What do you do when God doesn't answer prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My theology is..Are we prepared to love God for naught .
( Satan's words to God about Job )

When things do NOT happen , will I still Praise and Trust Him?
Can I be like the Hebrew young men...?
Those who would not bow down to the golden image..
" We will not bow down, our God will deliver us from the fiery furnace , but if not, we will not bow down." ( I am winging it there, not a direct quote)

One year the Lord said to me- " But if not...will you still love me for naught?"

That has stuck with me.
Even if healing or deliverance doesn't come , I intend to run the race, fight the good fight of faith , believe until the end...

King David prayed and fasted while his baby son was still alive..once he died, David- "arose, washed himself , anointed himself, and went to the house of the Lord to WORSHIP.." I love that verse.
David story ended in a "but if not.." ...

Goodness, I just looked up at the window as I was typing, and I see it is SNOWING again @farouk Canada eh!

That's very insightful Helen. Thank you - maybe this is one of the ways that we're tested.

Reactions: Helen

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fear not, Justice is coming. And it will fall upon them at a time they will not expect. In the mean time, let the wicked continue to be wicked, and let the righteous continue to walk uprightly.

I have faith yet at times I find it hard to maintain that faith over a protracted period of time. I know Psalm 73 and all that but sometimes it fails to carry one over a long time.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.'

(1 Corinthians 15:19-21)

Hello there, @Soverign Grace,

Yes, I can empathise with you there, but I have also been surprised by joy, when I have suddenly realised that God's answering has been staring me in the face, and I have been unaware of it until that moment: and then there is such overwhelming knowledge of His faithfulness, that my heart has overflowed with praise and adoration.

I have a grandson who has mental health problems and his needs are so complex and varied. I have prayed according to my own understanding of what those needs are: but God has answered, and is still answering in ways that are quite different. There are so many things being worked out, not only in his life, but also in the lives of those directly concerned with him, that are beyond my knowledge and understanding; but praise God, He can see the final picture, the goal and object of all this suffering, and He will bring it to fruition, in the way that only He can. My prayers are coloured by the desire to ease peoples burdens, bring happiness, take away suffering, which are all temporal things: but God's vision is so much different, isn't it? For He sees eternity.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

That's rich - a looking through the eyes of faith that God is working something out even if we don't yet see it.

As far as your grandson, I don't know if this is his case or not (I suspect it is) but mental health problems can be caused by lack of probiotics in the gut, and lack of specific nutrients such as omega 3. I took psychology (didn't graduate; I had to babysit) but I did a report on how the brain is made of something like 60% fat. A lack of these fatty acids can cause mental issues.

Also - this is a curve ball but a leading NY psychiatrist said that bipolar illness is caused by demonic oppression, not an organic problem. I studied this and I actually shared it with my professor and she was very open to it. I'm alarmed that more Christians don't know how Satan affects people this way. The Parkland shooter said he heard demons telling him to: "hurt, kill, destroy." Scripture warns us that the evil one comes to "steal, kill, destroy" so he was close. Every Christian has probably had a fiery arrow shoot into his mind - even while in prayer or church but sometimes if the door is opened through some sin, those demands get louder. If someone doesn't know how to apply the right remedy, it can be torturous. I wish more Christians would get into the field and recognize the spiritual influences on mental health but christianity is so watered down now many don't even ascribe to the basic beliefs that there is a real evil being looking to destroy. I suspect even some Christians would balk at the idea of being oppressed by demons; they've adopted the worlds view that it's one of the many diagnoses in the DSM but if you read through the diagnoses and you exercise discernment you can see where sin and Satan are at the root of some of the disorders.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take great comfort in Jesus's promise in Matt 12 that the bruised reed he will not break or the smouldering candle he won't put out.
Jesus knows our weaknessed, he is not offended when we scream and shout at him because of our problems. He already knows via the spirit that we are calling him names.
He honours and values those whohang on despite everything.

I always tell Him that He wants truth in our inmost being and I'm truthful with Him about my disappointments.

I appreciate all who shared their POV - it helps to just hear some encouragement during a time of seemingly endless testing.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have faith yet at times I find it hard to maintain that faith over a protracted period of time. I know Psalm 73 and all that but sometimes it fails to carry one over a long time.

Understanding what is in man, helps us to have compassion on the wicked, despite what they do to us. They truly know not what they do. We all walked in darkness at one time. There is much suffering involved when one walks in darkness. What it looks like on the outside(for the wicked) is not as it truly is when they are alone. Take for a moment and imagine being completely about self(as there father is), everything, and everyone fails them. They heap up treasures of this world and yet have gained nothing. Nothing but misory and want. Let us focus on a closer walk with Him, and in time we will see them, and what they do through His eyes.Let us be The Light, in the darkness, that overcomes the evil with good.This, I face thiseveryday, and it can be hard, but He strengthens me and comforts me through it all.

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very well put @Taken ,
I would never wish my beloved ones who have passed back into this world. They were saved when they passed. I do find it tough to comfort other Christians who have lost family members that were not saved. All I can say to them is that we have no idea how the Lord might have been working in them at the time of their death. It is a hard thing to comfort those who have unsaved family who pass.
And, to stick with the OP, God answers ALL prayer...He also opens doors that we do not recognize as such and we slam them shut thinking we know better. Only being in The Spirit and feasting on The Word will allow us to discern some of His answers. And, yeah...sometimes it is a NO. I have peace about my nieces and nephews, even though I do not, and may never see them fully come into the knowledge of our Great God!

I find it normal for a saved person to have great concern for a family/friends salvation.

I also find great comfort in the man who was crucified along side of Jesus.
That regardless of that mans natural life choices; The moment before his natual death, that man called on the Lord; And our great Lord, Faithful and True, answered that man.

