What is the Lords Day?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people claim that this proves the Sabbath was changed using this verse..
Revelation 1:10
I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
I don't know of anyone that claims the Sabbath was changed to Sunday.
The Sabbath and the Lord's Day are two different things.

This issue was addressed in Acts chapter 15 at the Jerusalem Council.
Or at least it was SUPPOSED to be settled. But here you are...

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know of anyone that claims the Sabbath was changed to Sunday.
The Sabbath and the Lord's Day are two different things.

This issue was addressed in Acts chapter 15 at the Jerusalem Council.
Or at least it was SUPPOSED to be settled. But here you are...
Have we looked at Acts chapter 15 in this topic yet? Well worth it.
Let's begin with a short section and see where this goes. (text at the bottom)

In verse 5 we see what I am pointing to. "... required to keep the law of Moses."
Well, are we, or are we not, as gentiles, required to keep the law of Moses?
That is the question addressed here.

After some discussion Peter asks quite emphatically,
"... why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles
a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear
?"

The answer to the question addressed here is...
No, the gentiles are NOT required to keep the law of Moses.

Acts 15:5-11 NIV
Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said,
“The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.”
6 The apostles and elders met to consider this question.
7 After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them:
“Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you
that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.
8 God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them
by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.
9 He did not discriminate between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith.
10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles
?
11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus
that we are saved, just as they are.”

Reactions: mailmandan

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have we looked at Acts chapter 15 in this topic yet? Well worth it.
Let's begin with a short section and see where this goes. (text at the bottom)

In verse 5 we see what I am pointing to. "... required to keep the law of Moses."
Well, are we, or are we not, as gentiles, required to keep the law of Moses?
That is the question addressed here.

After some discussion Peter asks quite emphatically,
"... why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles
?"

The answer to the question addressed here is...
No, the gentiles are NOT required to keep the law of Moses.

Acts 15:5-11 NIV
Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said,
“The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.”
6 The apostles and elders met to consider this question.
7 After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them:
“Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you
that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.
8 God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them
by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.
9 He did not discriminate between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith.
10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles
?
11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus
that we are saved, just as they are.”
I suppose the response will be to claim that the law of Moses was DIFFERENT than
the law God gave to the Israelites alone through Moses. This will need to be proved.
Good luck, you'll need it. - LOL

Reactions: mailmandan

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many days in the week though? I think that varied from calendar to calendar.
Almost always seven.

Most calendars during the Bronze and Iron Age were lunar-based. Since the lunar month is 28 days, it gets split into half-months (14 days) and weeks (7).

Even non-lunar calendars still use the 7-day week. The Amorite calendar had 7 jubilees each year, where each jubilee was 7 weeks.
We need to remember that mythologies attempt to explain why things are the way they are now.
Yes.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Almost always seven.

Most calendars during the Bronze and Iron Age were lunar-based. Since the lunar month is 28 days, it gets split into half-months (14 days) and weeks (7).

Even non-lunar calendars still use the 7-day week. The Amorite calendar had 7 jubilees each year, where each jubilee was 7 weeks.

Yes.
I seem to remember the Roman week being longer. A nine day week. Eight days, plus a day for market.
Not sure how it effected their empire outside of Rome, the city.

According to most Roman accounts, their original calendar was established by their legendary first king Romulus. It consisted of ten months, beginning in spring with March and leaving winter as an unassigned span of days before the next year. These months each had 30 or 31 days and ran for 38 nundinal cycles, each forming a kind of eight-day week—nine days counted inclusively in the Roman manner—and ending with religious rituals and a public market.

Source: Roman calendar - Wikipedia

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I seem to remember the Roman week being longer. A nine day week. Eight days, plus a day for market.
Not sure how it effected their empire outside of Rome, the city.

According to most Roman accounts, their original calendar was established by their legendary first king Romulus. It consisted of ten months, beginning in spring with March and leaving winter as an unassigned span of days before the next year. These months each had 30 or 31 days and ran for 38 nundinal cycles, each forming a kind of eight-day week—nine days counted inclusively in the Roman manner—and ending with religious rituals and a public market.

Source: Roman calendar - Wikipedia
I almost mentioned that in my last post, but decided against it because

(a) Rome doesn't really come into its own until the Iron Age is over, and

(b) most of the people living under Roman rule still used the 7-day week.

