What is impossible for God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God is Truth. Sin is not Truth.
The untrue do not know Truth. It is the untrue that perceive God to be untrue, or can sin.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP asks this ?

What is impossible for God ?

answer- God cannot sin that is an impossibility.

hope this helps !!!
Why do you say he cannot sin? Do you mean to say that he has no choice? God's will is bound by a stronger force than himself?

Is it impossible for God to lie because of "what" he is, or because of "who" he is?

How can God judge a man for falsehood if that man couldn't have done otherwise?

Why do we commend a man for telling the truth? Isn't our commendation true because that man could have lied instead?

The concept of reward and punishment is predicated on the idea that a man's will is not bound by his inherent nature. We are fully capable of telling a lie, but we choose to tell the truth. And we are commended because we could have done otherwise.

Are we greater than God?

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Are we greater than God?
An interesting question.

What do these verses mean?

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Gen 1:26-27

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

And then these?

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." John 14:12-14

Reactions: CadyandZoe

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you say he cannot sin? Do you mean to say that he has no choice? God's will is bound by a stronger force than himself?

Is it impossible for God to lie because of "what" he is, or because of "who" he is?
His attributes are: His eternality (Psalm 90:2); His immutability, or unchanging quality (James 1:17); His love (1 John 4:8); His omnipotence, or being all powerful, the Almighty One (Revelation 1:8); His omnipresence, or being everywhere present at all times (Psalm 139:7-11); His holiness, absolute purity and separation from evil (Habakkuk 1:13); His righteousness, or justice (Psalm 11:7); and His truth (Titus 1:2).

This is a brief picture of God who manifested Himself in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and the attributes, or perfections, are true for each member of the Godhead. Because God is holy, righteous and true, and He can do nothing inconsistent with Himself, we come to the conclusion that God cannot sin. Since holiness, righteousness, and God’s other perfections are who God is, if God were to sin, He would cease to be God. The fact that God is "holy, holy, holy" prevents Him from doing anything that is unholy, i.e. sinful.got?

hope this helps !!!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His attributes are: His eternality (Psalm 90:2); His immutability, or unchanging quality (James 1:17); His love (1 John 4:8); His omnipotence, or being all powerful, the Almighty One (Revelation 1:8); His omnipresence, or being everywhere present at all times (Psalm 139:7-11); His holiness, absolute purity and separation from evil (Habakkuk 1:13); His righteousness, or justice (Psalm 11:7); and His truth (Titus 1:2).

This is a brief picture of God who manifested Himself in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and the attributes, or perfections, are true for each member of the Godhead. Because God is holy, righteous and true, and He can do nothing inconsistent with Himself, we come to the conclusion that God cannot sin. Since holiness, righteousness, and God’s other perfections are who God is, if God were to sin, He would cease to be God. The fact that God is "holy, holy, holy" prevents Him from doing anything that is unholy, i.e. sinful.got?

hope this helps !!!
It might help if you answered the question more directly.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

the verse of the day made me look for your thread.
Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the verse of the day made me look for your thread.
Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Nothing is impossible for God... but then by faith... nothing is impossible for us! Are any of us then living by faith on the approach to being so much like God that nothing is impossible for us? We would not want to call Jesus a liar, would we?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is impossible for God to go against his own nature and also against his own will. If all things are possible with God it must be with in conjunction with the Holy Spirit in the believer who abides in Christ in which God works in their heart and mind being renewed to their new creation which is being born from above.

It’s impossible for God to change a person who doesn’t desire a relationship with Him, and God allows this due to freedom of Choice.

God does have a Will for none for any to perish, so I do believe God has a place set up for unbelievers and believers alike, only one resurrection may not be equipped to dwell in the heavenly kingdom with God and they are outside the Gate as John described and then there are those who are resurrected and may get to go in to the heavenly Jerusalem because of faith and love. Believing on the Son and loving God and others.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it impossible for God to forgive sin without the shedding of blood?

Hello redfan,

You ask a question is it impossible for God to forgive sin without the shedding of blood?

Jesus blood was shed once and for all sin, on earth. To me Gods wrath no longer abides on anyone.

Why do you ask this question for? Do you have a different response?

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello redfan,

You ask a question is it impossible for God to forgive sin without the shedding of blood?

Jesus blood was shed once and for all sin, on earth. To me Gods wrath no longer abides on anyone.

Why do you ask this question for? Do you have a different response?

I don't know the answer.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe I should have asked, WAS it impossible for God to forgive sin without the shedding of JESUS' blood?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you curious to know the answer for? Do you know what they did in the Old Testament to cover their sins?

The nation of Israel was under strict laws, one being the shedding of blood in an action of serving the living God, and once a year they would sacrifice bulls, goats and what not as a offering to God to have their sins forgiven.

Since Jesus came, Jesus offered his blood once and for all, there was no more need for yearly sacrifices. He also fulfilled all of those law requirement by willingly choosing to do the Fathers Will as the Son of God.

Last edited:

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm curious because if God could have forgiven sin without the crucifixion of His Son, but He chose not to, it changes the way I look at atonement.

What disabled God from forgiving the offender’s sin without having His Son nailed to the cross? Christ, we are told, paid the price for our sins―but the price owed to Whom? If it was owed to the Father, what restrained Him from simply canceling the debt?

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm curious because if God could have forgiven sin without the crucifixion of His Son, by He chose not to, it changes the way I look at atonement.

What disabled God from forgiving the offender’s sin without having His Son nailed to the cross? Christ, we are told, paid the price for our sins―but the price owed to Whom? If it was owed to the Father, what restrained Him from simply canceling the debt?
Christ didn't have to be nailed to cross in order to accomplish the Atonement. The wages of sin is death... Not crucifixion. The crucifixion part was Satan's idea, not God's. But prophecy couldn't be broken either. So it had to be. But unnecessarily so as far as our redemption is concerned.
We don't know what God's plan A was. Plan B was man's, or rather Satan's with man's help, that intervened.
It was never God's plan that Ishmael be born.
It was never God's plan that Jacob deceive his brother in order to gain the birthright.
It was never God's plan that Leah be the first wife and give birth to the eldest son, Reuben. Despite those hick ups however, God's purposes were eventually fulfilled, as He promised. The Messiah came, have His life ransom for many, rose from the dead, and was accepted by the Father for His role as Mediator and High Priest of the new covenant.
So regardless of man's attempts to accomplish God's will in his own strength and in his own depraved wisdom, God continues to reign and rule over the affairs of men, being gracious, merciful, long-suffering, and full of goodness and truth.

Reactions: BarneyFife

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm curious because if God could have forgiven sin without the crucifixion of His Son, but He chose not to, it changes the way I look at atonement.

He did cancel the debt but men don't believe it. They insist on God requiring payment because they refuse to imagine that God is that generous.

Why did Jesus die....because we killed him.....and what is even more astounding is that he allowed them to do it so that we can see the generosity and selflessness of God.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What God desires to do on earth is severely limited by our own lack of faith.
KJV John 14:12-14
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

The Lord is disappointed when His people place a low estimate upon themselves. He desires His chosen heritage to value themselves according to the price He has placed upon them. God wanted them, else He would not have sent His Son on such an expensive errand to redeem them. He has a use for them, and He is well pleased when they make the very highest demands upon Him, that they may glorify His name. They may expect large things if they have faith in His promises. {DA 668}

Reactions: L.A.M.B.