What is the Difference in Faith and Beliefs?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Where is the line between faith and beliefs? It seems as though—the way we functionally define “beliefs,” anyway; as things that we believe might occur in the future—there is at least one important difference, that being time or setting; are there others?

How important is it to you that most of your beliefs may revolve around an expected future?
As opposed to faith, which happens now?
Can beliefs actually hinder faith?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where is the line between faith and beliefs? It seems as though—the way we functionally define “beliefs,” anyway; as things that we believe might occur in the future—there is at least one important difference, that being time or setting; are there others?

How important is it to you that most of your beliefs may revolve around an expected future?
Hey Mark,

I believe faith comes via hearing from the Lord. That said….it also says that to everyone theRe is given the measure of faith . So everyone has faith given but not every one activates it.

The God kind of believe is again by the hearing of the Spirit. If not it is just ‘a ‘ choice.
…we all have chosen which doctrine we have put into our spiritual bag. Over the last 50 years I have thrown away some of the things that I had collected in my ‘bag’. What is left is more solid for the doing of it.
That brings us to trust …can we have faith and belief without trust?
for me , trust is a heart thing …and rests on the solid conviction of who God is, and His very nature.

(Are you still in the middle of ski season…I presume yes. ) x

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is the line between faith and beliefs?
I believe measures of Faith is a gift from God, given to an individual who Hears the Word of God.
(Hearing, is most common, through the ears. Though reading I believe, is an acceptable method for one to receive the Word of God and measures of His gift of Faith.

It seems as though—the way we functionally define “beliefs,” anyway; as things that we believe might occur in the future—there is at least one important difference, that being time or setting; are there others?

The multitude of things from newborn forward, that we:
Hear, See, Smell, Touch, Taste....and Speak, affects, establishes, what any individuals Believes, at any given moment, and can change at any given moment.

The difference, imo, is: if whatever an individual is believing, from whatever source, IS IT, verifiable. IS IT in sync with Gods verifiable Teachings.

I hold a high importance on Gods Knowledge, that God has revealed.
Knowing an “expectation”, by all relevance of Gods Word, is the KEY to “preparation”. Being that, “preparation” is the KEY, to knowing, what will apply to oneself, and what will not apply to oneself...per the future expectation.

I see now AS the “preparation” time-line.

Yes.
Man-kind has a natural internal struggle. (A whole list of medical terms (anxiety, bi-polar, depression, on and on) to describe this internal conflict. And the medical profession has a plethora of treatments ( psychological, therapy, procedures, drug injection and oral regiments, experimental, on and on).

The internal conflict is between: thoughts, beliefs, past behaviors, currents behaviors, past experiences, present experiences....
between the carnal mind and the mans spirit in his heart.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me the simple answer is that "beliefs" are the things we hold as true, while "faith" is my reliance on those truths. I believe that I'm baptized into Christ, and I rely on that baptism into Christ to be my connection to God.

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Nhisname and Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me the simple answer is that "beliefs" are the things we hold as true, while "faith" is my reliance on those truths. I believe that I'm baptized into Christ, and I rely on that baptism into Christ to be my connection to God.

Much love!

As I mentioned, the internal conflict, and mans solution...
I did not mention Gods solution.

Freely Choose to allow the Lord to GIVE an individual that which He PAID the price for every man to HAVE, and every man to individually TAKE.

Being...His Forgiveness for having HAD, not believed.
Being...His Gift of salvation of ones soul.
Being...His Gift of a new Heart, a new spirit, a new Truth (Gods Truth)
Being...His Gift of His Spirit to dwell IN you, WITH you directing you, keeping you unto Himself.

...THE TOOLS ^^^ for that “internal” conflict, between the spirit of mans thoughts in his heart, and his carnal minds thought.

...what is a man “ABLE” to do with “those tools” with and IN him?
...MAKE his hearts thoughts, superior, overpowering, overcoming, his carnal minds thoughts.
...and what is the expected result?
...For a man to have accomplished; Having a MIND LIKE Christ.

God will Change the soul...it’s His. The Life in the soul, is Gods.
God will Change the natural spirit of man...to a Supernatural spirit...and The Life IN that spirit, is Gods Spirit, is Gods.

