What do you think this text says about the deity of Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

oldhermit

Dec 19, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 1:8-9
"But to the Son He says: 'Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions.'”

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It teaches that Jesus is God, to put it simply.

And this is also an essential for salvation, John 8:24.

See also John 8:58, John 8:59 with John 10:31-33 with these compared to Exodus 3:14.

The Pharisees picked up stones to stone Jesus because He claimed to be God.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 1:8-9, the quote from Psalms 45:6-7, says nothing about Jesus being divine. As in Psalms, the context is about a human ruler (most probably King David) anointed by God. As with David as his son, so with Jesus, his true begotten Son. As David is not divine, the same as Christ. Both David and Jesus are subordinate to their maker and their Father, the LORD God Almighty.

This scripture as in many others, never intends to elevate Christ as divine, the same as his Father, as many desperately wishes it did to fit into their self-contrived false truth about Christ, being equal to his Father, and God himself. This scripture is meant to show that Jesus Christ is now above all men and even angels, who rules them from a special place or throne given to him by his, and our Father. Verses 8 and 9 explicitly states the roles and basic differences: that simply God is the Father of Christ, his true Son. This is a very simple thought process to understand and internalize and trust as the truth.

Reading the entire Chapter One of Hebrews clearly makes my points much more clearer, as its context. God the LORD is always spoken of as the creator of all things, the only one in charge, the only one that makes all the decisions and thus by implication, is the only deity, and never his Son, or anyone else.

Blessings,

APAK

Reactions: DNB

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 1:8-9, the quote from Psalms 45:6-7, says nothing about Jesus being divine.

It does indeed speak of the fact that Jesus is not only divine; but that He is God come in human flesh.

All one need do is read the first fourteen verses of the gospel of John to come to the understanding that Jesus is the Lord (God).

their self-contrived false truth about Christ, being equal to his Father, and God himself.

It is certainly not a false truth (see John 5:18).

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can you say that when it PLAINLY says that Jesus is God?
As you have read already Enoch I did say that it 'plainly' says that Christ is not divine in this selected scripture.

Maybe your eyes laser-focused on the capitalized word 'God' after 'your throne O' and overwhelmed you. You then based your conclusion on it as Christ being, the same 'God' our LORD?

You can explain your 'plain' view I hope?

Blessed Day,

APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does indeed speak of the fact that Jesus is not only divine; but that He is God come in human flesh.

All one need do is read the first fourteen verses of the gospel of John to come to the understanding that Jesus is the Lord (God).

It is certainly not a false truth (see John 5:18).
Can you stick to the verses at hand first, and then explain how you got Christ as being divine from them?

Thanks,

APAK

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you stick to the verses at hand first, and then explain how you got Christ as being divine from them?

Thanks,

APAK
God the Father calls the Son God. And Jesus is the Son of God.

Not to mention there are many passages in the word that teach us that Jesus is the Lord (God).

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the Lord wants us to take the scripture at face value (see 2 Corinthians 3:12 (kjv)). He is not going to give us a different message than what is plainly stated when we look a little deeper.

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God the Father calls the Son God. And Jesus is the Son of God.

Not to mention there are many passages in the word that teach us that Jesus is the Lord (God).

You know JBF, it would be an astonishing approach by the author of this scripture to 'plainly' say that the Father called his true Son, 'God' the same as himself.

Have you ever wondered about your conclusion; like does it really make sense? Have you considered that many of the translators deliberately changed GOD to God and it was meant to be god, as many human beings and even Satan were called gods in the OT for example. Knowing that the Hebrew and original Greek text were all capitalized symbols without any spaces, many or most translators still chose to make this particular word 'God' over the appropriate word 'god.' You can look as other similar situations or places in scripture where translators did correctly translate this word to 'god' or 'gods' as when Jesus spoke to the Pharisees, for example. You must consider this seriously before being mesmerized when you think you see 'God' the Father as the same as his Son, Jesus our Saviour. Besides, the context, by reading Hebrews Chapter One then would not make sense if you think that the Father called his Son the same as himself. The Father gave his Son a throne, never the same as his Father's as I'm sure you know already. The Book of Revelation is a place we look to know our Lord opens the scroll taken from his Father's 'hand' and his Father sat on his and only his own throne....

Blessings,

APAK

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hebrews 1:8-9
"But to the Son He says: 'Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions.'”
I said "you are elohim" so of course our High Priest would at least be some kind of theos, right, although other Scripture, Jesus' Own Words, would negate a capital "G" there in "God" as Jesus' plainly told us there is only One of Those right, ergo a small "g" "god" might be more in line with a holistic reading imo

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know JBF, it would be an astonishing approach by the author of this scripture to 'plainly' say that the Father called his true Son, 'God' the same as himself.

Have you ever wondered about your conclusion; like does it really make sense? Have you considered that many of the translators deliberately changed GOD to God and it was meant to be god, as many human beings and even Satan were called gods in the OT for example. Knowing that the Hebrew and original Greek text were all capitalized symbols without any spaces, many or most translators still chose to make this particular word 'God' over the appropriate word 'god.' You can look as other similar situations or places in scripture where translators did correctly translate this word to 'god' or 'gods' as when Jesus spoke to the Pharisees, for example. You must consider this seriously before being mesmerized when you think you see 'God' the Father as the same as his Son, Jesus our Saviour. Besides, the context, by reading Hebrews Chapter One then would not make sense if you think that the Father called his Son the same as himself. The Father gave his Son a throne, never the same as his Father's as I'm sure you know already. The Book of Revelation is a place we look to know our Lord opens the scroll taken from his Father's 'hand' and his Father sat on his and only his own throne....

Blessings,

APAK
There is only one true God (John 17:3). So if Jesus is a god, and not God, then He is a false god.

btw, the Greek word for and in John 17:3 is kai, which can be translated even.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said "you are elohim" so of course our High Priest would at least be some kind of theos, right, although other Scripture, Jesus' Own Words, would negate a capital "G" there in "God" as Jesus' plainly told us there is only One of Those right, ergo a small "g" "god" might be more in line with a holistic reading imo
Right on...you see it!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said "you are elohim" then i guess they are all "false" too right
Jehovah is the LORD of hosts; and He is one.

The Holy Ghost dwells in all of His fulness in each individual member of the church (1 Corinthians 6:17, Ephesians 3:19).

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Right on...you see it!
that was before i read your post, too, how weird is that? But fwiw i think Jesus is deliberately elevated so that Apollos worshippers may be brought along, too, and these days i am inclined to let Jesus worshippers be Jesus worshippers myself, and hopefully at some point they will actually read the Bible for themselves, discover the Esau story, and etc i mean its all in There i guess right? :)

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that was before i read your post, too, how weird is that? But fwiw i think Jesus is deliberately elevated so that Apollos worshippers may be brought along, too, and these days i am inclined to let Jesus worshippers be Jesus worshippers myself, and hopefully at some point they will actually read the Bible for themselves, discover the Esau story, and etc i mean its all in There i guess right? :)
Byrd...All I can say is, keep on what you are doing mate.....scripture is a great delight for me, in my life and the knowledge it brings to it is amazing....Great Day to you as for anyone who seeks the truth, and that included not just us...also those on this forum...APAK

Reactions: bbyrd009

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Byrd...All I can say is, keep on what you are doing mate.....scripture is a great delight for me, in my life and the knowledge it brings to it is amazing....Great Day to you as for anyone who seeks the truth, and that included not just us...also those on this forum...APAK
Very sad...