I believe even Rome itself eventually abandoned their nindunal cycle in favor of the standard week.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm, came across this which hits on the issue when it comes to those who say they follow Gods Word..
"...Letter from the Roman Catholic Church...We all like to receive mail. Here is a letter from the Roman Catholic Church, originally published in America in 1869. The message was written to Protestants and is forceful and to the point, with lots of Scriptural proofs for its position."

I am going to propose a very plain and serious question to those who follow "the Bible and the Bible only" to give their most earnest attention. It is this: Why do you not keep holy the Sabbath Day?

The command of Almighty God stands clearly written in the Bible in these words: "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work; but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God; in it thou shalt not do any work" (Exodus xx. 8-10).
And again, "Six days shall work be done; but on the seventh day there shall be unto you an holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the Lord; whosover doeth work therein shall be put to death" (Exodus xxxv. 2, 3).

How strict and precise is God's commandment upon this head! [in this matter!] No work whatever was to be done on the day which He had chosen to set apart for Himself and to make holy. And, accordingly, when the children of Israel "found a man that gathered sticks upon the Sabbath day," "the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp" (Numbers xv. 32, 35). Such being God's command, then I ask again: Why do you not obey it? Why do you not keep holy the Sabbath day?

You will answer me, perhaps, that you do keep holy the Sabbath day; for that you abstain from all worldly business and diligently go to church, and say your prayers, and read your Bible at home, every Sunday of your lives.

But Sunday is not the Sabbath day. Sunday is the first day of the week; the Sabbath day is the seventh day of the week. Almighty God did not give a commandment that men should keep holy one day in seven; but He named His own day, and said distinctly: 'Thou shalt keep holy the seventh day,' and He assigned a reason for choosing this day rather than any other-a reason which belongs only to the seventh day of the week, and cannot be applied to the rest. He says "For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day; wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it" [Exodus xx. 11].

Almighty God ordered that all men should rest from their labor on the seventh day, because He too had rested on that day; He did not rest on Sunday, but on Saturday. On Sunday, which is the first day of the week, He began the work of creation, He did not finish it [then]; it was on Saturday that He "ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made" (Genesis ii. 2). Nothing can be more plain and easy to understand than all this; and there is nobody who attempts to deny it; it is acknowledged by everybody that the day which Almighty God appointed to be kept holy was Saturday, not Sunday. Why do you then keep holy the Sunday, and not Saturday?

You will tell me that Saturday was the Jewish Sabbath [God gave the Bible Sabbath to mankind 2,000 years before the first Jew existed], but that the Christian Sabbath has been changed to Sunday; changed! but by whom? Who has authority to change an express commandment of Almighty God? When God has spoken and said, Thou shalt keep holy the seventh day, who shall dare to say, Nay, thou mayest work and do all manner of worldly business on the seventh day; but thou shalt keep holy the first day in its stead? This is a most important question, which I know not how you can answer.

You are a Protestant, and you profess to go by the Bible and Bible only; and yet in so important a matter as the observance of one day in seven as a holy day, you go against the plain letter of the Bible, and put another day in the place of that day which the Bible has commanded. The command to keep holy the seventh day is one of the Ten Commandments. You believe that the other nine are still binding; but who gave you authority to tamper with the fourth? If you are consistent with your own principles, if you really follow the Bible and the Bible only, you ought to be able to produce some portion of the New Testament in which this fourth commandment is expressly altered......

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
......Let us see whether any such passages can be found. I will look for them in the writings of your own [Protestant] champions, who have attempted to defend your practice in this matter.

1. The first text which I find quoted upon the subject is this: "Let no man judge you in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days" (Colossians ii. 16). [That refers to the ceremonial-sacrificial-yearly sabbaths of Leviticus 23, which were done away at the cross.] I could understand a Bible Christian imagining from this passage, that we ought to make no difference between Saturday, Sunday, and every other day of the week. But not one syllable does it say about the obligation of the Sabbath being transferred from one day to another.

. Secondly, the words of St. John are quoted, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day (Apocalypse [Revelation] i. 10). Is it possible that anybody can for a moment imagine that here is a safe and clear rule for changing the weekly day of worship from the seventh to the first day? This passage is utterly silent upon such a subject; it only give Scriptural authority for calling some one day in particular (it does not even say which day) "the Lord's day."

