What distinguishes a "Protestant?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Free will is what makes Pelagius' claims possible. How could it be if he didn't think the will was free to do so?
But that DOESN'T mean that ALL free will is "Pelagianism."
Pelagianism simply takes advantage of free will.

D

Dave L

The Good Samaritan is a perfect example of a good work done by a person who was NOT considered acceptable by Jewish standards.

I'll send you an address for the $100 check . . .
Even the boy-scout helping the old lady across the street is sinning if not motivated by faith. Paul says whatever is not of faith is sin. We do not know the Samaritan's motive. I'll hang on to the $100 for now.

D

Dave L

But that DOESN'T mean that ALL free will is "Pelagianism."
Pelagianism simply takes advantage of free will.
People cannot choose above the limits of the flesh. = the will is not free to choose spiritual things for the right reasons.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even the boy-scout helping the old lady across the street is sinning if not motivated by faith. Paul says whatever is not of faith is sin. We do not know the Samaritan's motive. I'll hang on to the $100 for now.
WRONG.

There you go cherry-picking again. That’s NOT what Paul said – in CONTEXT.
He prefaced it by talking about DOUBT.

Rom 14:23
But whoever has DOUBTS is condemned if he eats, because this is not from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

Jesus specifically used the example of a >in His parable to show that even a person who is NOT considered a person of God can show mercy on a complete stranger – and so should THEY (the crowd).

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People cannot choose above the limits of the flesh. = the will is not free to choose spiritual things for the right reasons.
That STILL doesn't cancel out free will.

D

Dave L

Where does the Bible say that? It says our spirits are at war with flesh.
“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:9–10) (KJV 1900)

D

Dave L

WRONG.

There you go cherry-picking again. That’s NOT what Paul said – in CONTEXT.
He prefaced it by talking about DOUBT.

Rom 14:23
But whoever has DOUBTS is condemned if he eats, because this is not from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

Jesus specifically used the example of a >in His parable to show that even a person who is NOT considered a person of God can show mercy on a complete stranger – and so should THEY (the crowd).
Bad motives make good works bad.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bad motives make good works bad.
Absolutely - but that was NOT the case for the Good Samaritan.
His heart was in the RIGHT place.

An atheist mother can still love her children and it is NOT evil.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:9–10) (KJV 1900)

Born again being spirit, not flesh.

Glorification cleanses the flesh at the rapture.

Romans 7:21-23 New International Version (NIV)
21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.

D

Dave L

Born again being spirit, not flesh.

Glorification cleanses the flesh at the rapture.

Romans 7:21-23 New International Version (NIV)
21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.
Paul is describing what it was like being a sinner under the law. If you keep reading he describes what it is like being born again in the New Covenant.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But unless first born again, the motive behind good works produces only sinful good works.
No - they're not "sinful" good works.
Sin requires intent, full knowledge and full consent.

They're simply works that are not done to glorify God - like breathing . . .

D

Dave L

No - they're not "sinful" good works.
Sin requires intent, full knowledge and full consent.

They're simply works that are not done to glorify God - like breathing . . .
Paul says whatever is not of faith is sin.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul says whatever is not of faith is sin.
Seriously? When you reach for a glass of water, is there REALLY any consideration given to whether or not your fingers will grip the glass, or if you will know how to direct it to your lips? I think we have to take care that we do not try to get so "spiritual" and "Holy" about our everyday lives that we make a circus out of it. LOL

Reactions: mjrhealth