What does the bible say happens when you die

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't matter if Jesus was giving that as a 'story' or not. And that's what it is, a 'story', and not a parable. A parable instead is a mystery that contains another meaning. Jesus used that story to show what actually happens after death to our spirit with soul; it goes to Paradise, to one of the two sides. And He was revealing that to show how each soul has a choice as to which side they wind up on based on how they conducted their life.

(That Luke 16 example even uses the idea of a 'touchstone' for the rich man not having measured up. A touchstone is a stone used to measure the gold content in a stone. The gold stone is scraped on the touchstone, and the touchstone reveals the amount of gold content. So you could call that part a parable, but it's actually just an analogy.)

Luke 23:42-43
42 And he said unto Jesus, "Lord, remember me when Thou comest into Thy kingdom."
43 And Jesus said unto him, "Verily I say unto thee,
To day shalt thou be with Me in paradise."
KJV

The unbelievers often try to manipulate against what Jesus said in the above about the malefactor crucified with Him being with Him in Paradise when they died. Yet Lord Jesus showed clearly that we go to Paradise at flesh death.
Yes sir, some do in fact, actually what is the paradise Jesus was talking about Davy?

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't some nursery school for toddlers here. So questions like that simply cannot be answered by opinion, but only by The Scriptures. So what does God's Word say about all that, because God's Word does... answer that?

Yup I know..:)
The scriptures clearly say we die and go into a "sleep", then we get a wake up call on judgement day and permanently go straight to heaven or hell, with none of that "purgatory" claptrap that suggests hell has a swing door to let people out after serving their sentence as if hell is an Alcatraz or Shawshank..:)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The scriptures clearly say we die and go into a "sleep", then we get a wake up call on judgement day and permanently go straight to heaven or hell...
This is incorrect. Upon death, the spirit and soul either do directly to Heaven (if believers) or directly to Hades (if non-believers). And of course there is no Purgatory.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir, some do in fact, actually what is the paradise Jesus was talking about Davy?
I'm not a Catholic, so I don't believe in purgatory, if that's what you're asking.

Paradise is what Lord Jesus was showing in Luke 16 with the story of Lazarus and the rich man. It of course is a place in the heavenly dimension; one side is the abode of the wicked called hell (or haides), and on the other side of the great fixed gulf is where the dead saints are, symbolically in Abraham's bosom, because Abraham's Faith is the same Faith we have believed according to Apostle Paul in Galatians 3. Thus all believers on Jesus Christ have become the children of Abraham, per Apostle Paul also. Per Peter in 1 Peter 3 and 1 Peter 4, the "spirits in prison" were the dead that went to the side of hell back before Jesus died on the cross. Jesus preached The Gospel to them Peter said, and thus the Isaiah 42:7 prophecy of leading the prisoners out of darkness of the prison house. Peter said The Gospel was preached to the 'dead' so they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup I know..:)
The scriptures clearly say we die and go into a "sleep", then we get a wake up call on judgement day and permanently go straight to heaven or hell, with none of that "purgatory" claptrap that suggests hell has a swing door to let people out after serving their sentence as if hell is an Alcatraz or Shawshank..:)
The Scriptures reveal when we die our flesh goes back to the earthly elements where it came from, but our spirit goes back to God Who gave it. And that 'spirit' does not simply mean some force that all living things have, because in Matthew 10:28 Jesus showed our 'soul' continues on after death of our flesh body.

What you are believing is an old Jewish superstition with thinking our 'soul' and spirit is part of flesh when it is not, clearly as Ecclesiastes 12:5-7 even reveals. The idea of being 'asleep' is a symbolic metaphor for only having died in the flesh, with our spirit-soul still continuing to live. Proof?

1 Peter 3 and 1 Peter 4 which I mentioned in another post.

1 Peter 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
KJV

1 Peter 4:5-6
5 Who shall give account to Him That is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For, for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
KJV

There is no way that above could happen if the spirit-soul of those who had died prior to Christ's resurrection were not aware in the heavenly dimension. And just to show how ignorant and backward some folk's thinking is, they will 'try'... and say those "spirits in prison" were about Jesus preaching The Gospel to demon spirits just to proclaim His victory to them to their face. No, those "spirits in prison" were about flesh men that had died and were in the heavenly prison house.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is incorrect. Upon death, the spirit and soul either do directly to Heaven (if believers) or directly to Hades (if non-believers). And of course there is no Purgatory.

I know, that's what I said, and it's satanic for anybody to suggest that it's possible for people to get out of hell..:)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a Catholic, so I don't believe in purgatory, if that's what you're asking.