3. Next we are reminded that St. Paul bade his Corinthian converts, "upon the first day of the week, lay by them in store, that there might be no gatherings" when he himself came (1 Corinthians xvi. 2). How is this supposed to affect the law of the Sabbath? It commands a certain act of almsgiving [doing one's finances at home] to be done on the first day of the week. It says absolutely nothing about not doing certain other acts of prayer and public worship on the seventh day.

. But, you will say, it was "on the first day of the week" when the disciples were assembled within closed doors for fear of the Jews, and Jesus stood in the midst of them" (John xx. 19). What is there in these facts to do away with the obligation of keeping holy the seventh day? Our Lord rose from the dead on the first day of the week, and on the same day at evening He appears to many of His disciples. Let Protestants, if they will [in obedience to Catholic tradition], keep holy the first day of the week in grateful commemoration of that stupendous mystery, the Resurrection of Christ, and of the evidences which He vouchsafed to give of it to His doubting disciples; but this is no scriptural authority for ceasing to keep holy another day of the week which God had expressly commanded to be kept holy for another and altogether different reason.

. But lastly, we have the example of the Apostles themselves. "Upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow, and continued his speech until midnight" (Acts xx. 7). Here we have clear proof that the disciples heard a sermon on a Sunday. But is that not proof they had done the same on the Saturdays also? [Acts xiii. 14, 42-44; xvi. 12-13; xvii. 1-2; xviiii. 1-4, 11]. [After the night meeting on the first day in Troas (Acts xx. 7), Paul held a meeting on Tuesday in Miletus (Acts xx. 17-38). But no one considers that meeting sacred.]

You will say, is it not expressly written concerning those early Christians, that they "continued daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house?" (Acts ii. 46). As a matter of fact, do we not know from other sources that, in many parts of the church, the ancient Christians were in the habit of meeting together for public worship, and to perform the other [religious] offices, on Saturdays? Again then, I say, [in obedience to our command] let Protestants keep holy, if they will their first day of the week; but let them remember that this cannot possible release them from the obligation of keeping holy another day which Almighty God has ordered to be kept holy, because on that day He "rested from all His work." [The Troas meeting was held on Sunday in Acts 20:7, just prior to a Miletus meeting on Tuesday in Acts 20:17-38, although no one today keeps Tuesday sacred because of that meeting].

I do not know of any other passages of holy Scripture which Protestants are in the habit of quoting to defend their practice of keeping holy the first day of the week instead of the seventh; yet, surely those which I have quoted are not such as should satisfy any reasonable man, who looks upon the written word of God as they [the Protestants] profess to look upon it, namely, as the only appointed means of learning God's will, and who really desires to learn and to obey that will in all things with humbleness and simplicity of heart. For in spite of all that anyone might say to the contrary, it is fully and absolutely impossible that a reasonable and thoughtful person should be satisfied, by the texts that I have quoted, that Almighty God intended the obligation of Saturday to be transferred to Sunday. And yet Protestants do so transfer it, and never seem to have the slightest misgivings lest, in doing so, they should be guilty of breaking one of God's commandments.

Why is this? Because, although they talk so largely about following the Bible and Bible only, they are really guided in this matter by the voice of [Roman Catholic] tradition. Yes, much as they may hate and denounce the word [tradition], they have in fact no other authority to allege for this most important change....

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....The present generation of Protestants keep Sunday holy instead of Saturday, because they received it as part of the Christian religion from the last generation, and that generation received it from the generation before, and so on backwards from one generation to another, by a continual succession, until we come to the time of the so-called "Reformation," when it so happened that those who conducted the change of religion [from Catholicism to Protestantism] left this particular portion of Catholic faith and practice untouched.

