What do you think qualifies one to be one of Christ's disciples?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
And what does this have to do with the Scripture's teaching on hell?
There is no Scripture teaching on hell, as we now understand it. Or if there is, then show it to me, and we will see how a perfectly valid concept of Gehenna, in Erets, is made into a marketing tool to coerce people into being "believers" according to our requirements. I bring it up because it is the same problem; "hell" has now been confidently defined as a physical place of fire and brimstone after one dies, just as "believer" is defined confidently, according to whatever sect one happens to belong to, and neverminding or usually even vehemently disagreeing with the sect across the street.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I'd be happy to explain to you the NT teaching on eternal punishment as I see it...if you like.
Lol. But if we do not agree on what "eternal" means, i most likely will not be able to explain to you that "it will always be this way; this will never change" might be a much more valid interpretation of "eternal" for us humans, who are currently bound by time, when God and the dead are not. There is no "time" where God is, as i guess even physicists are now finding out. So again we have a definition that seems perfectly acceptable to us--because after all "eternal" means "forever," right?--that is almost right, or one might say correct from a certain pov, but might be completely useless from the perspective that was meant. Sin will always bring death; but the death is a spiritual one, and one might easily still be walking around, apparently physically fine, after this death. In a million years--or at least as long as we have Erets--this will still apply. It is "eternal."

The eternal punishment is that if you sin, you die. If you are a jerk, you are going to be cast out by your peers, good for only Gehenna, regardless of whether you identify as a believer or not, see. And if you confess your mistakes one to another, and forgive, you will be forgiven, again regardless of whether you have ticked all the boxes at the local assembly. Christ cannot forgive anyone of unrequited sin.

You cannot sin against your brother and then go ask Jesus to forgive you; or you can, but it is pointless. That is not how you get Grace, even though millions of people believe that Christ might forgive them only after they have said a prayer of confession, and maybe did a little penance or something. But they cannot show you the passage that makes this true; it is just a "belief" that people have, that allows for some justification while preserving their egos. Little wonder that sin and death, and "eternal punishment," is a prominent feature of this belief system.

This "eternal punishment" you believe occurs after death, right? No earthly punishment is even recognized as fitting the profile, isn't that correct? But aren't evildoers shunned here on earth, if they do not rebound, after the church admin meeting or whatever? So what's it gonna be? Which one is it? But most importantly, who is the arbiter of these things? Imo it is very dangerous to assume that you can define most of the things you might yearn to define here, and what is really going on is you are given enough Scriptural rope to hang yourself, if that is what you are seeking. A humble person would not do this, it is a trap for the prideful. You say "as i see it," which displays humility, but generally speaking the concept of Christian Eternal Punishment is understood, and is not as optional as that, right? It is a virtual requirement that one believe that the eternal punishment will begin after physical death, and punishment in the here/now is not even debated, see. Yet that is the punishment that is eternal, and it is in fact a quite mundane operation, not religious at all; everyone understands it.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Oh, and we do not have the "original" available to us. We have early copies of Greek manuscripts...much earlier than the materials used to translate the King James Version. However, the KJV is still a very good translation which just goes to show how consistent the various manuscripts we have throughout the centuries are.
imo we are splitting hairs now, we have copies of the original, faithfully reproduced, in a manner that does not allow liberties that any translation makes, even if it isn't quite as readable. Any trans has its shortcomings, and we pretty well have then documented, it isn't usually too egregious; but sometimes it is. The KJV is likely responsible for our current concept of "hell," at the very least.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I apologize. I am not trying to "ignore" anything. Its just a lot of information and I am trying to slim things down and just hit the wave tops. To answer your question briefly, Jesus is teaching using a figure of speech here. Tax collectors were not treated as part of the Jewish community for a host of reasons that I will not get into right now. Jesus is just basically saying that they should treat an unrepentant disciple who mistreats and misleads others in the same way the Jewish community treats tax collectors. You are reading way too much into this simple point. It would be like me saying, "guard her like she was the Queen of Egypt." The point is simple, treat her very well and keep her safe. Picking the statement apart and saying, "Well, as Christians, we shouldn't favor one nationality over another or view royalty as greater value than a peasant." I just think you are unnecessarily complicating a very simple statement that has a very simple point. I think your interpretation of the Bible sufferers from "paralysis by analysis." I think it is often just best to take the message at face value without dissecting it for hidden or complicated meanings.
ha well Christ went and broke the law by eating dinner with tax collectors, too; and i am being told that the "For" verse has to be about church admin, too. We are told that the Book is written in such a way that a surface reading by a casual reader is not going to yield the same information as study. I think it is quite inspired that Christ used "tax collector" and not "the dead" or something there, myself, especially being that we know he ate dinner specifically with tax collectors. So on the one hand we are taught that He was using a figure of speech, but on the other His treatment of tax collectors is documented. Um, imo one should not favor one nationality over another or view royalty as greater, so i missed your point there.

If i suffer from paralysis, then please explain this treatment of tax collectors that is implied but not explained yet, so that i might understand. :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
In other words, the reason you should treat a person like a pagan or tax collector who refuses to respond to the rebuke of two or three witnesses and the church body is "because" where two or three are gathered, Christ is with them. Remember, the "two or three" concept is a quote from a legal passage in Deuteronomy lthat was used to establish the validity of a witness. The entire context is based in how to treat someone who is accused of sinning against a brother.
it is now, once the verse is made servant to the admin of church; but that is not what the verse is intended for at all, imo, and

"For wherever two or three gather in My Name, there I am also" most likely has the most valid application when seen as representative of the heart, mind and gut of a person; not to change the subject. You might note that the entire rest of the chapter is about forgiveness, and it only has that one little passage about church admin buried in the middle of it. Multiple verse discourses on forgiveness on either side, with Christ telling you to treat the unrepentant as someone that He might have dinner with, lol. Or again, describe this "treatment" to me--since we all know it anyway, in practice--and let's see if it can be justified in Grace. It is a trap, imo.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I mean, by your rationale, the guilty person can just go grab two or three of his pals and say, "Well, now I have two or three with me, so now Jesus is on MY side!"

my rationale is that this may best describe the church admin, depending upon the circumstances, of course. This is how Galileo was excommunicated, see.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and your belief that you are saved might be quite strong, but this does not speak to your faith. You might believe in the Rapture, but that does not mean it will happen. You might be convinced of hell for humans after death; but you cannot prove that it exists or will exist, as you understand it. Paul was talking to people who had sold out and dropped their nets; it is dangerous imo to believe that we can confidently assume the same. We can't even agree on what "Gospel" means, usually.
First, I dont think God calls us to live lives of continual doubting our faith or salvation. Seems you are big on doubt and low on certainty. My trust is in what Christ did for me, not what I do for him. My acts are a response to his grace, not a means of earning it...as your post implies.

Second, I think you need to read the NT some more. What makes you think Paul was writing to "sold out" Christians? Most of what I see in his writings is correction toward believers who are divisive, sexually immoral, confused and sometimes very immature. In fact, Paul says some of the Corinthians will be saved but just as one who is barely escaping the flames. Doesn't sound like "sold out" folks to me.

well, they are both Scripture, but you have made the "For" verse dependent upon church admin, when you say "that is about this; that means this" when it is merely that church admin--once you have correctly defined "Church" anyway--is one practical application of the verse, that it derives from. Iow "For" is not about church admin; church admin is about "For."

I dont think you are reading my posts very carefully. I never said that. I said the text is about discipline. That discipline was often administered by church leadership, but I didn't say it had to be. I said other texts indicate that this is often how the text was applied. However, the text is always referring to disciplining an unrepentant believer, and is not a statement that God only shows up when 2 or more believers get together.

