What is God's "Plan" For You?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is Hell, and why do you think Sheol/Hades, and Hell refer to the same thing?

Before Christ, our "holding place" before the resurrection was in two parts. Remember the incident that Jesus told the disciples about of the rich man and Lazarus? Sheol and Hades were those two parts. When Jesus died, one of them was emptied - the righteous saints of the Old Testament. The other half became hell for the unrighteous ever since. When that last portion is emptied, all of them will be thrown into the lake of fire because their names are not written on the Book of Life. This is my reasoning from all Scripture. I would like to hear how you see it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is God's "Plan" For You?
From the phone call I received it was an invite to rule the Universe with him. What! don't believe me?

Revelation 3:21
'To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne'.

Reactions: Lambano

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
If I'm wrong, by all means you tell me what is "last."
I already told you, 1stCenturyLady, I don't understand what you are asking, and I already answered as accurately as I can what the Bible says is last.

I really don't understand why you think there must be a place of torment, when the Bible explains that everything that is to be done away with, goes in the lake of fire - gone.

That's last for the Devil; the beast; the false prophet; death; man's burial place (grave - Hades); whosoever was not found written in the book of life (Revelation 20:10-15), and 1 Corinthians 15:24-28 specifically says what's next.
then comes the end, when he [Christ] delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when he [Christ] puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. For he [Christ] must reign till he [Christ] has put all enemies under His feet. The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. For “He [God] has put all things under His [Christ's] feet.” But when He says “all things are put under Him,it is evident that He [God] who put all things under Him is excepted. Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all. - 1 Corinthians 15:24-28

So last - everyone is free of sin and death, and thus mankind is perfect, and everything is under God.
That's as clear as expressed in the Bible.
It's not about what you or anyone wants, or thinks. What do you want to be last? Hell?
The Bible, does not support such a wish.

Before Christ, our "holding place" before the resurrection was in two parts. Remember the incident that Jesus told the disciples about of the rich man and Lazarus? Sheol and Hades were those two parts. When Jesus died, one of them was emptied - the righteous saints of the Old Testament. The other half became hell for the unrighteous ever since. When that last portion is emptied, all of them will be thrown into the lake of fire because their names are not written on the Book of Life. This is my reasoning from all Scripture. I would like to hear how you see it.
Do you believe that scripture supports scripture?
Then taking one scripture, and saying what you think it means is not allowing scripture to support scripture.
Do you have a scripture to support the view you take on Luke 16:19-31?

Also, you seem to be simply repeating something someone told you... someone who doesn't even understand what they are talking about.
This is evident from the fact that Sheol is a Hebrew word, used only in the "OT". Whereas Hades is the Greek word used only in the "NT"
Both words mean the same thing, and are not separate. It's just that one was written during the time Hebrew was the common language. While the other was written when Greek was the common language.

So imagine you are in front of a Greek speaking person, and a Hebrew speaking person. If you said Sheol, the Hebrew speaking person would would understand what it meant in his language. If you said Hades the Greek speaking person would understand what you meant in his language.
If they were both multilingual - that is, they both can speak Hebrew and Greek, if you said "Sheol and Hades were those two parts", both would look at each other, then look at you, and go, "Huh??? o_O"

You see, that would be like telling a Spaniard and a Frenchman "el gato y le chat son dos partes" - "The cat and the cat are two parts". :confused:o_O
I do hope that's simple enough for you to understand.

Sheol and Hades are not two parts. No, but the same expression made in two different languages... but they mean the same thing.

So, hopefully you will inform that person of the terrible ignorance they are manifesting.
If this however, is your own thinking, then may I lovingly suggest you let someone who knows about these word usages, educate you.
I can help if you want.

I was trying to help earlier, but you didn't take me on. I'll try again... because I like you. That's not principled love owed everyone. We don't have to like everyone, but I like you.
Why, you ask? You seem like a nice person. ;)

Revelation 20:13-14
King James Bible
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

New King James Version
13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Hell is cast into the Lake of Fire, after being emptied, and the Lake of Fire is the second death, so Hell does not last forever, but is subjected to a death state - gone for good.

The New King James Version has discarded the word Hell, and use Hades... actually many translations.
Do you know why that is?
What is Sheol in the "OT", and Hades in the "NT" understood to be, from the Bible?

Jacob - a righteous man
Genesis 37:35 And all his sons and all his daughters arose to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted, and he said, “For I shall go down into the grave [Sheol] to my son in mourning.” Thus his father wept for him.
Genesis 42:38 But he said, “My son shall not go down with you, for his brother is dead, and he is left alone. If any calamity should befall him along the way in which you go, then you would bring down my gray hair with sorrow to the grave [Sheol].”
Where did Jacob expect to go at death - Sheol.
It's rendered grave in most translation, including... KJV. :eek:

Samuel - a righteous man
2 Samuel 22:5-7
“When the waves of death surrounded me, The floods of ungodliness made me afraid.
The sorrows of Sheol surrounded me; The snares of death confronted me.
In my distress I called upon the Lord, And cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, And my cry entered His ears.
Samuel is confronted with death at the hands of wicked men. What would then hold him - Sheol.

Both individuals used expressed sorrow in going there. Isn't that what is associated with dying; death? After all, who want to die be covered with earth?

David's prayer about someone.
1 Kings 2:6 Therefore do according to your wisdom, and do not let his gray hair go down to the grave [Sheol] in peace.

Job - a righteous man
Job 14:13-14
“Oh, that You would hide me in the grave [Sheol], That You would conceal me until Your wrath is past, That You would appoint me a set time, and remember me!
If a man dies, shall he live again? All the days of my hard service I will wait, Till my change comes.

This speaks for itself.
Job wants to be remembered by God, when he dies. Why? Easy. Who doesn't want to live forever? Job did, and he had faith in the resurrection.
In fact, though Job, like countless individuals who died, did not know how it would take place, he knew that it was God's will to restore the dead to life.
How would God do that if he did not remember those that died.

This is why I really like the expression used at John 5:28 - Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the [μνημεῖον memorial [tombs]] will hear His voice... and come out (verse 29)

Isn't that lovely! God remembers those who died! They are in his memory. So that Jesus tells us, they are in memorial tombs... and God will restore them to life! Isn't that wonderful!

There are many more scriptures where Sheol is used, in the "OT", alluding to the grave of mankind. Any place can become our grave (Sheol). Even the belly of a big fish.
Jonah 2:1-2
Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the fish’s belly. And he said:
“I cried out to the Lord because of my affliction,
And He answered me.
“Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
And You heard my voice.

That's according to the New King James Version.
How does the KJV render the verses?
Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly,
And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Isn't that interesting?
Why does the KJV use hell, whereas the vast majority of translation... including the New King James Version, don't.
Is it not interesting also, that Jonah was in the fish's belly, as he did not die, and go to some underworld of the dead, but understood that the fish's belly would become his grave... if God did not answer him, and forgive him.

Understanding the Bible 1stCenturyLady, is such a delight. It makes things so simple, clear, and truly exciting.
I'll cover Hades in my next post.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@1stCenturyLady Where is David? Acts 2:25-35 Was David not a righteous man, remembered by God?
Both David and Christ went the same place - Hades (Hell - KJV).

I already told you that hades/sheol/hell was divided into two sections. One for the righteous and one for the unrighteous. The Bible has called these two sections different things if you can just open your mind a little and see all scripture and not be so religious, pitting one verse against another that mean the same thing. Jesus called the good side Abraham's bosom, and also Paradise which is heaven. Paul called it the "third heaven." When Jesus died, and rose again He emptied that half of OT saints and took them whole with their new bodies to heaven. Many even saw them walking around Jerusalem for forty days at the same time Jesus had risen and before He ascended for the last time. Hades and Sheol means "a place for the dead." The spirit and soul of the righteous now go straight to heaven as their bodies wait for the resurrection.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
I already told you that hades/sheol/hell was divided into two sections. One for the righteous and one for the unrighteous. The Bible has called these two sections different things if you can just open your mind a little and see all scripture and not be so religious, pitting one verse against another that mean the same thing. Jesus called the good side Abraham's bosom, and also Paradise which is heaven. Paul called it the "third heaven." When Jesus died, and rose again He emptied that half of OT saints and took them whole with their new bodies to heaven. Many even saw them walking around Jerusalem for forty days at the same time Jesus had risen and before He ascended for the last time. Hades and Sheol means "a place for the dead." The spirit and soul of the righteous now go straight to heaven as their bodies wait for the resurrection.
You believe that. Okay. Thanks for your response. Take care.