand.
A sacrifice was made. Scripture was fulfilled. Do you really think the Romans had the power to kill the Son of God?
copyChkboxOff.gif
Mat 26:52

But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish Mat 26:53

“Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels?
Mat 26:54

“How then could the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must happen thus?”

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When all you do is copy and paste, the conversation ends. I don't know what you point is since you are not making a rebuttal. Perahps I'll just randomly find an article and copy and paste it in response to your future posts. :p

Given that Jesus admitted laying down his life, you know he is not God, who NEVER says anything like that.
You are talking about something else and not keeping up with the conversation so it's no wonder you are lost.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
We are left to deal with the thief on the cross who Jesus told he would be in Paradise with him that day, Lazarus and the rich man..

I’ve previously commented on all of these.

…and Paul's statement that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord

That’s imprecise. He said absent from the body and present with the Lord.

To be absent from the body is to be dead. Paul didn’t desire to be “unclothed” - that is, without his body; dead.

Paul also tells us exactly when the dead in Messiah will be “clothed” again - that is, with a body. Paul desired that.

Paul tells us exactly when the dead in Messiah will be present with the Lord - at his coming.

What happens in the interim?

Status
Not open for further replies.