What do you do when God doesn't answer prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings in Christ Jesus! You need to draw a line in the sand (so to speak) that the enemy is not allowed to cross. Where you live is not just yours but is also The Lords. Stand up, using The Power and Authority, given to us as sons and daughter and speak out loud, claiming where you live is off limits to the enemy. In other words, kick him out. Why should we allow the enemy to run a muck when we have The Power in Him to change that. That little shadow that we catch in the corner of our eye sometimes, is responsible for many of our ailments. "Kick them out" and peace will reign in your heart and in your home. Healing will also begin. Sometimes The Lord allows these things to perfect us, and draw us nearer unto Himself. But there will come a time that we are to stand up and then to walk. And to give you hope, I tell you this; I am a man that has suffered more than a man can suffer at the hands of the enemy, but know this, The Lord has healed me of all of it, He is that good. He replaced all that suffering with unspeakable joy and a peace that only He can give. I hope that this encourages you. Have a Blessed day!

I want you to know that you encouraged me. I had another spiritual attack last night - they come in various forms; through people, directly, circumstances. But even though it was harsh I remembered your words. I feel like the female version of Job and sometimes even worse. I've wondered why other Christians I know haven't suffered as much as me. It's something I don't understand and I bring to God often. Sometimes it just helps when another believer has also endured much in this life, so thank you for sharing your heavy trials.

Reactions: GTW27 and Nancy

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want you to know that you encouraged me. I had another spiritual attack last night - they come in various forms; through people, directly, circumstances. But even though it was harsh I remembered your words. I feel like the female version of Job and sometimes even worse. I've wondered why other Christians I know haven't suffered as much as me. It's something I don't understand and I bring to God often. Sometimes it just helps when another believer has also endured much in this life, so thank you for sharing your heavy trials.

Blessings in Christ Jesus! Of course, there was another spiritual attack. The enemy always follows behind me whenever I give words to people. What I bring to people is not of my own, but from Him who sends me out in the world. I never know what I will write or speak. I wait and He is always faithful to provide. When it(the attack) comes by way of people, know that the enemy has no power over those who love. Render good for evil and forgive them all. When it comes by way of circumstances, remember that The Lord is working all things out for good for those that love Him. And if it comes directly just speak out loud, "The lord rebukes you, The Lord Jesus rebukes you."One of the things the enemy hates is when a true believer realizes who they truly are, as a son or daughter of The King. The fear tactic no longer works because there is no fear in Love(Him). And in all of this, press close unto The Lord for He is there to comfort you and lift you up. He is like a faithful servant, faithful to the end.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings in Christ Jesus! Of course, there was another spiritual attack. The enemy always follows behind me whenever I give words to people. What I bring to people is not of my own, but from Him who sends me out in the world. I never know what I will write or speak. I wait and He is always faithful to provide. When it(the attack) comes by way of people, know that the enemy has no power over those who love. Render good for evil and forgive them all. When it comes by way of circumstances, remember that The Lord is working all things out for good for those that love Him. And if it comes directly just speak out loud, "The lord rebukes you, The Lord Jesus rebukes you."One of the things the enemy hates is when a true believer realizes who they truly are, as a son or daughter of The King. The fear tactic no longer works because there is no fear in Love(Him). And in all of this, press close unto The Lord for He is there to comfort you and lift you up. He is like a faithful servant, faithful to the end.

I'm glad that you followed God's promptings because it was an encouragement that came during a time I needed it. God probably saw the attack coming. Sometimes we can fall prey to "poor me" but when another believer shares the depth of their trials you don't feel so much an anomaly.

Sometimes even positive experiences from others can hurt. I recall going through a particular grueling trial and I happened to talk to a Christian receptionist at a doctors office. She glowingly told me that God answered their prayers for a puppy when she and her children prayed. I remember how much it hurt me, that God would answer that woman's prayers for a puppy when I desperately needed His help for a major, serious trial. I hope that makes me more cognizant of others' feelings who may be going through a severe trial. They don't want to hear how much you were just blessed with a raise, a promotion, a loved one being healed etc. when no answer is forthcoming for them.

I don't understand God but it does help when you hear from another believer who has struggled.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm glad that you followed God's promptings because it was an encouragement that came during a time I needed it. God probably saw the attack coming. Sometimes we can fall prey to "poor me" but when another believer shares the depth of their trials you don't feel so much an anomaly.

Sometimes even positive experiences from others can hurt. I recall going through a particular grueling trial and I happened to talk to a Christian receptionist at a doctors office. She glowingly told me that God answered their prayers for a puppy when she and her children prayed. I remember how much it hurt me, that God would answer that woman's prayers for a puppy when I desperately needed His help for a major, serious trial. I hope that makes me more cognizant of others' feelings who may be going through a severe trial. They don't want to hear how much you were just blessed with a raise, a promotion, a loved one being healed etc. when no answer is forthcoming for them.

I don't understand God but it does help when you hear from another believer who has struggled.

I leave a true testimony related to the subject of this thread and may also give hope to you. This testimony is not the suffering that I talked about previously, but yet it is still suffering. Back around 2006 out of no ware my heart started beating very fast and irregular. I felt like I was going to pass out. At the doctors they diagnosed it as Afib. My heart beat was 160 to 180 beats a minute and very irractic. These bouts would last sometimes up to 6 days. On top of this, I have a job were I stand on my feet for 7 and a half hours a day and constantly dealing with the public. I am also one that walks in the kindness of The Lord and He uses me to reach the lost. I found myself suffering day and night while this was upon me. This was different than when a person is sick, and they have a job. They could always take off work, and rest and recover. There was no rest for this. It was there day and night with no hope in sight, it seemed. I started to pray all the time for The Lord to take this away. There were times at work that I would take my break outside and I would plead for Him to help me for I could not walk any further. Suddenly a wind would come and I could feel The Presence Of The Lord(Gift of Discernment) and suddenly my heart was beating regularly. When I returned back to work I would show my coworkers what The Lord had done for me. From pale and suffering to full of color and normal. But I knew this was only a temporary relief. Finally in about 2007, while praying to The Lord He finally spoke to me on this matter and this is what He said," Others before you have suffered more than you, my son, keep walking for My grace is sufficient for you. And yes I will lift that off of you." Back then, I thought about His words, and my question was, what did He mean by lifting it off of me? To me, lifting something off of someone means that someone has put it on me. Now who would want to do that? This suffering continued on until 2010 when I underwent a 7 hour proceedure to correct the problem. This was to no avail, and the suffering continued. This lasted for over 7 years. Then finally, when I least expected it, He lifted off of me. My heart is fine today. During this 7 years. I did not lose hope, I did not lose my faith, I pressed in closer, for He is faithful. When I look back, I remember preaching in The Spirit even while my heart beat was 160 to 180. Suffering and Joy at the same time. How is that even possible?

Reactions: Nancy

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I leave a true testimony related to the subject of this thread and may also give hope to you. This testimony is not the suffering that I talked about previously, but yet it is still suffering. Back around 2006 out of no ware my heart started beating very fast and irregular. I felt like I was going to pass out. At the doctors they diagnosed it as Afib. My heart beat was 160 to 180 beats a minute and very irractic. These bouts would last sometimes up to 6 days. On top of this, I have a job were I stand on my feet for 7 and a half hours a day and constantly dealing with the public. I am also one that walks in the kindness of The Lord and He uses me to reach the lost. I found myself suffering day and night while this was upon me. This was different than when a person is sick, and they have a job. They could always take off work, and rest and recover. There was no rest for this. It was there day and night with no hope in sight, it seemed. I started to pray all the time for The Lord to take this away. There were times at work that I would take my break outside and I would plead for Him to help me for I could not walk any further. Suddenly a wind would come and I could feel The Presence Of The Lord(Gift of Discernment) and suddenly my heart was beating regularly. When I returned back to work I would show my coworkers what The Lord had done for me. From pale and suffering to full of color and normal. But I knew this was only a temporary relief. Finally in about 2007, while praying to The Lord He finally spoke to me on this matter and this is what He said," Others before you have suffered more than you, my son, keep walking for My grace is sufficient for you. And yes I will lift that off of you." Back then, I thought about His words, and my question was, what did He mean by lifting it off of me? To me, lifting something off of someone means that someone has put it on me. Now who would want to do that? This suffering continued on until 2010 when I underwent a 7 hour proceedure to correct the problem. This was to no avail, and the suffering continued. This lasted for over 7 years. Then finally, when I least expected it, He lifted off of me. My heart is fine today. During this 7 years. I did not lose hope, I did not lose my faith, I pressed in closer, for He is faithful. When I look back, I remember preaching in The Spirit even while my heart beat was 160 to 180. Suffering and Joy at the same time. How is that even possible?

Wow that was some story. Now I know why our paths intersected: I was badly injured and live with severe pain that tests me every single day. I struggle with asking God for help. I must pray more than any person on the face of the earth. I will keep your story in mind as I grapple with this. It gives me hope that I can be released from this one day. How did you sustain belief for so long? That's the drawn out trial that I have. It's so long yet I know God hears me. I do believe that He has a purpose in it. It has drawn me close to Him and I think made me understand others who suffer better.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a small excerpt from a book the founder of our church (the Vineyard) wrote:

"Why would God command us to heal the sick and then choose not to back up our act (so to speak) by not healing the person for whom we pray? This can be downright discouraging, as I learned years ago in my own congregation when I began to teach on healing. It was nine months before we saw the first person healed. The temptation was to withdraw from practicing Christ's commands or, at the other extreme, to drum up a false bravado to convince God to do what we thought He ought to do."

And today, the Vineyard experiences healings in their regular services probably more than any other church in America.

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is a small excerpt from a book the founder of our church (the Vineyard) wrote:

"Why would God command us to heal the sick and then choose not to back up our act (so to speak) by not healing the person for whom we pray? This can be downright discouraging, as I learned years ago in my own congregation when I began to teach on healing. It was nine months before we saw the first person healed. The temptation was to withdraw from practicing Christ's commands or, at the other extreme, to drum up a false bravado to convince God to do what we thought He ought to do."

