What Is Marriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Somebody has to be extremely lonely and desperate if they want to make a living by having sex. :/

Well the sin is probably greater for the male in the New Testament case 2000 years ago, to use women for sexual gratification. The woman back then might not have been able to survive otherwise and probably should have been cared for by the society government. Since they weren't allowed to work?

Reactions: April_Rose

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm,.. interesting perspective.

Whether God views it ultimately as Adultery I do not know. I do know th ebible says that the norm or standard is all to be married and that celibacy is a gift from God as well as a calling. So yes when two unamarried people have sex, she is having sex with someone else's spouse and He with another mans wife- eventually!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And homosexuality, bestiality, pedophilia and any other act of sexual sin done outside of marriage.

Now pedophiles that is something that I just don't understand. You've got to be pretty sick and messed up if you want to have illegal sex with a child. I just don't understand why people want to do that instead of going after somebody their own age when children are so innocent. :(

Well the sin is probably greater for the male in the New Testament case 2000 years ago, to use women for sexual gratification. The woman back then might not have been able to survive otherwise and probably should have been cared for by the society government. Since they weren't allowed to work?

The strange thing is that when I think of a prostitute, I automatically think of a woman for some strange reason. I know that men can probably be guilty of it too though.

Reactions: dev553344

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whether God views it ultimately as Adultery I do not know. I do know th ebible says that the norm or standard is all to be married and that celibacy is a gift from God as well as a calling. So yes when two unamarried people have sex, she is having sex with someone else's spouse and He with another mans wife- eventually!

Thankfully our own thoughts and beliefs don't matter in the end as long as we belong to Christ. :)

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marriage according to the Bible is the act of intercourse. It is not a ceremony or license or ritual where vows are given. those simply authorize a man and woman to get married! The actual marriage takes place when the couple have sex!

So fornication is sex outside of marriage and two people become one flesh which is what marriage is!
Well as I said nowhere in scripture is there evidence that Adam and Eve had sex until after they were expelled from the garden of Eden, yet Eve was said to be Adams wife, so they were married in the eyes of God before they had sex.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well as I said nowhere in scripture is there evidence that Adam and Eve had sex until after they were expelled from the garden of Eden, yet Eve was said to be Adams wife, so they were married in the eyes of God before they had sex.

Yeah, I think it starts before sex and the social contract.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Catholics are going off of Paul's teachings and feel that they don't need a spouse to be a servant of God, which Paul makes this clear, but I tend to disagree with even this scripture, I mean that would mean the end of the human species?

1 Corinthians 7:1-6

7 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command.

The thing is though is that not many men are called to be single. If a someone has a desire to be in a marriage, but also a desire to become a priest, he should be able to do both.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Christian marriage is very symbolic, just like a wife gets married to her husband, wives submit to their husbands, husbands love their wives, we the Church are the Bride of Christ, we are meant to submit to Jesus Christ, Jesus loves us.

Just like Jesus is the head of the body of Christ, the husband is the head of the earthly family.

Earthly Christian marriage is very symbolic in this way and is meant to be like a reflection the relationship between the Church and Jesus Christ.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I think it starts before sex and the social contract.
Yeah to a lot of people here in the US they don't consider them united until they had sex. But a Hebrew woman was basically considered married even though she hadn't had sex with her husband. She could be guilty of adultery if she had sex with another man even though she hadn't had sex with the man she was considered married to.

Reactions: April_Rose and Tone

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah to a lot of people here in the US they don't consider them united until they had sex. But a Hebrew woman was basically considered married even though she hadn't had sex with her husband. She could be guilty of adultery if she had sex with another man even though she hadn't had sex with the man she was considered married to.

Yeah, the man is abiding and the woman is attuned...

I've been thinking a lot about marriage lately since I believe it's the season.

I heard this while I was praying a bit earlier,

He Who Promised Is Faithful

So she will hear the sound of my voice.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
April_Rose said: I'm pretty sure that Adam and Eve didn't have a typical wedding ceremony.[/Quote\]

Well I never said that they had a typical wedding. I said that as far as what's written down in scripture you'll find nowhere in scripture that Adam and Eve had sex until after they were expelled from Eden. People who have sex before they're married is an act of sexual immorality.

Barney do me a favor.
Look in the Strong's or Lexicon for the biblical Hebrew word for wed or wedding and show it to April.
With all those important marriages in the Old Testament...even kings and prophets, would you mind showing April all the scriptures that tell of weddings in the Old Testament.
Then would you describe a Hebrew wedding ceremony?

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barney do me a favor.
Look in the Strong's or Lexicon for the biblical Hebrew word for wed or wedding and show it to April.
With all those important marriages in the Old Testament...even kings and prophets, would you mind showing April all the scriptures that tell of weddings in the Old Testament.
Then would you describe a Hebrew wedding ceremony?

