What is "Parousia"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
An article written in 1916:

TWO BANDS OF GOD'S HEROES
HEBREWS 11:1--12:2.

THE Bible puts faith before works, because no works can be acceptable to God unless inspired by faith. Thus it is written, "Without faith it is impossible to please God." The Bible brings to our attention two distinct classes of Faith Heroes, both pleasing to God and both to be highly rewarded by Him. One of these classes preceded Jesus' day; the other class follows His day. The first class of Faith Heroes are therefore known as the Ancient Worthies; the latter class, with Jesus as their Head, are styled the sons of God. This distinction or division of God's servants, although clearly marked in the Scriptures, has been overlooked by the Lord's people until recent years.

No matter how faithful or loyal Enoch, Abraham, David, Jeremiah and others were, they could not be recognized by God as members of the House of Sons, because they lived before Jesus' day--before Jesus tasted death for every man. The Bible points out that the first man Adam was recognized as a son of God (Luke 3:38). From the time that sin entered the world through Adam's disobedience, God recognized none of the human family as His sons--all were sinners--until Jesus came and died, the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us back to God and open to us the door of sonship. It is in harmony with this that St. Paul declares, "Moses verily was faithful as a servant over all his House [the House of Servants], but Christ as a Son over His own House [the House of Sons]."--Hebrews 3:5,6.

Thus the distinction is clearly marked between the noble brethren before the Cross, the last one of whom was John the Baptist, and the noble brethren since the Cross, the first of whom were the Apostles. That John the Baptist was the last of the Ancient Worthies is attested by the Master's words, "There hath not arisen a greater Prophet than John the Baptist; and yet I say unto you, that he that is least in the Kingdom of God is greater than he."--Luke 7:28.

St. Paul makes this distinction between the Ancient Worthies and the Christian Worthies in today's lesson. He first of all recites the names of the prominent ones of the past--Enoch, Abraham, David, Jeremiah, etc. He declares their faith, and says that they were pleasing to God, noble, praiseworthy. Then he calls attention to the fact that they never received the promises which God made to them.

It should be remembered that God did not promise Heavenly things prior to Jesus' day. The promises to the Ancient Worthies, which inspired their zeal and devotion, were all earthly promises; for instance, the one made to Abraham--"Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward; for all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed forever."--Genesis 13:14,15; 17:8.

St. Stephen calls our attention to the fact that this promise to Abraham is still secure and still unfulfilled. He declares that Abraham never received enough of that land to set his foot upon. On this promise he predicates the resurrection of Abraham, that in God's due time he may inherit the land, and that his faithful seed, or posterity, will inherit it after him.

On the other hand, the promises in the New Testament are only spiritual--Heavenly promises, "things above." The Christian Worthies are promised a share with Jesus in the Heavenly Kingdom which He is to establish at His Second Coming. They are to be His joint-heirs, "if so be that they suffer with Him that they may be also glorified together" (Romans 8:17). The promise to these is that they shall be a Kingdom of Priests, or a Royal Priesthood; while the promise to the Ancient Worthies is that they shall be made "princes in all the earth."--1 Peter 2:9; Rev. 20:6; Psalm 45:16.

The Christian heroes are to have a change of nature from human to Divine, the beginning of this change being the begetting of the Holy Spirit in the present time, and the completing of the change being that of the resurrection-- "changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye"--"sown in weakness, raised in power; sown in dishonor, raised in glory; sown an animal body, raised a spiritual body." But the Ancient Worthies, not having the begetting of the Holy Spirit to a new nature, will have a different resurrection; namely, to human perfection.

Contrasting these two classes of Faith Heroes, the Apostle in verses 39 and 40 declares that the Ancient Worthies, "having obtained a good report through faith, received not the Promise [the things promised to them]. God having promised some better thing for us [Christian heroes, followers in the footsteps of Jesus], that they without us should not be made perfect." In other words, God from the beginning arranged that Christ should be first--Jesus the Head, then the Church, His Body; and after the perfecting of these, styled the First Resurrection, the Divine promises will begin to fulfil to the Ancient Worthies, and extend ultimately to "all the families of the earth."--Genesis 12:3; Galatians 3:29.

