What Does Forgiveness Look Like in Practice?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgiveness is shown to us by how God and Jesus forgive.
Before God or Jesus forgives us there has to be repentance, then there is forgiveness.

This is a hard thing to understand.
All through the bible in the old testament the Jews would sin and to gain ritual forgiveness they would go to the temple to offer a sacrifice for their sin, laying a hand on the ani als head as it was killed.
They learnt that forgiveness followed repentance.
This is seen in the new testament see Luke17:3 + 4.
If your brother sins against you rebuke them and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin seven times a day and seven times come back to you saying ' I repent ' you must forgive them.

Jesus on the cross did not forgive his killers, rather he prayed for them, as did Stephen when he was stoned to death.

They show us how we should deal with those who have offended against us and have not repented.
We are to pray for them, telling God all about it and opening ourselves up to the Spirits guidance.
How do we pray for them. We are to pray for there good. To pray regularly and intelligently for there well being.
While we often read repentance and forgiveness together, they are still two separate things, and they don't have to go together!

Mat 18:21 Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

There is no mention of repentance above, just forgiveness!!

So if we look at that verse and Luke 17:3,4 we find one verse say if they repent and forgive them, we can't come up to the conclusion that repentance is absolutely need before you forgive someone. It takes a small jump in logic to make the conclusion that Windmillcharge makes.

Luke 5:24 “But, so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,”—He said to the paralytic—“I say to you, get up, and pick up your stretcher and go home.”

Where exactly is the repentance in the above story? It is not there, but forgiveness is done by Jesus in order "so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" and thus not because the man repented!!!!!!

To often I see Christians read one passage in the Bible and make and overall application of their new theology!!

Exodus 32:29 Then Moses said, “Dedicate yourselves today to the LORD—for every man has been against his son and against his brother—in order that He may bestow a blessing upon you today. On the next day Moses said to the people, “You yourselves have committed a great sin; and now I am going up to the LORD, perhaps I can make atonement for your sin.”

Then Moses returned to the LORD, and said, “Alas, this people has committed a great sin, and they have made a god of gold for themselves. “But now, if You will, forgive their sin—and if not, please blot me out from Your book which You have written!” The LORD said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.

In the above verses we see that the people dedicated themselves to the Lord and Moses then went to the Lord with repentance on behalf of the people (Alas, this people has committed a great sin) yet that was not good enough to forgive them at that time.

God's personality does not change, so what happened? It was the problem that the people were not willing to enter into a personal relationship with the Lord for themselves!!!

Exodus 20:19 Then they said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen; but let not God speak to us, or we will die.”

Those people did not want to hear from the Lord for themselves. So they wanted Moses to do their talking with the Lord, instead of seeking the Lord for themselves!! On the other hand the paralytic got himself present to the Lord, so even though he did repent he got his sins forgiven.

So what is the importance of "repentance"? It tell you that we sinners won't seek the Lord until we come to the realization that we are sinners and don't know the right thing to do. When we realize that we sinners need the Lord, we seek Him. That realization tends to come with repentance, but the paralytic sought Him for healing not because of repentance. Those people repented and sent Moses to seek the Lord for forgiveness, but they were unwilling to seek the Lord for themselves, so they did not seek the Lord by hearing Him with faith!

And we can say we repent, like them, but still not actually open up to His voice and words to us personally, which we hearing near us by faith!! Is that going to help you? His sheep hear His voice!!

Rev 3:19 - 22 ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. ‘He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. ‘He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

The fact is that the Lord does reprove us because He loves us. If we are willing to accept His reproof, we should accept it, consider it, then become zealous for Him and repent of what we are doing. The "repentance" should humble us and cause us to be zealous for Him, That should get you get us to seek Him and thus "HEAR" his voice personally! He then is going to come into you and talk to you, because He is naturally a forgiving person. He is like that because He wants that personal relationship with you personally!! So He forgives those who really are seeking Him, but not for those who are pretending to want to know Him, when they don't.

