What Is The Meaning Of Jesus The Son Of God? and Why?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
? I don't understand your question, please explain.

Jesus came forth out of Gods mouth
Isa 55:11

Gods Word comes forth out from God yet remains IN God IS God.

Gods Word from the Beginning had been coming forth out from Gods Mouth…but His Name had been Kept Secret.
Men heard and saw a man…yet knew it was an Angel , men called by the Title…the Angel of the LORD.
Jug 13:18

In THESE last Days God Sent His Word…and Said….call His Name JESUS, a name Above all other Names…and SAID….He would be called: The Son of God….and was on the DAY God declared from a voice from Heaven….
This Day was His Son Begotten.
Heb 1:2

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes….
I believe…Jesus, the Son of man, is A Man (not a Human man)

Yes ,,,,
I believe … Christ Jesus IS Spirit, Son of God, IS God.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd be happy to examine it in detail if you'd like. How do you sidestep passages that stipulate that the Spirit came in the flesh of Jesus?

For example--

Sidestep what?
Already Said MEN saw Jesus in the Flesh body God prepared and Jesus Took upon Himself.

What was Revealed thereafter Is Jesus IS the Christ….that is Knowledge…That IS the Spirit of God… Power of God…Wisdom of God…Seed of God…. Human Eyes we’re Seeing Jesus…while Knowing He IS Spirit.
The test of scripture is those who confess Jesus -- as the Christ who has come in the flesh. Jesus is NOT spirit, but the flesh that the Spirit indwelled.

By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses Jesus as the Christ who has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that refuses to confess Jesus, that spirit is not from God, and this is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming, and now is already in the world.

And this-- Was he made like us (his brothers and sisters) in every way? -Or do you deny this too?

Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, he likewise shared in their humanity, so that through death he could destroy the one who holds the power of death (that is, the devil), and set free those who were held in slavery all their lives by their fear of death. For surely his concern is not for angels, but he is concerned for Abraham’s descendants. Therefore he had to be made like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he could become a merciful and faithful high priest in things relating to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people. For since he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are tempted.
Yes He WAS MADE to appear IN the Likeness AS a man….yet He IS Spirit without Beginning or Ending.

Rom 10:
[9] That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
[10] For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Shalt Be Saved…
If they Believe in Jesus….
When shalt they be Saved?
After their BODY physically Dies.

They are Called…asleep (Dead in Jesus).
Who shall raise them UP? God

1 Thes 4:14 IN Jesus. Shall be Saved.
When? After CHRIST’S millenial Reign.

Then there those WHO confess…
Jesus IS the CHRIST, the Son of the Living God….and They (before their Physical Death) Spiritually Are Crucified With Christ Jesus…and Become SAVED (before Physical death)….the ARE called…Saved AND Born Again….are Called (IN CHRIST)…Aka….Converted IN Christ.
The Lord Himself shall Raise Them UP and They shall Reign WITH Christ Jesus during His Millennial reign.

1 Thes 4: 16-17. IN Christ. Are Saved.

People say….oh, oh, oh, I Believe…. Yet are very vague in the details.

Reactions: The Learner

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sidestep what?
Already Said MEN saw Jesus in the Flesh body God prepared and Jesus Took upon Himself.

You said he wasn't human. You are saying he wasn't like any of us at all.

Yes He WAS MADE to appear IN the Likeness AS a man….yet He IS Spirit without Beginning or Ending.

You are saying it was a deception. Mere appearances.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe…Jesus, the Son of man, is A Man (not a Human man)
1 Peter 1:18, 19, Acts 20:28

18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Read full chapter

28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Read full chapter

Reactions: Taken

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus came forth out of Gods mouth
Isa 55:11

Gods Word comes forth out from God yet remains IN God IS God.

Gods Word from the Beginning had been coming forth out from Gods Mouth…but His Name had been Kept Secret.
Men heard and saw a man…yet knew it was an Angel , men called by the Title…the Angel of the LORD.
Jug 13:18

In THESE last Days God Sent His Word…and Said….call His Name JESUS, a name Above all other Names…and SAID….He would be called: The Son of God….and was on the DAY God declared from a voice from Heaven….
This Day was His Son Begotten.
Heb 1:2
Hello Taken, And thank you.