THE CHRISTIAN RACE COURSE

God has great blessings in store for every member of the human family willing to accept the same on the Divine terms. But the chiefest of all the blessings brought to our attention in the Bible are those found to be provided for the Church class--the Little Flock, to whom it is the Father's good pleasure to give the Kingdom, and the glory and the honor of association with Jesus in the work of blessing the world during His Millennial Reign.

The Apostle addresses this class in the two closing verses of today's Study. He urges us, saying, "Wherefore, seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin that doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the Throne of God."

The Apostle is a forceful reasoner; for in these words he exhorts to look backwards at the list of Ancient Worthies and to consider what they endured and how faithful and loyal to God they were. Then he would have us consider them as though they were a cloud of witnesses watching us, to whom has been given this still greater blessing and privilege of becoming sons of God on the Divine plane, of attaining "the Divine nature."-- John 1:12; 2 Peter 1:4.

He pictures before our minds a great race-course, in which we are runners. He pictures Jesus as the Leader gone before, the One who has become the Author of our faith, the One through whom we are privileged to enter this race, and the One who has promised us grace sufficient for every time of need. He pictures to us how Jesus ran in this race and by faith looked forward to the joy that was set before Him by the Father. He pictures to us how loyal Jesus was, and what He endured--the cross and its shame. He pictures the Father's faithfulness in highly rewarding Jesus, seating Him at His own right hand of Divine Majesty. Then comes the exhortation, "Let us lay aside every weight," every hindrance, everything that would prevent our running grandly and successfully the race for this great prize which Jesus has obtained, and to which we are invited through the merit of His sacrifice.

The Apostle reminds us also that one of the greatest hindrances to our running this race is sin; that we are beset by inherited sin in our members; and that we need to run in the race not only perseveringly, but also patiently; for whoever would obtain so great a prize will need patience, will need to be proven and tested in all points as respects his loyalty and devotion to the Heavenly Father, to the Truth, and to the brethren. Only such as attain the character-likeness of their Leader in this narrow way may hope to be with Him and like Him, and share His glory; for God has predestinated that these shall all be conformed to the image of His Son. --Romans 8:29.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To clarify, you wrote, in post #442:

I (and Ronald) have been saying that nobody is resurrected in the first resurrection (which is what 1 Thess. 4:17 is referring to) except Christians, and that nobody could become a Christian until Jesus started his ministry, when he started baptizing through his disciples - John 4 (WEB):

(1) Therefore when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John
(2) (although Jesus himself didn’t baptize, but his disciples),​
(3) he left Judea, and departed into Galilee.​

Some might argue that you couldn't become a Christian until Pentecost, after Jesus had sacrificed his life and been resurrected by God, and when the Holy Spirit was poured out upon the believers. Either way, none of the Old Testament prophets, up to and including John the Baptist (who Jesus said was the greatest of the prophets - Matthew 11:11), could possibly be members of the Church, and it is only the Church that Jesus returns for. Jesus was speaking to his disciples only when he said, John 14 (WEB):

(2) In my Father’s house are many homes. If it weren’t so, I would have told you. I am going to prepare a place for you.​
(3) If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will receive you to myself; that where I am, you may be there also.​

The Old Testament prophets were not promised joint heirship with Jesus of his glory, honour and immortality, nor a spirit nature and a home in heaven. Only Christians can become part of the New Creation and the bride of Christ. I'll post and old article about this next.
You said: "The Old Testament prophets were not promised joint heirship with Jesus of his glory, honour and immortality, nor a spirit nature and a home in heaven. Only Christians can become part of the New Creation and the bride of Christ. I'll post and old article about this next."

#1 - You, Ron, myself have no authority to say who will or will not be part of the First Resurrection.

#2 - the WORD/JESUS said that those from Genesis forward who believed in the WORD have received salvation.

When is the last time you read Hebrews, Galatians, Gospel, Acts ???

How is it that you cannot see what the WORD says???

Jesus answered, “You are mistaken because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. In the resurrection, people will neither marry nor be given in marriage. Instead, they will be like the angels in heaven.
a.) But concerning the resurrection of the dead,
b.) have you not read what God said to you:
c.) ‘I am the God of Abraham,
d.) the God of Isaac,
e.) and the God of Jacob’?

He is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you are sinning by using divination to determine what I do or do not know about teh Scriptures.

but Just to tell you a little about myself.

