What happened to the angels who mated with 'daughters of man'?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thorwald said:
In the NT, we find scriptures referring to 'Christ', as the 'Christ child', the 'MAN Christ', 'the Son of Man', and so on. We know, that as Lord of Hosts [who was in Christ], He is also the only begotten Son of God. This tells me, that until we are changed after our carnal death, we are sons/daughters of Man, only. Genesis 6:2 differentiates between sons/daughters of God and sons/daughters of man.
It’s a big leap back from the NT to Genesis..

The Amplified Bible has this comment about Gen 6:2 in the footnotes:
Genesis 6:2 This phrase has been interpreted as a reference to: [a] royalty or rulers possessed by fallen angels, the descendants of Seth who called upon the Lord (see 4:26), or [c] fallen angels (cf Job 1:6).
Personally I go for

After Adam we see two lines, the line of Seth and the line of Cain.

Adam is called the son of God and is described as made after the image and likeness of God. (Gen 1:26). Seth is described as in the image and likeness of Adam (Gen 5:3). So I think it’s not too much of a strech to call Set’s line sons of God. It included godly men such as Enoch who walked with God. (Gen 5:24) and the righteous Noah who also walked with God (Gen 6:9).

Cain’s line was evil and included men such as Lamach who killed man just as Cain had done. I think the daughter’s of men were from this line.

Thorwald

Apr 7, 2011
Thunder Bay
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mungo said:

Genesis 6:2 This phrase has been interpreted as a reference to: [a] royalty or rulers possessed by fallen angels, the descendants of Seth who called upon the Lord (see 4:26), or [c] fallen angels (cf Job 1:6).
Personally I go for

Adam is called the son of God and is described as made after the image and likeness of God. (Gen 1:26). Seth is described as in the image and likeness of Adam (Gen 5:3). So I think it’s not too much of a strech to call Set’s line sons of God. It included godly men such as Enoch who walked with God. (Gen 5:24) and the righteous Noah who also walked with God (Gen 6:9).

Cain’s line was evil and included men such as Lamach who killed man just as Cain had done. I think the daughter’s of men were from this line.

Adam was created by God, directly. Eve is created by God, but is also 'begotten of Adam' (Adam's rib). After the flood, we are left with 'three' lines...the three sons of Noah and the wives of the three sons. There had to be 'mating' between immediate family members and their descendants, in order for re-population of the earth to take place. Anything after this point in time, is possible. Perhaps, the descendants of the angels mating with women, were 'killed off' early. Who knows?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thorwald said:
Adam was created by God, directly. Eve is created by God, but is also 'begotten of Adam' (Adam's rib). After the flood, we are left with 'three' lines...the three sons of Noah and the wives of the three sons. There had to be 'mating' between immediate family members and their descendants, in order for re-population of the earth to take place. Anything after this point in time, is possible. Perhaps, the descendants of the angels mating with women, were 'killed off' early. Who knows?
Are you seriously suggesting that the flood was a literal world wide event that killed everyone except Noah and his family and that earth was repolulated with creatures fron the ark?

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
:blink: This is the most conjecture riddled thread I've seen in a long time. It's kinda fun...sort of...

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:

Personally I go for

Well what you think isn't in the Bible. And what you think doesn't explain how giants and mighty men of old were born of them.

But what IS in the Bible is that the flood destroyed all flesh on the earth. Yet you don't believe that?

No explanation needed Mungo.... Don't really want to hear excuses and rubbish.

Thorwald

Apr 7, 2011
Thunder Bay
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mungo said:
There is a maxim - "That which asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Are we supposed to believe you because you say so?
Believe what you will. I have referenced what is written in the scriptures. Do you believe the Bible scriptures?????

Thorwald

Apr 7, 2011
Thunder Bay
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mungo said:
Are you seriously suggesting that the flood was a literal world wide event that killed everyone except Noah and his family and that earth was repolulated with creatures fron the ark?
If you don't believe the flood wiped out everyone on earth except the chosen 'eight', then you don't believe the Bible. This story is backed up in the NT (only eight were saved). In reference to 'animals', God is capable of ANYTHING. God made His own rules, and is perfectly capable of seeing that the earth was replenished in a way that satisfied Him. Many animals we see today, are due to 'cross-breeding'. We have to remember this. It is difficult for us to understand that it did not take as many animals in the time of Noah, to give us what is currently on this earth. To scientists, it is a basis for the theory of evolution, rather than 'creation'.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thorwald said:
Believe what you will. I have referenced what is written in the scriptures. Do you believe the Bible scriptures?????
I believe what is written in the Bible but not your wild speculations. Also Gen 6 doesn't mention angels. That is you addition. Why should I believe that?.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
I believe what is written in the Bible but not your wild speculations. Also Gen 6 doesn't mention angels. That is you addition. Why should I believe that?.
In the book of Job, it is generally agreed that the sons of god cannot be anything else but angels since they are described as existing some time before the creation of the heavens and the earth, singing in the presence of God himself as they witnessed the creation event. Job is the oldest book in the Bible, before even the first five books of Moses, and it gives a very strong indication of the known identity of the sons of god. Keeping the term "sons of god" in Genesis 6 in context, we see that neither Seth, his descendants or anyone else was ever referred to as "sons of god" in any kind of spiritual sense, nor in a physical sense minus Adam, since Adam, like the angels was a direct creation of God.

So when we are told that "men" began to multiply on the face of the earth, and that the sons of God saw the daughters of those "men" and took whoever they chose as wives, we see the human race, who are the generations of Adam as it plainly states clearly being distinguished from this other group referred to as the "sons of God". The clear cut logical meaning is that these beings were sons of God, rather than of men, or humanity. I don't see a need to claim to have interpretation of the word from the holy ghost, nor do I have to sit here and pretend to be an expert in the Hebrew language like many often do. I'm just using the brain that God gave me to put two and two together. Let reason prevail and the Bible will actually begin to make sense.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dcopymope said:
In the book of Job, it is generally agreed that the sons of god cannot be anything else but angels since they are described as existing some time before the creation of the heavens and the earth, singing in the presence of God himself as they witnessed the creation event. Job is the oldest book in the Bible, before even the first five books of Moses, and it gives a very strong indication of the known identity of the sons of god. Keeping the term "sons of god" in Genesis 6 in context, we see that neither Seth, his descendants or anyone else was ever referred to as "sons of god" in any kind of spiritual sense, nor in a physical sense minus Adam, since Adam, like the angels was a direct creation of God.

So when we are told that "men" began to multiply on the face of the earth, and that the sons of God saw the daughters of those "men" and took whoever they chose as wives, we see the human race, who are the generations of Adam as it plainly states clearly being distinguished from this other group referred to as the "sons of God". The clear cut logical meaning is that these beings were sons of God, rather than of men, or humanity. I don't see a need to claim to have interpretation of the word from the holy ghost, nor do I have to sit here and pretend to be an expert in the Hebrew language like many often do. I'm just using the brain that God gave me to put two and two together. Let reason prevail and the Bible will actually begin to make sense.
That doesn't mean that the sons of god in Gen 6 were angels.

Adam was a son of God. He wasn't an angel

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
That doesn't mean that the sons of god in Gen 6 were angels.

Adam was a son of God. He wasn't an angel
In Genesis 6, you are only left with two groups, men and the daughters who were born from those men who are of the generations of Adam, and the other group called "the sons of God" who had to get a piece of all that action who are NOT of the generations of Adam and henceforth are not men by definition. So therefore, the sons of God can only be angels, unless you want to believe they were flying spaghetti monsters.

Thorwald

Apr 7, 2011
Thunder Bay
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Dcopymope said:
In Genesis 6, you are only left with two groups, men and the daughters who were born from those men who are of the generations of Adam, and the other group called "the sons of God" who had to get a piece of all that action who are NOT of the generations of Adam and henceforth are not men by definition. So therefore, the sons of God can only be angels, unless you want to believe they were flying spaghetti monsters.
:lol: Around and around we go. Mungo doesn't get it!

Reactions: Dcopymope