I lean toward, the realization that few of us are actually "with" a loved one at the moment of their passing, and had the opportunity of a few seconds to call out to the Lord, and did so, whether or not we were personal witnesses.

God Bless,
Taken

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just because you are heartfelt does not necessarily mean you are righteous.

Are "righteous", I would say is precisely effected at the moment the Lord Quickens a mans "spirit".

Pertaining to the individual; (in brief)
becoming "Righteous" has a Preparation,
the mans Confession;
the Lords Response.

What men SEE/Observe concerning the behavior of the individual may not be according to "our standards" / "our understanding"...

However, the Relationship between the Individual having heartfully called on the Lord and having received the quickening of his spirit...Seals the Righteous Relationship between the Individual "and the Lord."
Done deal.

You may be moreso speaking of "Preceipts".
(Behaviors between men, that do not always appear to measure up), rather than "righteousness" (that is between an Individual and the Lord), that is an act, the Lord Seals, once and forever.

Glory to God,
Taken

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just because you are heartfelt does not necessarily mean you are righteous.

Well then my friend, we are then without hope!!! No man can be "good enough" to become righteous...:eek:
Not even Abraham known as " the friend of God" was not righteous ...righteousness was imputed to him "by faith"...

Rom 1.17
For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

Romans 3 .13
"For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith."

Just saying... :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find in normal for a saved person to have great concern for a family/friends salvation.

I also find great comfort in the man who was crucified along side of Jesus.
That regardless of that mans natural life choices; The moment before his natual death, that man called on the Lord; And our great Lord, Faithful and True, answered that man.

I lean toward, the realization that few of us are actually "with" a loved one at the moment of their passing, and had the opportunity of a few seconds to call out to the Lord, and did so, whether or not we were personal witnesses.

God Bless,
Taken

The thief on the cross also brings me comfort Taken. I was blessed to be by my mothers bedside holding her hand as she took her last breath. The Lord also blessed me as my father, on his death bed was just gone, mentally. Would not speak to or look at anyone once the cancer reached his brain but...one day after work, I had gone to the VA hospital to see him. He was the same...no acknowledgement. Now, I never told my father that I loved him as I actually hated him as a child...reasons I will not get into here. That day in the hospital, right before I left, I said "dad, I love you" and his eyes actually slowly turned to mine. I was not saved at that time but I have no doubt God was working that day. I never said that to him before and it just came out of nowhere! I am now very blessed to have been able to say those words to him and him actually responding. He died only days later. I know both of my parents were saved, my dad was anointed by the pastor at our Church after he gave his heart to The Lord. I am blessed.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well then my friend, we are then without hope!!! No man can be "good enough" to become righteous...:eek:
Not even Abraham known as " the friend of God" was not righteous ...righteousness was imputed to him "by faith"...

Rom 1.17
For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

Romans 3 .13
"For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith."

Just saying... :)

Yep.

I think people may not consider the parties.
A man and Thee God "relationship".
A man and A mans "relationship".

A man with a true relationship "WITH" God, God "accounts" the man "Righteous", precisely Because there "IS" an established and Sealed Relationship, between that man & thee Lord God.

Relationships between men, is a rollercoaster, steady one day, questionable on another day...And regardless of the ups and downs between men...the Righteousness in a man is established Constant, and solely between An Individual and Thee Lord God

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep.

I think people may not consider the parties.
A man and Thee God "relationship".
A man and A mans "relationship".

A man with a true relationship "WITH" God, God "accounts" the man "Righteous", precisely Because there "IS" an established and Sealed Relationship, between that man & thee Lord God.

Relationships between men, is a rollercoaster, steady one day, questionable on another day...And regardless of the ups and downs between men...the Righteousness in a man is established Constant, and solely between An Individual and Thee Lord God

God Bless,
Taken

Feelings are fickle, go with what ya know! We are His righteousness! Hard to receive that as we tend to only see our sin and too many times allow our emotions to get in the way.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thief on the cross also brings me comfort Taken. I was blessed to be by my mothers bedside holding her hand as she took her last breath. The Lord also blessed me as my father, on his death bed was just gone, mentally. Would not speak to or look at anyone once the cancer reached his brain but...one day after work, I had gone to the VA hospital to see him. He was the same...no acknowledgement. Now, I never told my father that I loved him as I actually hated him as a child...reasons I will not get into here. That day in the hospital, right before I left, I said "dad, I love you" and his eyes actually slowly turned to mine. I was not saved at that time but I have no doubt God was working that day. I never said that to him before and it just came out of nowhere! I am now very blessed to have been able to say those words to him and him actually responding. He died only days later. I know both of my parents were saved, my dad was anointed by the pastor at our Church after he gave his heart to The Lord. I am blessed.

The Mystery of God, is so much Greater than the FEW Mysteries revealed In Scriptures.

God Bless,
Taken

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feelings are fickle, go with what ya know! We are His righteousness! Hard to receive that as we tend to only see our sin and too many times allow our emotions to get in the way.

Amen.
Just got News my mother-in-Law passed away this afternoon. Praise the Lord, He is Faithful and True and she is with Him now.

God Bless,
Taken

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen.
Just got News my mother-in-Law passed away this afternoon. Praise the Lord, He is Faithful and True and she is with Him now.

God Bless,
Taken

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, yet her gain. I hope she did not suffer.
God Bless,
nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mystery of God, is so much Greater that the FEW Mysteries revealed In Scriptures.

God Bless,
Taken

I wish I were better with studying on my own, I believe there are tons of His mysteries woven within His Word. ♥

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, yet her gain. I hope she did not suffer.
God Bless,
nancy

Thank you, byGrace too.
A two day onset of difficulty breathing, comfort assisted by medical physicians and The Lord taking her today. God is Good!

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Nancy