1. bible College Graduate
2. 4 missionary junket trips.
3. Adult Sunday school teacher
4. occasional Christian school teacher
5. Taught on radio.
6. Several dozen pieces in the local newspaper.
7. Adult Sunday School teacher
8. Created curriculum for a Bible Institute
9. Taught in bible College and bible Institute
10. 9 year volunteer chaplain in county jail.
11. bible study leader
12. Adult Sunday school teacher
13. Discipled several individuals.
14. Taught discipleship in four local churches.
15. Funded and ran an emergency food pantry.

forgive my boasting, but I felt it was needed to quell your haughtiness and sin of presumptiousness.

I would gladly put my knowledge of Gods Word any time against yours and see who has studied more to show themselves approved unto God. I have been walking with the Lord for over 49 years and have conservatively studied the NT over 200 times
You fit right in with many religious people today.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you need to recant of your sins of presumptiousness and divination.

How long have you been saved and how long have you studied the Scriptures???? I gave you my bio, so whats yours!

But to add to my bio

1. I have used both Hebrew and Greek to study the Testaments.
2. I have defended the faith from JW's, Mormons, Buddhists, Forever Family, Hare Krishnas, Evolutionsts, lose your salvation heretics, as well as others.

How about you and your pretending to know what depth I have studied Scripture. If you defended your position better than just quoting a translation of a translation instead of sinning by pretending to know my knowledge you would fare better before the Lord.
Remarkable!!!

and yet you struggle with clearly explained truth from the Apostle Paul in Galatians, Romans, Ephesians

Religious people always get upset when they are shown the scripture that brings Light upon things are are not rightly handled.

But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, “In Isaac your seed shall be called.” That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed.

Be careful that you do not allow anger to be in your heart against this little Holy Spirit filled son of God.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To clarify, you wrote, in post #442:

I (and Ronald) have been saying that nobody is resurrected in the first resurrection (which is what 1 Thess. 4:17 is referring to) except Christians, and that nobody could become a Christian until Jesus started his ministry, when he started baptizing through his disciples - John 4 (WEB):

(1) Therefore when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John
(2) (although Jesus himself didn’t baptize, but his disciples),​
(3) he left Judea, and departed into Galilee.​

Some might argue that you couldn't become a Christian until Pentecost, after Jesus had sacrificed his life and been resurrected by God, and when the Holy Spirit was poured out upon the believers. Either way, none of the Old Testament prophets, up to and including John the Baptist (who Jesus said was the greatest of the prophets - Matthew 11:11), could possibly be members of the Church, and it is only the Church that Jesus returns for. Jesus was speaking to his disciples only when he said, John 14 (WEB):

(2) In my Father’s house are many homes. If it weren’t so, I would have told you. I am going to prepare a place for you.​
(3) If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will receive you to myself; that where I am, you may be there also.​

The Old Testament prophets were not promised joint heirship with Jesus of his glory, honour and immortality, nor a spirit nature and a home in heaven. Only Christians can become part of the New Creation and the bride of Christ. I'll post and old article about this next.
You said: "The Old Testament prophets were not promised joint heirship with Jesus of his glory, honour and immortality, nor a spirit nature and a home in heaven. Only Christians can become part of the New Creation and the bride of Christ."

the Holy Scriptures corrected your unbelief in Post #451 and #457

Here is another TRUTH from the WORD that again corrects your unbelief = Daniel chapter 12

At that time Michael, the great prince who stands watch over your people, will rise up. There will be a time of distress, the likes of which will not have occurred from the beginning of nations until that time. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.

And many who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake, some to everlasting life, but others to shame and everlasting contempt.
Then the wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars forever and ever.

But you, Daniel, shut up these words and seal the book until the time of the end.

I heard, but I did not understand. So I asked, “My lord, what will be the outcome of these things?”

“Go on your way, Daniel,” he replied, “for the words are closed up and sealed until the time of the end.
Many will be purified, made spotless, and refined, but the wicked will continue to act wickedly. None of the wicked will understand, but the wise will understand.

And from the time the daily sacrifice is abolished and the abomination of desolation set up, there will be 1,290 days.
Blessed is he who waits and reaches the end of the 1,335 days.

But as for you, go on your way until the end.
Daniel, you will rest, and will arise to your inheritance at the end of the days.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You said: "The Old Testament prophets were not promised joint heirship with Jesus of his glory, honour and immortality, nor a spirit nature and a home in heaven. Only Christians can become part of the New Creation and the bride of Christ. I'll post and old article about this next."

