What is the "Abomination of Desolation"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The cause was the purpose and plan of God. The effect is salvation.

You are accusing God creating an AOD.
You have me confused with someone else. I didn't accuse God of anything.

But, just curious: What's an "AOD?" (Like I should know)

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"... the book is ... sealed ..."

... until the time of the end! -- Hmmmmmmm, I think that 1948 is approximate to the TIME OF THE END, and the Seal has been opened. In fact if the commentators hadn't convinced the ENTIRE christian community that the prophecies had ANCIENT fulfillments, we might be a lot closer to these prophecies which start at WWI, and include not only David Ben Gurion, but also the world's significant military and political events of the 1900's and into the 2000's.

So are you going to figure out 1986 or are you content not knowing?

Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I have pointed out what should be obvious but is not, I guess name-calling is to be expected of you.

Sometimes it's hard to follow one side of a conversation, when the second party is BLOCKED. So I occasionally temporarily UNBLOCK the person whose views are less than welcome, as are "CI's".

Bobby Jo

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... until the time of the end! -- Hmmmmmmm, I think that 1948 is approximate to the TIME OF THE END, and the Seal has been opened. In fact if the commentators hadn't convinced the ENTIRE christian community that the prophecies had ANCIENT fulfillments, we might be a lot closer to these prophecies which start at WWI, and include not only David Ben Gurion, but also the world's significant military and political events of the 1900's and into the 2000's.

Bobby Jo
My use of the book being sealed, was the to show the irony of those who insist on a literal meaning.

Why don't you just tell me about 1986?

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you have pointed out you think you have superior knowledge to others. And how wrong wrong wrong you are.
Says he who seems to have missed that no one is superior except Christ, but that God chooses the non-superior [individual] to deliver His revelations. Oh, and the one who has not figured out that the scriptures must be discerned spiritually, and takes it literally, even though the word itself declares it.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Says he who seems to have missed that no one is superior except Christ, but that God chooses the non-superior [individual] to deliver His revelations. Oh, and the one who has not figured out that the scriptures must be discerned spiritually, and takes it literally, even though the word itself declares it.

False accusations and claims.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... Why do you just tell me about 1986?

Dan. 11:30 For ships of Kittim shall come against him, and he shall be afraid and withdraw, and shall turn back and be enraged and take action against the holy covenant. He shall turn back and give heed to those who forsake the holy covenant. 31 Forces from him shall appear and profane the temple and fortress, and shall take away the continual burnt offering. And they shall set up the abomination that makes desolate.

Are you aware that in Daniel's day, on the island of Crete, the city of Kittim had the most powerful navy in the Mediterranean?

After the Berlin Disco bombing Reagan sent the U.S. naval carriers America and Coral Sea which launched 15 A-6 and A-7 (medium bomber and light attack) aircraft, for a coordinated attack with 18 Air Force F‑111 tactical bombers flying from England. The F‑111’s struck targets in Tripoli (including Khadafy’s headquarters, a military airbase, and a terrorist training base); and the A-6 and A-7’s struck targets in Benghazi (a command post and airbase).[1] (This attack occurred before the American and European civilians could be deployed as human shields.) The attack against Khadafy’s “headquarters” included his private residence. One of his children was killed in the residence, but Khadafy was in his ‘prayer’ tent on the lawn, unscathed.

Reagan’s justification was based on two intercepted cables between the Libyan embassy in East Berlin and Khadafy’s headquarters in Tripoli. The first was sent on April 4, advising Khadafy that a terrorist attack would occur the next day. The second cable was sent April 5, the day of the West Berlin disco bombing, advising Khadafy of the success “‘which could not be traced to Libyan people.’”[2]

Within five months of the Libyan attack, a particularly egregious act of terrorism occurred against Istanbul, Turkey’s, main Jewish synagogue, the “Jews of Neve Shalom.” On Saturday, September 6, 1986, at 9:20 a.m., two attackers, in their 20’s, entered the synagogue shortly after the start of services. They locked the main door behind them, and standing 30 feet apart, started spraying the all-male congregation, young and old, with machine gun fire. They killed 21, wounded 4 (one seriously), and left one 17 year old unscathed (he pretended to be dead). They then poured gasoline over seven of the bodies, and set fire. Finally, they pulled the pins on their handgrenades, and blew themselves apart. Seven rabbis were among the dead, and Istabul’s chief rabbi was wounded. The ten women upstairs were unharmed.