Is 30:9 For this is a rebellious people, false sons, Sons who refuse to listen To the instruction of the LORD;

It is not about whether a person says they repent, or say they are dedicated to the Lord, Forgiveness from the Lord is for people who want a personal relationship with Him. Therefore, when someone comes and ask you to forgive them to repair a relationship you need to forgive them. If they say "Forgive me", but it is just said out of some religious tradition or practice, but they don't really mean it to repair relationships, even a minor one like with a customer or a random person you might have offended and didn't want to personally offend them. The heart matters, and the Lord judges the heart!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an interesting topic. Forgiveness for me is not taking offense to anything, but rather being passive to offense. It doesn't mean you can't cut relations with someone that is harmful in some way, but it does mean you shouldn't be angry with them.

Reactions: Jim B

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an interesting topic. Forgiveness for me is not taking offense to anything, but rather being passive to offense. It doesn't mean you can't cut relations with someone that is harmful in some way, but it does mean you shouldn't be angry with them.

The Lord once talked to me about what He called "instant forgiveness". The above post describes "instant forgiveness" extremely well. It is like the old saying "like water off a duck".

Now being "passive to offense" is not exactly the same thing. A "passive person" can be just that, 'being passive' as opposed to really just letting offensive thing go off them. In that case they might be holding their anger in them, and that can be a huge problem!!

The Lord once asked me to go to a movie called "Anger Manager" Frankly, that movie was not one I wanted to go and see. Indeed, it looked like the type of movie I would not like to go to. And while watching it, I was thinking the same thing, until I got to the end and the Lord spoke to me about the wisdom in the movie. I think a big part of the reason I did not like watching it, was that I can be alot like the main character in the movie - meaning I felt I didn't have an anger management problem, because I was doing my best to just not let other's offenses to me bother me. The anger could indeed build up in me, and it needed to be addressed, like the that movie.

Forgiving and forgetting is not the same thing as just not responding to those offenses!! That results in a spirit of anger getting to you at a later time. Still it is also possible to just make it a habit to forgive and forget instantly. Yet that comes through knowing the Lord and telling Him instantly, Lord I forgive that and then just move on.

And still, we should pray the Lord's prayer and after it goes "forgive us our debts and we forgive our debtors" we need to add something like "Father I forgive any one I need to forgive" - and that just in case you are keeping some offense against you.

Also I would point out something about relationships: Not everyone needs to be one of our best friends!!!!!!!! And it is even wise to have what we sometimes call "Boundaries". Still saying that, forgiveness is about relationships!!! Primarily it is about our relationship with God - yet it is also about us having a friendly attitude in our society! After all - God created everyone, so if you are angry with other people are you not also angry with God - because He created them???

It is an issued we need to deal with, and indeed it is something the Lord has to talk to me about a lot, and the Lord is not so unlike the character Jack Nicolson play in the movie Anger Management. Don't think the Lord won't find ways to point out that anger management issues to you, and in seemingly impossible circumstances, just like in that movie!

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Where exactly is the repentance in the above story? It is not there, but forgiveness is done by Jesus in order "so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" and thus not because the man repented!!!!!!
One does not approach God unless one is humble enough to accept his help/healing etc.
Ever wondered why Jesus could not do miracles in Nazeruth?

The theology of forgiveness as you say is not built on one verse, but on the whole teaching of the bible, but one's theology has to account for such verses as luke 17:3.

There is a big problem when repentance is removed from forgiveness.
People who have been hurt, are told they must forgive those who hurt them and when those offender are not known or are unrepentant, they struggle to forgive them.

Biblical forgiveness means they don't have to, but instead they hand the offenders, the situation, their feelings all over to God for him to deal with.
At the same time they start praying for the offenders.

I don't expect you to agree, but please consider how you would councel a Christian who has suffered real hurt from an unknown offender. How do they forgive the offender, how do they deal with their feelings resulting from the incident?

All to often I read of super spiritual comments to ' just ' forgive!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 23:34, " Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

Matthew 6:11-12,
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.

Matthew 6:14-15, “For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

Matthew 18:21-22, "Then Peter came and said to him, “Lord, if my brother or sister sins against me, how often should I forgive? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “Not seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times."

Matthew 26:27-28, "Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

And that is just from one gospel. Forgiveness is discussed 27 other time in the other three gospels.

Ephesians 4:32, "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you."

Colossians 3:13, "Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive."

James 5:15, "The prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise them up, and anyone who has committed sins will be forgiven."

