What does Our Savior consider Idolatry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good points. Never thought of that. :)

and...my answer is NO...I never celebrated graduation, as I didn't graduate from High School or College!!!! LOL
( my dad made me leave school at 14 1/2 and go to work!! )
But I have been to all my grandkids University graduations and celebrated all their Degrees.. :)
You have my admiration :)for your sacrifice and work ethic.
And, your grandchildren's graduations are indeed a reason for celebration.

Reactions: Helen

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right! I take strength in this passage when people try to judge me for keeping the feasts. He was saying to those who keep them not to let other tell them the manner of doing so. In like manner pertaining to non-biblical feasts Paul also said,

But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Now if you look at all my comments carefully, you see that I am basically bashing Christmas to which you cited a verse totally out of context about twisting what Paul said to one's destruction. Indeed, I cite what Paul said in the above verse. I don't know how you associate my bashing of a pagan holiday with twisting scripture.

As for graduations and b-days, yeah, I participate, but outwardly. I think they are hokey. Nobody told me not to, but there's a "pomp and circumstance" about them that elevates pride and inwardly I think its corny. Of course I am proud when my sons graduated and became engineers, ceremonies aside, which I hated the crowds and show, but one should do that in the context of what God gave to them and not as the world celebrates that. If there is sin in that, then I repent.

Now.... back to the question at hand.

You said: "If there is sin in that, then I repent"
Wouldn't repentance involve turning away from the sin, and not going to any more graduations? You still celebrate Christmas, which you think is sinful.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I rarely get angry, that is a presumption on your part, I would consider myself a free willed person, so as I said I reject the Authority of the Catholic Church, by choice. But that will not be an except-able answer for you. I would expect a intellect as yourself to have the comprehension skill's to understand my answer.
You don't get it.
I am totally fine with the fact that you reject the Church and it's Authority.

What I have asked you repeatedly is - WHY do you accept the Church's Authority when it comes to declaring the Canon of Scripture, but reject that Authority everywhere else??

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't get it.
I am totally fine with the fact that you reject the Church and it's Authority.

What I have asked you repeatedly is - WHY do you accept the Church's Authority when it comes to declaring the Canon of Scripture, but reject that Authority everywhere else??

Repeat and Repeat were walking down the street, Repeat fell in the Gutter! who was Left! REPEAT
Time to move on! I Love Ya Man!

Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You said: "If there is sin in that, then I repent"
Wouldn't repentance involve turning away from the sin, and not going to any more graduations? You still celebrate Christmas, which you think is sinful.

I can hear what you are saying here...but I think that is covered within- 1 Cor 10:23 " All things are lawful for me, but not all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not."

@liafailrock Mentioned his wife and family. I believe he is being very wise here. ( He already mentioned the story of Naaman kneeling on a bucket of earth from the promised land to pray...and going into the house of Baal as the right hand of the king of Syria." Let not the Lord be angry" )

He is fulfilling "Loving his wife" as God told him to...the believing husband sanctifies the wife...1 Cor 7:14

I think how he handles all the celebrations is commendable and very wise and loving. God sees the motivation of our hearts. :)

blessings...H

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right! I take strength in this passage when people try to judge me for keeping the feasts. He was saying to those who keep them not to let other tell them the manner of doing so. In like manner pertaining to non-biblical feasts Paul also said,

But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.`

Now if you look at all my comments carefully, you see that I am basically bashing Christmas to which you cited a verse totally out of context about twisting what Paul said to one's destruction. Indeed, I cite what Paul said in the above verse. I don't know how you associate my bashing of a pagan holiday with twisting scripture.

As for graduations and b-days, yeah, I participate, but outwardly. I think they are hokey. Nobody told me not to, but there's a "pomp and circumstance" about them that elevates pride and inwardly I think its corny. Of course I am proud when my sons graduated and became engineers, ceremonies aside, which I hated the crowds and show, but one should do that in the context of what God gave to them and not as the world celebrates that. If there is sin in that, then I repent.

Now.... back to the question at hand.
Ummmm, I didn't judge you regarding feasts. YOU judged ME.
As for the vers from Galatians 4 that you posted - you took it OUT of context.

Paul isn't chiding the Galatians for celebrations that are outside of Scripture. He is talking about celebration of PAGAN gods.

And there is NO sin in celebrating your sons' graduations.
ONLY a Literalist would make that blunder . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repeat and Repeat were walking down the street, Repeat fell in the Gutter! who was Left! REPEAT
Time to move on! I Love Ya Man!
And, AGAIN, you won't answer the question.
Protestants have a very difficult time with this question because it calls into question your rebellion against the Church.

Thanks for illustrating this perfectly . . .

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
struck me more like he was overlooking the matter, not really celebrating it

I agree , that is how I read it too. "IF" there is sin, I repent...

We were both posting on this at the same time...but I think I said it better than you did. :D

Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And, AGAIN, you won't answer the question.
Protestants have a very difficult time with this question because it calls into question your rebellion against the Church.

. . .

So, I guess you can't believe that God could speak to some to join the Catholic church, and some of us told otherwise.
I guess that is your belief in what you have been taught only the Catholic church has all truth?

I believe God can and does speak to us each as a Father to His children and leads us all individually.
Bless you...Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, I guess you can't believe that God could speak to some to join the Catholic church, and some of us told otherwise.
I guess that is your belief in what you have been taught only the Catholic church has all truth?

I believe God can and does speak to us each as a Father to His children and leads us all individually.
Bless you...Helen
No, I just don't understand how anybody could reject the Authority of the Catholic Church - EXCEPT for when it comes to Sacred Scripture.
How is it that the Catholic Church has the Authority to declare what is Scripture and what it not - yet has NO Authority in all other aspects of Christianity?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all because although they are disjointed and perpetually-splintering - they share a unity in their rebellion against the Catholic Church, which is the fullness of truth (Eph. 1:22-23).

The word you are trying to force on Protestantism is ‘similarity’, which is different than unity

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word you are trying to force on Protestantism is ‘similarity’, which is different than unity
No - it's unity.

I often hear Protestants talking about "the Church" meaning ALL Protestant denominations. Many of them exclude the Catholic Church from that group.

That's unity in rebellion.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets correct this ,standing against the "catholic church", its not "the" church its just one of many....
No -it's the ONE Church established by Christ.
He didn't build tens of thousands of perpetually-splintering churches,

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No - it's unity.

I often hear Protestants talking about "the Church" meaning ALL Protestant denominations. Many of them exclude the Catholic Church from that group.

That's unity in rebellion.

Not this protestant. :)
I have so many time said that we are all ONE.
Not all one... in level of understanding. Not all one in the level of commitment.
But one in the blood of the Lamb.
Not all one in level of rewards and giftings...but one in respect of "in the family" of God.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No -it's the ONE Church established by Christ.
He didn't build tens of thousands of perpetually-splintering churches,
You keep saying, wont change the facts. It is the catholic church is it not.... Ever noticed, Jesus isnt a catholic, or a protestant. He is just Jesus.

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Idolatry isn't: giving to the Lord what is truly ordained for Him- images, trees all creation shall shout in praise of Him. So, outside of doing this for Him is idolatry. Scripture shows us the fullness of deity is Christ.
Alive in Christ
…8See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. 9For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity dwells in bodily form. 10And you have been made complete in Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.…
In Christ-we create for Christ: through art and celebratory festivities which give glory and worship of Him. No idolatry in that, therefore no sin.
Idolatry can also be oneself. When people prefer mans precepts over God's. Like many people I have encountered here. They love the doctrines of men and therefore give themselves to the idol worship of men. This is what offends God.