Paradise is what Lord Jesus was showing in Luke 16 with the story of Lazarus and the rich man. It of course is a place in the heavenly dimension; one side is the abode of the wicked called hell (or haides), and on the other side of the great fixed gulf is where the dead saints are, symbolically in Abraham's bosom, because Abraham's Faith is the same Faith we have believed according to Apostle Paul in Galatians 3. Thus all believers on Jesus Christ have become the children of Abraham, per Apostle Paul also. Per Peter in 1 Peter 3 and 1 Peter 4, the "spirits in prison" were the dead that went to the side of hell back before Jesus died on the cross. Jesus preached The Gospel to them Peter said, and thus the Isaiah 42:7 prophecy of leading the prisoners out of darkness of the prison house. Peter said The Gospel was preached to the 'dead' so they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
The "story" of the rich man and Lazarus, is not about paradise sir. Since you really did not want to discuss it, no need to mention it with the promise Jesus made to the criminal. The coming Kingdom is the paradise Jesus was referring to, remember the Garden of Eden was paradise, and God's intent was that they became fruitful and multiplied, and thus spreading that paradise to the ends of the earth until they filled it Davy. God does not change, and that is our message today, that Kingdom is coming, and it is near at the doors.

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes you call either Heaven or Hell "temporary shelter"? As a matter of fact entry into either Heaven or Hell is permanent and eternal. It is either eternal life or eternal damnation.
Yes, the Bible can be confusing. However, with careful and consistent examination/study it does become clearer. Make this a petition in your prayers.

Consider these scriptures about the dead:Genesis 3:19; Job 7:9, 10; 10:9; 14:10-15; psalms 6:5; 115:17; 146:3, 4; Ecclesiastics 3:19, 20; 9:5, 6 10; Jeremiah 51:57; Romans 6:7, 23.

Luke 16: 22, 23 is a parable. Consider 1 Corinthians 15:20. How could the "beggar" precede Christ?

New heaven and earth are referring to new government and people.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absent the body, present with the Lord.
Yes, Paul's desire was to be absent from his mortal body, SKIP lying "naked" and "unclothed" in the grave a dead man awaiting the resurrection, and just go on to be with Jesus - but he knew that wouldn't happen at death, but when "we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ" in the Judgment at the end of time.

Everyday, I wanna be absent from the workcenter and present in my easy chair at home...and SKIP the drive home fighting traffic.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "story" of the rich man and Lazarus, is not about paradise sir. Since you really did not want to discuss it, no need to mention it with the promise Jesus made to the criminal. The coming Kingdom is the paradise Jesus was referring to, remember the Garden of Eden was paradise, and God's intent was that they became fruitful and multiplied, and thus spreading that paradise to the ends of the earth until they filled it Davy. God does not change, and that is our message today, that Kingdom is coming, and it is near at the doors.
I told a member that Paradise is up, not down, which is explicitly taught in Scripture. He said Paradise is not static and at the time of Jesus' death was in "hell".

I feel so sorry for the guy.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't matter if Jesus was giving that as a 'story' or not. And that's what it is, a 'story', and not a parable. A parable instead is a mystery that contains another meaning. Jesus used that story to show what actually happens after death to our spirit with soul; it goes to Paradise, to one of the two sides. And He was revealing that to show how each soul has a choice as to which side they wind up on based on how they conducted their life.

(That Luke 16 example even uses the idea of a 'touchstone' for the rich man not having measured up. A touchstone is a stone used to measure the gold content in a stone. The gold stone is scraped on the touchstone, and the touchstone reveals the amount of gold content. So you could call that part a parable, but it's actually just an analogy.)

Luke 23:42-43
42 And he said unto Jesus, "Lord, remember me when Thou comest into Thy kingdom."
43 And Jesus said unto him, "Verily I say unto thee,
To day shalt thou be with Me in paradise."
KJV

The unbelievers often try to manipulate against what Jesus said in the above about the malefactor crucified with Him being with Him in Paradise when they died. Yet Lord Jesus showed clearly that we go to Paradise at flesh death.
Yes, Abraham's bosom is several miles wide to accommodate the residence of all the saints who've ever died, right? :jest:

Wait, "Abraham's Bosom" is a symbol that just be interpreted? In a "literal" story about what happens when we die?

Awesome how you've shifted the criteria which identifies a passage as parabolic to show it's anything but.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Newsome thinks haivng money in the bank is causing climate change
Speaking of the climate change agenda , they are just pumping fear into folks so they can get total power and control
Fear destroys reasoning , and they KNOW this . These BBB and elites dont care one ounce about the people
Yet through fear they act as though they have the solution and have come to save the world .
And the thing is , LOTS OF FOLKS BUY THIS . as i said fear destroys reasoning .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking of the climate change agenda , they are just pumping fear into folks so they can get total power and control
Fear destroys reasoning , and they KNOW this . These BBB and elites dont care one ounce about the people
Yet through fear they act as though they have the solution and have come to save the world .
And the thing is , LOTS OF FOLKS BUY THIS . as i said fear destroys reasoning .
We are meant to be perpetually afraid. Fear is how these elites keep the people in line. That's what Obama's buddy Eric Holder meant when he said, "Never let a good crisis go to waste". How demented and evil such a philosophy is.

Don't worry, it's going to get much worse.

The Luciferians who run the world have already told what's coming: "...and the multitudes disillusioned with Christianity (after finding themselves neck deep in the very tribulation from which the "secret rapture" was supposed to spare them) whose spirits will be from that moment without direction and leadership and anxious for an ideal (as they try to figure out what to do next), but without knowledge where to send its adoration, will receive the true light through the universal manifestation of the pure doctrine of Lucifer brought finally out into public view."

Public view...which means it's at the present behind the scenes...in the political world, the entertainment world, and most prominently in the religious world.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I told a member that Paradise is up, not down, which is explicitly taught in Scripture. He said Paradise is not static and at the time of Jesus' death was in "hell".

I feel so sorry for the guy.
Why? He was very close to the truth correct? Jesus did go to hell, as does everyone when they die. People get resurrected from it as did Jesus on the third day after his death. The Kingdom is the paradise Jesus referred to that the criminal would have a part in, and it has not yet come sir. Heaven is paradise I agree, although the Bible does not refer to it as such. Paradise is a Biblical term referring to the earth Pman, and we have all prayed for it to come when we have prayed the Lord's prayer. It has not yet came here yet, but we are getting very close. Review Ps 16:10 and Acts 2:31 sir, and then you might commend him for knowing that.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why? He was very close to the truth correct? Jesus did go to hell, as does everyone when they die. People get resurrected from it as did Jesus on the third day after his death. The Kingdom is the paradise Jesus referred to that the criminal would have a part in, and it has not yet come sir. Heaven is paradise I agree, although the Bible does not refer to it as such. Paradise is a Biblical term referring to the earth Pman, and we have all prayed for it to come when we have prayed the Lord's prayer. It has not yet came here yet, but we are getting very close. Review Ps 16:10 and Acts 2:31 sir, and then you might commend him for knowing that.
No, he wasn't close at all. Paradise was, is, and always will be up, friend. We know this by comparing Scripture:
In the midst of Paradise stands the Tree of Life (Revelation 2:7 KJV) which is rooted in both banks of the River of Life (Revelation 22:2 KJV) which flows from the Throne of God (Revelation 22:1 KJV) which even a fool knows is up in heaven - not down in hell. Also, Paul was caught up to Paradise (2 Corinthians 12:4 KJV).

People try to put Paradise down in hell because of that pesky, uninspired comma that was added by the translators in Luke 22:43 KJV. They read it with the comma placed before "today" as "I say unto you, today you will be with Me in Paradise" and compare that with "His soul not left in hell" and wrongly conclude, "Paradise must be in hell". If only they'd rely on inspired Scripture instead of uninspired commas, they'd know the text can easily be read as a promise given that day which would be fulfilled when Jesus comes "into His kingdom" when the saints are resurrected at His Second Coming:

"I say unto you today, you will be with Me in Paradise". In other words, "I promise you this day while hanging here looking as though I can't even save Myself, you will be with Me in Paradise when I raise you up in the last day".

So much unnecessary controversy, but the Immortal Soul/Eternal Torment crowd and their Religion of Exclusivity will not allow them to have it any other way.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, he wasn't close at all. Paradise was, is, and always will be up, friend. We know this by comparing Scripture:
In the midst of Paradise stands the Tree of Life (Revelation 2:7 KJV) which is rooted in both banks of the River of Life (Revelation 22:2 KJV) which flows from the Throne of God (Revelation 22:1 KJV) which even a fool knows is up in heaven - not down in hell. Also, Paul was caught up to Paradise (2 Corinthians 12:4 KJV).

People try to put Paradise down in hell because of that pesky, uninspired comma that was added by the translators in Luke 22:43 KJV. They read it with the comma placed before "today" as "I say unto you, today you will be with Me in Paradise" and compare that with "His soul not left in hell" and wrongly conclude, "Paradise must be in hell". If only they'd rely on inspired Scripture instead of uninspired commas, they'd know the text can easily be read as a promise given that day which would be fulfilled when Jesus comes "into His kingdom" when the saints are resurrected at His Second Coming:

"I say unto you today, you will be with Me in Paradise". In other words, "I promise you this day while hanging here looking as though I can't even save Myself, you will be with Me in Paradise when I raise you up in the last day".

So much unnecessary controversy, but the Immortal Soul/Eternal Torment crowd and their Religion of Exclusivity will not allow them to have it any other way.
Are you saying that only those who go to heaven will be in paradise sir?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that only those who go to heaven will be in paradise sir?
To answer that question, one need only ask "where is God's throne?"

Because the Tree of Life is in the midst of Paradise and stands above the River of Life which flows out of the Throne of God.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Absent the body, present with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:8.
We are confident, I say,
And willing rather
To be absent from the body,
And to be present with the Lord.'

To be absent from the body and present with the Lord requires His coming, and the change from mortality into immortality which will take place in those who are alive and remain at His coming, for corruption must put on incorruption. This 'earthly house' (2 Corinthians 5:1-3) must be replaced by 'our house which is from heaven'. Only then can we be 'present' with the Lord. Only the power of the resurrection can achieve this.

The whole context needs to be read, before quoting any verse of Scripture.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: MatthewG