What does the bible say happens when you die

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you saying that only those who go to heaven will be in paradise sir?
When Jesus speaks of being the shepherd and his followers the sheep, do we think that we are literally sheep? We know he speaks in metaphor.
When Jesus speaks of springs of living water that will flow out of those who believe in him, do we expect some special water to come out of believers from somewhere?....and while we are at it, what does he mean re this anyway?

Why not consider the River of Life, Paradise and the Throne of God spoken of in Revelation 22 as metaphor, just as we know the many parables, stories and simile's are metaphor?

Taking this angle into consideration, wouldn't it be consistent with Jesus saying, 'eye has not seen, nor has ear heard, nor has entered into the mind of man the things that God has prepared for those who love him'?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To answer that question, one need only ask "where is God's throne?"

Because the Tree of Life is in the midst of Paradise and stands above the River of Life which flows out of the Throne of God.
I understand your thoughts sir, and that is referring to heaven, however what is the tree of life, do you believe it is a literal tree?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus speaks of being the shepherd and his followers the sheep, do we think that we are literally sheep? We know he speaks in metaphor.
When Jesus speaks of springs of living water that will flow out of those who believe in him, do we expect some special water to come out of believers from somewhere?....and while we are at it, what does he mean re this anyway?

Why not consider the River of Life, Paradise and the Throne of God spoken of in Revelation 22 as metaphor, just as we know the many parables, stories and simile's are metaphor?

Taking this angle into consideration, wouldn't it be consistent with Jesus saying, 'eye has not seen, nor has ear heard, nor has entered into the mind of man the things that God has prepared for those who love him'?
Do you think the Christians that inherit the earth will be in paradise as well Thinkr?

Let me point out to you that the criminal that Jesus said that to did not have holy spirit poured out on him, therefore he was not born again, so he will not reside in heaven. Only spirit anointed Christians, those called to be saints inherit the heavenly Kingdom. The rest of us will inherit the earth and reside on it forever Ps 37:29. The criminal who died alongside Jesus will be one who inherits the earth.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Subject heading:- What does the bible say happens when you die?

'All go unto one place;
all are of the dust,
and all turn to dust again.'

(Ecc. 3:20)

'Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was:
and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.'

(Ecc. 12:7)

'And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and man became a living soul.'

(Gen. 2:7)

'Behold, all souls are mine;
as the soul of the father,
so also the soul of the son is mine:
the soul that sinneth, it shall die.'

(Eze 18:4)

'Wherefore, as by one man
sin entered into the world, and death by sin;
and so death passed upon all men,
for that all have sinned:'

(Rom 5:12)

'Jesus said unto her,
I am the resurrection, and the life:
he that believeth in me,
though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth
and believeth in me
shall never die.
Believest thou this?

(Joh 11:25-26)

* Those who are alive and remain at His coming (1 Thess. 4:15-17), will never die: for they will be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye: mortality with put on immortality; corruption put on in-corruption (1 Cor.15:52-53); and they will rise to be with the Lord, along with those who have been raised from the dead. Without the power of the Resurrection there would be no life from the dead.

'For the wages of sin is death;
but the gift of God is eternal life
through Jesus Christ our Lord.'

(Rom 6:23)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand your thoughts sir, and that is referring to heaven, however what is the tree of life, do you believe it is a literal tree?
Absolutely. I believe the Tree is as literal as the gates to the city, New Jerusalem, through which we enter to partake of it. Isaiah says once a month, we're going to gather by the Tree and eat of it.

Reactions: charity

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The question of what happens after death can be confusing
horse puckey, wadr
No one knows where they go when they die
For unbelievers after death means eternal punishment in hell – Luke 16:22-23.
ya, ima be nice and say "almost surely not, you are relying on a parable meant to impart a diff lesson, that every single noob ever runs to, while ignoring much other Scripture"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Oh no, that might be too complicated! .....I need to close my eyes......what about all my insightful, although be it convoluted theology about who goes where and when and how; which has taken me years to work out? ....are you gonna scrap it in a single verse?
right? i mean, it isnt a puzzle; only believers dont wanna hear it!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "story" of the rich man and Lazarus, is not about paradise sir.
You are obviously in denial of the clear words by Lord Jesus Christ according to Apostle Luke in Luke 16, so no need for me to continue this conversation with you.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You are obviously in denial of the clear words by Lord Jesus Christ according to Apostle Luke in Luke 16, so no need for me to continue this conversation with you.
then all you would have to do to verify would Quote a Witness, right
one single one

...and you and your sons will be here with me
All go to the same place
There is only One Immortal...
No one has ever gone up to heaven but He Who came down from it...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
ZklEShq.png
The question of what happens after death can be confusing. The Bible does not explicitly state a person's fate as they approach their eternal end. The Bible tells us about the moment after death people are taken to heaven or to hell on the basis of their faith in Jesus Christ as their Savior. As for the children of God, after death they are no longer present in the body but are with the Lord: “Therefore we are always full of confidence, and know that while we are in this body we are far from God because We walk by faith, not by sight. Therefore, I say, we, full of confidence, would rather leave this body and be with the Lord" - 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

For unbelievers after death means eternal punishment in hell – Luke 16:22-23.

