What is The Guff

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
The "guff" is a term the Talmud uses to refer to the repository of all unborn souls. Literally, the word "guff" means "body." The Talmud says, "The Son of David (Mashiach) will not arrive until there's no more 'soul' in the 'body.' " This means that there are a certain number of souls in heaven waiting to be born........................................................................................................I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about this subject and what it means and where this teaching comes it comes from.

Fox

Feb 7, 2007
It is rarely spoken about in its true context. It is a slice of Jewish mystical thinking, much like the Kabbalah, not meant to be taken literally or out of its original context. And its original context is in Yevamot 62a, which is concerned with the Mitzvah for Jewish women of Pru U'rvu, "procreation" (literally, be fruitful and multiply.) There is no real concensus in rabbinical teachings however as to whether procreation is a command in order to populate the world in general, or whether there is a requirement for a finite and predetermined number of children to be born in order to fulfil the conditions for Moshiach's return. The actual mention of the guf is in passing, and merely as an allegorical illustration. Its mention in the movie, "The Seventh Sign" elevated it far beyond its intended station!
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
So Fox would you say this is losley related to verse's that speak of God knowing the very number of hairs on your head and others that elude to the fact that God only created a certain number of souls?

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
Kriss the guf was a part of my meditation this morning....I was pondering the end of days , praying for the true peace of Jerusalem.. when I was reminded that all souls were created in the beginning ( the first earth age) and all were to be "born from above" all will be born of woman except for the Nephyllium which becasue of their diobedience are condemned to die along with HaSatan. So the end of days cannot begin until all are born, (this was the premise of the movie Fox spoke of.) But from a common sense view whether the guf is real or not ,the souls must have a finite number...we know where our souls come from ...I have heard some say that evil so prevalent now because God has allowed the souls of the ones who rebelled with HaSatan to be living on the earth now so they will have to again make the decision for or against HaSatan while he is here in fact as the Antichrist. But the guf... it makes sense that one day there will be no souls left to be born of woman.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks so much Fox and Betchevy for your answers.Betchevy how strange I havent seen that movie for years,I wasn't even sure if there was such a thing as the Guff this morning while praying it kept popping into my mind I couldn't remember where I heard the word. So I googled it and was reminded of the movie. Then I saw the link that gave me the above definition was a little surprised to find out it was a real thing. Then you tell me you were meditating about it. uhmmmm.

Fox

Feb 7, 2007
I've been on mssngr most of tonight with some friends in Israel, planning my next trip back there, and I asked one of them - who is far better read than I'll ever be - about it. He was of the opinion that on the one hand, it is a fictional thing, but also pointed out that an omnipotent G-d will know exactly how many births and deaths are required before Moshiach comes so why would He have a limitless "supply" of souls? In which case its inclusion in Yevamot would make sense from a number of viewpoints - have more children = hasten the coming of Moshiach; also, have children while you still can, one day there will be no more?I'm not a rabbinical mind, and I'm too young for Kaballah - its a little beyond me
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks for taking the time to ask Fox and I agree with your train of thoughtit would not make sense for God to just keep creating new souls. I envy your trip,Oh well someday:)