What distinguishes a "Protestant?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

You keep repeating the same verses – without a CLUE as to what they mean.

When you read them in CONTEXT with the other verses like Rom. 7:7-25, James 5:16 and 1 John 1:8 - you can see that it does NOT refer to a Christian stumbling in sin. It refers to returning to a LIFE of willful sin.

The more you try to pit Scripture against itself – the more you will fall FLAT on your face . . .
If we do not lead a holy life we will go to hell.

“But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:22–23) (KJV 1900)

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we do not lead a holy life we will go to hell.

“But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:22–23) (KJV 1900)
Thanks why James admonishes his congregation to CONFESS THEIR SINS (James 5:16).
He is writing to converted, born again followers of Christ.

What Bible are YOU reading??

D

Dave L

Thanks why James admonishes his congregation to CONFESS THEIR SINS (James 5:16).
He is writing to converted, born again followers of Christ.

What Bible are YOU reading??
We confess our sins but we do not live sinful lifestyles. Normally, if you are born again, you can censor sinful thoughts while they are temptations, before you act on them and sin.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joseph was considered “good” because of his relationship with God.

I already know why Joseph was called GOOD.
I knew why WHEN I quoted Sacripture.

And WHY in Scripture, Joseph was called GOOD...

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with YOU saying...

No, Joseph was not good.

When YOU said "NO" ... YOU denied the truth in Scripture. Period.

Now you try to wiggle out of it by changing your tune...that Joseph was "CONSIDER" good....

Scripture said Joseph WAS good...
You said...

No, Joseph was not good

^ THAT is you attempting to Change Scripture.
^ THAT is revealing you deny the TRUTH in Scripture.

OWN IT....and if you don't LIKE what you have done....Be a man and RETRACT IT...

Instead of trying to make excuses for what you have done.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was talking about your twisting of Scripture to invent doctrine – and perpetuate BAD doctrine . . ..

Pat on head, for your attempted diversion away from YOU denying the truth in Scripture.

LOL

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fully realize not many of us seem capable of giving any answer in just a few sentences. But, can we try this time, in this one thread, if nowhere else? Can we just point out what we think is the primary thing that distinguishes one as a Protestant?
I'll start. I say a Protestant is one who believes the Bible can be read and understood by ordinary people..... and should be.
Hi Willie,

A Protestant is anyone who follow the principles of the Reformation.

I don't know what an ordinary person is when it comes to understanding the written word. When I was teaching college a good majority of my students struggled with anything beyond basic sentences in a history book. I can't imagine what they would do with Scripture. Can you define "ordinary people"? Some would say that Joseph Smith, Jim Jones, David Koresh and Fred Phelps were ordinary people.

Mary

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is what I sad the "opposite" of Scripture??
Do you even understand what "opposite" means??

Another cutsie attempt to divert from your own claims....(you have no idea how much you teach ABOUT your own Catholic church by your own behavior).

Joesph WAS a good man.
Fact...

BOL - No Joseph was not good.

Denying the Fact...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We confess our sins but we do not live sinful lifestyles. Normally, if you are born again, you can censor sinful thoughts while they are temptations, before you act on them and sin.
Repentance, properly defined Biblically, is a METANOIA which involved both turning from sin and turning to God in faith.

Reactions: Dave L

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those aren't sins.
James said to CONFESS YOUR SINS - and he said it to born again believers.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another cutsie attempt to divert from your own claims....(you have no idea how much you teach ABOUT your own Catholic church by your own behavior).
Joesph WAS a good man.
Fact..

Denying the Fact...
Mark 10:18
"No one is good--except God alone."

Jesus said this - and YOU want me to believe YOU??
What that thing you always say - "LOL"??

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To Protestants, it is mainly a classroom. And to Catholics it is the weekly mandatory requirement of refueling with the sacraments.
Hi Willie,

".... refueling with the sacraments."

What does that mean?

Curious Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already know why Joseph was called GOOD.
I knew why WHEN I quoted Sacripture.
And WHY in Scripture, Joseph was called GOOD...
Has absolutely NOTHING to do with YOU saying...
When YOU said "NO" ... YOU denied the truth in Scripture. Period.
Now you try to wiggle out of it by changing your tune...that Joseph was "CONSIDER" good....

Scripture said Joseph WAS good...
You said...
^ THAT is you attempting to Change Scripture.
^ THAT is revealing you deny the TRUTH in Scripture.

OWN IT....and if you don't LIKE what you have done....Be a man and RETRACT IT...
nstead of trying to make excuses for what you have done.
Mark 10:18
"No one is good--except God alone."

YOU can argue with that until the cows come home - and you'll STILL be wrong . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul says you can avoid sin by censoring your thoughts and imaginations. But sin is typical for those who do not walk in the Spirit.
And denial that you have sin is typical for those who don't have the truth in them (1 John 1:8).

D

Dave L

And denial that you have sin is typical for those who don't have the truth in them (1 John 1:8).
I loathe my sinful self and ask God to forgive me for what I am at the start of every day. But I censor sinful thoughts while they are still temptation. So it's rare that I sin outwardly while walking in the Spirit.

D

Dave L

So why were you misleading?

Why would you throw out an ACRONOYM if you were asking a STRAIGHT question?
UPC is an acronym that I mistook for a straight answer since the topic centered on it.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't get into the second paragraph,,,I'll only say that the Early Church Fathers (theologians) believed it was the body and blood of Jesus...in what way I haven't yet discovered. Or, at least, to my satisfaction.
HI GG,

It's easy to discover in Scripture why for 2,000 years The Church has believed it was His body and blood.....Because He said it was::rolleyes:

For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”
Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. I am the bread of life. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”
Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Do this in remembrance of me!

He that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Bible Study Mary

Reactions: GodsGrace