This is a place where it can be confusing to know what will happen after death. Revelation 20:11-15 describes all those in hell being thrown into the lake of fire: “Then I saw a great white throne with Him sitting on it. Heaven and earth have all fled before Him, and there is no place for them to be found. I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book, the book of life, was also opened. The dead are judged according to their works, according to what is written in those books. The sea handed over the dead it contained; Death and Hades also hand over the dead they keep. Each person will be judged according to the work he has done. Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Anyone whose name is not written in the book of life is thrown into the lake of fire.”

Revelation 21-22 describes a new heaven and a new earth. That place seems to be the place of the last resurrection so that after death people are given temporary shelter in heaven or hell. Man's eternal destiny will not change but the exact place of man's eternal destiny will change. At a special time after death, God's children will be taken to a new heaven and a new earth. “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth have passed away, and the sea is no more” – Revelation 21:1. At a particular time after death, the unbeliever will be cast into the lake of fire – Revelation 20:11-15. This is the final, eternal destiny of all people based on the totality of what people believe in Jesus Christ's only salvation for their sins.

If you want to believe in Jesus as your Savior, and receive salvation from God, this is a prayer you can say to God things like these: “Lord, I know that I have the sin of rebellion. It would help if you had been punished, but Jesus took the punishment for me so that in faith in Jesus I am forgiven. I renounce my sins and put my trust in Your salvation. Thank God for His extraordinary grace and forgiveness. Amen! (Saying these or other prayers will not save you. Only by believing in Jesus will you be forgiven. This prayer is a simple way to express your faith to others.) God and thank Him for the forgiveness of sins.)

If you sincerely say the above prayer to Jesus. Then you are called by God Himself as His child “But whoever received Him, even believing in His name, He gave the right to become children of God – John 1:12. God will also do many amazing things in your life since you invited Him to be the Master of your life.
where’d ya go? When you say you know stuff and someone calls you out, you could at least grow a pair and man up eh. Dint i suggest some Cult of Sol in your woodpile last time we did this? Nicely? To abs no reply whatever?

Bc you are a liar too, ok
have a nice life

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you think the Christians that inherit the earth will be in paradise as well Thinkr?

Let me point out to you that the criminal that Jesus said that to did not have holy spirit poured out on him, therefore he was not born again, so he will not reside in heaven. Only spirit anointed Christians, those called to be saints inherit the heavenly Kingdom. The rest of us will inherit the earth and reside on it forever Ps 37:29. The criminal who died alongside Jesus will be one who inherits the earth.
Jesus said we will inherit the Earth. I believe that. The Earth was created for us and will be recreated for us. This Earth will be our home.
That said, I don't see any reason why we will not visit the dwelling place(s) of angels or other inhabitants of God's creation. Could we be 'ambassadors' for God's Kingdom to unfallen Worlds? After all, we are the only ones of God's creation that have been subject to death and all its woes. We are the creation made in God's image and we are the creation that the Son of God identified with.....he is our brother.

I think words like 'heaven', 'paradise', 'kingdom of God' are contextual and at times interchangeable. I don't find it necessary to say 'this person will go here and that one will go there including the thief Jesus gave his wonderful assurance to.

Now, again, regarding this man strung up beside Jesus. The fact that he reached out to Jesus is evidence of the Spirit working on his heart as it does on all men's hearts. Jesus' Spirit brings the dead to life. It pierces the portals of the tomb both physically and spiritually. The question is, are the spiritually dead willing to hear?......one thief heard, the other one didn't...... and on the thief which heard I would be very reluctant to superimpose my theology of the Holy Spirit, of born again and about his inheritance.....that is not my part. In any case, I wanna hear his story when we meet. :)

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Now one more time, if you put these in Eschatology with the other misguided individuals where it belongs, i have a long-standing agreement—with the old mngmt anyway—of not going in there, and i would renew my request to remove the subforum from “new posts,” but really whatevs at this point to me

Yall gotta know every other Whore’sons forum that claims to be “Christian” will just lick this crap up, right?
Why dont you Dead People just go there and talk about “tomorrow” to your heart’s content?
I came that you might have life, more abundantly
not sure what your god satan says, ill go look