Reactions: Taken

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thursday 2-9-23 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Shevat 17, 5783 51st. Winter Day

Here is a view of what I think:

Jesus is not God’s Son in the sense of a human father and a son. God did not get married and have a son. God did not mate with Mary and, together with her, produce a son. Jesus is God’s Son in the sense that He is God made manifest in human form (John 1:1, 14).

Jesus is God’s Son in that He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit. Luke 1:35 declares, “The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.’”

Love, Walter
I will try to help... You need to leave your western culture to understand!!!

Son of God
- This title for Jesus has been given meanings and attributes that were never intended. People have erroneously used the human father-son relationship to describe this title of Jesus’. They have thought that since a human son has the actual essence (made of the same matter) of his father, that therefore, this title implies that Jesus being the Son of God is of the same essence of God. This conclusion will lead you right into the Doctrine of the Trinity. This is the formula they adopted at the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD when they said:

"The Son is of the same substance as the Father."

It was at this council that Jesus was first made God. The Holy Spirit interestingly enough was not included in the formula. It was included fifty-six years later at another council. Let’s see what this title really means:

Son of God - In the Old Testament Israel is described as God’s first-born (Exodus 4:22) and is called His son. There is therefore precedence for calling the Messiah "Son of God" for he is Israel’s representative par excellence (ZEB, vol.4, pg.203-204).

"Son of God" denotes an intimate relationship with the Father. It is obvious that sonship must not be understood in a crude pagan way. This bears out Dalman’s contention that the Hebrew concept of "son" does not denote an extensive circle of relationships" (ZEB, vol.4, pg. 205). Adam was called the "son of God" (Luke 3:38), God calls King Solomon His "son" in 1 Chronicles 28:6.

For Paul, "Son of God" is essentially a Christological description expressing "the Son’s solidarity with God" (ZEB, vol.4, pg.204). Closeness to the Father is the basic meaning of "Son of God"(Ibid). This closeness was a relationship that was shared by God’s anointed kings of Israel. Since Jesus is the ideal king of Israel, he is naturally the ideal Son of God. This is how the term came to be synonymous with Messiah and king of Israel. They are all different ways of saying the same thing.

The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible vol. 4 pg. 204 states:

"The last chapter of the first epistle of John makes every possible emphasis upon the principle that Sonship is the mark of Messiahship. The same is the case with the fourth gospel where the Son of God is synonymous with Messiah and occurs more frequently than any other title. Haenchen maintains that the same equation:

Messiah = Son of God = Son of Man

applies to Mark’s gospel. The same can be said of the rest of the New Testament."

Aspects of Monotheism pg.90 states:

"The notion that the Davidic king was the son of God is well established in the Hebrew Bible in 2 Samuel 7:14 and in Psalm 2:7. It was only natural then that the coming messianic king should also be regarded as the Son of God. To say that the king was the son of God, however, does not necessarily imply divinization."

This is the meaning of the title "Son of God." Messiah = Son of God = king of Israel = Son of Man. The Messiah does have the closest and most intimate relationship with the Father. Let’s take a look at some verses to confirm this.

"The kings of the earth rise up, and the princes conspire together against the LORD and His anointed (Messiah)"… "I myself have set up my king on Zion (Israel)"… "The LORD said to me, "You are my son" (Psalm 2:2,6-7).

Here we see God speaking of the Messiah using all three titles; Messiah, king of Zion, and son.

"He first found his own brother and told him, "We have found the Messiah"…"Rabbi, you are the Son of God: you are the King of Israel" (John 1:41& 49).

John cannot be clearer on this title; the Son of God is the King of Israel. This is the Jewish meaning of "Son of God." Any other definition will take away from the true meaning of the title into something that was never intended by its Jewish author.

Sorry it was not what you wanted to hear... But the truth rarely is...
Paul

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will try to help... You need to leave your western culture to understand!!!

Son of God
- This title for Jesus has been given meanings and attributes that were never intended. People have erroneously used the human father-son relationship to describe this title of Jesus’. They have thought that since a human son has the actual essence (made of the same matter) of his father, that therefore, this title implies that Jesus being the Son of God is of the same essence of God. This conclusion will lead you right into the Doctrine of the Trinity. This is the formula they adopted at the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD when they said:

"The Son is of the same substance as the Father."

It was at this council that Jesus was first made God. The Holy Spirit interestingly enough was not included in the formula. It was included fifty-six years later at another council. Let’s see what this title really means:

Son of God - In the Old Testament Israel is described as God’s first-born (Exodus 4:22) and is called His son. There is therefore precedence for calling the Messiah "Son of God" for he is Israel’s representative par excellence (ZEB, vol.4, pg.203-204).

"Son of God" denotes an intimate relationship with the Father. It is obvious that sonship must not be understood in a crude pagan way. This bears out Dalman’s contention that the Hebrew concept of "son" does not denote an extensive circle of relationships" (ZEB, vol.4, pg. 205). Adam was called the "son of God" (Luke 3:38), God calls King Solomon His "son" in 1 Chronicles 28:6.

For Paul, "Son of God" is essentially a Christological description expressing "the Son’s solidarity with God" (ZEB, vol.4, pg.204). Closeness to the Father is the basic meaning of "Son of God"(Ibid). This closeness was a relationship that was shared by God’s anointed kings of Israel. Since Jesus is the ideal king of Israel, he is naturally the ideal Son of God. This is how the term came to be synonymous with Messiah and king of Israel. They are all different ways of saying the same thing.

The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible vol. 4 pg. 204 states:

"The last chapter of the first epistle of John makes every possible emphasis upon the principle that Sonship is the mark of Messiahship. The same is the case with the fourth gospel where the Son of God is synonymous with Messiah and occurs more frequently than any other title. Haenchen maintains that the same equation:

Messiah = Son of God = Son of Man

applies to Mark’s gospel. The same can be said of the rest of the New Testament."

Aspects of Monotheism pg.90 states:

"The notion that the Davidic king was the son of God is well established in the Hebrew Bible in 2 Samuel 7:14 and in Psalm 2:7. It was only natural then that the coming messianic king should also be regarded as the Son of God. To say that the king was the son of God, however, does not necessarily imply divinization."

This is the meaning of the title "Son of God." Messiah = Son of God = king of Israel = Son of Man. The Messiah does have the closest and most intimate relationship with the Father. Let’s take a look at some verses to confirm this.

"The kings of the earth rise up, and the princes conspire together against the LORD and His anointed (Messiah)"… "I myself have set up my king on Zion (Israel)"… "The LORD said to me, "You are my son" (Psalm 2:2,6-7).

Here we see God speaking of the Messiah using all three titles; Messiah, king of Zion, and son.

"He first found his own brother and told him, "We have found the Messiah"…"Rabbi, you are the Son of God: you are the King of Israel" (John 1:41& 49).

John cannot be clearer on this title; the Son of God is the King of Israel. This is the Jewish meaning of "Son of God." Any other definition will take away from the true meaning of the title into something that was never intended by its Jewish author.

Sorry it was not what you wanted to hear... But the truth rarely is...
Paul
Thank you Paul.

Love, Walter

Reactions: Pierac

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said he wasn't human.

Correct.

You are saying he wasn't like any of us at all.

At all? No I did not say that.

Jesus came OUT from God…Did you?
Jesus did not lie…Have you?
Christ is all knowing…Are you?

Animals…eat, sleep, have flesh, bones, think, feel….Does that mean you are an animal?

Men can look like a Woman…Does that mean they Are a woman?

You are saying it was a deception.

No. That is what You Have just said….not me.

Mere appearances?

No. I did not say that. You just said that…not me.

It is neither Deception or Mere….when you are given the Knowledge and Why.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr E

Jared_Bannister

Mar 23, 2023
South east
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
First, it is important to note that the title “Son of God” is not unique to Jesus. This phrase has been used throughout history in reference to a variety of figures, from kings and warriors to prophets and saints. In Christianity, however, it takes on a special significance as Jesus is the only one who can be said to have been born with this title. As such, he holds a privileged place within the faith as both an example for believers and an object of worship.