There is no Scripture teaching on hell, as we now understand it. Or if there is, then show it to me, and we will see how a perfectly valid concept of Gehenna, in Erets, is made into a marketing tool to coerce people into being "believers" according to our requirements. I bring it up because it is the same problem; "hell" has now been confidently defined as a physical place of fire and brimstone after one dies, just as "believer" is defined confidently, according to whatever sect one happens to belong to, and neverminding or usually even vehemently disagreeing with the sect across the street.
Ok, well lets discuss this then. Perhaps we should do it in a different forum since that is not really the topic of this one. This one is on discipleship. I'll tell you what, you create a topic on hell and I will be happy to contribute. I'd like to add that I think you have a lot of assumptions about God and time that I simply disagree with. The idea that God is timeless is based on a Greek concept of God and immutability. I disagree that God does not exist in time. There are a host of problems with such a position, but I wont go into it on this forum.

ha well Christ went and broke the law by eating dinner with tax collectors, too; and i am being told that the "For" verse has to be about church admin, too. We are told that the Book is written in such a way that a surface reading by a casual reader is not going to yield the same information as study. I think it is quite inspired that Christ used "tax collector" and not "the dead" or something there, myself, especially being that we know he ate dinner specifically with tax collectors. So on the one hand we are taught that He was using a figure of speech, but on the other His treatment of tax collectors is documented. Um, imo one should not favor one nationality over another or view royalty as greater, so i missed your point there.

If i suffer from paralysis, then please explain this treatment of tax collectors that is implied but not explained yet, so that i might understand. :)
Well, the issue is that you are causing a teaching or narrative in a completely separate part of the scripture to nullify a clear teaching Jesus is making in a specific context. Again, you are basically saying that Jesus is saying, "protect the little ones from sin. And if someone is sinning and refuses to repent when confronted by 1, then 2-3 and then the entire church, then treat them like a tax collector or pagan....which means to treat them very well and actually do nothing about their sin and do not hold them accountable.

This is sheer nonsense. Again, let the context inform the passage rather than importing entirely different sections of Scripture in different contexts to explain away clear passages on dealing with unrepentant sin. I agree the rest of the section is about forgiveness. This is dealign with those who DO repent of their sin. So the point is this: If they WONT repent, cast them out. If they DO repent, accept them. No matter how many times they fail, if they are willing to repent, forgive them as God forgave you. Suggesting God forgives unrepentant sin is not what Jesus, nor the rest of the NT, teaches.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
First, I dont think God calls us to live lives of continual doubting our faith or salvation. Seems you are big on doubt and low on certainty.
it might appear that way, because i seek to point out that the Scriptures that most/all of the newly "saved" are assured no longer apply to them actually apply directly to them, and are useful for changing their minds; meaning that in our current model, the moment one begins earnestly seeking Christ, they go to a "church" and perform some altar works, and are then deemed "saved," and they believe it, because they have not yet found "he who holds out to the end might be saved," and of course since it appeals to people to be assured that they are with the "in" crowd, it very quickly becomes impossible to teach this person anything; they are now seven times worse off, and their minds--the very things they are called to change--are now closed.

So you might see my doubting of most beliefs--not to say faith--as a response to the 65 million seekers who have had enough of the Original Sin model, or by all means manifest "he who says he knows does not yet know" as you see fit. I do not know where i am going after i die, speaking of my soul. But i know where the kingdom is; it is right next to me, right now. My 75 year old mom is due to come interrupt me with some whatever about where to plant some flowers or something, here any minute, and i can either brush her off, as i might prefer, or manifest Christ to her, and the choice is up to me. Usually i don't do so hot there, i guess i'm maybe 50/50.

Certainty is a bill of goods that you were sold about the future, after you die, because that is what we come seeking, isn't it? Sellers arise to serve buyers, and you find what you seek.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
My trust is in what Christ did for me, not what I do for him. My acts are a response to his grace, not a means of earning it...as your post implies.
i often revert to the common "you" when i get started, and i don't mean you specifically, i mean "one." Works great face to face, but not so much here, i guess. So i apologize if i misspoke there.

To speak to your point, these sound great, and you exhibit much grace imo, but i would direct you to reflect upon how you were "saved," and how you came to study the Bible, that being with the preconceptions installed by your tutors. Iow almost immediately you were assured that you had escaped the fires of hell after you die, and that you were now saved, once saved always saved, and nothing you could do would ever be good enough for Jesus. No works required. And there is certainly a way to justify this pov with Scripture, if one stops reading where they are directed to stop. But i'm sure you are familiar with the multiple passages that destroy this notion, although i am not interested in another faith/works argument.

