What do you think qualifies one to be one of Christ's disciples?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Church is described as "the fullness of him who fills all in all".(Eph 1:23). Why do you reject the "fullness of him"?
Yes Mungo, His church, this one

2Co_6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

1Pe_2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Thats His Church, not yours, not theres its not a denomination, its not a building its not a hierarchy, its Jesus and all those who belong to Him, people from every race and nation on this earth who love Him and who seek only Him, for only in Hm is life and salvation.

Joh 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
Joh 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Not your church it does not.

Authority, I never claimed to have any, Have I, Yours comes from your church that gives you authority over cathloics you have no authorty over Gods people they belong to Him alone

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
mjrhealth said:
Yes Mungo, His church, this one

2Co_6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

1Pe_2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Thats His Church, not yours, not theres its not a denomination, its not a building its not a hierarchy, its Jesus and all those who belong to Him, people from every race and nation on this earth who love Him and who seek only Him, for only in Hm is life and salvation.

Joh 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
Joh 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Not your church it does not.
Jesus founded a Church (Mt 16:18); he founded it on the Apostles (Eph 2:20) and it is described as the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Tim 3:15)

Catholics believe the Church that Jesus founded is both visible and invisible. It is visible in that it exists in a visible structure, with a visible organisation and with authority given it by Jesus himself (Mt 28:18-20).

He prayed that it would be one Church (Jn 17:20-23) -see also Rom 12:5, 1Cor 10:17 & 12:13 - not thousands of denominations; not thousands of one man churches. Jesus can have only one bride not hundreds of thousands.

That Church is headed by Christ (Col 1:18), but he appointed Peter to be the visible head on earth (Mt 16:18-19), to be the universal shepherd (Jn 21:15-17) of Christ’s one fold (Jn 10:16). This is the Catholic Church.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Wormwood said:
Ive had many conversations with mj. He rejects the Bible as the authoritative Word of God and views his own words as superior to Scripture. If that is the side you want to take, then feel free. But perhaps I am a bit more abrupt with him because of my understanding of his views that fall very far outside the range of orthodox Christianity.
ya, that bugged me too at first, but i am seeing that a valid argument can be made that people are led astray by accepting a belief system that is justified by selective Scripture reading, that does quite literally blind them to truth; the "see and not see" of the Book. As we witnessed with the "For wherever two or three are gathered" passage, a verse can be made into more than one interpretation, and can also be annulled by interpretation, not saying that the application to church admin (also) is not valid there, because it likely is, too.

17 The first to plead his case seems right, Until another comes and examines him.

You say that his views fall "very far" outside the range of "orthodox Christianity." So then unless he is suspected of coming here every day to deliberately deceive, perhaps it might be better to listen to him differently, from a different frame. After all, what is "orthodox Christianity" anyway? It is a frame of reference that you accept as valid, but an equally valid argument can be made that Jesus was a Jew, and that He came to remake Judaism, not abolish it. After spending most of my Christian life convinced that both of these were in error, and would be condemned, i am now coming to see that that was merely a reflection of my heart at the time, and it is me that was then condemned.

So while i agree that the Bible won't contradict Word, It certainly can be made to do so, and i am seeing that an evil thing happens, wherein the Book must first be made into Word, so that one might then present some persuasion to some belief that does not come from Word, but rather misinterpretation of the Book; or failing that, just finding some scribed up version, one that has "Easter" in it, say, because after all who reads from the Lexicon?

So i understand mjr to be reflecting an understanding of "judge by the fruit," and if he is rejecting the Book, it is possibly only because It is so easily misread, and so widely abused and scribed up. You can't scribe Word, hot on your neck, see. If Word is telling you to color eggs and buy bunnies for your kids in order to focus on Christ at Easter, then by all means do that. But when you insist that others believe the same thing, and are condemned for not believing it is when i think we run into trouble.