But, had it happened otherwise,-had some one or other of the "Reformers" taken it into his head to denounce the observance of Sunday as a Popish corruption and superstition, and to insist upon it that Saturday was the day which God had appointed to be kept holy, and that He had never authorized the observance of any other,-all Protestants would have been obliged, in obedience to their professed principle of following "the Bible and the Bible only," either to acknowledge this teaching as true, and to return to the observance of the ancient Sabbath, or else to deny that there is any Sabbath at all. And so, in like manner, any one at the present day who should set about, honestly and without prejeduce, to draw up for himself a form of religious belief and practice out of the written Word of God, must needs come to the same conclusion: He must either believe that the seventh-day Sabbath is still binding upon men's consciences, because of the Divine command, 'Thou shalt keep holy the seventh day,' or he must believe that no Sabbath at all is binding upon them. [Paul would have no right to abolish any of the Ten Commandments.] Either one of these conclusions he might come to;-but he would know nothing whatever of a "Christian Sabbath" distinct from the Biblical Sabbath, [that is] celebrated on a different day, and observed in a different manner,-simply because Holy Scripture itself nowhere speaks of such a thing.

Now, mind, in all this you would greatly misunderstand me if you supposed I was quarrelling with you for acting in this matter on a true and right principle,-in other words, a Catholic principle (viz., the acceptance, without hesitation, of that which has been handed down to you by an unbroken tradition). I would not tear from you a single one of those shreds and fragments of Divine truth [Catholic truth] which you have retained. God forbid! They are the most precious things you possess, and by God's blessing may serve as clues to bring you out of that labyrinth of [Protestant] error in which you find yourselves involved, far more by the fault of your forefathers three centuries ago [when they left Rome during the sixteenth-century Reformation] than by your own.

What I do quarrel with you for, is not your inconsistency in occasionally acting on a true principle [such as Roman Catholic Sundaykeeping], but your adoption, as a general rule of a false one [your Protestant refusal to accept the rest of Roman traditional teachings; such as the Mass and the veneration of saints]. You keep the Sunday, and not the Saturday; and you do so rightly, for this was the practice of all Christians when Protestantism began [Catholic leaders erroneously say there were no Protestants prior to the sixteenth century]; but you have abandoned other Catholic observances which were equally universal at that day, preferring the novelties introduced by the men who invented Protestantism, to the unvarying tradition of above 1500 years [of Catholic teaching]. We blame you not for making Sunday your weekly holyday instead of Saturday, but for rejecting tradition [the sayings of the popes and councils of Rome], which is the only safe and clear rule by which this observance [of Sunday] can be justified.

In outward act we do the same as yourselves in this matter; we too no longer observe the Sabbath, but Sunday in its stead; but there is this important difference between us, that we do not pretend-as you do-to derive our authority for so doing from a book [the Bible], but we [Catholics] derive it from a living teacher, and that teacher is the [Roman Catholic] Church. Moreover, we believe that not everything which God would have us to know and to do is written in the Bible, but that there is also an unwritten word of God [the sayings of popes and councils and canonized saints], which we are bound to believe and to obey . .

We Catholics, then, have precisely the same authority for keeping Sunday holy instead of Saturday as we have for every other article of our creed, namely, the authority of "the Church of the living God, and ground of truth" (1 Timothy iii. 15); whereas you who are Protestants have really no authority for it [Sunday sacredness] whatever; for there is no authority for it in the Bible, and you will not allow that there can be authority for it anywhere else. Both you and we do, in fact, follow [Catholic] tradition in this matter; but we follow it, believing it to be a part of God's word, and the [Catholic] Church to be its divinely appointed guardian and interpreter. You follow it [Catholicism], denouncing it all the time as a fallible and treacherous guide which often "makes the commandment of God of none effect" (Matthew xv. 6).

-"Why Don't You Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?" pages 3-15, in The Clifton Tracts, Vol. 4, published by the Roman Catholic Church. Originally released in North America in 1869 through the T. W. Strong Publishing Company of New York City, so that those outside the papal fold might return to the not partial, but full, authority of the Mother Church of the Vatican

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New thread available. (shameless self-promotion)

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pharisees hated Jesus because He didn't keep the Sabbath.
Jesus actually kept the Sabbath. The Pharisees hated Jesus because He did not support their legalism. Jesus said, “the Son of man is Lord of the Sabbath.” This statement was in response to the accusation by the Pharisees that Jesus' disciples were breaking the law regarding resting on the Sabbath while going through the fields and plucking heads of grain. (Matthew 12:1-8; Mark 2:23-28; Luke 6:1-5) Jesus responded to them by giving an example from the Old Testament in which David was once in need of food and was given consecrated bread that was only lawful for the priests to eat. (1 Samuel 21:1-6)

The bread served a practical need for David and his men, just as with Jesus and His disciples, the grain served a practical need. David and his men were not acting sinfully in eating the showbread, and neither were Jesus’ disciples by plucking heads of grain on the Sabbath.

