What do you feed your kids at dinner?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Firedancer4

Feb 21, 2007
I'm curious if I'm the only parent who struggles with this.When I grew up, we ate what my Mom or Dad cooked. Matter of fact, my Dad seemed to enjoy punishing us by making those mixed vegetables. You know, the ones with lima beans? He'd make us sit at the table until we ate them (freezing cold or not - and there was no option to reheat). I remember being stuck at that table one time for over an hour. I finally stuck my hand out the window full of those mixed vegetables, hoping the dog would eat them. I got caught... because the dog ran the other way.Now, me being the parent, it seems I have never met two pickier eaters than my two daughters (3 and 7). I usually make dinner, make them try it, and then if they don't like it I make them something they do like (like Spaghettios and Meatballs - something obviously not as healthy).This seems ridiculous - because one dinner was enough! It also seems like they should eat what I cook, but I don't want to shove things down their throat like my Dad did to us.
sad.gif
What does everyone else do? How strict are you with the policy that "you eat what I cook!"

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Oh yes I remember those veggi's (ick)never allowed them in the house as an adult(LOL) I made my kids eat what I cooked,but I always tried to make at least one dish they liked and the deal was they had to take two or three bites of everything then they could have as much as they wanted of the dish they liked.That way they got what was good for them, and eating different things helps develop their taste buds and they will learn to like a bigger varity. Its one of those things as a parent you have to do for their health. You can't let your stuff from your childhood infuence what is best for your kids,thats just part of being a parent.Sometimes you gotta be the bad guy. Look at the bright side those veggi's didn't kill us:)PSI never made them sit at the table more than 30 min after dinner but I gave them their reheated dinner for a snack before bed. If they are hungry enough they will eat their two bites. If not they will not die before breakfast. It usally doesn't take more than a few days to get the point across to them You just can't give in or you will lose the battle.