What is the "Abomination of Desolation"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Abomination of Desolation is directly connected to the Great Tribulation, which is in fact the Day of the LORD, and corresponds to the 7th trumpet judgments (the 7 vials of the wrath of God). Please note:

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand), Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:..
So the Abomination of Desolation is none other than "the image of the Beast"..

The image is not an idol so that is not it, check carefully what Jesus says:

"36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord." Matthew 23:36-39

Notice He says "All these things shall come upon this generation....your house is left unto you desolate." It is repeated but with more in Luke 13:

"32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.
33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.
34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!" Luke 13:32-34.

Now at the time of Daniel we see that Jerusalem was told of their "abomination" and warned of the consequences. We read before the destruction of Solomon's first temple the Jews had been given a warning by Ezekiel:

"Thus saith the Lord GOD; This is Jerusalem: I have set it in the midst of the nations and countries that are round about her.6 And she hath changed my judgments into wickedness more than the nations, and my statutes more than the countries that are round about her: for they have refused my judgments and my statutes, they have not walked in them.7 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye multiplied more than the nations that are round about you, and have not walked in my statutes, neither have kept my judgments, neither have done according to the judgments of the nations that are round about you;8 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I, am against thee, and will execute judgments in the midst of thee in the sight of the nations.9 And I will do in thee that which I have not done, and whereunto I will not do any more the like, because of all thine abominations.” Ezekiel 5:5-9 (KJV)

“11 Wherefore, as I live, saith the Lord God; Surely, because thou hast defiled my sanctuary with all thy detestable things, and with all thine abominations, therefore will I also diminish thee; neither shall mine eye spare, neither will I have any pity.” Ezekiel 5:11 (KJV)

Now further on in Ezekiel in Chapter 6, he prophesize the results of the abomination and in Chapter 8, laid out what it:

"5 Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.6 He said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from my sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations.7 And he brought me to the door of the court; and when I looked, behold a hole in the wall.8 Then said he unto me, Son of man, dig now in the wall: and when I had digged in the wall, behold a door.9 And he said unto me, Go in, and behold the wicked abominations that they do here.10 So I went in and saw; and behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, pourtrayed upon the wall round about.11 And there stood before them seventy men of the ancients of the house of Israel, and in the midst of them stood Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan, with every man his censer in his hand; and a thick cloud of incense went up.12 Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? for they say, the Lord seeth us not; the Lord hath forsaken the earth.13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.15 Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.16 And he brought me into the inner court of the Lord's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.17 Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.18 Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them." Ezekiel 8:5-18 (KJV)

It was the "abominations which they commit here" in the worship which even extended to worship in the Temple. The desolation of the 'abomination' of worship is found in straightforward in Daniel 1. "In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and beseiged it. And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with part of the vessels of the house of God: which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the vessels into the treasure house of his god" (Daniel 1:1,2).

Here Daniel reveals the abomination of desolation in his time led to Jerusalem's fall and captivity, and it even says not only the king of the land:

"5 Jehoiakim was twenty and five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord his God.
6 Against him came up Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and bound him in fetters, to carry him to Babylon.
7 Nebuchadnezzar also carried of the vessels of the house of the Lord to Babylon, and put them in his temple at Babylon.
8 Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, and his abominations which he did, and that which was found in him, behold, they are written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah: and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead.

Notice Jehoiakim “did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord his God.": "Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, and his abominations which he did, and that which was found in him, behold, they are written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah:".

But it wasn't just a misstep by one person but by the religious leaders and the people:

"14 Moreover all the chief of the priests, and the people, transgressed very much after all the abominations of the heathen; and polluted the house of the Lord which he had hallowed in Jerusalem. 2 Chronicles 36:14.

Notice, "moreover all the chief of the priests, and the people, transgressed very much after all the abominations of the heathen".

God's political and religious leaders, as well as the people, adopted heathen ways as their own and away from God and true worship at the expense of God's revealed truth. Notice the people "transgressed" abominations that were standing in God's consecrated holy place, the "house of the Lord."

The religious leaders of the day had knowingly led the people to adopt heathen worship practices and incorporated them into their worship of God and it was happening again at the time of Jesus. Notice He called them out on it:

"But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." Matthew 15:9

"Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." Mark 7:7.

Notice Jesus clearly says its about worship and He was talking to the religious leaders and making clear they again had led the people to adopt heathen worship practices and incorporated them into their worship of God. In substituting for God's commandments the traditions of men, the leaders of God's people provoked the desolation at the time of Daniels and did it in Jesus time.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
    synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More
nice imo, the etymologies of the elements in the passages actually bring that out

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You are so far off base, that there is no hope of having you see the truth. If indeed the prophecy of the Abomination of Desolation was ever fulfilled, the literal Second Coming of Christ to earth would have already been fulfilled! Since it is obvious that that has not happened, kindly go back to the Bible and start interpreting it correctly.
ha, but you have the truth, right?
see, you say it has not happened, meaning it has not happened in you, yet, maybe, but understand t that does not mean it hasn't happened in anyone necessarily right?

So imo be careful before declaring yourself wise, ok

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The slaying of the Lamb before the foundation of the world.

Hey ScottA,

Noooo! :) Yeah, there are many abominations throughout history, and some are in Scripture exactly as fulfilled in 1986.

Did you miss it?
Bobby Jo

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the abomination of desolation?

The abomination of desolation in Revelation is the statue the false prophet erects of the AC. Satan enters it bringing it to life.

It is called the Dragon.

For those that would argue I am wrong.

Daniel 9:27 New International Version (NIV)
27 He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’a]">[a] In the middle of the ‘seven’b]">[b] he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the templec]">[c] he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.d]">[d]”e]">[e]

Revelation 16:13 New International Version (NIV)
13 Then I saw three impure spirits that looked like frogs; they came out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey ScottA,

Noooo! :) Yeah, there are many abominations throughout history, and some are in Scripture exactly as fulfilled in 1986.

Did you miss it?
Bobby Jo
You are confusing the effect with the cause: The root cause of desolation is the attack on Christ in God, which happened before the foundation of the world. The effect are those things in history (His story) that give account through manifestations. This is the reading of the last will and testament.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are confusing the effect with the cause: The root cause of desolation is the attack on Christ ... .

Hi ScottA,

You've confused what satan did in the garden, and has been attempting to do each and every day, -- to remove mankind from communication from GOD --, and the ultimate manifestation of that effort. Toward this, I referenced a 1986 Historical instance which is cited in Scripture:

Daniel 11:30 For ships of Kittim shall come against him, and he shall be afraid and withdraw, and shall turn back and be enraged and take action against the holy covenant. He shall turn back and give heed to those who forsake the holy covenant. 31 Forces from him shall appear and profane the temple and fortress, and shall take away the continual burnt offering. And they shall set up the abomination that makes desolate.

So either figure out the precedent and derive the future consequences, or remain uniformed and continue guessing. :)

SO WHAT HAPPENED IN 1986?
Bobby Jo

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi ScottA,

You've confused what satan did in the garden, and has been attempting to do each and every day, -- to remove mankind from communication from GOD --, and the ultimate manifestation of that effort. Toward this, I referenced a 1986 Historical instance which is cited in Scripture:

Daniel 11:30 For ships of Kittim shall come against him, and he shall be afraid and withdraw, and shall turn back and be enraged and take action against the holy covenant. He shall turn back and give heed to those who forsake the holy covenant. 31 Forces from him shall appear and profane the temple and fortress, and shall take away the continual burnt offering. And they shall set up the abomination that makes desolate.

So either figure out the precedent and derive the future consequences, or remain uniformed and continue guessing. :)

SO WHAT HAPPENED IN 1986?
Bobby Jo
The point is...all of that, including anything that may have happened in 1986, are simply the manifest effects...and not the cause of desolation.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You too are confusing the effect with the cause.

If you're addressing me, -- Yes dear!

When my wife repeats herself or states the obvious, I simply say "yes dear".

"The on-ramp is just ahead." -- "Yes dear."
"Did you bring in the milk?" -- "Yes dear."
"Remember we have the birthday scheduled for Saturday." -- "Yes dear."
"You are confusing the effect with the cause." -- "Yes dear."​

Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To All,

It's funny how people get so locked into their logic, that they block out new information which would more adequately supplement their thought process.

Perhaps it's a combination of fixation and/or fear of admitting that they might need more perspective.

Bobby Jo

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the abomination of desolation?

The abomination of desolation in Revelation is the statue the false prophet erects of the AC. Satan enters it bringing it to life.

It is called the Dragon.

For those that would argue I am wrong.

Daniel 9:27 New International Version (NIV)
27 He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’a]">[a] In the middle of the ‘seven’b]">[b] he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the templec]">[c] he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.d]">[d]”e]">[e]

Revelation 16:13 New International Version (NIV)
13 Then I saw three impure spirits that looked like frogs; they came out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
"Then the book is delivered to one who is illiterate, saying, “Read this, please.” ...And he takes it literally, disregarding the fact that "it is sealed."