Jesus was rebuking the accusing Pharisees who had turned the Sabbath into a burden by adding restrictions beyond what God’s law said. The disciples had not broken God’s law, but merely violated the Pharisees’ own legalistic, interpretation of the law. Jesus reminded the Pharisees of the original intent of the Sabbath.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus actually kept the Sabbath.
I don't agree with that.

Eye witnesses say he didn't.
And he did nothing to correct their perception.
Even the witness of the Apostle John say he didn't.

John 9:16 NIV
Some of the Pharisees said, “This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath.”
But others asked, “How can a sinner perform such signs?” So they were divided.

John 5:18 NIV
For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath,
but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.
The bread served a practical need for David and his men, just as with Jesus and His disciples, the grain served a practical need. David and his men were not acting sinfully in eating the showbread, and neither were Jesus’ disciples by plucking heads of grain on the Sabbath.
Right. It wasn't sinning...
but it was breaking Sabbath.

Perhaps your concern is that Jesus needed to be sinless?
But as you say, meeting practical needs (WHEN NECESSARY) is not sinful.

In the John chapter five example above, Jesus answered the accusation of work on the Sabbath with self-incrimination.
As we know, work on the Sabbath is the most basic violation. Yet Jesus declares.

John 5:16-17 NIV
So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him.
17 In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus actually kept the Sabbath. The Pharisees hated Jesus because He did not support their legalism. Jesus said, “the Son of man is Lord of the Sabbath.” This statement was in response to the accusation by the Pharisees that Jesus' disciples were breaking the law regarding resting on the Sabbath while going through the fields and plucking heads of grain. (Matthew 12:1-8; Mark 2:23-28; Luke 6:1-5) Jesus responded to them by giving an example from the Old Testament in which David was once in need of food and was given consecrated bread that was only lawful for the priests to eat. (1 Samuel 21:1-6)

Jesus was rebuking the accusing Pharisees who had turned the Sabbath into a burden by adding restrictions beyond what God’s law said. The disciples had not broken God’s law, but merely violated the Pharisees’ own legalistic, interpretation of the law. Jesus reminded the Pharisees of the original intent of the Sabbath.
4th commandment- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

I know the old testament very well. You know that David was a prophet, right, he carried an ephod, he talked with God in the beginning. Ahimelech was afraid when saw David, why? Because he is Sauls son in law and David was well known and it was known David would be King. Kings had dominion over the temple( King David appointed 24 priests). Ahimelech was killed by Saul . When Samuel anointed David King, the Holy Spirit came upon David and never departed. Jesus told the Truth, but David was special and none other like him.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The other issue is the sun was not created on day one. So how long was that "day"?
I heard someone explain that there is more than one definition of "day" in the Hebrew.
He claimed that several definitions were used over the creation week.
But there is still the problem of a sunset and sunrise.
Which is an odd order. Probably to support the Sabbath pointing to creation.

As I understand it, Eve didn't have children until they were put out of the garden.
Otherwise they would have needed a baby sitter for the Fall. - LOL
Maybe that's why the price of daycare is hell-to-pay. (by the sweat of your brow)
Spot on about the sun.

I have questioned for a very long time if God had a plan for this creation of His why , when plant life was going to be expected to grow was light created on Day 1... then 72 hours later after plant life was in place came the sun on day 4. WE ALL know that sun is needed for growth. Why wait to create the sun which was needed when on day one God would know it was needed.....

I am avoiding another odd wording for how evening and morning came about as we read ...
(posting not for comment but puzzle pieces that seem oddly with out sense.

"And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night" with day being mentioned first, yet
"And the evening and the morning were the first day." indicates the timing of a day to be starting at night.

Duplicated with

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night;" again day being mentioned first yet

"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night:", day still being mentioned first yet

"And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness" day before night.........

But then the initial formula for calling days....." And the evening and the morning were the fourth day."

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am avoiding another odd wording for how evening and morning came about as we read ...
(posting not for comment but puzzle pieces that seem oddly with out sense.

"And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night" with day being mentioned first, yet
"And the evening and the morning were the first day." indicates the timing of a day to be starting at night.

Duplicated with

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night;" again day being mentioned first yet

"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night:", day still being mentioned first yet

"And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness" day before night.........

But then the initial formula for calling days....." And the evening and the morning were the fourth day."
Moses wrote Genesis. (supposedly)
The creation account points to the Sabbath. (not vice versa)
The Sabbath is kept from sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday, by our weekly calendar.
So, that may be the reason for the days being measured from sundown to sun up.
Which is actually a night and NOT a day. - LOL
Weird. Go figure.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God only gives one day as the Sabbath in His Commandments, and nowhere does He changed that, its that simple.
Exodus 20:8
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Hobie.

I agree that the Sabbath was commanded to the Jews, and Orthodox Jews to this day still observe their Sabbaths.

No matter if you believe that God Himself declared this in Gen 2, or that it was the Word (Jesus) it still was of Jewish origin.

Jesus , Himself, said in Mathew 15:24

But He answered and said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

NOT US INITIALLY.

And this is very significant when you think about this...... God's chosen had their messiah sent to them
through the bloodline of David... and He taught in the synagogues and he celebrated all the Jewish holidays,
and every apostle was Jewish.

It was not until we were grafted into the tree that we had the opportunity to achieve salvation. NOT BEFORE...

That Sunday morning when the tomb was found empty... we have no idea of when Jesus was resurrected....
was the first day that anyone living actually saw Him and spoke with Him to me was a new beginning.

I do not celebrate the Sabbath, that was originally for God's chosen.... I celebrate the Day of the Lord, which
was the confirmation of all I have been taught about Jesus.

You will say I am wrong.....

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.
Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
You are referencing to this from the Sermon on the Mount? The sermon meant to teach the multitudes
of people who came to hear him? The sermon meant to also teach his disciples?

The sermon directed at a decisively Jewish crowd.

Obviously so because of Jesus own words...."17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. "

The Jews who lived and breathed the Law because that was how it had been handed down over the generations...

And the Jews, not the Gentiles for Jesus had said in Mathew 10:5
These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans;

WE.... you and I... were not in contention for His attention Yet. WE were not his chosen..... we were grafted in .

Go re-read Romans 10 and 11.

(This is the most solid argument against Predestination I can think of..... (at least in the Calvin vein of things)

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses wrote Genesis. (supposedly)
I think that's more of a tradition than Scripture. It seems to originate with Philo of Alexandria in the 1st century.

Deuteronomy claims internally to have been at least partly written by Moses.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus , Himself, said in Mathew 15:24

But He answered and said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

NOT US INITIALLY.
The House of Israel is not the Jews (they are the House of Judah).

The House of Israel is the northern kingdom - the one the Assyrians destroyed. At the time Jesus said that, the House of Israel hadn't existed for hundreds of years. He made it exist again by adopting Gentiles to create it anew.

...and every apostle was Jewish.
I don't remember the tribes of every apostle being given? I know Paul was from the tribe of Benjamin. It is insinuated in several places that 12 disciples were chosen to rule over the 12 tribes.

It was not until we were grafted into the tree that we had the opportunity to achieve salvation. NOT BEFORE...

That Sunday morning when the tomb was found empty... we have no idea of when Jesus was resurrected....
was the first day that anyone living actually saw Him and spoke with Him to me was a new beginning.

I do not celebrate the Sabbath, that was originally for God's chosen.... I celebrate the Day of the Lord, which
was the confirmation of all I have been taught about Jesus.
The Sabbath commandment doesn't say to celebrate, or to have services, or even to come together. It says to REST on that day.

Jewish tradition added a lot of garbage to the commandment that made it labor instead of rest, but we shouldn't act like that stuff was actually commanded.

The sermon directed at a decisively Jewish crowd.

Obviously so because of Jesus own words...."17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. "
The Sermon on the Mount was given in Galilee of the Gentiles. It isn't part of Judah. There were Jews there, but Matthew gives the impression that the majority of the crowd was local:

And there followed him great multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judaea, and from beyond Jordan. (Matt 4:25)