What books are you currently reading?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1685563048272.jpeg

The Adult Summer Reading Program starts tomorrow at my local library. Needing a break from Clement of Alexandria, I’ll begin the library program by reading The Daughter of Auschwitz, written by Tova Friedman and Malcolm Brabant. (I’ll get back to Clement in a while.)

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I see. Lately people mention when I talk with them "You seem well read" and I'm replying in my mind (no..no.. that's not the case) I don't even remember the last time I read a book.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading As I Knew Him: My Dad, Rod Serling, written by Anne Serling.

Gandalf-

Nov 16, 2022
Marlboro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the book behind this video, cold case christianity. the book begins slowly, like the video does, because it teases you into it's mindset before just beginning to get into it after 20, 26, and 28 minutes. He shows he was an atheist who never would have believed in the gospels or the bible. He begins to show how great circumstantial evidence is, as long as you use more than a few pieces, to build a solid truth. However with a cold case, such as with the gospels written so long ago. He shows how he built a cold case investigation into all of the solid circumstantial evidence, over and again, proving the truth of the gospels. So get past the slow, but valuable build up to the 26, and 28 minutes in, where it starts to hit hard ith proof of the bible - the book is like the video, and in the end is a very good book.

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading The Great And Holy War: How World War I Became a Religious Crusade, written by Philip Jenkins.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1687711845766.jpeg

I’m still reading Jenkins’ book but have been sidetracked due to other commitments. I’m about half way through. This is the second book of his that I’ve read. I’m definitely planning on reading more from him.

• Love
Reactions: Mr E

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading the final volume of The Instructor, written by Clement of Alexandria.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Paul the Convert: The Apostolate and Apostasy of Saul the Pharisee, written by Alan F. Segal.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What could possibly go wrong with denying that Jesus is a Jew?

I’m currently reading The Aryan Jesus: Christian Theologians and the Bible in Nazi Germany, written by Susannah Heschel.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It has been said that the Bible is the most bought, stolen and read book in the world.

Now I don’t know if that’s actually true or not but it makes me wonder, so I’ll ask -

When was the last time that you bought, stole, or read the Bible?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I came across an obscure reference to Pantaenus the Philosopher this morning. What, when and where did Pantanaeus teach? (It fits with my preparation - alright, postponement strategy - for re-reading Origen.)

I spent a few minutes reading Fragments of Pantanaeus - because that is all that remains of his writing and a few minutes is all that it takes to read it.

I hadn’t read him before. I’ve read him now. I wonder what percentage of Christians have?

Back now to The Aryan Jesus.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right now I'm reading Paradise Lost, by John Milton (1674).

It's a poem, or more properly- an epic... contained in twelve books, with more than 10,000 lines of verse.

And it's fascinating. It follows two story lines-- one recounting the fall of Satan, the other the story of Adam and Eve. I think Milton gets it all quite right.

Spoiler alert--

Here's a synopsis... Paradise Lost - Wikipedia

• Love

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Right now I'm reading Paradise Lost, by John Milton (1674).

It's a poem, or more properly- an epic... contained in twelve books, with more than 10,000 lines of verse.

And it's fascinating. It follows two story lines-- one recounting the fall of Satan, the other the story of Adam and Eve. I think Milton gets it all quite right.

Spoiler alert--

Here's a synopsis... Paradise Lost - Wikipedia

I’ve had Paradise Lost on my reading list for over thirty years. I really do need to get around to reading it some day.

I had an elective English class in High School which had it as an option on a list of books students were given to choose from. I was a trinitarian in those days and my religious affairs were influenced and managed by my grandparents. They wouldn’t have tolerated me reading Milton, a unitarian author.*

* I had another elective English class in High School which concentrated on Greek mythology. My parents couldn’t have cared less but, ironically, neither did my grandparents. Unlike their attitude toward Milton and other unitarian authors, they thought reading about the gods was harmless - on the level of reading nursery rhymes.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve had Paradise Lost on my reading list for over thirty years. I really do need to get around to reading it some day.

I had an elective English class in High School which had it as an option on a list of books students were given to choose from. I was a trinitarian in those days and my religious affairs were influenced and managed by my grandparents. They wouldn’t have tolerated me reading Milton, a unitarian author.*

* I had another elective English class in High School which concentrated on Greek mythology. My parents couldn’t have cared less but, ironically, neither did my grandparents. Unlike their attitude toward Milton and other unitarian authors, they thought reading about the gods was harmless - on the level of reading nursery rhymes.

Well it's about time for both of us then. You can read it for free online here, all twelve books at the Poetry Foundation>>>>

--however I ordered a hardcover copy. I just enjoy holding a book in my hands.

InSearch

Jul 31, 2023
Amurskaya oblast
Faith
Christian
Country
Russian Federation
Hello! Can I ask here for help? I would like to know if there is any way to get a free (printed) volume of the 'Luther's Works' book series. Perhaps, there is some charity organization that could do that. I would so much like to study his theology, but there are just some several writings of his translated into my language (Russian), and buying books from abroad became either too expensive or just impossible in February 2022.