1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Of course, this is just a small sampling but I hope you get the idea about Christian forgiveness. BTW, there is no requirement of repentance mentioned before forgiving someone. That is putting the burden on someone else for your behavior.

To repeat, Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." He did NOT say "Father, forgive them, but only after they repent"
Two points two of your verse include repentance in them and the others are talking about those who won't forgive, but who hold on to a grudge.

Jesus told us if a brother or sister offends and says sorry we must forgive, even if they have done this same offence a countless number of times, if they say sorry we Must forgive.

But how do you deal with an offender who will not recognise or acknowledge there si against you?
Jesus did not forgive his executioners but prayed " Father,forgive them."

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above is much easier to say, believe in, than to put into the practicality of living in a "forgiving" spirit ! ❤️
I dont care what anyone says about ya keturah , You know i LOVES YA . NOW lift those hands and praise the LORD .
We will have many names given us by this world , But the only one thing that matters
IS , THE LAMBS HAVE THE LORD . PRAISE THE KING my dear friend . Praise the KING .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dont care what anyone says about ya keturah , You know i LOVES YA . NOW lift those hands and praise the LORD .
We will have many names given us by this world , But the only one thing that matters
IS , THE LAMBS HAVE THE LORD . PRAISE THE KING my dear friend . Praise the KING .
What !!!!! Is someone talking trash about me? :Laughingoutloud: :Laughingoutloud: :Laughingoutloud: .
You know I don't care for the opinions of others about ME.

Now when they start DENYING THE DEITY OF CHRIST OR ENDORSING THOSE WHOM DO, & OR DOCTRINES OF SATAN, then yeah I care greatly !.

Mucho love my brother !

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glad to have ignore option!
I was raised on " sticks & stones" theology & " what doesn't KILL you makes you stronger".
Too many snowflakes around / abound!

• Love

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is forgiveness just not taking personal vengeance? Is it forgetting the past and being open to reconciliation? What does it look like and are there limits?
Hello Wyona, Good post, After giving these questions some thought and realizing within the scriptures, I think a person would have to have the love of Christ, the Holy Ghost, to forgive someone after the enemy has worked through someone to do wrong you or someone that you love or not, you know it is an old saying, we take care of our own! but the scriptures say differently.

What are your thoughts?

Love, Walter and Debbie

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Wyona, Good post, After giving these questions some thought and realizing within the scriptures, I think a person would have to have the love of Christ, the Holy Ghost, to forgive someone after the enemy has worked through someone to do wrong you or someone that you love or not, you know it is an old saying, we take care of our own! but the scriptures say differently.

What are your thoughts?

Love, Walter and Debbie
I try to look at the way God forgives us and feel like God expects us to forgive in a similar way...maybe. I say maybe because God's divine love often goes a lot further than we can understand.

I know that when I repent and turn from my sins, God washes them away. Although I must give an account for my life, God promises to throw them in the sea of forgetfulness. But does God expect us to let people have chance after chance with no relational consequences? It cost God His Son. It always costs something.

Sometimes I think it's different for each person. As in some, we reconcile with, and some we just leave to God and pray for them without continuing the relationship.

I don't think repentance is a requirement before the command to forgive applies to us. God simply tells us to forgive as we have been forgiven. Jesus stood in for the woman caught in the act of adultery and we are not told she repented first. Jesus asked the Father to forgive his crucifiers despite them not being repentant.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What !!!!! Is someone talking trash about me? :Laughingoutloud: :Laughingoutloud: :Laughingoutloud: .
You know I don't care for the opinions of others about ME.

Now when they start DENYING THE DEITY OF CHRIST OR ENDORSING THOSE WHOM DO, & OR DOCTRINES OF SATAN, then yeah I care greatly !.