You will be judged by your works. So it pays to at least question how many of your acts are actually in response to the surroundings you have chosen, and the peers you have who hold--or at least say they hold--the same beliefs as you. We fall in with those who affirm our standing and position and egos, quite naturally, and then we claim that we trust what Christ did for us, but we do not direct new believers to go out in the way of the 12 or the 70 now, do we? And we don't get sermons on Nehushtan, either--i wager you will never, ever hear a sermon in a mortgaged church on these basic instructions to new believers directly from the mouth of Christ--or from those who made the Promised Land but wished to worship an icon, a Snake on a Pole--as the case may be.

Been 20-30 years since i heard even a sermon-lite on "pick up your cross, and follow Me." And now that i think about it, that was from a tape or something, not live.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Second, I think you need to read the NT some more. What makes you think Paul was writing to "sold out" Christians? Most of what I see in his writings is correction toward believers who are divisive, sexually immoral, confused and sometimes very immature. In fact, Paul says some of the Corinthians will be saved but just as one who is barely escaping the flames. Doesn't sound like "sold out" folks to me.
ha well of course you are right, sold out people do not need Scripture, because they have the Word. Except to reach those Paul was writing to, who are all of those who have not found It. so, you'll have me channeling mjr here in a sec, although i no longer condemn anyone who is seeking. Unfortunately most Christians have already found what they are seeking, i guess. But i only meant to point out that those considered "accepted" by Paul in his day all had a price on their heads, and anyone could kill them at any time, without reprisal. So "Church" just had a different meaning for Paul, than it must for us, speaking generally. You will experience a baptism of fire, if you would follow Christ. Be like Meshach, Shadrach, and Abed-nego, imo.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I dont think you are reading my posts very carefully. I never said that. I said the text is about discipline. That discipline was often administered by church leadership, but I didn't say it had to be. I said other texts indicate that this is often how the text was applied. However, the text is always referring to disciplining an unrepentant believer, and is not a statement that God only shows up when 2 or more believers get together.
yes, and i am disagreeing with you, and suggesting that the verse has been limited to this to serve an agenda, instead of the way Christ surely meant it, which was to bring the OT principle of witnesses into a model of Grace, wherein the Body of Christ might be recognized to be manifest whenever 2 or 3 people gather to serve someone in need. Is it useful for Church administration? If you wish to be held to Law, certainly. Notice how the verse is made to apply to the Law, and is made moot for Grace? As i say, it may also be read to apply to an individual who is not conflicted, ie agrees heart, mind, and gut with a concept, but nevermind that for now. I don't mean to imply that it is a statement that God only shows up when 2 or more believers get together, because satan believes, too. It is an assurance that Christ is where His Spirit is being manifest, and if one experiences the rare occurrence of being unconflicted on a matter heart, mind, and gut, to go with that, no matter how far out it is, because satan cannot be where there is no conflict.

i think it is even reiterated, so there can be no doubt; lemme go look...yes, imo, one cannot read this entire chapter and hold out much hope that the verse is only applicable to their notions of the correct application of the Law: (i just grabbed a translation here, prolly NIV ugh but it should do)

The Parable of the Wandering Sheep
10“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.
[11]a
12“What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off?
13And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off.
14In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.
Dealing With Sin in the Church
15“If your brother or sisterb sins,c go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.
16But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’d
17If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
18“Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will bee bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will bef loosed in heaven.
19“Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.
20For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant
21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
22Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.g
23“Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants.
24As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of goldh was brought to him.
25Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.
26“At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.
28“But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins.i He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.
29“His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’
30“But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt.
31When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.
32“Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to.
33Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’
34In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.
35“This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