The term "son of God" has multiple meanings depending on its context. It can refer either literally or figuratively to any person who shares a spiritual connection with God through their relationship with him; however, when used specifically in reference to Jesus it refers more explicitly to his divine nature. According to Christian doctrine, Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit and thus was born without sin (Luke 1:35). He was also believed by many early Christians—and some today—to be fully divine as well as fully human (John 1:14). This dual nature makes him uniquely qualified for his role as savior and mediator between humanity and God's kingdom (Hebrews 2:17-18).

In addition to being referred to as "the Son of God," there are other titles given in Scripture which further explain what this means for followers of Christ. For instance, he is described variously as Lord (Matthew 7:21-22), King (Mark 11:10) , Messiah/Christ (John 4:25-26), Redeemer/Savior(1 John 4:14), Advocate/Counselor(1 Timothy 2 :5) , High Priest(Hebrews 3 :1 ), Prophet(Acts 3 : 22–23 ) , Alpha & Omega(Revelation 21 : 6 ) among others . These titles all point towards the same core idea - namely that Jesus embodies perfect love from God which allows humans access into His kingdom through faith in Him alone .

Furthermore , there are several key aspects related directly or indirectly with this concept . The first one being that He came down from Heaven sent by His Father in order bring salvation upon sinful mankind ; secondly , He died on cross after fulfilling all prophecies concerning Him so that we may receive grace ; thirdly , He rose again conquering death so we become heirs according Resurrection power ; lastly but most importantly – through His sacrifice our sins were forgiven allowing us closer relationship with our Creator . All these points make clear why he is often called “the son of god” – because no other figure before or since could fulfill such an incredible mission like Him .

Finally , understanding what it means when referring someone else ‘son of god’ would depend largely upon context - if talking about historical events then likely they had some kind miraculous powers while if speaking spiritually then probably they represent hope redemption against darkness world brings forth everyday life experiences . No matter interpretation though ultimately Jesus remains only one who can truly claim title since he alone was born without sin , died for our sins , rose again conquering death and opened door into eternal life through his perfect love .

Amen!

Regards,
Jared
Christian Faith Testimony Stories | Learning to trust in God

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thursday 2-9-23 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Shevat 17, 5783 51st. Winter Day

Here is a view of what I think:

Jesus is not God’s Son in the sense of a human father and a son. God did not get married and have a son. God did not mate with Mary and, together with her, produce a son. Jesus is God’s Son in the sense that He is God made manifest in human form (John 1:1, 14).

Jesus is God’s Son in that He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit. Luke 1:35 declares, “The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.’”

Love, Walter
I believe Jesus has a Father and is in Human like form, see 2nd book of Enoch 10th heaven visit. I also believe Jesus was glorified after he was risen with all the power of the Father. And I believe that their power flows from one true God. I'm not really sure how the Holy Spirit works. He is large enough to move upon the waters of the entire Universe though and communicate with all of life all at once and create heaven and earth. But the Holy Spirit echoes what God tells him.

So I believe in the trinity, as 3 separate personages flowing from one power or essence. But I have adopted the 2nd book of Enoch vision of the Father as I also have seen him from where he resides. I had sort of a vision but it seemed real and I physically heard him.

John 16:13​

New King James Version​

13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Last edited:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Jesus has a Father and is in Human like form, see 2nd book of Enoch 10th heaven visit. I also believe Jesus was glorified after he was risen with all the power of the Father. And I believe that their power flows from one true God. I'm not really sure how the Holy Spirit works. He is large enough to move upon the waters of the entire Universe though and communicate with all of life all at once and create heaven and earth. But the Holy Spirit echoes what God tells him.

So I believe in the trinity, as 3 separate personages flowing from one power or essence. But I have adopted the 2nd book of Enoch vision of the Father as I also have seen him from where he resides. I had sort of a vision but it seemed real and I physically heard him.

John 16:13​

New King James Version​

13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
Hello dev553344, And thank you.

Love, Walter

Reactions: dev553344

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
previous post is just a friendly reminder

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
IF…Jesus was a Human…He would have been created like all Humans OUT OF the Dust of the Earth, His Blood corrupt, and His Flesh would have Died, RETURNED, to Dust of the Earth.
Who said this is what happened? In order to pay the ransom, Jesus had to be 100% human. A sinless human life had to be given to buy back what Adam lost for his children. Who said he had to be made out of the dust? He was a creation of the holy spirit....implanted in the womb of Mary, he was born as a human child, but unrelated to sinful Adam. He said he had "come down from heaven" to "do the will of him who sent me"....The one who sent him he identified as "the only true God". (John 17:3)

He is called "God's holy servant"....(Acts 27:4)
God is immortal and cannot die.......so it is because Jesus was not an immortal that he could die as a ransom for mankind.
God sent his son to become a mortal human to redeem the human race.
Do you understand what redemption is? God's law demanded equivalency, so Jesus' life had to be the exact equivalent of Adam's to balance the scales of justice....."eye for eye, tooth for tooth, life for life"....
So Where IS Jesus Grave, Where His (supposed human Body) is Rotting RETURNING to Dust of the Earth?
His human body did not "see corruption" in the grave because scripture tells us that God did not allow his son's human remains to rot in the grave.
At Acts 2:24-27...David foretold what would happen to Jesus' human remains....
"But God resurrected him by releasing him from the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held fast by it. 25 For David says about him: ‘I keep Jehovah constantly in front of me, for he is at my right hand that I may never be shaken. 26 On this account my heart became cheerful and my tongue rejoiced greatly. And I will reside in hope; 27 because you will not leave me in the Grave, nor will you allow your loyal one to see corruption." (Psalm 16:10)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who said this is what happened? In order to pay the ransom, Jesus had to be 100% human…
Humans are created Body’s out of the dust of the Earth, Die and Return to Dust of the Earth.

Jesus is the Word of God Who came forth out of Gods Mouth and took upon Himself a Body God Prepared. Jesus’ prepared Body was Killed and The Word of God Returned To God in Heaven.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Humans are created Body’s out of the dust of the Earth, Die and Return to Dust of the Earth.
The original human was Adam.....and God created him from the dust (elements) of the earth but Eve was created from Adam’s DNA.....she was not formed from the dust. Their God-given ability to procreate meant passing life and breath onto all of their offspring. Death was not mentioned as a natural process in Eden, but rather that death would only result from disobedience. So if the first humans had never chosen to disobey, they never would have died. Everlasting life in their mortal flesh was guaranteed by the presence of the “tree of life” which was also in the garden. Once the humans had sinned, access to that tree was denied.....the ageing process began, and sickness and death have stalked us ever since. (Gen 3:22-24)

Earth was never to be a training ground for heaven.....this was to be our permanent home.
Jesus is the Word of God Who came forth out of Gods Mouth and took upon Himself a Body God Prepared. Jesus’ prepared Body was Killed and The Word of God Returned To God in Heaven.
Jesus as the “logos” was God’s spokesman....one who spoke God’s words as he said.....nothing he taught was of his own originality, but came from his Father. (John 7:14-18)

The human body that God “prepared” for his son, was an embryo, not of human origin, but came directly from the Creator by his spirit, and implanted in the womb of a chosen Jewish virgin.
The child was born but he was not a son of Adam, but a son of God....sinless but 100% mortal human.
Can humans kill an immortal God?
Unless Jesus died the same death as Adam, the ransom was not paid, and we are all still condemned in our sins.

Jesus in his pre-human existence, willingly offered to become the means to rescue Adam’s children, ‘thrown under the bus’ by their earthly father. The debt he incurred was transferred to them, because this is what redemption means. In Israel, if a father incurred a debt, his children could be put to work to pay it off if the father could not pay it, or if he died before the debt was paid. The children were not released from the debt until the last coin was paid back. Only then were the children released from servitude.
The only other way to release the children, was for a generous benefactor to pay the debt for them.
This is what Jesus did.

His life was sinless and so it paid the debt in full, and released Adam’s children from slavery to sin and death.
Unless you understand the mechanics of it, you will wander of into the endless realms of assumption.