Orthodox Christianity might be viewed as a practical approach to following Christ, and it can be argued that following Christ cannot be made into a practical thing. Personally i am coming to see forums as a great way to pit two believers against each other, as we can witness how easy it is to get even two orthodox people arguing over some jot or tittle, forgetting that religion in any form is roundly condemned in Scripture, i could give you 20 verses off the top of my head for this concept, yet we nonetheless have many people who seek Christ religiously, at least at first, and i am minded of many people that i would call religious who nonetheless seem to have very good hearts. So this frame does not seem to be the most valid one, wadr; after all, Constantine was Orthodox, too, but the fad of putting off reconciliation and baptism until one's deathbed has faded, even if it is still practiced in spirit by the religious, who mostly seem to have Isaiah's bargain with death in mind where Christ is concerned. We are consumed with where we might be spending "eternity," when of course God is not worried about that at all. You are no use to accomplishing God's design of bringing heaven to earth after you die, and Solomon assures us that no one knows where they go when they die.

A point might be to recognize when we are applying an invalid frame for judgement of others, and neglecting to judge ourselves. You don't have to agree with mjr to find agreement with him, if you seek it. You can believe the Book is the Word if you like, and still be open to accepting that Word was with God in the beginning, and so perhaps there are truths outside your current understanding, yet to be grasped. The very worst thing one might do, imo, is to become convinced that their version is the only right one, and that no further truth can be discerned from a different perspective.

Personally i go the opposite way from mjr myself, but i see that that might be because i am a booky guy anyway, and the net gives me a search engine for an indexed Bible now, or i could not practically even use that approach. I just discovered that for every Scriptural concept there is a counter-concept, and so of course i am perceived as a troll when i go discover one in search. This has taught me that it is dangerous to suppose that you can establish a doctrine from Scripture, and as you may have noted i pretty much have a standing invitation for anyone to demonstrate an inviolable doctrine from Scripture--you practically cannot do it. While this might invalidate the Book for many, to me it is what validates it; no one debates passages of Moby Dick, after all.

Interpret however you like, but recognize that your interpretation is merely a reflection of your faith, where your heart is at iow, and this is what everyone else sees when you quote the Book for them; your truth, not absolute truth, even if it is absolute to you. It is easy imo to end up with beliefs that God is not going to honor, and i think everyone is deceived in some way. Somethingsomething humility over pride, ya that's all i got.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Wormwood said:
No, I am not suggesting it is limited to administration of the church. I am saying it is in relation to two or three witnesses in the church that confront another believer about sinful behaviors. The point is that two or three witnesses that confront a believer about something are a valid witness that demands respect just as two or three witnesses under the Law was sufficient to convict a person of a crime. So, the progression goes like this....

A person is mistreated or swindled by another believer. That person confronts the wrongdoer. If the believer does not repent when confronted, the person brings two or three witnesses in the church of the wrongdoing to confront the person. If they still dont repent then the matter is brought to the church and if they still dont repent then they are cast out of the fellowship.

Other NT passages show that the 2 or 3 that did the confronting were often leaders in the church. My point is not that Jesus is ONLY with 2 or 3 church leaders. My point is that the NT and Jesus clearly teach a distinct group of believers bound by certain beliefs and practices and would cast people out of their fellowship if on the basis of multiple witnesses to inappropriate actions by another believer. Jesus is saying, "You can rest assured that my authority goes with the multiple witnesses who are confronting the person. So, its not just Billy, Sally and Joe confronting Fred about his misdeeds, but Jesus, himself. So, the point here is that the "church" was an organized group that carried the authority of Jesus on matters of discipline and cast people out of the group if their actions or beliefs were unbecoming of a Christian (it wasn't this "all do-gooders" manifest Jesus and therefore belong to the church...regardless of other actions or beliefs...as you implied before).

Well it sounds to me like you are accusing Jesus of double-talk. I dont think that is what is going on here. Jesus isn't saying, "Treat them like a pagan or tax-collector" (which, snicker, snicker, means you treat them very nice and accept them just like everyone else). If that is the case, Jesus is doing a lot of talking but actually saying nothing. No, the progression goes like this...

God deeply loves every last child, so guard them and dont let people lead them astray with sin.
--
In fact, if someone is living a sinful, inconsistent life in your midst, follow the appropriate procedure of confronting them so they might repent and not lead others astray (Paul refers to this as a "little yeast working its way through the dough.")
--
If they refuse to repent, cast them out and treat them like an outsider.
-----
"But what if they DO repent, Lord....how many times should we forgive them...7 times?"
===
If they repent...you forgive them in the same way as God forgave you...without limit.

So, you see, Jesus isn't saying we treat them as tax collectors...which means we ignore sin and lack of repentance...because after all, we all make mistakes and who are we to judge. No, he is saying, if they dont repent, then toss them out. If they DO repent...you forgive them as God forgave you. Unrepentant sin in the life of the church leads people astray and Christians should not tolerate this..otherwise we lose our "salt and light" and the little children God loves become impacted and misled by yeast working though the dough.

That is EXACTLY what we see Paul teaching to the Corinthian church. They were to cast the sexually immoral person out. However, in next letter to the Corinthians, when Paul hears that the person has repented, he calls them to embrace that person and welcome them back.

“The punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient for him. Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him. The reason I wrote you was to see if you would stand the test and be obedient in everything. If you forgive anyone, I also forgive him. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.” (2 Corinthians 2:6–11, NIV84)

Finally, I dont know how to respond to the rest of what you wrote. It doesn't make sense to me. I am trying to show you the context of what the verses mean and why they mean these things by referring to the flow of thought and other supporting passages. It seems you are suggesting I have simply presupposed what the texts mean and am referring to my own predetermined views rather than appealing to the text. I just simply dont think this is the case. All of my comments are based on appeals to context and I am trying to use the overall discussion Jesus is making as rationale for my views. If anything, it seems you are the one going with your gut and impressions to draw your conclusions on these matters.
just saw this, but i need a break now, i'll read it in a bit.

ah, i guess it is old? never saw it--i have problems with this format, sorry. I'll take a break and then read it, see if there is anything i haven't addressed yet.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
No, I am not suggesting it is limited to administration of the church. I am saying it is in relation to two or three witnesses in the church that confront another believer about sinful behaviors. The point is that two or three witnesses that confront a believer about something are a valid witness that demands respect just as two or three witnesses under the Law was sufficient to convict a person of a crime. So, the progression goes like this....

A person is mistreated or swindled by another believer. That person confronts the wrongdoer. If the believer does not repent when confronted, the person brings two or three witnesses in the church of the wrongdoing to confront the person. If they still dont repent then the matter is brought to the church and if they still dont repent then they are cast out of the fellowship.

Other NT passages show that the 2 or 3 that did the confronting were often leaders in the church. My point is not that Jesus is ONLY with 2 or 3 church leaders. My point is that the NT and Jesus clearly teach a distinct group of believers bound by certain beliefs and practices and would cast people out of their fellowship if on the basis of multiple witnesses to inappropriate actions by another believer. Jesus is saying, "You can rest assured that my authority goes with the multiple witnesses who are confronting the person. So, its not just Billy, Sally and Joe confronting Fred about his misdeeds, but Jesus, himself. So, the point here is that the "church" was an organized group that carried the authority of Jesus on matters of discipline and cast people out of the group if their actions or beliefs were unbecoming of a Christian (it wasn't this "all do-gooders" manifest Jesus and therefore belong to the church...regardless of other actions or beliefs...as you implied before).
7 Little children, let no one deceive you! The one who does what is right is righteous, just as He is righteous.

So my position is that you must first define several of the terms you have used in such a way that i might not agree with them; believer, church, leaders, etc. A person who swindles is not a believer anyway, imo. A church that excludes the Samaritan is no reflection of the Church at all, regardless of what the leader of that church espouses, etc. So it is in believing that our definition is the sacrosanct one that perhaps leads people into trouble. If you must fulfill the law to be accepted, then it might be best to use the old way of understanding the concept, and leave the preconceptions about who is a "believer" or not out of the picture entirely! After all, many cry "Lord, Lord." I don't know about this "regardless of other actions" part, as imo it is actions that speak, but i suggest that it is, in fact, "do-gooders" who will inherit. Of course no one in "the church" was condemning Saul for persecuting Christians though, were they. So then "doing what is right" is a very nuanced thing, and we can recognize that one might do the wrong thing for the right reason, or vice-versa. We are led to believe that we can define "believer" and "church" by the same formula, meaning to do only "good," yet ultimately being revealed as self-serving, too.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well it sounds to me like you are accusing Jesus of double-talk. I dont think that is what is going on here. Jesus isn't saying, "Treat them like a pagan or tax-collector" (which, snicker, snicker, means you treat them very nice and accept them just like everyone else). If that is the case, Jesus is doing a lot of talking but actually saying nothing. No, the progression goes like this...

God deeply loves every last child, so guard them and dont let people lead them astray with sin.
Surely that was precisely Saul's justification, was it not? How might i stop you from following him, if i perceive you going down the same path? Shall i tell you that you are in error? Get some other witnesses to confirm this, perhaps? I find no verse that says "do not let others lead others astray," wadr. Now perhaps we are closer to what you meant about "do-gooders?"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I am trying to show you the context of what the verses mean and why they mean these things by referring to the flow of thought and other supporting passages. It seems you are suggesting I have simply presupposed what the texts mean and am referring to my own predetermined views rather than appealing to the text. I just simply dont think this is the case. All of my comments are based on appeals to context and I am trying to use the overall discussion Jesus is making as rationale for my views. If anything, it seems you are the one going with your gut and impressions to draw your conclusions on these matters.
Well, i have the same argument, see, in that the verse beginning "For..." is the principle from which the preceding verses are built, and not the other way around; it does not descend from them, as may be interpreted, but rather they depend upon it. You are invited to shun if you like, but this will necessarily ignore concepts of turning the other cheek, or heaping coals upon heads, or overlooking a matter (sin) in another. We would have to posit a specific case to go much further, i think, but one is basically invited into justification or humility, and the choice will define them.

If a guy takes my shirt, i can either give him my coat also, or i can go complain to the authorities/church leaders, but i cannot do both. I invite you to posit a case wherein i am justified in treating anyone any differently than anyone else, based upon some sin against me, if Crucifixion was not sufficient for Christ to do so. So i suggest that Christ was engaging in some psychology there, even if it is perceived as double talk. See, the Guy telling you to treat them as a tax collector went and ate dinner with tax collectors, an offense punishable by death in Judaism, so while it is a valid recourse to the law, it may be the difference in fulfilling the law and being subject to it, maybe. One gets enough rope to hang themselves with the Book, iow. but perhaps a specific case might illuminate more here.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus founded a Church (Mt 16:18); he founded it on the Apostles (Eph 2:20) and it is described as the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Tim 3:15)

Catholics believe the Church that Jesus founded is both visible and invisible. It is visible in that it exists in a visible structure, with a visible organisation and with authority given it by Jesus himself (Mt 28:18-20).

He prayed that it would be one Church (Jn 17:20-23) -see also Rom 12:5, 1Cor 10:17 & 12:13 - not thousands of denominations; not thousands of one man churches. Jesus can have only one bride not hundreds of thousands.

That Church is headed by Christ (Col 1:18), but he appointed Peter to be the visible head on earth (Mt 16:18-19), to be the universal shepherd (Jn 21:15-17) of Christ’s one fold (Jn 10:16). This is the Catholic Church.
One church with Christ as teh head, made up of living stones, not ruled by men, where men are taught by God. Your church is not that church and Peter was never made that man, and you mungo would know that when you "read" teh bible in context as wormwood keeps harping on about, but like Him if you did you would suddenly be without reason nor justification for "your" church.

Its a bit like

Exo 5:1 And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness.
Exo 5:2 And Pharaoh said, Who is the LORD, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the LORD, neither will I let Israel go.

Bit like church,

Nope we wont let the people go, if we let them go who then wil serve us, who than will we have to be masters and rulers over.

Exo 5:5 And Pharaoh said, Behold, the people of the land now are many, and ye make them rest from their burdens.

Inst that what we are supposed to be doing, resting

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

But religion loves to lay yokes on men

Luk_11:46 And he said, Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.

But see the people dont want to leave

Exo 5:21 And they said unto them, The LORD look upon you, and judge; because ye have made our savour to be abhorred in the eyes of Pharaoh, and in the eyes of his servants, to put a sword in their hand to slay us.

and when they finally do come out. and are led into teh wilderness, when men finally have to walk in faith, it just gets worse

Exo_14:12 Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it had been better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness.

Than there are those who really are afraid of God

Exo_20:19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.

So "church:" will always have its place for many will spend all there lives wandering around in teh wilderness and never making it into teh promised land

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
mjrhealth said:
One church with Christ as teh head, made up of living stones, not ruled by men, where men are taught by God. Your church is not that church and Peter was never made that man, and you mungo would know that when you "read" teh bible in context as wormwood keeps harping on about, but like Him if you did you would suddenly be without reason nor justification for "your" church.

Its a bit like

Exo 5:1 And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness.
Exo 5:2 And Pharaoh said, Who is the LORD, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the LORD, neither will I let Israel go.

Bit like church,

Nope we wont let the people go, if we let them go who then wil serve us, who than will we have to be masters and rulers over.

Exo 5:5 And Pharaoh said, Behold, the people of the land now are many, and ye make them rest from their burdens.

Inst that what we are supposed to be doing, resting

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

But religion loves to lay yokes on men

Luk_11:46 And he said, Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.

But see the people dont want to leave

Exo 5:21 And they said unto them, The LORD look upon you, and judge; because ye have made our savour to be abhorred in the eyes of Pharaoh, and in the eyes of his servants, to put a sword in their hand to slay us.

and when they finally do come out. and are led into teh wilderness, when men finally have to walk in faith, it just gets worse

Exo_14:12 Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it had been better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness.

Than there are those who really are afraid of God

Exo_20:19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.

So "church:" will always have its place for many will spend all there lives wandering around in teh wilderness and never making it into teh promised land
Church is how you get to the promised land. Lone rangers get lost in the desert.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Church is how you get to the promised land. Lone rangers get lost in the desert.
No actualy Moses, Jesus, Joseph, Gods chosen the israelites, all spent time in teh desert, its a place of testing and learning
Jesus is teh only way, did you make another???

Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My authority is the Scriptures. That is what I focus on and I believe they are understandable when read in context. Jesus sure seemed to think the Pharisees should have understood the Scriptures and he didn't seem to think the "everyone has their own interpretation" was a valid excuse for ignoring or twisting them.

I feel no need to justify myself to mj, nor do I feel like I need to take lessons from someone who denies Scripture and regularly abuses it for their own glory. I'm always happy to discuss the Scriptures, what they mean and how we should apply them to our lives. I am not willing to engage in endless hypotheticals that only seem to be attempts to obscure the clear meaning of various texts in the Bible.

In sum, the Bible was written and inspired to be understood. I simply reject continual attempts to make it seem impossible to grasp in an endless sea of personal views.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I simply reject continual attempts to make it seem impossible to grasp in an endless sea of personal views.
Mat_11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Yes to many smart people for Jesus, they have the bible dont need God.

Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

You have no authority, cepth that what people allow you to have over them

1Co_2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

Without revelation...you have nothing

1Co_1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

1Co_1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Knowing the bible proves nothing cept taht you know teh bible.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
mjrhealth said:
No actualy Moses, Jesus, Joseph, Gods chosen the israelites, all spent time in teh desert, its a place of testing and learning
Jesus is teh only way, did you make another???

Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
And Jesus gave us a Church and instructed the leaders of that Church "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age." (Mt 28:19-20).

"Lo, I am with you always". With who? With his Church.

He didn't say just hand out Bibles and tell them to make up their own doctrines and find their way to him.

What did Paul do on his travels? Did he just hand out Bibles? No, he taught people, baptised people made disciples and formed them into local churches and set up leaders - bishops - to supervise them. And after some time Paul returned to many of the local churches to check on them (Acts 15:36-41) or sent them letters.

"Paul, called by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and our brother Sosthenes, to the church of God which is at Corinth" (1 Cor 1:1-2)

"Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, to the Church of the Thessalonians" (1 Thess 1:1)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Wormwood said:
In sum, the Bible was written and inspired to be understood. I simply reject continual attempts to make it seem impossible to grasp in an endless sea of personal views.
then see how limiting passages that reveal universal concepts to the definitions you have been given to understand about "church" or "believer" is a personal view. I agree with you, the Book will get you there, if/when you read It enough for yourself, and recognize that It is a Book of questions. Or else present a doctrine from the Book that you understand, and we can see whether it is universally understood or not. For i am confident that there is another valid pov that is equally derived from Scripture.

Of course you can trust that Christ's "For..." is truth, whereas mine is debatable, and i would say that all those years of Bible study did serve me, even though i was reading them blind at the time and can admit that now, because i have not forgotten them, now that Word has engendered a little hearing; even if i am no longer certain what a passage is referring to. I used to be sure of them all, myself. And now i am not. But i can find the "For" now, too, that i could not see when the passage had to mean what i thought it meant, and could not mean anything else.

In sum, the Bible is inspired and written to reveal one's heart, and may quite easily be misunderstood, as those who would alter It to read "Easter" when the text translates to "Passover" might easily demonstrate. And you might reflect upon the fact that it is those who did the scribing that you rely upon for your understanding of the Book now. You are in a sense cemented into a frame, a pov, and have adopted premises that may or may not be true. So now you have a concept of treating a tax collector a certain way, that surely is not going to their house for dinner, see. The confusion or cognitive dissonance is not caused by the Book, but by the pov and premises from which It has been read.

And these can change; this is what "change your mind" is referring to. Is it difficult? How difficult is it to see that "For wherever two or three are gathered" is the principle from which the preceding verses are derived? All depends upon how married one is to their premises. Having come to associate with a specific belief system--rather than "believes all things"--it is likely the most difficult thing you will ever do, because one will naturally go to their peers who hold the same pov with their questions, and it is well known that questions are not tolerated very well in...pretty much any belief system.

Your questions are going to precipitate a storm, and you are going to be at the center of it. You may have even witnessed this occurring before. Almost surely that person has now left your congregation, to be treated like a tax collector by your congregation now, i guess? But should you ever happen to have dinner with them, you might judge for yourself whether they have come closer to God, or gotten further away as you were told. Why do questions that earnestly seek truth--not asked from "why?"--cause this? Imo for the same reason that my last post is not being addressed--but that is just my opinion, and maybe there is some self serving stuff in there i don't recognize, and i am being called away so i can't concentrate anymore. Suffice it to say that it will not be God chastising you for asking questions to learn more about Him. But you are going to be driven away, i guess, so just get ready for that. Y'all have a good day.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009: Howdy.

Your question: " Why do questions that earnestly seek truth--not asked from "why?"--cause this?"

Only a very few members of the church I attend have been excommunicated, (or treated as a tax collector etc.).

Unrepentant, public sin was the cause, not earnest questioning. (and one of those people has been restored to fellowship, due to repentance, finally.)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
tabletalk said:
bbyrd009: Howdy.

Your question: " Why do questions that earnestly seek truth--not asked from "why?"--cause this?"

Only a very few members of the church I attend have been excommunicated, (or treated as a tax collector etc.).

Unrepentant, public sin was the cause, not earnest questioning. (and one of those people has been restored to fellowship, due to repentance, finally.)
ok, so surely that happens, too, even if it is the other one that is virtually a cliche. Neverminding that you cannot attend a church, anyway, practically speaking. See we equate "the Church at Corinth" or wherever with what we understand to be "church" now, when i would suspect that definition also; "Church" to Paul meant "people who are called out," and you have to suspect that his understanding was vastly different from the definition we have today.

He even warned us that he knew as soon as he left the wolves would come in. By which i do not mean to discount your church, as surely it has some Church members in it; but the point is to recognize a different definition of Church, that includes Samaritans and First Sons, hopefully. And allows cross examination of bishops, particularly if they are self-appointed.

Which does not negate the fact that you likely followed a perfectly valid path for this excommunication, understand, but that there is a sense in which you did not excommunicate anyone from the Church at all, but rather from your congregation, which defines "the Church at _________" for you perhaps, but no doubt there are other people seeking God in your town who would disagree, yes? Iow gangs or clubs, or associations or unions all do this same thing; it is a spiritual principle, that descends from "For..."

You witness cases where the ex rebounded, but of course we have plenty of cases of excommunication where history later found the Pope or church to be at fault, as well. So again, it comes down to cases, and of course it should also be noted that history/hindsight is 20/20, and is prolly not being very fair to the pope in those cases. It's easy to be an idealist from an armchair.

But if nothing else is made clear here, i hope the pov that those who assure you that Scripture is just full of clear answers to every question is bunk, and a better pov might be that Scripture provides a question for every assured answer, because you cannot quantify truth, or make a law about it; it will always fail in some cases, and Word will always be better--as most anyone in on the debate will agree, at least if they have no dog in the hunt. Truth is a moving target; and the Book recognizes this, even if the guy interpreting It for you does not.

So, can "...wherever two or three are gathered..." be used for church admin? Definitely. Does that define "For wherever two or three are gathered..." though? Definitely not! It might even be seen to be the lightest application, the merest shade, of the spiritual principle. If it turns out that it was wolves or popes doing the Exing, Christ likely was not anywhere near that, see.

In my interpretation these two or three are not hand picked see, whereas in the church admin one, they necessarily are--unless you cast lots for that, which i never see happen, except in my congregation, and even then i pretty much have to be standing right there, or else some clique or other has formed to complain about some jot or tittle, usually and i'm sure that they would describe themselves as "wherever two or three have gathered" see? While of course there are also legit cases such as the one you mention, where even 2 or 3 drawn from lots would uphold your opinion--but the point is that this interpretation is likely not what was intended at "For wherever 2 or 3 are gathered..." at all, even if it can be made to serve that purpose.

i came to my present interpretation by example outside some convenience store one night, some waif who needed something--or maybe i was the waif, i forget now--and a third person coming out of the store--or going in--just kind of paused and fell in with us (after several others passed by, averting their gaze or looking at their phones or watches, for reasons that are now obvious even to whoever is reading this), and ended up maybe contributing some bit of knowledge or info that allowed the problem to be resolved.

And see, no one mentioned God or Jesus, or their church; no one got "saved" that night, by most churches definitions. Many might argue that "in My Name" was therefore not invoked; at least until you cross examined the one who was served, who if i remember right was crying from relief and thanks at the end. Now could you argue that the passage had nothing to do with the application? Sure you could, but you would have to argue it with the waif, after they had been helped, and i'm guessing that 2 or 3 drawn by lots would uphold this interpretation, whaddya think?

Why do people make decisions, and not draw lots anymore? Lol, because you cannot forward an agenda by drawing lots, that's why.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What did Paul do on his travels? Did he just hand out Bibles? No, he taught people, baptised people made disciples and formed them into local churches and set up leaders - bishops - to supervise them. And after some time Paul returned to many of the local churches to check on them (Acts 15:36-41) or sent them letters.
while this pov has enabled us to justify our current model of "church," that does not mean that are not vast differences in what Paul meant v what we think of now. Paul was also glad that he did not baptize any more than a couple, too, so characterizing him as a baptizer is questionable. Paul's disciples surely walked away from their old lives and lived Church, in a way that would be completely foreign to most of us now. There was no mortgage on the Church at Corinth, also. Paul's admission that the wolves would come as soon as he left is being ignored, too. There was no financial arrangement between these Churches and the governments--most often those in the Church were wanted by those governments; there was a price on their heads. So, night and day, imo.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He didn't say just hand out Bibles and tell them to make up their own doctrines and find their way to him.
But your church did make up its own doctrines, which you lot so often quote from.

Mat_15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

An by teh way teh bible doent mention the bible because it was not "compiled" yet by man.

"Lo, I am with you always". With who? With his Church.
No, He is with us, always for ever.Jesus church is a collection of people who belong to Him its not an institution.

Jesus gives all those who comew to Him te hHoly Spirit , this bit

Joh_16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

So they could learn from Him and not be lied to by man and His religions

Joh_6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

See they go to Him not your church or any of mens churches.

Why dont you like people learning from Jesus by teh Holy spirit, is it too, because you hold position in church and love having "rule" over people??