And today, the Vineyard experiences healings in their regular services probably more than any other church in America.

I think we get discouraged ( I do) when prayers don't happen as we think.
I 100% believe that healing is in the atonement. It is something that Jesus gave the church.
But our faith is not quite where Jesus's was :) our track record is more like I see men like trees walking" mine is. Very hit and miss.

I remind my wife when I anoint and pray over her.
James 5 - "and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. "

Mark 16 "they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
recovery is something I stick with and hold on to . In it for the long haul.
Endurance is the name of the game.

Just keep on keeping on.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With unanswered prayer.

I keep praying. And I keep praising God for the answer that is coming. Once I know that it is His will. Before that, I hold it loosely.

You keep thanking Him for the answer? I've never done that - I guess because I'm somewhat afraid to - afraid that it may not be what is really going to come to pass.

Reactions: Hisman

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we get discouraged ( I do) when prayers don't happen as we think.
I 100% believe that healing is in the atonement. It is something that Jesus gave the church.
But our faith is not quite where Jesus's was :) our track record is more like I see men like trees walking" mine is. Very hit and miss.

I remind my wife when I anoint and pray over her.
James 5 - "and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. "

Mark 16 "they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
recovery is something I stick with and hold on to . In it for the long haul.
Endurance is the name of the game.

Just keep on keeping on.
Probably the biggest "hit" I experienced about this was in the area of healing. (Not "receiving" it, but "giving" it.)

Oh, occasionally, I had prayed for people, and they received some relief. But, I really desired to do more.

Our church, The Vineyard, was having a teaching seminar on this. So, my wife and I went. As much as I wanted it (for all the wrong reasons), I got nothing for the whole weekend..... while my wife (who really hadn't wanted to go) was seeing God work through her all over the building.

Well, I was discouraged. But when they had another seminar about six months later, I still went. And, sure enough, NOTHING again!

Until the very end. They has a Q&A session, and I foolishly asked a question about something the speaker had said about sympathetic pains — feeling pains someone else in the group was feeling. I told him what I felt, (neck pains), but that I looked around and saw no one else seemingly with that problem.

Big mistake!

The speaker put me on the spot by asking all those with painful necks to meet Bill (me) over to the side of the room where I was gong to pray for them. Meanwhile, they all just went on with the seminar.

Seven people came right over. I told them that they were probably going to be disappointed.... but they just kept looking at me, waiting for me to pray for their healing. So, I mumbled something. I really have no idea what it was. And five of the seven said they were immediately healed. One man took a second time.... and I was more intentional this time. And the last one was a woman who just fell on the floor. Frankly, it was obvious she had come forward just to get attention, and true enough, she got nothing else but a small audience.

But, that was a fervent prayer that was 6-months in the realization, and didn't come until I had given up expecting MY idea of an answer.

Reactions: Hisman

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Probably the biggest "hit" I experienced about this was in the area of healing. (Not "receiving" it, but "giving" it.)

Oh, occasionally, I had prayed for people, and they received some relief. But, I really desired to do more.

Our church, The Vineyard, was having a teaching seminar on this. So, my wife and I went. As much as I wanted it (for all the wrong reasons), I got nothing for the whole weekend..... while my wife (who really hadn't wanted to go) was seeing God work through her all over the building.

Well, I was discouraged. But when they had another seminar about six months later, I still went. And, sure enough, NOTHING again!

Until the very end. They has a Q&A session, and I foolishly asked a question about something the speaker had said about sympathetic pains — feeling pains someone else in the group was feeling. I told him what I felt, (neck pains), but that I looked around and saw no one else seemingly with that problem.

Big mistake!

The speaker put me on the spot by asking all those with painful necks to meet Bill (me) over to the side of the room where I was gong to pray for them. Meanwhile, they all just went on with the seminar.

Seven people came right over. I told them that they were probably going to be disappointed.... but they just kept looking at me, waiting for me to pray for their healing. So, I mumbled something. I really have no idea what it was. And five of the seven said they were immediately healed. One man took a second time.... and I was more intentional this time. And the last one was a woman who just fell on the floor. Frankly, it was obvious she had come forward just to get attention, and true enough, she got nothing else but a small audience.

But, that was a fervent prayer that was 6-months in the realization, and didn't come until I had given up expecting MY idea of an answer.

That reminds me of when I was younger a lady at church came up before the meeting and said that she had been cleaning hot ashes out of the fireplace and dropped some on her foot. The foot was red, angry, and very painful, she wasn't sure that she could sit through the meeting.
She believed in healing as we taught it, so did not want a doctor.
I laid hand on her and prayed the pain away in Jesus name. Not only did the pain go, but the red angry blisters also went and she was left with no sign of the burning. I was never so surprised. It was then I realized that we, the vessel , have nothing to do with it. We are just a contact between the person and God. It wasn't my faith, but her faith in God that caused her to receive . Healing as I see it is a receiving by the one in need. Not by the so called giver of.
God is the giver, we the just channel.

Just get yourself out of the way Bill, and let God do His thing. That's what I'd do. Keep encouraging and praying for people, that's our job. God does the rest. I've never known why healing is such a hit and miss, but it seems to be.