What I'm going to do is continue to tell people that the scriptures are far more important than what men say in books like Strong's or Lexicon. While I agree such books can be helpful in learning the scriptures and about Hebrew and Greek words they're not the scriptures. I don't agree with everything that is said in these books. People think there interpretation of Scripture trumps Scripture and it doesn't. What I mean by what I'm saying here is that like I said no one will find any evidence that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden. This is the truth. We also have to understand that back during that time people looked at sex much differently than people do today. People today want to have sex with multiple partners because it's fun and feels good. The main reason that people got married and had sex is because God had commanded mankind to be fruitful and fill the Earth. Having children was one of the main purposes of marriage.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I'm going to do is continue to tell people that the scriptures are far more important than what men say in books like Strong's or Lexicon. While I agree such books can be helpful in learning the scriptures and about Hebrew and Greek words they're not the scriptures. I don't agree with everything that is said in these books. People think there interpretation of Scripture trumps Scripture and it doesn't. What I mean by what I'm saying here is that like I said no one will find any evidence that Adam and Eve had sex before they were expelled from the garden of Eden. This is the truth. We also have to understand that back during that time people looked at sex much differently than people do today. People today want to have sex with multiple partners because it's fun and feels good. The main reason that people got married and had sex is because God had commanded mankind to be fruitful and fill the Earth. Having children was one of the main purposes of marriage.

I am not looking for interpretation....looking for truth.
Multiple sex partners is wrong on several levels...that is not what I am talking about.
What actually "in affect" trumps scriptures is tradition. People learn their religion from tradition, by what they are told, not the Bible, not the facts. It is good to know the truth.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not looking for interpretation....looking for truth.
Multiple sex partners is wrong on several levels...that is not what I am talking about.
What actually "in affect" trumps scriptures is tradition. People learn their religion from tradition, by what they are told, not the Bible, not the facts. It is good to know the truth.
I agree that most people learn their religion from tradition and not the Bible but that tradition you're talking about came into existence through interpretation. Too many things that people believe to be the truth isn't the truth about God and his Only Begotten Son. Too many talk about what they say are the facts but are not the facts. Yes it's good to know the truth but that doesn't mean the majority will actually believe the truth but they will believe what they have been taught to be the truth and the facts, even fighting and dying for that belief that they believe to be true but isn't.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that most people learn their religion from tradition and not the Bible but that tradition you're talking about came into existence through interpretation. Too many things that people believe to be the truth isn't the truth about God and his Only Begotten Son. Too many talk about what they say are the facts but are not the facts. Yes it's good to know the truth but that doesn't mean the majority will actually believe the truth but they will believe what they have been taught to be the truth and the facts, even fighting and dying for that belief that they believe to be true but isn't.

I asked you to look in the Strong's...it is not there. People believing in things that are not even in the Bible. How do you interpret something that is not there?

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked you to look in the Strong's...it is not there. People believing in things that are not even in the Bible. How do you interpret something that is not there?

Hmmmm, it's not in the Vine's either, but it is in The Vine...because...it's DiVine...!

It's what makes us in His Image...I guess...Angels don't do it...though some believe they tried...

*On a side note...

I'd like it better if "divine" would be spelled "devine"...

The former is too much like "divide".

Then again, the latter is too much like "devil"...

Last edited:

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The following is the legal definition of marriage (Gods Word not present in this statement)

"A commonly accepted and encompassing definition of marriage is the following: a formal union and social and legal contract between two individuals that unites their lives legally, economically, and emotionally"

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm, it's not in the Vine's either, but it is in The Vine...because...it's DiVine...!

It's what makes us in His Image...I guess...Angels don't do it...though some believe they tried...

*On a side note...

I'd like it better if "divine" would be spelled "devine"...

The former is too much like "divide".

Then again, the latter is too much like "devil"...

Like I said when April started the thread, the history of all this would fill a book and people complain about long posts. And there so much misunderstanding and misinformation that it is hard to know where to start.
To start with ... the question ... what is marriage?
A monogamous union between a man and a woman.
A faithful union that is based on love and trust.
But that is a modern definition.

I keep talking about the Living Word of God....there are things that we have learned after the biblical era...
Marriages were always there, but the institution of marriage and wedding ceremonies developed over time.
The Living Word of God teaches us things, but as with Christian marriages the lessons are not always graceful.

Today marriages are the center piece of society. The family unit....nucleus. Mom and dad and kids. It is a stabilizing factor...a focus on what is good and important. Mother and father raising kids and teaching them. You could argue that we would not be as far along as a civilized society without marriage. Marriage is a very good thing.

But the road to getting here...a little bumpy...and most do not know the route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone