What Does It Mean To Know God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eternal life is to know God (John 17:3). To know Him and love Him is to obey His commandments (1John 2:3: John 14:15; 1John 2:5); and whoever says he lives in God will live just as Jesus Christ did (1John 2:6). To know God is different, from to know of Him. Even the devil knows of Him. To know Him is to be His friend (John 15:15). We must therefore remove everything that is an obstacle to our friendship with Him-which is sin. We must, therefore, repent for our sins (Luke 24:47). To repent we must be sincerely sorry for betraying God’s infinite goodness, and firmly resolve with the help of His grace to never sin again (John 8:11). It is, therefore, to start a new life. We will, therefore, remove our self from sinful situations in life and restore relationships which we have damaged by our sins. To be His friend we must also know everything about Him and have faith in it. We must therefore internalize His infinite act of love for us (in which He sacrificed His life for our sins, although we were unfaithful to Him) and love one another as He loved us (John 15:12).

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What does it mean to know God?

1. I am not alone.

2. He is the rock upon which I can base my hope.

3. He is my defense against my enemies.

4. The Lord is my shepard. How cool is that?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything aurnangelo said.
Plus I take it more personally.

I look at each word in the topic question...what did the Lord mean when He said (paraphase): Let a wise man not boast of his wisdom, nor a strong man boast of his strength, and let not a rich man boast of his riches. But he who does boast, let him boast of this - that he knows and understands me - so says the Lord. Jer 9:23, Jer 9:24. Each translation is close to the same, it may say 'glory' instead of boast.

What it means to know God (along with what arunangelo already said...) the Father, Christ and the Holy Spirit, would be hard to describe.

Once one has put himself into a place of Divine Receptivity - where each cell can feel Him surrounding you, breathing you and you can
feel His Presence in the air and the earth seems to stop it's movement - that is the first glimpse of knowing Him - the enormity of His Love, His
desire for you, His longing for your heart and His satisfaction when you open to Him...Eph 3:18 gives an idea of the vastness of Him.

That's what it means to me to know God. First to know Him -all the other comes naturally after this ---loving thy
neighbor, being charitable, taking care of orphans and widows, not offending Him with sin, following all the other commandments, etc.
One doesn't know Him by following written rules.
Written rules are what they are ---the first step on a Path of Intimacy.

They are the "rules of Love" we willing follow to get into the Secret Chamber
with Him...they simply allow us access...and are not an end in themselves

Thank you for the question.

:)