But the Carnal Mind, is mans. He has to decide what will guide his life (mans life is his body, his blood).

Even the Converted are exposed to 24-7...jump on board...hurry, hurry.

Mans conflict, is sometimes guided Carnally by ... oh, oh, sounds great, easy, profitable, blah, blah.
Mans conflict, is sometimes guided Spiritually by ... uh, sounds easy peasy, but sort of “underhanded”...uh, uh, maybe yes, later regrets, maybe no, just too fishy.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is the Difference in Faith and Beliefs?​

OP ^

Men can Carnally Believe ANYTHING. Any knowledge, Any information, Any likes, Any dislikes, regarding Anything....people, food, earth’s terrain, cities, buildings, churches, speeches, books, movies, friendships, enemies, hair styles, clothing styles, homes, vehicles, animals, on and on...even WHO is the Creator and Maker of man-kind.

Men can Choose to Limit (or not) their Beliefs about the Creation and Making of man-kind, being the Heavenly Lord Gods Works, or Not.

Faith,
is an express gift offered to man-kind, FROM the Heavenly Lord God, for every man-kind of person, WHO elects (freely chooses), to BELIEVE the Heavenly Lord God IS, their creator and maker.

Glory to God,

Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is the Difference in Faith and Beliefs?​

OP ^

Men can Carnally Believe ANYTHING. Any knowledge, Any information, Any likes, Any dislikes, regarding Anything....people, food, earth’s terrain, cities, buildings, churches, speeches, books, movies, friendships, enemies, hair styles, clothing styles, homes, vehicles, animals, on and on...even WHO is the Creator and Maker of man-kind.

Men can Choose to Limit (or not) their Beliefs about the Creation and Making of man-kind, being the Heavenly Lord Gods Works, or Not.

Faith,
is an express gift offered to man-kind, FROM the Heavenly Lord God, for every man-kind of person, WHO elects (freely chooses), to BELIEVE the Heavenly Lord God IS, their creator and maker.

Glory to God,

Taken
Good answer!

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Taken

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FAITH

Strong's Greek Dictionary
4102. πίστις pistis (pístis)

Search for G4102 in KJVSL; in KJV.

πίστις pístis, pis'-tis

from G3982; persuasion, i.e. credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly, constancy in such profession; by extension, the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself:—assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

feminine noun

Example of the Greek word used to define faith, a NOUN is demonstrated in the following verse which shows us where this thing called 'faith' comes from. Remember the rules of grammar a noun is a person, place or thing. "according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."

Romans 12:3 (KJV) For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

BELIEVE

Strong's Greek Dictionary
4100. πιστεύω pisteuo (pisteúō)

Search for G4100 in KJVSL; in KJV.

πιστεύω pisteúō, pist-yoo'-o

from G4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), i.e. credit; by implication, to entrust (especially one's spiritual well-being to Christ):—believe(-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

verb

When fallen mankind has been endowed with faith unto salvation that comes to man according to God's grace, then his/her 'faith' become 'belief' or believing that is a verb. Again remembering the rules of grammar a 'verb' shows action. Believing Christ is what man MUST do to be saved, but only the man imputed with faith from God upon hearing the Gospel through the power of the Spirit will believe.

Acts 16:31 (KJV) And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Faith is the expected future, belief is the here and now.

Biblem

Mar 26, 2023
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
For many of us, faith is a central part of our lives. We turn to God for strength and guidance in difficult times, and we find comfort in His presence. But who is God, really? And how do we find Him? Is God in heaven?

These are big questions, and there is no easy answer. But the journey to a deeper faith is worth taking, and it’s different for everyone. There’s....

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, fortunately, the Greek word that is translated to the English 'faith' is defined for us by God Himself in Hebrews 11:1 as, "the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." The question then is, where ~ or from whom ~ do we get this assurance and conviction? Do we assure or convict ourselves? :) I would say no... and ~ at least in my opinion ~ Paul affirms that in Ephesians 2:8 when he writes, "by grace (we) have been saved through faith... (a)nd this is not (our) own doing; it is the gift of God..." So, in answer to the original question, it seems to me irrefutable that our belief ~ as well as our good works ~ are the inevitable result of God's working faith in us.

Grace and peace to all!

Reactions: rwb