#1 - You, Ron, myself have no authority to say who will or will not be part of the First Resurrection.
Indeed. But what is your point and its relevance to who will have a part in the first resurrection as opposed to the second resurrection? I don't see how that helps your argument.

#2 - the WORD/JESUS said that those from Genesis forward who believed in the WORD have received salvation.
Your not referencing any Scripture to support that, but yes, Jesus' sacrifice provides salvation from death for everyone:

John 3:16 (WEB):
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.​

Christians believe in Jesus and will have a part in the first resurrection and will be resurrected with immortal spirit bodies; everyone else will be resurrected as humans (except the Great Tribulation saints who wil be resurrected as mortal spirit beings - Rev. 7:14-17) and will then believe in Jesus and be brought to perfection over the 1,000 years rule of Christ, and will be granted eternal life if they pass the final test at the end of that 1,000 years.

When is the last time you read Hebrews, Galatians, Gospel, Acts ???
That's irrelevant!

How is it that you cannot see what the WORD says???

Jesus answered, “You are mistaken because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. In the resurrection, people will neither marry nor be given in marriage. Instead, they will be like the angels in heaven.
a.) But concerning the resurrection of the dead,
b.) have you not read what God said to you:
c.) ‘I am the God of Abraham,
d.) the God of Isaac,
e.) and the God of Jacob’?

He is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”
How can you not see that the verses that you have quoted say nothing about who gets a part in the first resurrection?!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed. But what is your point and its relevance to who will have a part in the first resurrection as opposed to the second resurrection? I don't see how that helps your argument.

Your not referencing any Scripture to support that, but yes, Jesus' sacrifice provides salvation from death for everyone:

(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.​

Christians believe in Jesus and will have a part in the first resurrection and will be resurrected with immortal spirit bodies; everyone else will be resurrected as humans (except the Great Tribulation saints who wil be resurrected as mortal spirit beings - Rev. 7:14-17) and will then believe in Jesus and be brought to perfection over the 1,000 years rule of Christ, and will be granted eternal life if they pass the final test at the end of that 1,000 years.

That's irrelevant!

How can you not see that the verses that you have quoted say nothing about who gets a part in the first resurrection?!
Poor keithr, if only you would believe in the WORD.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You said: "The Old Testament prophets were not promised joint heirship with Jesus of his glory, honour and immortality, nor a spirit nature and a home in heaven. Only Christians can become part of the New Creation and the bride of Christ."

the Holy Scriptures corrected your unbelief in Post #451 and #457
Those posts don't correct my unbelief in your interpretation of the Scriptures. The Scriptues you quoted in those posts say nothing about the resurrection, let alone who gets to have a part in the first resurrection.

Here is another TRUTH from the WORD that again corrects your unbelief = Daniel chapter 12

“Go on your way, Daniel,” he replied, “for the words are closed up and sealed until the time of the end.
Many will be purified, made spotless, and refined, but the wicked will continue to act wickedly. None of the wicked will understand, but the wise will understand.

But as for you, go on your way until the end.
Daniel, you will rest, and will arise to your inheritance at the end of the days.
Those verses say that there will be a Great Tribulation, but the Israelites shall be delivered from it, and that there will be a resurrection of the dead, including Daniel. Again they say nothing of the first resurrection of the Church, which was only revealed to the Church, as taught by the Apostles:

Romans 14:24-25 (WEB):
(24) Now to him who is able to establish you according to my Good News and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret through long ages,​
(25) but now is revealed, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, is made known for obedience of faith to all the nations;​

Did you read my post #461? In it it says:

The Bible brings to our attention two distinct classes of Faith Heroes, both pleasing to God and both to be highly rewarded by Him. One of these classes preceded Jesus' day; the other class follows His day. The first class of Faith Heroes are therefore known as the Ancient Worthies; the latter class, with Jesus as their Head, are styled the sons of God. This distinction or division of God's servants, although clearly marked in the Scriptures, has been overlooked by the Lord's people until recent years.
You seem to be overlooking that distinction between those of faith who lived before Jesus' ministry and sacrifice, and those of faith who lived after Jesus' sacrifice, and the different promises made to the two classes.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those posts don't correct my unbelief in your interpretation of the Scriptures. The Scriptues you quoted in those posts say nothing about the resurrection, let alone who gets to have a part in the first resurrection.