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely. I believe the Tree is as literal as the gates to the city, New Jerusalem, through which we enter to partake of it. Isaiah says once a month, we're going to gather by the Tree and eat of it.
Jesus promises the conquering Christian that He will grant him to eat of “the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.” (Re 2:7) Again, in the last verses of the book of Revelation, we read: “And if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things which are written about in this scroll.” (Re 22:19) In the context of these two Scripture texts, Christ Jesus is speaking to those who are conquerors, who will not “be harmed by the second death” (Re 2:11), who will be given “authority over the nations” (Re 2:26), who will be made a “pillar in the temple of my God” (Re 3:12), and who will sit down with Christ in his heavenly throne. (Re 3:21) Therefore the tree or trees could not be literal, for conquerors who eat are those who are partakers of the heavenly calling (Heb 3:1), with places in heaven reserved for them. (Joh 14:2, 3; 2Pe 1:3, 4)They were given immortality upon their resurrection 1 Cor 15:42-54, thus needing no literal tree of life. The tree(s) would therefore be symbolic of God’s provision for sustained life, in this case, the heavenly, immortal life that the faithful ones are given as conquerors with Christ.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did say those words for a reason Davy, and since you recognize he did say them, and they are recorded for us in the Bible, I believe the meaning is important as well. Always here for you sir if you decide to discuss it further in the future.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said we will inherit the Earth. I believe that. The Earth was created for us and will be recreated for us. This Earth will be our home.
That said, I don't see any reason why we will not visit the dwelling place(s) of angels or other inhabitants of God's creation. Could we be 'ambassadors' for God's Kingdom to unfallen Worlds? After all, we are the only ones of God's creation that have been subject to death and all its woes. We are the creation made in God's image and we are the creation that the Son of God identified with.....he is our brother.

I think words like 'heaven', 'paradise', 'kingdom of God' are contextual and at times interchangeable. I don't find it necessary to say 'this person will go here and that one will go there including the thief Jesus gave his wonderful assurance to.

Now, again, regarding this man strung up beside Jesus. The fact that he reached out to Jesus is evidence of the Spirit working on his heart as it does on all men's hearts. Jesus' Spirit brings the dead to life. It pierces the portals of the tomb both physically and spiritually. The question is, are the spiritually dead willing to hear?......one thief heard, the other one didn't...... and on the thief which heard I would be very reluctant to superimpose my theology of the Holy Spirit, of born again and about his inheritance.....that is not my part. In any case, I wanna hear his story when we meet. :)
The earth abideth forever Thinkr Ecc 1:4, it will not be recreated, remember the world was destroyed before, and Jesus compared the upcoming destruction to that flood, it is the same, the Bible states when Jesus comes back it is to remove satan, the demons, and those who follow him from the earth. That is what is called the battle of Armageddon.

You are very well correct about those titles that are interchangeable, obviously now that satan has been cast from heaven, it is a paradise to the superlative degree. Soon like you stated, the earth too will become what God intended it to be, a paradise. We long for and pray for that event to come.

There is a reason why some are spiritually dead as you again said, yes they simply refuse to hear.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus promises the conquering Christian that He will grant him to eat of “the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.” (Re 2:7) Again, in the last verses of the book of Revelation, we read: “And if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things which are written about in this scroll.” (Re 22:19) In the context of these two Scripture texts, Christ Jesus is speaking to those who are conquerors, who will not “be harmed by the second death” (Re 2:11), who will be given “authority over the nations” (Re 2:26), who will be made a “pillar in the temple of my God” (Re 3:12), and who will sit down with Christ in his heavenly throne. (Re 3:21)
Conditional promises, one and all: God says impenitent sin gets your name blotted from the Book of Life, and thus barred from the Tree of Life.
Therefore the tree or trees could not be literal, for conquerors who eat are those who are partakers of the heavenly calling (Heb 3:1), with places in heaven reserved for them. (Joh 14:2, 3; 2Pe 1:3, 4)They were given immortality upon their resurrection 1 Cor 15:42-54, thus needing no literal tree of life. The tree(s) would therefore be symbolic of God’s provision for sustained life, in this case, the heavenly, immortal life that the faithful ones are given as conquerors with Christ.
Salvation is conditional - on condition that we "abide in the Vine". Those who cease from abiding in Christ forfeit salvation and wind up in hell.

Likewise, immortality is conditional - on condition that we eat of the Tree of Life, from which Adam and Eve were denied lest they "eat and live forever".

When Moses asked God to blot out his name from the Book of Life, didn't God say those who get their name blotted out are those who impenitently sin?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did say those words for a reason Davy, and since you recognize he did say them, and they are recorded for us in the Bible, I believe the meaning is important as well. Always here for you sir if you decide to discuss it further in the future.
I do not believe what you say is to be taken seriously. Out of one side of your mouth you claim Jesus gave the story of Lazarus and the rich man in Luke 16 for a reason, and out of the other side of your mouth you DENY those parameters... in the story as actual. Even when someone gives a story or analogy they most often use objects that actually exist. That is how you are denying that Luke 16 Scripture. So good luck on that deception.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Lazarus is the Greek way to say Eleazer fwiw
also kinda funny that it’s “The Rich Man and Lazarus,” rather than the way one would norm say it
huh?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Conditional promises, one and all: God says impenitent sin gets your name blotted from the Book of Life, and thus barred from the Tree of Life.

Salvation is conditional - on condition that we "abide in the Vine". Those who cease from abiding in Christ forfeit salvation and wind up in hell.

Likewise, immortality is conditional - on condition that we eat of the Tree of Life, from which Adam and Eve were denied lest they "eat and live forever".

When Moses asked God to blot out his name from the Book of Life, didn't God say those who get their name blotted out are those who impenitently sin?
I fully agree Pman, salvation is conditional, and always has been. We have been subject to God's laws since the creation of Adam.

Reactions: Phoneman777