Mucho love my brother !
No one is . But we both know the world dont love lambs . And those who dont love GOD and His truth
have not much love for those who do speak truth . NOW LIFT THOSE HANDS UP ,
The last time i checked , ITS LORD PRAISING TIME in the building and round the world .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was raised on " sticks & stones" theology & " what doesn't KILL you makes you stronger".
Sticks and stones might break a lambs bones , BUT SIN IS WHAT SURELY SHALL KILL THE SOUL .
And that is why THIS lamb gonna speak truth , correct error and point to Christ no matter what the folks do to me .
Now lift those hands . Give leaven a millimeter , and it will take over a church . Believe me
ye give the devil an inch , HE GONNA BECOME THE RULER .
I seen churches fall big time . And the fall was mighty and total embracing of abomination is its end .
Guess how it started its fall , JUST a wee bit of leaven got left uncorrected and THEN BROUGHT MANY BUDDIES .
Correction aint hate . ITS LOVE . And its time the church truly learn that . ORIGINAL BIBLICAL PATTERN .
ISSSSS the only pattern that will work, CHRIST INSPIRED IT , GOD INSPIRED IT
and BY the SPIRIT the apostles were INSPIRED . ITS the only pattern that is gonna work
and keep a church healthy , thriving , safe and faithful to the end .
Ol amigo might seem like a pit bull on a chop when false doctrines arrive . BUT THERE IS A HUGE reason for it .
Even a little leaven WILL LEAVEN .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am gonna let you in on a lil secrete that ME thinks you already know .
And do feel free to examine this with every person that does this .
Those that are fast to say JUDGE NOT
JUDGE NOT , every time someone just makes mention of sin and or corrects ..........
THE REASON IS , THEY GOT SOME SINS in their own lives and they no likey THE REMINDERS .
IN other words this is why you will find out that so many
like to also help defend others sins . CAUSE they got their own too
and no like the reminders that have anything to do WITH A GOD , HIS CHRIST , OR ANY DOCTRINE
that reminds them of sin . FEEL free to examine those
who are fast to say LEGALISTS , who are fast to say JUDGE NOT
who are fast to call you racial without any cause other than they follow the social gospel .
Just watch and examine every person .
You will basically find two camps .
ONE WHOSE LOVE is for EVERY WORD and EVERY REMINDER OF GOD
THe other , PICKS AND CHOOSES and WANT ZERO REMINDERS that have anything to
do with the severity of GOD . IN fact if you examine that group real close
You gonna find out they even preach a false goodness of GOD . The kind that has led to the ACCEPTANCE OF SINS
not the GOODNESS of GOD that leads to REPENTANCE . Just examine and watch .

Last edited:

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JUDGE NOT , every time someone just makes mention of sin and or corrects ..........
THE REASON IS , THEY GOT SOME SINS in their own lives and they no likey THE REMINDERS .
and no like the reminders that have anything to do WITH A GOD , HIS CHRIST , OR ANY DOCTRINE
who are fast to call you racial without any cause other than they follow the social gospel .
do with the severity of GOD . IN fact if you examine that group will close
You gonna find out they even preach a false goodness of GOD . The kind that has led to the ACCEPTANCE OF SINS

You are one awesome
hombre ! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we dont behold both the goodness and severity of GOD , we will never even truly know HIS GOODNESS .
A false goodness will replace the true GOODNESS of GOD .
A false love will replace the TRUE LOVE OF GOD
and so on and so forth . TIME WE GET US BACK IN BIBLES . LEARN IT , LOVE IT , EMBRACE and
Praise be to the GLORIOUS LORD .

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I try to look at the way God forgives us and feel like God expects us to forgive in a similar way...maybe. I say maybe because God's divine love often goes a lot further than we can understand.

I know that when I repent and turn from my sins, God washes them away. Although I must give an account for my life, God promises to throw them in the sea of forgetfulness. But does God expect us to let people have chance after chance with no relational consequences? It cost God His Son. It always costs something.

Sometimes I think it's different for each person. As in some, we reconcile with, and some we just leave to God and pray for them without continuing the relationship.

I don't think repentance is a requirement before the command to forgive applies to us. God simply tells us to forgive as we have been forgiven. Jesus stood in for the woman caught in the act of adultery and we are not told she repented first. Jesus asked the Father to forgive his crucifiers despite them not being repentant.

Hi Wyona, Yes, repentance is necessary, Jesus said in Luke 17
1 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!

2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

5 And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.

6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?

8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?

9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.

10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Love, Walter

• Love

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
do with the severity of GOD . IN fact if you examine that group real close
Of course, you are sinless, correct? LOL!!!

GOD IS LOVE! And that is not a "false goodness".

This entire post is a very poor excuse for your chronic condemnation of everyone but yourself.