Those verses say that there will be a Great Tribulation, but the Israelites shall be delivered from it, and that there will be a resurrection of the dead, including Daniel. Again they say nothing of the first resurrection of the Church, which was only revealed to the Church, as taught by the Apostles:

(24) Now to him who is able to establish you according to my Good News and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret through long ages,​
(25) but now is revealed, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, is made known for obedience of faith to all the nations;​

Did you read my post #461? In it it says:

You seem to be overlooking that distinction between those of faith who lived before Jesus' ministry and sacrifice, and those of faith who lived after Jesus' sacrifice, and the different promises made to the two classes.
keithr, currently you do not know who the WORD is and what that means beginning in Genesis.

LOOK = you even posted a scripture but you do not fully understand what it says = Romans 14:24-25

(24) Now to him who is able to establish you according to my Good News and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret through long ages,
(25) but now is revealed, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, is made known for obedience of faith to all the nations;

Here is a CLUE for you = Revelation 10:7

But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be fulfilled, just as He proclaimed to His servants the prophets.”

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
keithr, currently you do not know who the WORD is and what that means beginning in Genesis.

LOOK = you even posted a scripture but you do not fully understand what it says = Romans 14:24-25
:rolleyes: If you say so.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's irrelevant!

You said: How can you not see that the verses that you have quoted say nothing about who gets a part in the first resurrection?!

answer: the WORD only spoke of one Resurrection for the Just

i asked: When is the last time you read Hebrews, Acts, Gospel and now Genesis?

You said: That's irrelevant!

You created your own Road Block to Truth

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You said: How can you not see that the verses that you have quoted say nothing about who gets a part in the first resurrection?!

answer: the WORD only spoke of one Resurrection for the Just
It is referring to the general (second) resurrection, not the special (first) resurrection of the Church which had not yet been revealed.

i asked: When is the last time you read Hebrews, Acts, Gospel and now Genesis?

You said: That's irrelevant!

You created your own Road Block to Truth
It's no more relevant than when was the last time that you read any part of the Bible. Just because you don't read all the Bible every day that doesn't mean that you have never read the Bible, or that you have never understood any of it. It was a completely pointless question to ask.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You fit right in with many religious people today.
Less than you.

YOu are shallow, superficial, judge without investigation and leap to conclusions.

I know whom I serve and how deep my devotion is to Him. Your not so veiled insults are a badge of honor.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remarkable!!!

and yet you struggle with clearly explained truth from the Apostle Paul in Galatians, Romans, Ephesians

Religious people always get upset when they are shown the scripture that brings Light upon things are are not rightly handled.

But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, “In Isaac your seed shall be called.” That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed.

Be careful that you do not allow anger to be in your heart against this little Holy Spirit filled son of God.
I do not get angry here, despite your false accusations! I speak bluntly and directly.

No, I defend teh truths of Romans, galatians and Ephesians against those like you who would reinterpret the word of God to promote an anti semitic bias and deny the promises of God to His covenanted people.

And there is no anger in this rather large Holy Spirit filled child of God against you . Just pity and sorrow.

Have the last word. We are through. You are more interested in subtle personal attacks than sincere debate.

BTW I honestly would like to know your training in the Word of God.

Where you fellowship and what training you have submitted yourself to to get where you are today. I will respond if you would answer that.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is referring to the general (second) resurrection, not the special (first) resurection of the Church which had not yet been revealed.

It's no more relevant than when was the last time that you read any part of the Bible. Just because you don't read all the Bible every day that doesn't mean that you have never read the Bible, or that you have never understood any of it. It was a completely pointless question to ask.
You said: "It is referring to the general (second) resurrection, not the special (first) resurection of the Church which had not yet been revealed."

Says who???

Do you have evidence of such you are saying?

i have shown you the CLEAR evidence of the very words from the LORD Jesus Christ and from the Holy Spirit.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You said: "It is referring to the general (second) resurrection, not the special (first) resurection of the Church which had not yet been revealed."

Says who???

Do you have evidence of such you are saying?

i have shown you the CLEAR evidence of the very words from the LORD Jesus Christ and from the Holy Spirit.
If you think that I am wrong then please show me Old Testament verses which tell of a resurrection to spirit bodies with a home in heaven, and to a role as priests and kings - something which sounds similar to the first resurrection. I don't think that is revealed in the Old Testament. Here are some verses that show that the mystery (truths formerly unknown) of God's plan for a new creation - the body and bride of Christ - was revealed for the first time to the Apostles (especially Paul):

First Jesus mentions two resurrections, John 5:28-29 (WEB):
(28) Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice​
(29) and will come out; those who have done good, to the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment.​

The "resurrection of life" is the first resurrection, a resurrection to perfect, immortal spirit beings ("Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over these, the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with him one thousand years", Rev 20:6). The "resurrection of judgement" is the resurrection of non-Christians to human life on the earth, to live through the trial of the 1,000 years reign with it's final test at the end, and final judgement of eternal life or the second death ("The rest of the dead didn’t live until the thousand years were finished.", Rev 20:5).

Writing to Church members only (so it applies only to Christians), Paul wrote, 1 Corinthians 15:51-53 (WEB):
(51) Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,​
(52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.​
(53) For this perishable body must become imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.

This is the first time that immortality for anybody other than God is mentioned, and of a resurrection to other than to human life. 2 Timothy 1:10 (ESV): "and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel". 1 John 3:2 (WEB): "Beloved, now we are children of God, and it is not yet revealed what we will be. But we know that when he is revealed, we will be like him; for we will see him just as he is". John 1:12 (WEB): "But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name" (Old Testament people couldn't receive him, or believe in his name).

1 Corinthians 2:7-10 (WEB):
(7) But we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the wisdom that has been hidden, which God foreordained before the worlds for our glory,​
(8) which none of the rulers of this world has known. For had they known it, they wouldn’t have crucified the Lord of glory.​
(9) But as it is written, “Things which an eye didn’t see, and an ear didn’t hear, which didn’t enter into the heart of man, these God has prepared for those who love him.”​
(10) But to us, God revealed them through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.​

Ephesians 3:3-10 (ESV)
(3) how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly.​
(4) When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ,​
(5) which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.​
(6) This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
(7) Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God's grace, which was given me by the working of his power.​
(8) To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,​
(9) and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God, who created all things,​
(10) so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.

The wisdom and plan of God was revealed to the angels through the Church; before that even the angels didn't know of God's plan for the body/bride of Christ.

1 Peter 2:9 (ESV):
(9) But you [Christians] are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think that I am wrong then please show me Old Testament verses which tell of a resurrection to spirit bodies with a home in heaven, and to a role as priests and kings - something which sounds similar to the first resurrection. I don't think that is revealed in the Old Testament. Here are some verses that show that the mystery (truths formerly unknown) of God's plan for a new creation - the body and bride of Christ - was revealed for the first time to the Apostles (especially Paul):

First Jesus mentions two resurrections, John 5:28-29 (WEB):
(28) Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice​
(29) and will come out; those who have done good, to the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment.​

The "resurrection of life" is the first resurrection, a resurrection to perfect, immortal spirit beings ("Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over these, the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with him one thousand years", Rev 20:6). The "resurrection of judgement" is the resurrection of non-Christians to human life on the earth, to live through the trial of the 1,000 years reign with it's final test at the end, and final judgement of eternal life or the second death ("The rest of the dead didn’t live until the thousand years were finished.", Rev 20:5).

Writing to Church members only (so it applies only to Christians), Paul wrote, 1 Corinthians 15:51-53 (WEB):
(51) Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,​
(52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.​
(53) For this perishable body must become imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.

This is the first time that immortality for anybody other than God is mentioned, and of a resurrection to other than to human life. 2 Timothy 1:10 (ESV): "and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel". 1 John 3:2 (WEB): "Beloved, now we are children of God, and it is not yet revealed what we will be. But we know that when he is revealed, we will be like him; for we will see him just as he is". John 1:12 (WEB): "But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name" (Old Testament people couldn't receive him, or believe in his name).

1 Corinthians 2:7-10 (WEB):
(7) But we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the wisdom that has been hidden, which God foreordained before the worlds for our glory,​
(8) which none of the rulers of this world has known. For had they known it, they wouldn’t have crucified the Lord of glory.​
(9) But as it is written, “Things which an eye didn’t see, and an ear didn’t hear, which didn’t enter into the heart of man, these God has prepared for those who love him.”​
(10) But to us, God revealed them through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.​

Ephesians 3:3-10 (ESV)
(3) how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly.​
(4) When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ,​
(5) which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.​
(6) This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
(7) Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God's grace, which was given me by the working of his power.​
(8) To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,​
(9) and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God, who created all things,​
(10) so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.

The wisdom and plan of God was revealed to the angels through the Church; before that even the angels didn't know of God's plan for the body/bride of Christ.

1 Peter 2:9 (ESV):
(9) But you [Christians] are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
At that time Michael, the great prince who stands watch over your people, will rise up. There will be a time of distress,
the likes of which will not have occurred from the beginning of nations until that time.
But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the bookwill be delivered.

And many who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake, some to everlasting life, but others to shame and everlasting contempt.
Then the wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens,
and those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars forever and ever.

But you, Daniel, shut up these words and seal the book until the time of the end. Many will roam to and fro, and knowledge will increase.”

Then I, Daniel, looked and saw two others standing there, one on this bank of the river and one on the opposite bank.
One of them said to the man dressed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, “How long until the fulfillment of these wonders?”

And the man dressed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, raised his right hand and his left hand toward heaven, and I heard him swear by Him who lives forever, saying, “It will be for a time, and times, and half a time. When the power of the holy people has finally been shattered, all these things will be completed.”

I heard, but I did not understand. So I asked, “My lord, what will be the outcome of these things?”

Many will be purified, made spotless, and refined, but the wicked will continue to act wickedly.
None of the wicked will understand, but the wise will understand.

And from the time the daily sacrifice is abolished and the abomination of desolation set up, there will be 1,290 days.
Blessed is he who waits and reaches the end of the 1,335 days.

But as for you/Daniel, go on your way until the end.
You will rest, and will arise to your inheritance at the end of the days.”

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
At that time Michael, the great prince who stands watch over your people, will rise up. There will be a time of distress,
the likes of which will not have occurred from the beginning of nations until that time.
But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the bookwill be delivered.
The Israelites being delivered from their enemies (or from death) does not mean that they will have a part in the first resurrection. The fact that it refers to the Great Tribulation, which occurs after the Church has been resurrected, means that the living Israelites at that time won't have a part in the first resurrection.

Then the wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens,
and those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars forever and ever.
This does not say anything about who has a part in the first resurrection, and it certainly doesn't say that anyone from the Old Testament period will have a spiritual nature resurrection and share the Messiah's inheritance as priests and kings in God's kingdom.

Many will be purified, made spotless, and refined, but the wicked will continue to act wickedly.
None of the wicked will understand, but the wise will understand.
Still no indication that people from the Old Testament period will have a part in the first resurrection.

You will rest, and will arise to your inheritance at the end of the days.”
Daniel will be resurrcted and have an inheritance, just like everyone else, but again there is no indication that he will be changed from a human to a new spiritual creation and have a home in heaven with the Messiah and God. That blessing is only available for members of the Church.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Israelites being delivered from their enemies (or from death) does not mean that they will have a part in the first resurrection. The fact that it refers to the Great Tribulation, which occurs after the Church has been resurrected, means that the living Israelites at that time won't have a part in the first resurrection.

This does not say anything about who has a part in the first resurrection, and it certainly doesn't say that anyone from the Old Testament period will have a spiritual nature resurrection and share the Messiah's inheritance as priests and kings in God's kingdom.

Still no indication that people from the Old Testament period will have a part in the first resurrection.

Daniel will be resurrcted and have an inheritance, just like everyone else, but again there is no indication that he will be changed from a human to a new spiritual creation and have a home in heaven with the Messiah and God. That blessing is only available for members of the Church.
You said: "The Israelites being delivered from their enemies (or from death) does not mean that they will have a part in the first resurrection."

A.) This is true if they were/are not walking in FAITH to the WORD that was GOD in the Beginning with Genesis and forward.
Hebrews 4:1 - "Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it."

Therefore only those who BELIVEIVED the WORD thru FAITH were saved from Genesis all the way to TODAY.

======================================================================================

You said: "The fact that it refers to the Great Tribulation, which occurs after the Church has been resurrected, means that the living Israelites at that time won't have a part in the first resurrection."

B.) This is means they will not have part in the First Resurrection at His Second Coming = TRUE

But they will receive SALVATION in the LORD Jesus Christ = Matthew 23:37-39 and Romans chapter 11

For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.
And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:
“The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
For this is My covenant with them,
When I take away their sins.”

Last edited: