What does born again mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? What about this?:

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire." Matt 3:11

refers to the Christian sacrament of baptism

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can quote all the scripture in the bible but it still doesn't make it true that what Catholics teach is true.

then Christ teaches error?

Christ and his church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32

Matt 18:17 refuse to listen to the church?

Truth must be revealed by Christ to his church. Jude 1:3 the holy church teaches all nations. Matt 28:19 without error. Jn 16:13

The evidence of true faith is humble subjection and obedience to Christ & His holy church!

The rule of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ Jn 14:6 and His church! Matt 18:17 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

True Christians cannot listen to the errors of excommunicated heretics, but we listen faithfully to Christ, in the bosom of holy mother church, the only ark of salvation!
1 pet 3:20-21 matt 18:17 matt 16:18-19 matt 28:19-20 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-23

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

Christ and His church are one! (Acts 9:4 eph 5:31 Jn 15:1-5)

Rejection of the one true church or its teaching is rejection of Christ and God!

Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 Jn 8:12 & Matt 5:14

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Discipleship in running that race by looking to Him to help us lay aside every weight & sin daily does not include the works of Catholicism or being a member of the Catholic Church to be saved. All invitations for salvation is by coming to Jesus Christ & believing in Him for eternal life; not to a church in doing works within her to keep on doing as if to obtain salvation within her.

As it is, unbelievers are not in that race because they are not saved. A sinner needs to be saved for Jesus Christ to be in them in order to run that race by faith in Jesus Christ in looking to Him daily to help them lay aside every weight & sin to walk in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son.

To say we are not saved yet, is to deny Him as our Savior because we are saved for having come to & believed in Him to for why we call Him our Savior.

Romans 4:1What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

he says not saved yet only redeemed and justified

Matt 24:13

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith alone is a condemned heresy by the authority of Christ and the apostolic tradition

1 cor 13:2 all faith without charity avails nothing
Rom 13:11 makes faith alone impossible

How do you get born again of the Spirit? In other words, how do you get the promise of the Holy Spirit at your salvation?

You can tell when a believer or a church opposes itself when they acknowledge that the Holy Spirit is in you but yet deny that you are not saved yet for having come to & believed in Jesus Christ.

The fact that the Holy Spirit is in you, proves you are saved. There is only going on to perfection now by running that race by faith in Jesus Christ to help you lay aside every weight & sin daily for walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son so that you may bear fruit & your joy is full.

Hebrews 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.'''

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; 13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. 14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. 15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, 16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Jesus made only one offering for sins for ever and thereby is sitting at the right hand of God for why we are perfected for ever as sanctified for ever as saved because Jesus is not getting up from that sitting place to offer Himself again. The Holy Ghost in us is also a witness to us that we are saved for why there is no more offering for sin.

To believe that the Church is making His one time offering for sin "to be made present again" to "receive again" in the Mass is a lie and an offense to God as if making the blood f the Covenant on par with the blood of bulls & goats to have to do it again.

Here is what happens to believers after having received the knowledge of the truth that there is no more sacrifice for sins, and yet sin willfully as if there still is, treating His blood like the blood of bulls & goats, God will judge His people severely.

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Do note how the Lord still considers them as His people even though they will be judged severely.

When any one believes in the Lord Jesus Christ & that God has raised Him from the dead, they are saved. That foundation has been laid by Jesus Christ and that seal of adoption is given which can never be removed, but if any works on that foundation denies Him, He will deny them for not abiding in Him & His words when He comes as the Bridegroom, but even though saints left behind to die, He still abides in them for why their spirits will be with the Lord in Heaven awaiting their resurrection after the great tribulation.

Salvation is not lost but being partakers of the firstfruits of the resurrection is lost, by not enduring to the end by keeping the faith which is the good fight. There are other iniquities for why a saved believer would be left behind in for not departing from, but not doing communion only in remembrance of Him but receiving Him again as that one time sacrifice for sins is made present again to receive again is an offense to God.

One can repent of this offense to God by doing "communion" only in remembrance of Him as proclaiming the Lord's death in what He has accomplished for having saved us till He comes.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not the same

Redemption, Justification, Sanctification, and Salvation!

Redemption: 100 percent the work of God, thru the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ! All mankind are redeemed in Christ! Eph 2
Galatians 2:16 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law...
Christ alone accomplished the redemption of mankind apart from any works on our part!

(Redemption is not Salvation)
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Justification: our acceptance of redemption thru faith and baptism! Become a disciple and member of Christ and His Church! Jn 3:5 acts 2:38 Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized shall be saved. 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Sanctification: the life of grace in the holy sacrifice of the mass and sacraments, prayer, virture, and good works, the just living by faith, and faith working thru love! Phil 1:29 called to suffer with Christ.
All done in Christ thru His grace! Jn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Salvation: a christian in the state if grace at the moment of death we enter into the salvation of the Lord! Mt 24:44-47 faithful servant! Jn 15:1-5 abide in me. Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
Heb 4:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Rom 13:11 ...for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Suffering required for glorification with Christ!

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Justification and salvation are not the same rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Proof of true faith is humble s humble subjection and obedience to Christ and His holy church!

You are way over complicating it sir. There are two outcomes for humans, life or death. The gift that God gives is everlasting life through Jesus Christ, that is called Salvation in the Bible, among other names, but that is it, either everlasting life or death. If one wants life, they must side with God on the issue now. If you choose death, then it will be automatic, you are your own god and make your own choices.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you get born again of the Spirit? In other words, how do you get the promise of the Holy Spirit at your salvation?

Ez 36:25-27

You can tell when a believer or a church opposes itself when they acknowledge that the Holy Spirit is in you but yet deny that you are not saved yet for having come to & believed in Jesus Christ.

justification not salvation

The fact that the Holy Spirit is in you, proves you are saved. There is only going on to perfection now by running that race by faith in Jesus Christ to help you lay aside every weight & sin daily for walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son so that you may bear fruit & your joy is full.

no only justification in a state of sanctifying Grace

Hebrews 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.'''

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; 13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. 14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. 15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, 16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Jesus made only one offering for sins for ever and thereby is sitting at the right hand of God for why we are perfected for ever as sanctified for ever as saved because Jesus is not getting up from that sitting place to offer Himself again. The Holy Ghost in us is also a witness to us that we are saved for why there is no more offering for sin.

To believe that the Church is making His one time offering for sin "to be made present again" to "receive again" in the Mass is a lie and an offense to God as if making the blood f the Covenant on par with the blood of bulls & goats to have to do it again.

No Christ is eternal high priest
A priest offers sacrifice
So his sacrifice is eternally offered to the father
Heb 7: 17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Here is what happens to believers after having received the knowledge of the truth that there is no more sacrifice for sins, and yet sin willfully as if there still is, treating His blood like the blood of bulls & goats, God will judge His people severely.

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Do note how the Lord still considers them as His people even though they will be judged severely.

When any one believes in the Lord Jesus Christ & that God has raised Him from the dead, they are saved. That foundation has been laid by Jesus Christ and that seal of adoption is given which can never be removed, but if any works on that foundation denies Him, He will deny them for not abiding in Him & His words when He comes as the Bridegroom, but even though saints left behind to die, He still abides in them for why their spirits will be with the Lord in Heaven awaiting their resurrection after the great tribulation.

Salvation is not lost but being partakers of the firstfruits of the resurrection is lost, by not enduring to the end by keeping the faith which is the good fight. There are other iniquities for why a saved believer would be left behind in for not departing from, but not doing communion only in remembrance of Him but receiving Him again as that one time sacrifice for sins is made present again to receive again is an offense to God.

One can repent of this offense to God by doing "communion" only in remembrance of Him as proclaiming the Lord's death in what He has accomplished for having saved us till He comes.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus didn’t say it’s an option to be born again, or preferably you should be born again, He said you MUST be born again.

To those he was speaking to, that is very true. Of course, God chooses them, not we ourselves. While I would graciously accept the calling if it was offered, I am greatly pleased that I was not chosen. I fully recognize what a great privilege it is and I truly support those who have been called, but perhaps I do not have the degree of love that they do. I am so very happy just to be a resident of that Kingdom.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are way over complicating it sir. There are two outcomes for humans, life or death. The gift that God gives is everlasting life through Jesus Christ, that is called Salvation in the Bible, among other names, but that is it, either everlasting life or death. If one wants life, they must side with God on the issue now. If you choose death, then it will be automatic, you are your own god and make your own choices.

we still have free will to choose to repent or sin

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To those he was speaking to, that is very true. Of course, God chooses them, not we ourselves. While I would graciously accept the calling if it was offered, I am greatly pleased that I was not chosen. I fully recognize what a great privilege it is and I truly support those who have been called, but perhaps I do not have the degree of love that they do. I am so very happy just to be a resident of that Kingdom.

All are called

the new covenant is catholic; universal
Lk 2:10-11 Jn 1:29 Jn 3:16

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
justification not salvation

Explain the difference because that is the same thing. To be justified for ever is to be saved for ever.

no only justification in a state of sanctifying Grace

Salvation has been obtained as justified for ever for why there is no more sacrifice for sins to be saved by.

No Christ is eternal high priest
A priest offers sacrifice
So his sacrifice is eternally offered to the father
Heb 7: 17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

His one time sacrifice is forever and bears no repeating to receive again for why He is a Priest forever.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hurray we agree, and I am part of His Church even though I'm not Catholic.

how do you become a member?

to be in union with Christ in the covenant and in communion with God and his saints?

Remember it’s a covenant not a bible study

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Explain the difference because that is the same thing. To be justified for ever is to be saved for ever.

Salvation has been obtained as justified for ever for why there is no more sacrifice for sins to be saved by.

His one time sacrifice is forever and bears no repeating to receive again for why He is a Priest forever.

If it’s once for all it must be eternal
Always offered to the Father by the son and his church

once bloody on calvery and for all time offered unbloody

mal 1:11

For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the Lord of hosts.

pure offering of the order of Melchizedek
Pure offering
Clean oblation
Unbloody sacrifice

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything Jesus taught applies to all people everywhere now.

He originally came only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel, but because they rejected their own messiah, except for a remnant, salvation by faith in Jesus and entering the kingdom was opened up to the Greeks, aka the gentiles.

Now everything Jesus taught applies to everyone, including the fact that you must be born again to enter His kingdom - and if you’re not in His kingdom, you’re damned.

Proof of this is that Paul taught the kingdom everywhere he went, and he is the apostle to the gentiles, not to the Jews, as Peter was:

Rom 11:13 Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry

Obviously if the kingdom and entering the kingdom was only for the Jews, then an apostle to the gentiles would not be preaching the kingdom to those gentiles.

There is is only ONE gospel of the kingdom of Christ and of God, offered first to the Jew, then to the gentile:

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

All that Jesus taught applies to us, as proven by Paul, the apostle to the gentiles, preaching the kingdom:

Act 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Act 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the KINGDOM of God, shall see my face no more.

Act 28:30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,

Act 28:31 Preaching the KINGDOM of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

Paul preached the same exact thing to both the Jews and the Greeks/gentiles- there was no difference:

Act 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you,but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Therefore YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN, it’s not an option, unless you prefer damnation, that is.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
refers to the Christian sacrament of baptism

That is not the message your post communicated to me:

Mk 16:16 faith AND baptism
Acts 8:36-38 faith AND baptism

there is no baptism of the Holy Spirit

only the Christian sacrament of baptism by water in the name of the holy trinity not just the HS
If you want people to pay attention to you and seriously consider your point of view, you should be more careful about what you say.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
True Born again means you are Israel ! Just like Jacob got the name ? who was it that gave this Title to him ? and why ? well it was an Angel !

Then we see in the next person who was given this Title ? Nathaniel ! and by whom ? Jesus Christ himself ! and why ? well we see in all this that Jesus said of Nathaniel and if you do not know or understand all that Jesus said to and about Nathaniel you are not truly born again in fact ! because if you did understand, you would know, because you abide in the same Vine.
You would be as one in Israel serving Christ Jesus who is the Alpha and the Omega ! but one needs the Holy Spirit to understand and abide in the Vine.
Just as one must truly understand that, No one comes to the Father but through his only begotten Son.
Enter through The Narrow Gate ? for Wide is ?

So we have people who believe that they are going to Heaven ? because ? well they are peddling on that Gate is Wide issue ? Just believe and you are saved ? well no ! that's the Wide way ? If one believes does that mean that you know God ! not to mention does Jesus know you ? are you Saved ? well do you understand what such details ? you must what ! The Bible says what you must do, With all your Strength and all your ? what and what ! not to mention this world is what ! and you must come out from them ! and that about The Kingdom of God ? now not all can get into the Kingdom of God and the Bible has all the reasons why written out who can not enter in fact. because such are not worthy ! and if such are not worthy of the Kingdom of God well well ! I am sure that they can not go to Heaven in fact.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
how do you become a member?
i was born into it when I was 35.
It's wonderful, you should try it instead of doing your best to deny it. This relationship with Jesus is so personal and special and you could have that too if you'd only believe what people are telling you.

Reactions: Christ4Me