What else can the Spirit do for us... Did you know this?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray

for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh

intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
KJV
1 Cor 14:3
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
KJV

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
afaithfulone4u said:
Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray

for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh

intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
KJV

1 Cor 14:3
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
KJV

Romans 8:26-27 (NIV): "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God."

Romans 8:26-27 (ESV): "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God."

The weakness that Paul mentions in Romans 8:26-27 is our inability to know what we ought to pray.

1 Corinthians 14:2 (NIV): "For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit."

1 Corinthians 14:2 (ESV): "For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit."

For what it is worth, the Greek for "unknown" does not appear in the Greek manuscripts in 1 Corinthians 14:2.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Greetings Dodo_David,

My OP is asking if we understand that when we don't know what to pray for, did we know that the Holy Spirit does and our prayer language allows the Spirit to speak for us? For praying in the Spirit allows us to speak mysteries unto God on our behalf.

It probably means, unknown to us which is correct : )

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Yes I knew. After my divorce from a very evil man, I woke up one night speaking in tongues. The Holy Spirit also allowed me to interpret.
I didn't even know I was suppose to be praying concerning a specific aspect of it all. But God knew, and interceded. :wub:

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
afaithfulone4u said:
Greetings Dodo_David,

My OP is asking if we understand that when we don't know what to pray for, did we know that the Holy Spirit does and our prayer language allows the Spirit to speak for us? For praying in the Spirit allows us to speak mysteries unto God on our behalf.

It probably means, unknown to us which is correct : )

What Paul says in Romans 8:26-27 pertains to all who are saved.

What Paul says in 1 Corinthians 14:2 pertains only to those believers who have been given the gift of tongues.

In 1 Corinthians 12:29-30, Paul explains that the Holy Spirit does not give the gift of tongues to every believer.

Anyway, Paul's message in Romans 8:26-27 is one that I frequently share with others.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I remember when the Lord Jesus filled me with His precious Spirit and as according to my faith (Matthew 9:29) I spoke in other tongues as the Spirit gave the utterance(Acts 2:4, 10:44, 19:6). God truly changed my life and Christian walk for the better through Jesus baptizing me in His Spirit! All I can say is I've never known a person to touch a fire and they do not at least say ouch! Same with the Holy Ghost when He comes you will show some signs the main though is HOLINESS(Hebrews 12:14)! "Saved by the blood of Jesus, sanctified by the Word of Jesus, filled with the Spirit of Jesus!"

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Since the topic of this thread is Romans 8:26-27, how about we stick to that topic. A discussion about the gift of tongues belongs on a separate thread.