What is the Lords Day?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good morning @Randy Kluth and @Hobie

Randy.... you say... "
"We all know that in the OT the Sabbath Day was set aside as a respected day of the week. And so, weekly cycles became important in Jewish culture. We do not need a boatload of verses to prove this. It is an established and well-known part of Jewish Law."

But you neglect to post the reason this was done....

Gen 2:1-3
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts.

2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

AND

The ten commandments #4...
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.

For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

But most fail to acknowledge that the Fri 6PM to Sat 6PM Sabbath came about at the end of God's creation of all things... and was reaffirmed, in stone, when Moses was on Mt. Sinai... and are recorded not just in Exodus 20 but also Deuteronomy 5

Where the 4th commandment there reads

12 ‘Observe the sabbath day to keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you.
13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
14 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant or your ox or your donkey or any of your cattle or your sojourner who [k]stays with you, so that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you.
15 You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to observe the sabbath day.

With the addition over the Exodus account of

"You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to observe the sabbath day."

People fail to remember that the original 10 were given to God's chosen... at a time when we... those grafted in... were not known about.

Jesus came and said.... he did not come to replace the law, but to fulfill the law. (Matthew 5:17)

Jesus also said in Matthew 15:24 ... But He answered and said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

HE DID NOT COME FOR you, me, or the POPE... (Sorry Frankie) It was not until that we were grafted into the tree and the potential of born again/salvation was extended to us.

Romans 11: 11... I say then, they did not stumble so as to fall, did they? May it never be! But by their transgression salvation has come to the Gentiles, to make them jealous

12 Now if their transgression is riches for the world and their failure is riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their fulfillment be!
13 But I am speaking to you who are Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry,
14 if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them.
15 For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? 16 If the first piece of dough is holy, the lump is also; and if the root is holy, the branches are too.

That is precisely why I feel that when Jesus was crucified and was found out of the tomb on a Sunday morning, after AFTER the end of a Sabbath... that it is not only appropriate but imperative for us to embrace the "Son of God" which we know as God the Son....

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree,
18 do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you.
19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.”
20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear;
21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.
22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.
23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.
24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

He, Christ Jesus, is the one who made it possible for US to have an eternity in heaven....

He is the one who said in John 14: 13-14
13 “Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 “If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

Just like God's original chosen were commanded to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy... And that is from Friday night to Saturday night (approx 6PM each) .... not Saturday as some would claim. {It was they who were commanded that.... and we as being grafted in will not be considered equal to them)

It is of equal importance... IF NOT MORE SO ... that we who were grafted into the tree with God's chosen
worship Christ Jesus on the day we found his tomb to be empty, and prophecy was fulfilled, to worship Him who has made our salvation possible.... on the day that began the surity of our slavation.

As we are told in

1 Peter 1:3-4

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy chas caused us to be born again to da living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,​

4 to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,

It is by the resurrection of Christ Jesus that we have hope.
According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you…

Being forgiven of sin and justified before God gives Christians tremendous hope. Christians are changed from being an enemy of God bound for hell, to a forgiven child of God with an eternal inheritance in heaven that can never be taken away. What can be better news than that?

We owe HIM our devotion and certainly a day unto itself for praise.​

If you, or any feel so strongly about the Sabbath of Genesis and Exodus... by all means continue... but you should also consider extending you worship by one day in honor of what was done for you that came to an end on a Sunday over 2000 years ago.
He made the Sabbath for man at Creation, and the other six days so they could do their tasks, and if we claim we can change Gods law to fit mans ideas, who are we following. God or man...

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was no change of day of worship for the Jews. The Gentile Christians were not given the Law to abide by, that was too much a yoke for the Jews to handle.
The Sabbath is part of the Law.
The yoke of the Jews is the Law.
The yoke that Jesus wants us to put on is grace.
Acts 15:10
Since this is the case, why are you putting God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our forefathers nor we have been able to bear?

The "Jews ... out of the synagogue" ...
I don't go to a synagogue.

Of course the Disciples who taught in Jerusalem or any other city that had a synagogue, gave the message there. But the entire Gentile world did not attend synagogue nor were they required to keep the Sabbath ( part of the Law).. They met in any day and wherever, outside, by a river or a lake.

The RESURRECTION on Sunday set a precedent. Jesus greatest achievement happened on that day!

On the evening of that first day of the week, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”

After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.
Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit." JOHN 20:18-22

The appearance of Christ, His fellowship, a blessing and a commission accompanied by the Holy Spirit and their worship of Him ... sure sounds like an appropriate day to begin anew.
A week later, Thomas sees Him as well and worships Him.
JESUS IS OUR SABBATH REST.
After his resurrection, Jesus appeared to them ten times within a 40 day period. Why didn't He appear to them on the Sabbath or in a synagogue IF it was to be a day and place of worship???
I think the Bible tells us the answer...
1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
We dont have anything but to keep the Ten Commandments of the God we love, and they are not a burden at all. Its right there.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even Adam and Eve (assuming) would have been off of God's "Holy Day" calendar.
Sabbath rest comes after six days of work. A&E were created on the sixth day.
You are not force to work that is clear, the six days were for you to do your work, while the seventh was made holy and sanctified as the Sabbath.

Exodus 23:12
Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: that thine ox and thine ass may rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So when the time comes to meet your Creator, what will you say about your disregard for His Ten Commandments, got to think that one over..

Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
When you pray constantly, and listen to what the Lord is telling you, you come to understand him better. If everyone took Sunday (or Saturday off), there'd be no police, fire fighers, medical personnel, etc. available once a week.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Perhaps the Sabbath is "the least" commandment? - LOL

It's not clear what Jesus is referring to here.
- The Beatitudes he began the sermon with?
- The books of the Law and the books of the Prophets. ???
- The actual laws themselves?
- The five "You have heard it said... but I tell you..." statements?
(that he was about to give) Which treat the law as hearsay.

Question: What are "these least commandments"? (Mathew 5:19)

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oops!
I guess you forgot that Jesus resurrection was discovered at dawn. (in fact, before dawn) Nothing to do with the sun.

@Rella
Guess what day was the 'dies Solis' is and its meaning...

dies Solis​

dies Solis (Latin)​

Origin & history​

From diēs ("day") and sōlis, genitive of sōl ("sun").

Proper noun​

diēs Sōlis (genitive f); (fifth)
  1. Sunday

Synonyms​

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He made the Sabbath for man at Creation, and the other six days so they could do their tasks, and if we claim we can change Gods law to fit mans ideas, who are we following. God or man...
The Sabbath points to creation, not vice versa.

There is no evidence of ANYONE observing the Sabbath before it was given in Exodus chapter 16 with the weekly Manna collection.
Nor was it given as law for anyone but the Israelites until Exodus chapter 20.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God only gives one day as the Sabbath in His Commandments, and nowhere does He changed that, its that simple.
Exodus 20:8
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
The Jews tried and failed. The Pharisees thought they were keeping it holy and living righteously and Jesus condemned them as vipers and white-washed tombs who would be thrown into the Gehenna.
Do you think you keep the Sabbath holy? What about the other nine Commandments? If you live by the Law, you will be judged by the Law. I live under God's umbrella of Grace.
God created the earth and all thatbis in it in six days and rested on the seventh. About 2500 years later He gave Moses and the Chosen nation the Ten Commandments. They came out of slavery where they were 7 days a week. They could not set aside one day for the Lord. God doesn't want us to be workaholics. He wants us to rest a one day a week to fellowship with Him and others, worship apart from our busy schedules. We need a day to do that. But it could be any day. I used to have to work weekends for many years. I was in retail sales and so my day of rest came on different days. Our church offered services Friday and Saturday nights and also two on Sunday. You can worship and spend time with God on any day and I think that is the whole point, to set aside a day.
Jesus is Lord, He is our Sabbath, our rest. We could not enter into Him by works.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not force to work that is clear, the six days were for you to do your work, while the seventh was made holy and sanctified as the Sabbath.