There was immediate widespread suspicion who these men were, and that “in such a well planned terrorist action that they had no accomplices.”[3] It was speculated that their automatic weapons and grenades entered Turkey through diplomatic means,[4] and although several groups claimed responsibility, Abu Nidal was the leading suspect. (As described previously; during 1985, Libya provided Abu Nidal a home base of operations which produced 33 attacks in which 90 people were killed and 350 wounded.) Fifteen months after this attack, an article in the U.S. News & World Report (without divulging the intelligence source) pointed to Abu Nidal as the culprit.[5]

[1] “Land-Based, Carrier Jets Flew in Raid,” Chicago Tribune, Albuquerque Journal, April 15, 1986. p. A2
[2] “Cables to Khadafy Provided Evidence,” L.A. Times & Washington Post Service, Albuquerque Journal, April 15, 1986, p. A1
[3] “Gunmen’s Identities Stump Investigators,”, A.P. - Istanbul, Turkey, Albuquerque Jorunal, Sept.9, 1986, p. A8
[4] IBID
[5] Patricia Cullen Clark, “Washington Whispers -- Abu Nidal, Challenging Arafat,” U.S. News & World Report, Nov. 30, 1987, p. 15

And this AoD is also cited in Psalms 86, in accordance with the J.R. Church "Hidden Prophecies In The Psalms" premise.

Bobby Jo

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is the "Abomination of Desolation"?
I have found this explanation very helpful.

Attachments

• What Is The Abomination Of Desolation.pdf
    309.9 KB · Views: 0

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you have to understand it was the Jews that had rejected what God had given them and fell into a abomination that caused the desolation. Antiochus, as already made clear, doesn't fit, as Jesus declared it looking forward in time, not backwards.

Now you are correct in comparing Daniels time of the destruction of the first temple. Christ points us to Daniel, and we see in Daniel 11:31: “31 And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.” Daniel 11:31(KJV)

What this shows as that the issue is tied to the relationship between God and His people and the accompanying worship to God, their rejection first of this, being contrary to the worship God deserves which caused the ruin of that nation. We see what it was in a warning given them previously:

Leviticus 26 King James Version (KJV)

1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the Lord your God.
2 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord.
3 If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them;
4 Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit.
5 And your threshing shall reach unto the vintage, and the vintage shall reach unto the sowing time: and ye shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely.
6 And I will give peace in the land, and ye shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid: and I will rid evil beasts out of the land, neither shall the sword go through your land....

...14 But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;
15 And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant:
16 I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it.
17 And I will set my face against you, and ye shall be slain before your enemies: they that hate you shall reign over you; and ye shall flee when none pursueth you.
18 And if ye will not yet for all this hearken unto me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins.
19 And I will break the pride of your power; and I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass:
20 And your strength shall be spent in vain: for your land shall not yield her increase, neither shall the trees of the land yield their fruits.
21 And if ye walk contrary unto me, and will not hearken unto me; I will bring seven times more plagues upon you according to your sins.
22 I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number; and your high ways shall be desolate.
23 And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things, but will walk contrary unto me;
24 Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins.
25 And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall avenge the quarrel of my covenant: and when ye are gathered together within your cities, I will send the pestilence among you; and ye shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy.
26 And when I have broken the staff of your bread, ten women shall bake your bread in one oven, and they shall deliver you your bread again by weight: and ye shall eat, and not be satisfied.
27 And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me;
28 Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.
29 And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.
30 And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you.
31 And I will make your cities waste, and bring your sanctuaries unto desolation, and I will not smell the savour of your sweet odours.
32 And I will bring the land into desolation: and your enemies which dwell therein shall be astonished at it."

At the time of Daniel they had what Solomon built for God what’s probably been the most magnificent sanctuary on earth. Yet Solomon also added worship places for his wives’ false gods in the start of what the Bible refers to as an “abomination.”

"For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites."1 Kings 11:5.

"Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon." 1 Kings 11:7.

Putting another god in place of the true God is abominable, it is a detestable act which leads to desolation when Gods protecting power is withdrawn. When Daniel wrote about the “abomination of desolation,” the first sanctuary or Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem had been destroyed in the attack of the Babylonians. But Daniel also wrote about the sanctuary being restored which was fulfilled by the rebuilding of the second temple, and they could again come and worship God.

But because of their sin and with the rejection of the Son of God, Christ the Messiah, they again reached a level of "Abomination" that was detestable to God. It led to the destruction of the Second Temple and thus the “Desolation” is the result of what you get without God.

Welcome to the forum @Hobie :)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We see this verse in Daniel 9:27 (KJV)

"27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate."

Christ refers to it in Matthew 24:15(KJV)

"15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand
smile.gif
"

The Jewish Rabbis have pushed the view that it was when in 167 B.C. a Greek ruler by the name of Antiochus Epiphanies set up an altar to Zeus over the altar of burnt offerings in the Jewish temple in Jerusalem. He also sacrificed a pig on the altar in the Temple in Jerusalem.

But it doesn't fit, as Jesus declared it looking forward in time, not backwards, and the Jewish nation continued along with the sacrifices as we see at the beginning of Matthew 24 as Jesus was telling the disciples what was going to happen:

Matthew 24 King James Version (KJV)1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

So lets start with what was this desolation that would befall them?

desolation

• a state of complete emptiness or destruction.
    "the stony desolation of the desert"
    synonyms: barrenness, bleakness, starkness, bareness, dismalness, grimness; Morearidity, sterility;
    wildness;
    isolation, solitude, solitariness, loneliness, remoteness
    "the arid, stony desolation of the Gobi desert"

antonyms: fertility
    • anguished misery or loneliness.
      "in choked desolation, she watched him leave"
      synonyms: misery, sadness, unhappiness, melancholy, gloom, gloominess, glumness, despondency, sorrow, depression, grief, mournfulness, woe; More

I see there are three pages so don't know if anyone else brought this up but, the reason why Antiochus Epiphanes IV is brought up is because he was a foreshadow of the future Antichrist and future abomination of desolation that both Jesus and Daniel spoke of in Daniel 9. But what is missed is in Daniel 8, is the prophecy of Antiochus Epiphanes IV and his own desolating the temple that Maccabees cleansed.

Daniel 8:
12 Because of transgression, an army was given over to the horn to oppose the daily sacrifices; and he cast truth down to the ground. He did all this and prospered.

13 Then I heard a holy one speaking; and another holy one said to that certain one who was speaking, “How long will the vision be, concerning the daily sacrifices and the transgression of desolation, the giving of both the sanctuary and the host to be trampled underfoot?”

14 And he said to me, “For two thousand three hundred days; then the sanctuary shall be cleansed.”

Edit: I just scanned through all the posts and no one mentioned Daniel 8 and this text, so hope this helps.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jewish Rabbis have pushed the view that it was when in 167 B.C. a Greek ruler by the name of Antiochus Epiphanies set up an altar to Zeus over the altar of burnt offerings in the Jewish temple in Jerusalem. He also sacrificed a pig on the altar in the Temple in Jerusalem.

But it doesn't fit, as Jesus declared it looking forward in time, not backwards, and the Jewish nation continued along with the sacrifices as we see at the beginning of Matthew 24 as Jesus was telling the disciples what was going to happen:

Antiochus Epiphanies did fulfill the idea, as a TYPE, even as the king of Babylon serves as a TYPE for the final Antichrist to come at the end of this world in the generation of Jesus' return.

Antiochus conquered Jerusalem, went into the 2nd temple and sacrificed swine on the altar, spread its broth around, and setup an idol to Zeus instead, which 'desolated' the temple, spiritually and physically. The abomination part refers to a placed idol, which makes God jealous (see Ezkeiel 8 & 9). But Antiochus did not fulfill all the parameters of the Daniel prophecy.

The fact that our Lord Jesus quoted from Daniel about the "abomination of desolation" around 200 years after Antiochus, reveals to look for another at the end of this world when He was giving those signs of the end in His Olivet discourse. It does not mean try and change the meaning of the "abomination of desolation" given in the Book of Daniel. It means our Lord Jesus made it easy for us, showing us what to look for with the final Antichrist to come, as Antiochus served as the blueprint.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...the reason why Antiochus Epiphanes IV is brought up is because he was a foreshadow of the future Antichrist and future abomination of desolation that both Jesus and Daniel spoke of in Daniel 9
As far as we know, neither Antiochus, nor Nero, nor any pope, nor any other Gentile actually sat in the temple of God claiming that he is God. So even calling Antiochus a "type" of the Antichrist is lame.

And then to claim that "the temple of God" is the Church and the Antichrist will sit in this temple is PREPOSTEROUS.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Neither AD 70 , nor 1948, nor 1986 have anything to do with the prophecy of the AOD.

And then for someone to call the crucifixion of Christ the Abomination of Desolation is ABOMINABLE. To say the least.

Why can't Christians handle Bible interpretation with a little bit of common sense (at the very least)?

Reactions: CoreIssue