see that starting in verse 18, at the "Trulys," these three (3) verses, 18-20 do not depend upon the prior verses, they are the reason the prior verses, about this church admin/law matter, are correct. Now, is it worded in such an inspired way that you (one) might limit them to the passage in which they are generally segregated by scribes now? You bet. But just read the whole chapter, or what i have here, and then describe this treatment of the outcast again for me, if you would. I will not ask this again, ok? Describe this treatment, and then let's let the chips fall. :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
mmmkay you sound pretty sure...lol. I can only suggest that you might change the perspective from which the passages are understood, or see what "For" and "Truly" are really saying. The ads are loading/not loading so bad here that i can hardly post, so i might have to break this off for now.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I'll tell you what, you create a topic on hell and I will be happy to contribute.
ya, i am not that guy. I am fighting the imaginary topic on hell in the afterlife that Christians accept now as it is.
I'll tell you what, you create a topic on hell, since you believe it exists, and then we might see what, where, and when Gehenna really is, and how warped our concept of hell really is.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I'd like to add that I think you have a lot of assumptions about God and time that I simply disagree with.
Yes but you have equated Gehenna with hell, too. So imagine how i feel. :)
Frankly i'm impressed that you are still here.
So maybe i'm wrong about the time thing, who knows--i just find it a useful contemplation on Eternity.
See, all those verses that we assume cover us throughout "eternity" can also be understood to be addressing Mankind generally, including the ones that will be born after we are both dead, see, just like we are alive now, and living the consequences of our fathers' sins, so to speak. The only, only, only difference is pov.

I do not mean to imply that one might not be very, very sorry after they die for some unrepented habits or actions done while here, either, so i hope you aren't misunderstanding me there.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well, the issue is that you are causing a teaching or narrative in a completely separate part of the scripture to nullify a clear teaching Jesus is making in a specific context. Again, you are basically saying that Jesus is saying, "protect the little ones from sin. And if someone is sinning and refuses to repent when confronted by 1, then 2-3 and then the entire church, then treat them like a tax collector or pagan....which means to treat them very well and actually do nothing about their sin and do not hold them accountable.

This is sheer nonsense.
well, so is heaping burning coals on someone's head, or turning the other cheek, right? But i certainly agree that that doesn't work on someone with a seared conscience, or doesn't seem to anyway...so, by all means, do what you think seems best in the moment. Christ was not above whipping up on some idiots when that was called for, i guess. I have benefitted from some whippings myself, so pls don't misunderstand me there, either. Now does that mean that "For..." has suddenly become subordinate to your understanding of the passage, rather than the only sane correct way to read it, which is the other way around? No it does not.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Again, let the context inform the passage rather than importing entirely different sections of Scripture in different contexts to explain away clear passages on dealing with unrepentant sin.
If you can't understand that "Truly" and especially "For..." make a sentence primary rather than subordinate, then i agree, there is really nowhere else one needs to go. Except maybe an English teacher or something. Which might come off as flip, but i don't mean that. If no mention of church admin existed, "For wherever two or three gather in My Name" would still obtain. That (church admin) is because of this (For wherever). And you are just convinced that it is the other way around. Btw is the Bible the Word, as far as you are concerned? Ty.

ISV 20 because where two or three have come together in my name, I am there among them."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
and again, can you hold that all Christ meant to do was invoke the OT principle of deciding a matter among men? Yes, you can. But as we have already brought out, this might also be used for false justification, a way for a group to infer that Christ is with them, now, which is somewhat different than 2 or 3 humans agreeing on a sentence or verdict among men, even if it is meant as the same principle.

These 3 at the gate, OT, convey the essence of "impartial" to me, in a way that church admin cases just may likely not, because those 3 are inevitably hand-picked, see. Which doesn't mean they aren't earnestly trying to adhere to the principle, but that there is now a conflict of interests introduced, when you get to pick the other two. I'm asking a Jewish friend how those at the gate were chosen, what the protocol was/is, be interesting to hear what he says.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainty is a bill of goods that you were sold about the future, after you die, because that is what we come seeking, isn't it? Sellers arise to serve buyers, and you find what you seek.
For someone who is big into questions and uncertainty, you seem very certain that I am wrong and you are right when you dont really know me or the specifics of what I believe. If you are using the generic "you" here as to imply some other group you have in mind, I think you should be specific about who these people are and their specific beliefs you disagree with. It seems pretty clear to me that there is a resurrection and that a judgment follows that resurrection. There is much more to "heaven" than how we treat our moms. I dont want this to get all wrapped up in semantics, but I think its clear that "heaven" as most use it today is in reference to the reward of the righteous after the resurrection. So lets just focus on the intent here and not lose the forest for the trees.