Exodus 23:12
Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: that thine ox and thine ass may rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed.
I must be in violation. I rest my ass every day. - LOL

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The funny thing is likely the Hebrew and Gregorian calendars are off and no one knows what day it really is. The Sabbath could be on Tuesday. The Father probably told Jesus, "Don't stress about the Sabbath, these bone heads misplaced it a thousand years ago."
You guys think the earth was created on this day, 5784 years ago? I think they are not only off on the days, but a couple hundred years as well.
That sounds very plausible, and yet its not true as the weekly cycle has not changed from Creation. Do you think Christ would not know the seventh day in the week in which He made the Sabbath at Creation, its not like He just forgot or miscounted the days, of course not. The weekly cycle is worldwide and no matter and has not changed no matter what man tries..

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you pray constantly, and listen to what the Lord is telling you, you come to understand him better. If everyone took Sunday (or Saturday off), there'd be no police, fire fighers, medical personnel, etc. available once a week.
Good point. I like what Jesus said here.

Matthew 12:5 NIV
Or haven’t you read in the Law that the priests on Sabbath duty
in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are innocent?

Reactions: Bob Estey

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jews tried and failed. The Pharisees thought they were keeping it holy and living righteously and Jesus condemned them as vipers and white-washed tombs who would be thrown into the Gehenna.
Do you think you keep the Sabbath holy? What about the other nine Commandments? If you live by the Law, you will be judged by the Law. I live under God's umbrella of Grace.
God created the earth and all thatbis in it in six days and rested on the seventh. About 2500 years later He gave Moses and the Chosen nation the Ten Commandments. They came out of slavery where they were 7 days a week. They could not set aside one day for the Lord. God doesn't want us to be workaholics. He wants us to rest a one day a week to fellowship with Him and others, worship apart from our busy schedules. We need a day to do that. But it could be any day. I used to have to work weekends for many years. I was in retail sales and so my day of rest came on different days. Our church offered services Friday and Saturday nights and also two on Sunday. You can worship and spend time with God on any day and I think that is the whole point, to set aside a day.
Jesus is Lord, He is our Sabbath, our rest. We could not enter into Him by works.
Yes, and Christ came to show them what the Sabbath meant and purpose, and it still remains as Christ showed Himself.
Mark 1:21
And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what day which was seen as the 'venerable day of the sun'...?
"On the venerable day of the Sun let the Magistrates and the people residing in the cities rest, and let all workshops be closed." Edict of Constantine A.D. 321

The nominal conversion of Constantine, in the early part of the fourth century, caused great rejoicing; and the world, cloaked with a form of righteousness, walked into the church. Now the work of corruption rapidly progressed. Paganism, while appearing to be vanquished, became the conqueror. Her spirit controlled the church. Her doctrines, ceremonies, and superstitions were incorporated into the faith and worship of the professed followers of Christ.

This compromise between paganism and Christianity resulted in the development of "the man of sin" foretold in prophecy as opposing and exalting himself above God.
"The retention of the old pagan name of Dies Solis, for Sunday is, in a great measure, owing to the union of pagan and Christian sentiment with which the first day of the week was recommended by Constantine to his subjects - pagan and Christian alike - as the 'venerable' day of the sun." Arthur P. Stanley, History of the Eastern Church, p. 184

"Thus we learn from Socrates (H.E., vi.c.8) that in his time public worship was held in the churches of Constantinople on both days.... The view that the Christian's Lord's day or Sunday is but the Christian Sabbath deliberately transferred from the seventh to the first day of the week does not indeed find categorical expression till a much later period.... The earliest recognition of the observance of Sunday as a legal duty is a constitution of Constantine in A.D. 321, enacting that all courts of justice, inhabitants of towns, and workshops were to be at rest on Sunday (venerabili die Solis), with an exception in favour of those engaged in agricultural labour...The Council of Laodicea (363) ... forbids Christians from judaizing and resting on the Sabbath day, preferring the Lord's day, and so far as possible resting as Christians."-Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1899 Edition, Vol. XXIII, page 654

"Sunday was a name given by the heathens to the first day of the week, because it was the day on which they worshipped the sun, ...the seventh day was blessed and hallowed by God Himself, and ...He requires His creatures to keep it holy to Him. This commandment is of universal and perpetual obligation...The Creator 'blessed the seventh day'-declared it to be a day above all days, a day- on which His favour should assuredly rest. ...So long, then, as man exists, and the world around him endures,' does the law of the early Sabbath remain. It cannot be set aside so long as its foundations last.... It is not the Jewish Sabbath, properly so-called, which is ordained in the fourth commandment. In the whole of that injunction there is no Jewish element, any more than there is in the third commandment, or the sixth." Eadie's Biblical Cyclopedia, 1872 Edition, page 561.

"...pastoral intuition suggested to the Church the christianization of the notion of Sunday as "the day of the sun", which was the Roman name for the day and which is retained in some modern languages.(29) This was in order to draw the faithful away from the seduction of cults which worshipped the sun, and to direct the celebration of the day to Christ, humanity's true "sun"." John Paul II, Dies Domini, 27. The day of Christ-Light, 1998

"... you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify." The Faith of Our Fathers, by James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, 88th edition, page 89. Originally published in 1876, republished and Copyright 1980 by TAN Books and Publishers, Inc., pages 72-73.
'Deny the authority of the Church and you have no adequate or reasonable explanation or justification for the substitution of Sunday for Saturday in the Third - Protestant Fourth - Commandment of God... The Church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact.'' Catholic Record, September 1, 1923.

And how it came in...
"On March 7, 321, Roman Emperor Constantine I decreed that dies Solis Invicti (‘sun-day,’ or Day of Sol Invictus, Roman God of the Sun) would be the Roman day of rest throughout the Roman Empire...

Though Sol Invictus (meaning ‘The unconquered Sun’) was indeed a pagan Roman God, and had been featured on Roman coins, Constantine coopted this pagan heritage along with the Judeo-Christian following of the 10 Commandments by granting a day to honor God and rest for man. As the Roman Empire gradually converted to Christianity, Sunday became the natural day for the Sabbath and rest since Romans were already accustomed to Sunday as their day off."

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the Bible tells us the answer...
1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
We dont have anything but to keep the Ten Commandments of the God we love, and they are not a burden at all. Its right there.
To keep means possess, hold onto, as a model of pure righteousness. This is LOVE. When we relate to one another lovingly, we don't bear false witness against them, steal from them, envy, lust after, commit adultery or murder them ... we try not to. If we loved perfectly, we would see a different world. But even among Christians, the world looks at us and sees we aren't perfect, they see hypocracy, double-mindedness among us too. They see sin just as they commit. They see us one day with smiles and speaking Christianese in church, pretentious; and the next day sinful, lustful and carnal.
Only Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the Law - we could not; so He did for us.
>>> But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the Law, being confined for the faith that was destined to be revealed. Therefore the Law has become our guardian (Pedagogue, schoolmaster needed to teach children, adolescents) to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. GAL. 3:23-25 <<<

Last edited:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The color chaange and bolding and font size change are mine....

QUESTION

Are the Ten Commandments repeated in the New Testament?​

Ten Commandments in the New Testament
ANSWER

Nine of the Ten Commandments found in Exodus 20:1–17 are repeated in the New Testament numerous times in different ways. For example, in giving a summary of our moral responsibilities to one another, Jesus repeats four of the Ten Commandments to the young ruler in Mark 10:17–19. The only commandment not repeated in the New Testament is the fourth one, the one about Sabbath-keeping.

Paul references the Decalogue a number of times in his epistles. Sometimes, he is explicit in reciting some of the commandments, as he does in Romans 13:9. Other times, he references them implicitly, like in 1 Timothy 1:8–10: “But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers [5th and 6th commandments], for murderers [6th commandment] and immoral men and homosexuals [7th commandment] and kidnappers [8th commandment] and liars and perjurers [9th commandment], and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching” (NASB).

Here are the Ten Commandments and where they are found in the New Testament:

1) Do not worship any other gods (1 Corinthians 8:6; 1 Timothy 2:5)

2) Do not make idols (1 John 5:21)

3) Do not misuse the name of the LORD (1 Timothy 6:1)

4) Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy. (There are many references to the Sabbath day in the New Testament, including the assumption that Jews under the law in the time of Christ would be observing the Sabbath. But there is no direct or indirect command for believers in the church age to observe the Sabbath as a day of rest or of worship. In fact, Colossians 2:16 releases the believer from the Sabbath rule. Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath, has become for us our Sabbath rest, according to Hebrews 4:1–11.)

5) Honor your father and your mother (Ephesians 6:1–2)

6) Do not murder (Romans 13:9; 1 Peter 4:15)

7) Do not commit adultery (1 Corinthians 6:9–10)

8) Do not steal (Ephesians 4:28)

9) Do not give false testimony (Revelation 21:8)

10) Do not covet (Colossians 3:5)

The Ten Commandments help unbelievers in any age recognize their imperfections. Because it summarizes the moral content of God’s law, the Decalogue can be used as a mirror to show people their sin. The commandments reflect the unchanging character of God, so they—like God—are eternal, timeless, universally applicable, and immutable.

Some Christians believe the Ten Commandments are not binding upon believers today. For example, in his book Irresistible: Reclaiming the New that Jesus Unleashed for the World, Andy Stanley says, “The Ten Commandments have no authority over you. None. To be clear: Thou shalt not obey the Ten Commandments” (p. 136). Such thinking is likely not caused by an antinomian mindset, but instead stems from the principle that Christians are not under the law but under grace (Romans 6:14). While it is true that Christ fulfilled the law on our behalf (see Matthew 5:17), the New Testament is clear that believers should not violate God’s moral law because of their standing in grace (Romans 6:15).

New Testament believers are freed from the bondage of sin, which allows them to freely live out the Ten Commandments, summarized by Christ this way: “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets” (Matthew 22:36–40, NASB).

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are the Ten Commandments repeated in the New Testament?
"repeated" = made reference to.
Which is different from confirming, or reinforcing.

There is overlap between the law and God's law of human conscience. (two different things)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and Christ came to show them what the Sabbath meant and purpose, and it still remains as Christ showed Himself.
Mark 1:21
And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught.
That's because Sabbath-keepers are demon possessed. Here's what happened when he arrived there. - LOL

Mark 1:23-26 NIV
Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an impure spirit cried out,
24 “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us?
I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”
25 “Be quiet!” said Jesus sternly. “Come out of him!”
26 The impure spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no evidence of ANYONE observing the Sabbath before it was given in Exodus chapter 16 with the weekly Manna collection.
Nor was it given as law for anyone but the Israelites until Exodus chapter 20.
Maybe that's the first time it shows up in the Bible, but from history and archaeology we know the whole Middle East was using a calendar of weeks and weeks of weeks as early as the 3rd millennium BC.

Historians think the Amorites invented it, and it was adopted by the Canaanites and Babylonians, and then everyone.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe that's the first time it shows up in the Bible, but from history and archaeology we know the whole Middle East was using a calendar of weeks and weeks of weeks as early as the 3rd millennium BC.

Historians think the Amorites invented it, and it was adopted by the Canaanites and Babylonians, and then everyone.
How many days in the week though? I think that varied from calendar to calendar.

We need to remember that mythologies attempt to explain why things are the way they are now.

After I read The Bible Tells Me So... by Peter Enns,
I wanted to cover the title (Holy Bible) on the cover of my Bible
with a big label that reads:
Here's what we
think happened

But I never actually did that.
1695385991995.jpeg

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe that's the first time it shows up in the Bible, but from history and archaeology we know the whole Middle East was using a calendar of weeks and weeks of weeks as early as th

Thank you, thank you .thank you.....givingkisssmily.gif

I think you have given some concrete proof that creation week was not 6 consecutive days ( 144 hours) plus a 7th.

The week had not been defined ..... yet.:woohoo!: