What is the "Abomination of Desolation"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as we know, neither Antiochus, nor Nero, nor any pope, nor any other Gentile actually sat in the temple of God claiming that he is God. So even calling Antiochus a "type" of the Antichrist is lame.

And then to claim that "the temple of God" is the Church and the Antichrist will sit in this temple is PREPOSTEROUS.

Lame? That wasn't nice, but considering the source, and your usual response to me...

The point is regarding the OP. Daniel 8 IS in reference to Antiochus Ephiphanes IV and it was before Christ that Maccabees cleansed the temple. So the other abomination of desolation that Daniel 9 spoke of and Jesus referenced is future, and not Nero or 70 AD, but the end of time. Some do not discern the difference in Matthew 24, and believe everything in it refers to 70 AD, but the disciples asked about two things, not one, and Jesus answered both.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as we know, neither Antiochus, nor Nero, nor any pope, nor any other Gentile actually sat in the temple of God claiming that he is God. So even calling Antiochus a "type" of the Antichrist is lame.

And then to claim that "the temple of God" is the Church and the Antichrist will sit in this temple is PREPOSTEROUS.
The AC is not the AOD. The AOD is a statue of the AC set up in a wing of the temple.

Antiochus was a foreshadowing of the AC.

The AOD was a pig slaughter on the Temple alter.

Another reason it is preposterous to say the church is the temple the AC said in is a simple fact the church will have been raptured, so not here.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lame? That wasn't nice, but considering the source, and your usual response to me...

The point is regarding the OP. Daniel 8 IS in reference to Antiochus Ephiphanes IV and it was before Christ that Maccabees cleansed the temple. So the other abomination of desolation that Daniel 9 spoke of and Jesus referenced is future, and not Nero or 70 AD, but the end of time. Some do not discern the difference in Matthew 24, and believe everything in it refers to 70 AD, but the disciples asked about two things, not one, and Jesus answered both.

Not the end of time, mid-tribulation.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry. That was not directed at you personally, but that myth has been going around for a long time.

What myth? Daniel 8 being Antiochus Epiphanes IV which is true, or Matthew 24 is just 70 AD which is false?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that is not found in Bible prophecy. He desecrated the temple, but that was not even close to what is actually in the Bible.

There is a lot of history that says that is what happened.

So, it may or may not have been. Neither of us know for fact.

But it does sound like something that would've been done.

Either way, the Bible does not compare then with revelation on what the AOD is.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well since images are idols, and idols are images when connected with false pagan worship, you are already off base.
No that image is a copy of the beast, it has nothing to do with an idol, we will have to start another thread on the beast who tries to control kings and kingdom after the Roman Empire fell, and tried to force people to follow it in the political and religious sphere with inquisitions and excommunications, and have them go on crusades, or send armadas against those that don't follow it, and the image that is doing it today.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Then the book is delivered to one who is illiterate, saying, “Read this, please.” ...And he takes it literally, disregarding the fact that "it is sealed."
Not quite, the Dragon directs the powers that causes sin and the abomination, but the rejection of the word given them by the prophets and the law in the time of Daniel is the abomination that happens at that time, and then when Jesus came, the rejection the very Word of God along with His death on the cross.

Not only did they reject the what God gave them but they fought the soldiers in the Temple, which they were strictly forbidden to enter except for the High Priest, much less fight in the Temple. Look at 2 Chronicles 36:17 in the fight against the soldiers of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon...

"17 Therefore he brought upon them the king of the Chaldees, who slew their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, and had no compassion upon young man or maiden, old man, or him that stooped for age: he gave them all into his hand." 2 Chronicles 36:17

At the time of Daniel the people rejected God's calls to repentance and reformation and were left to reap the consequences. The result was felt not only by the people but in the complete destruction of the city and sanctuary. The result of God's people practicing the religious abominations of the heathen was the desolation of their land, city and sanctuary for 70 years.

Now compare to what happened with the Romans when the Jews again entered into the Temple and fought the Roman Legion coming at them..."The Zealots and the Sicarii retreated to the Temple. The Roman legion, after several attempts at breaching the walls, set fire to the Holy Temple. The site that once gave thousands of Jewish people hope was destroyed. God, it seemed, was no longer in the city. This was the most devastating Roman blow to Judaea. The rest of the city was plundered and burned to the ground soon after the Temple fell. "The Great Jewish Revolt of 66 CE

"The boundless riches from the Temple treasury were used to strike coins with the legend JUDAEA CAPTA ("Judaea defeated"). "Titus' Siege of Jerusalem - Livius

" The Jews' Great Revolt against Rome in 66 C.E. led to one of the greatest catastrophes in Jewish life and, in retrospect, might well have been a terrible mistake. Outside Jerusalem, Roman troops prepared to besiege the city; inside the city, the Jews were engaged in a suicidal civil war. In later generations, the rabbis hyperbolically declared that the revolt's failure, and the Temple's destruction, was due not to Roman military superiority but to causeless hatred (sinat khinam) among the Jews (Yoma 9b).

It is estimated that as many as one million Jews died in the Great Revolt against Rome. When people today speak of the almost two-thousand-year span of Jewish homelessness and exile, they are dating it from the failure of the revolt and the destruction of the Temple. Indeed, the Great Revolt of 66-70, followed some sixty years later by the Bar Kokhba revolt, were the greatest calamities in Jewish history prior to the Holocaust. In addition to the more than one million Jews killed, these failed rebellions led to the total loss of Jewish political authority in Israel until 1948. "
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...evolt-66-70-ce

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So when Daniel wrote about the “abomination of desolation,” the sanctuary in Jerusalem had just been destroyed with the entire city and even the wall of the city were demolished, the place was left desolate. So he understood what the desolation connected to the abomination entailed. After their release from Babylonian captivity and rebuilding the city and temple, the Jewish leaders erected a mountain of rules and regulations. The Jews reasoned that since it was transgression of the law that led to their captivity, especially in their worship such as the Sabbath they needed to define in minute detail how the Sabbath should be kept. This was resulted in the clash with Jesus over the disciples eating some grain..
"1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.
2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;" Matthew 12:1-3.

Over 500 rules concerning the Sabbath were set up not from God or His word, some of these were as ridiculous as one could not leave an egg in the sun on the Sabbath because the sun might cook it, and the number of steps you could take on it. To say the least, this only resulted in a system of absolute legalism and also the people began to believe that favor with God depended on how well they obeyed the traditions of their elders.

Now when Jesus issued His warning to the disciples about again happening “the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet,” the Jewish leaders, were through the traditions of man setting aside the commands, again making abomination of Gods true worship.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You're terribly wrong about BOTH... of those ideas.

Antiochus IV did... serve as a 'type' of the final Antichrist. Those who cannot understand Antiochus as a type for the coming final Antichrist in Jerusalem don't want others to grasp the idea of 'types' given in God's Word either.

In Revelation is a repeated phrase from the Book of Isaiah, word for word... but applied to two different times and places...

Isa 21:9
9 And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, 'Babylon is fallen, is fallen'; and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground.

KJV

Rev 14:8
8 And there followed another angel, saying, 'Babylon is fallen, is fallen', that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.

KJV

The first example was about geographical Babylon when it fell. The second example is about the last days symbolic Babylon city and its fall at the end of this world.

SO MUCH FOR THOSE WHO THINK ANTIOCHUS DOESN'T SERVE AS A TYPE FOR THE FINAL ANTICHRIST IN JERUSALEM. THOSE WHO THINK THOSE PEOPLE HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD'S WORD OUGHT TO THINK AGAIN.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not quite, the Dragon directs the powers that causes sin and the abomination, but the rejection of the word given them by the prophets and the law in the time of Daniel is the abomination that happens at that time, and then when Jesus came, the rejection the very Word of God along with His death on the cross.

Not only did they reject the what God gave them but they fought the soldiers in the Temple, which they were strictly forbidden to enter except for the High Priest, much less fight in the Temple. Look at 2 Chronicles 36:17 in the fight against the soldiers of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon...

"17 Therefore he brought upon them the king of the Chaldees, who slew their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, and had no compassion upon young man or maiden, old man, or him that stooped for age: he gave them all into his hand." 2 Chronicles 36:17

At the time of Daniel the people rejected God's calls to repentance and reformation and were left to reap the consequences. The result was felt not only by the people but in the complete destruction of the city and sanctuary. The result of God's people practicing the religious abominations of the heathen was the desolation of their land, city and sanctuary for 70 years.

Now compare to what happened with the Romans when the Jews again entered into the Temple and fought the Roman Legion coming at them..."The Zealots and the Sicarii retreated to the Temple. The Roman legion, after several attempts at breaching the walls, set fire to the Holy Temple. The site that once gave thousands of Jewish people hope was destroyed. God, it seemed, was no longer in the city. This was the most devastating Roman blow to Judaea. The rest of the city was plundered and burned to the ground soon after the Temple fell. "The Great Jewish Revolt of 66 CE

"The boundless riches from the Temple treasury were used to strike coins with the legend JUDAEA CAPTA ("Judaea defeated"). "Titus' Siege of Jerusalem - Livius

" The Jews' Great Revolt against Rome in 66 C.E. led to one of the greatest catastrophes in Jewish life and, in retrospect, might well have been a terrible mistake. Outside Jerusalem, Roman troops prepared to besiege the city; inside the city, the Jews were engaged in a suicidal civil war. In later generations, the rabbis hyperbolically declared that the revolt's failure, and the Temple's destruction, was due not to Roman military superiority but to causeless hatred (sinat khinam) among the Jews (Yoma 9b).

It is estimated that as many as one million Jews died in the Great Revolt against Rome. When people today speak of the almost two-thousand-year span of Jewish homelessness and exile, they are dating it from the failure of the revolt and the destruction of the Temple. Indeed, the Great Revolt of 66-70, followed some sixty years later by the Bar Kokhba revolt, were the greatest calamities in Jewish history prior to the Holocaust. In addition to the more than one million Jews killed, these failed rebellions led to the total loss of Jewish political authority in Israel until 1948. "
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...evolt-66-70-ce
That is all a look at the internal manifestation or likeness, but for the actual "cause" or an abomination to God, we must go external and beyond the world, where there is only one abomination that causes desolation.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So when Daniel wrote about the “abomination of desolation,” the sanctuary in Jerusalem had just been destroyed with the entire city and even the wall of the city were demolished, the place was left desolate. So he understood what the desolation connected to the abomination entailed.

The idea of 'desolation' in the "abomination of desolation" phrase is not about a physical destruction. It's about spiritual desolation by an idol abomination. What you're trying to do is separate the idea of 'desolation' off by itself. Won't work.

The Daniel 11 and Daniel 9:27 prophecy requires a STANDING TEMPLE for it to be fulfilled. This shows that the destruction of the 1st temple by the king of Babylon, nor the destruction of the 2nd temple by the Romans didn't fit the "abomination of desolation" prophecy.

This reveals what the "abomination of desolation" is about:

Ezek 8:3-6
3 And he put forth the form of an hand, and took me by a lock of mine head; and the spirit lifted me up between the earth and the heaven, and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the door of the inner gate that looketh toward the north; where was the seat of the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy.

4 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain.

5 Then said He unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.

6 He said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from My sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations.
KJV

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is all a look at the internal manifestation or likeness, but for the actual "cause" or an abomination to God, we must go external and beyond the world, where there is only one abomination that causes desolation.

False worship, this is clear from scripture, and the cause.

Deuteronomy 7:25-26 King James Version (KJV)

25 The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therin: for it is an abomination to the Lord thy God.

26 Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idea of 'desolation' in the "abomination of desolation" phrase is not about a physical destruction. It's about spiritual desolation by an idol abomination. What you're trying to do is separate the idea of 'desolation' off by itself. Won't work.

The Daniel 11 and Daniel 9:27 prophecy requires a STANDING TEMPLE for it to be fulfilled. This shows that the destruction of the 1st temple by the king of Babylon, nor the destruction of the 2nd temple by the Romans didn't fit the "abomination of desolation" prophecy.

This reveals what the "abomination of desolation" is about:

Ezek 8:3-6
3 And he put forth the form of an hand, and took me by a lock of mine head; and the spirit lifted me up between the earth and the heaven, and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the door of the inner gate that looketh toward the north; where was the seat of the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy.

4 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain.

5 Then said He unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.

6 He said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from My sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations.
KJV

Ok, let me put it to you in a simple question. How many years was it till the Jews were let back from the desolation and restore Israel after the Romans destruction of the Temple in 70 AD.

They had to wait, till 1948.

Now, how long has it been since the restoration of their sacrificial system in the tabernacle..........

There is no Temple in Jerusalem, they are still suffering from the desolation, and they will not see it until Christ brings down the New Jerusalem, to be with those who through His power overcome sin, scripture is clear.

Revelation 3:11-13

11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Revelation 21:2-13

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False worship, this is clear from scripture, and the cause.

Deuteronomy 7:25-26 King James Version (KJV)

25 The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therin: for it is an abomination to the Lord thy God.

26 Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing.
Matthew 23:19
"Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that sanctifies the gift?"

...Which is greater, the examples of abomination against God in the word and in the world, or the actual abomination that caused the world to be driven out from the presence of God?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 23:19
"Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that sanctifies the gift?"

...Which is greater, the examples of abomination against God in the word and in the world, or the actual abomination that caused the world to be driven out from the presence of God?

True worship to the One who deserves it is what is the issue, as Satan has hijacked it through the abomination of idols and its various forms of corruption of his worship such as the money changers who made the temple a den of thieves rather then worship, or the traditions they had picked up that overturned Gods law, etc.. They had suffered desolation since their first temple was destroyed, and the people had been led full circle to disobedience and abomination again and the leaders were at the forefront. We see it as Jesus comments that in spite of their apparent religiosity they were still breaking God's law even as their forefathers had during Isaiah's and Daniel's day....

"6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye."Mark 7:6-13 King James Version (KJV)

Notice Jesus calls them out, "Well hath Isaiah prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoreth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men... full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition... making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered". Once again the Jews found themselves immersed in vain and wrong worship that led to the abomination all the way to crucifying the Son of God.

The second temple was honored with the living presence of the Son of God in whom dwelt the fullness of the Godhead bodily, who was God Himself manifest in the flesh. With the presence of Christ, the second temple exceeded the first temple in glory. Jesus points out what will cause the desolation....

"1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.......
13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?...........
23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate." Matthew 23 (Shortened a bit)

Jesus condemned them for their abominations and one that stands out was when He cleansed the temple of the abomination they had created inside it. On these times He expressed His anger at the desecration of His holy place, and in detail He prophesized the events of the coming destruction. We see a direct connection to the coming desolation in Luke 19...

"37 And when he was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen;
38 Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.
39 And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples.
40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,
42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.
43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,
44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.
45 And he went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold therein, and them that bought;
46 Saying unto them, It is written, My house is the house of prayer: but ye have made it a den of thieves." Luke 19:37-46.

The real controversy between Jesus and the Jews was over the abomination they had made of worship, and we see what was to be the culmination of the evil which resulted, in verse 47:

"And he taught daily in the temple. But the chief priests and the scribes and the chief of the people sought to destroy him," Luke 19:47

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is now our great High Priest in His heavenly sanctuary, scripture shows us.

Hebrews 8:1-6
1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;
2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.
3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.
4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:
5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

We no longer need to bring lambs and bulls as sinners can now be saved by going directly to our loving heavenly Father through Jesus Christ.

John 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

But there are those who teach that people cannot be saved by going directly to God through Jesus Christ , but rather that we must go through another mediator Mary rather than Christ, that again they worship idols, no called 'saints' and we have to go through rites, sacraments and traditions to save us.

But the worse is the one claims to be a church leader who claims he is infallible, a God on earth, with the authority to change the law and worship from his position, which is
as literally as God in the temple of God, proclaiming to be the leader of all Christians.
This man is called the ‘Vicar of Christ’ which means ‘substitute for Christ’ and proclaims to forgive sins and holds ‘salvation by works’, instead of through the blood of Jesus.

Are we blind, or has the abomination come back full circle again...