To speak to your point, these sound great, and you exhibit much grace imo, but i would direct you to reflect upon how you were "saved," and how you came to study the Bible, that being with the preconceptions installed by your tutors. Iow almost immediately you were assured that you had escaped the fires of hell after you die, and that you were now saved, once saved always saved, and nothing you could do would ever be good enough for Jesus. No works required. And there is certainly a way to justify this pov with Scripture, if one stops reading where they are directed to stop. But i'm sure you are familiar with the multiple passages that destroy this notion, although i am not interested in another faith/works argument.
Again, this is a tremendous amount of assumption on your part. First, I do not accept the "once saved always saved" doctrine. Second, I have had dozens of tutors and not all of them agreed. Third, most of my "tutors" taught me to read the Bible in context and draw conclusions based on the author's original intent, and not based on some baseline systematic theology. Let me just assure you that I do not believe in a cognitive-only understanding of "faith" that is void of response or works. Of course faith responds with works. However, it is essential to get the horse before the cart. Faith comes first. Otherwise, our works are a means of earning favor before God which nullifies the work of the cross and the righteousness of Christ. The NT is pretty clear on that fact.

You bet. But just read the whole chapter, or what i have here, and then describe this treatment of the outcast again for me, if you would. I will not ask this again, ok? Describe this treatment, and then let's let the chips fall.
Very well. Let's look.

“At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
Here, the "outcast" person (I prefer the term for "unrepentant deceiver" for the sake of this context) is drowned in the depths of the sea (doesn't really sound like Jesus is trying to translate a harsh OT law into grace...unless you have a very strange understanding of grace). Anyway, let us continue...

“Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to sin! Such things must come, but woe to the man through whom they come! If your hand or your foot causes you to sin cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell. “See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. “What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.
Here the "outcast/unrepentant deceiver" is warned. Jesus says "Woe" to them. Sin must come, but woe to those poor folks who deceive and mislead God's precious children. In fact, Jesus is so serious about this that he says it is better that we lop off our hands or gouge out our eyes rather than allow them to mislead little children and cause them to sin. Why is this? Because God loves them and their angels always see the face of the Father...and the Father is more concerned about one of those children who might be led astray by a deceiver than he is the whole company of the righteous. Again, this is a WARNING to the unrepentant/deceivers. It seems very clear to me.

“If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector. “I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. “Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”
Here, the "unrepentant" happens to be a "brother" (adelphos) is warned that Jesus is with the body of believers when they rally together against one who is sinning and mistreating other believers in the Church. Moreover, Jesus encourages such people to be cast out and assures them that if the church agree on such matters, God's actions in heaven will back their earthly judgment. In other words, if you cast them out of the physical gathering, rest assured that God is making a spiritual judgment on such a person as well. Pretty harsh words. Not really about grace. So here we see three distinct teachings that all focus on judgment. Jesus often speaks in lessons or parables of three when making a point.

Now, Jesus is asked a question. The question is based on Jesus message that "if they listen, you have won your brother." The teaching is clear what should happen if they do not listen...you cast them out. But Peter wants to know, "Ok, so they listen....and I have won them back. What if they do it again? What if they do it 7.times!? Do I draw the line at 7 times? (Peter seems to think he is being exceptionally gracious here).

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him. Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt. “The servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go. “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded. “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.’ “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. When the other servants saw what had happened, they were greatly distressed and went and told their master everything that had happened. “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.”” (Matthew 18:1–35, NIV84)
Jesus' response of grace is shocking. If the brother listens, you forgive them EVERY time. He follows this shocking response with a story of a man who is unwilling to give grace to one who is repentant and seeking mercy. AGAIN, pay attention to the instructions. The first three lessons were not about repentant people who are seeking mercy. They are about unrepentant deceivers who lead the children astray. God's wrath burns hot against such people and the Church should not tolerate such behaviors. However, they they repent and seek mercy, Jesus is also adamant that such people should always get mercy. In fact, if someone refuses to give mercy, they are treated in the same manner as the wicked person who was unrepentant. Thus, the "outcast" in this last instance is the one who refuses to show mercy to the repentant.

Personally, I think this is a very simple flow of thought. You know, I think its never a bad thing to question a common understanding of a passage. Yet, one needs to do so with caution. When you have an interpretation that flies in the face of millions of scholars throughout Christian history, you should proabably have a pretty good rationale for disagreeing. So far, I haven't really seen much rationale on your part other than assuming evil motives on behalf of church leaders who merely want to control and oppress others. As I said before, show me in the text. Suggesting people have evil motives for their interpretations and that I have no critical thinking skills of my own but have merely swallowed what I have been taught is a bit insulting. Im trying to show you why I believe what I do, and I have yet to appeal to a "tutor" or commentary. I have only appealed to the text. I dont know how you can keep insinuating that I am merely a puppet and have no thoughts of my own.

If you can't understand that "Truly" and especially "For..." make a sentence primary rather than subordinate, then i agree, there is really nowhere else one needs to go. Except maybe an English teacher or something. Which might come off as flip, but i don't mean that. If no mention of church admin existed, "For wherever two or three gather in My Name" would still obtain. That (church admin) is because of this (For wherever). And you are just convinced that it is the other way around. Btw is the Bible the Word, as far as you are concerned? Ty.
Look, I understand both English and the Koine Greek. I assure you I know how these phrases operate. Let me "break it down Barney style"...as they say. I'll use the Koine Greek to help you along because it is clearer in the original language...

----“Ἐὰν δὲ ἁμαρτήσῃ [εἰς σὲ] ὁ ἀδελφός σου, ὕπαγε ἔλεγξον αὐτὸν μεταξὺ σοῦ καὶ αὐτοῦ μόνου. ἐάν σου ἀκούσῃ, ἐκέρδησας τὸν ἀδελφόν σου·
----ἐὰν δὲ μὴ ἀκούσῃ, παράλαβε μετὰ σοῦ ἔτι ἕνα ἢ δύο, ἵνα ἐπὶ στόματος δύο μαρτύρων ἢ τριῶν σταθῇ πᾶν ῥῆμα·
----ἐὰν δὲ παρακούσῃ αὐτῶν, εἰπὲ τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ·
----ἐὰν δὲ καὶ τῆς ἐκκλησίας παρακούσῃ, ἔστω σοι ὥσπερ ὁ ἐθνικὸς καὶ ὁ τελώνης.
***********Ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν· ὅσα ἐὰν δήσητε ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ἔσται δεδεμένα ἐν οὐρανῷ, καὶ ὅσα ἐὰν λύσητε ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ἔσται λελυμένα ἐν οὐρανῷ.
***********Πάλιν [ἀμὴν] λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι ἐὰν δύο συμφωνήσωσιν ἐξ ὑμῶν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς περὶ παντὸς πράγματος οὗ ἐὰν αἰτήσωνται, γενήσεται αὐτοῖς παρὰ τοῦ πατρός μου τοῦ ἐν οὐρανοῖς. οὗ γάρ εἰσιν δύο ἢ τρεῖς συνηγμένοι εἰς τὸ ἐμὸν ὄνομα, ἐκεῖ εἰμι ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῶν. (Matthew 18:15–20, NA27)

First, notice the "Ean de" clauses that begin the first four thoughts. Ean de can be translated, "But if..." Notice the first line is verse 15. This connects verse 15 with the previous section with the teaching about those who lead little ones in the sin are in a world of hurt because God is jealous for each one. So, the idea is basically, "Woe to those who lead these little ones into sin. They are in a heap of trouble because God loves the little ones......but if a bother sins against you..." The teachings are linked. That is important to recognize.

Second, the "Ean de" are conditional statements. "But if a brother sins against you.......but if he will not listen [to you]....but if he refuses to hear them [the two or three}...but if also he refuses to hear the church...;treat them as the pagan and tax collector." We see a very easy to follow series of conditions that lead to greater severity or refusal to listen....in fact it goes from will not hear to refuses to hear indicating a very willful and deliberate sinful behavior.

Then we get to the concluding statements based on the conditional statements prior:
'But if..."
"but if..."
"but if..."
"but if..."
"Amen, Amen, I say to you...."
"Again, amen, I say to you..."

So, as you can see from the flow here, we have a series of conditions based on the previous teaching about God's judgment on those who lead little ones astray. If that person happens to be a believer...do this.....if they dont respond...do this...if they still refuse to hear, treat them this way. Why? Because I truly tell you that if two or three of you bound something on earth, it will be bound in heaven. Again, I truly tell you that if you agree on earth about anything it will be done for you in heaven.

Third, we get to the "For" statement you are all lathered up about. As you can see from the structure of the Greek, the "For" statement is a supporting rationale for Jesus' grand conclusion that if what they do on earth is reflected in heaven...and that is because where two or three are present, Jesus is with them. The point here is that Jesus is saying, God is serious about sin, and you can rest assured that when two or three of you agree on a discipline issue like this that heaven will agree with you....because Jesus, himself, will actually be with you in your decision to send them out.

In sum, the "For" statement is the final concluding rationale for the authority given to them in such matters. So, the overall flow is something like this. Be like little children because these are the ones God adores and inherit the Kingdom. Woe to those who cause a little one who believe in me to sin. Why? Because God loves each little one more than you can imagine. In fact, he cares more about the one being led astray than the 99 who arent. That's how much each one matters. Again, woe to those who bring sin into the world and lead children astray. Its better to cut off your hand or gouge out your eye than allow them to indulge in sin. But if a brother is sinning against you....do this to win him back. If he wont listen...do this. If he still wont listen...treat him this way. And when you treat him that way, know this....heaven has your back. In fact, what you bind on earth is bound in heaven. Because when you make this decision, the authority and presence of Jesus Christ is with you.

Anyway, sorry I can't get to the rest....that's probably way too much for now :)

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The point here is that Jesus is saying, God is serious about sin, and you can rest assured that when two or three of you agree on a discipline issue like this that heaven will agree with you....because Jesus, himself, will actually be with you in your decision to send them out.
go with that then, but understand that Jesus Himself may not be in your decisions about discipline at all, and that "because" statement is being subordinated when it is the superior. Because of that, you can extrapolate a concept of church admin, also, yes, but you cannot describe to me how this Christian Unforgiveness is supposed to proceed, see, without violating the spirit of the chapter, i guess, or really i am not sure for what reason--let's say--but i just know i am not getting this description, and i think it is pretty obvious why not.

So, to be clear, we seek to justify our condemnations and judgements, and would like to think that we can round up a couple people and fulfill the spirit of the passage, OT style, but that does not mean that that is what is being described at all, by Christ. 2 or 3 people might easily gather together just a praisin Jesus and a prayin that God's will might be done in a matter, Ha Glory, and Christ might be a million miles away from that, too. My guess is that if you are focused on sin, He likely is nowhere near, tbh.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
don't get me wrong; yes, there was a tradition of witnesses established in Law already, and these too predate Hammurabi. However, i think limiting Christ's definition there to ours, when Christ came to change minds, and inaugurate the dispensation of Grace, is to fail to consider the spiritual implications of the verse, when after all Christ is Spirit.

At the very least, Christ surely has a pure definition of "Church," where we do not, and statements such as "tear this Temple down, and I will rebuild It again in 3 days" might illustrate that God's pov is just not ours. At least be open to the possibility that you are being baited here, and that the passage is written like that on purpose, so that all may find what they seek. Imo you are spiritually hard-pressed to limit this verse to one perspective, and the legal one at that.