What is the name of the son per Matt 28:19?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would assume Jesus.
Thank you for your honesty.

Now, please tell the rest of the class that Jesus was telling the disciples this....

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son(Jesus), and of the Holy Ghost:

As Peter understood and did, beginning in Acts 2:38.

They are not listening to their teacher(me) and are cutting up in the back of class.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your honesty.

Now, please tell the rest of the class that Jesus was telling the disciples this....

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son(Jesus), and of the Holy Ghost:

As Peter understood and did, beginning in Acts 2:38.

They are not listening to their teacher(me) and are cutting up in the back of class.
Boys will be boys, and we all like to have a laugh now and then. Maybe one day you should tell them to go the the front of the class and teach, and then you can go to the back and have your little laugh.

Reactions: Truther

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They run from the name of Jesus Christ.

They tremble at the thought of being baptized in Jesus name, too.

Yikes!

I agree. And, simultaneously they desire to be saved, so they resolve this via baptism by Matt 28:19 which makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside, while not really acknowledging Jesus. Seems like they found another way into the kingdom.

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To hear some people's slide ruler explanations on this subject, would take having a law degree and library full of books, commentaries and research material for anyone to understand the Bible ... and that's just NOT the case. Peter, James and John were not highly educated men, but they turned their world upside down for Jesus.
"Law degree"??
YOU
think that a common term like "By the Authority of" or "In the name of" is complicated??

ANY dolt who ever watched a movie about Robin Hood or saw Smow White and the Trhree Stooges understands what this means.

Pretty scary that YOU don't . . .
The Bible is NOT complicated.
People are complicated ... especially those who have been educated beyond their intelligence and/or have been complicated beyond repair.
That's NOT what the BIBLE itself says . . .
2 Pet. 3:15-16
And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Taake a wild guess who YOU are in this passage . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the name of the son as specified by Jesus in the verse(Matt 28:19) that you posted, RC?

A....Jesus.

B....George.

C...Jeff?

D....son?

Pick one.
Jesus DOESN'T specify any particular names in this verse.
He gives the TITLES of the Persons of the Trinity.- the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit.

Are you REALLY this dense?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Congratulations you have actually stated his NAME (Jesus) - that was like pulling teeth.
Why is it, that NOBODY was ever baptized in the Bible with the words of Mat 28:19 spoken over them.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
This is truly an idiotic statement.

Can you show me a SINGLE example of a Baptism in the NT where the detaiols of the Baptism are chronicled?
Can you show me a SINGLE verse where the ACTUAL WORDSsof Baptism are used?

I'll wait right here for your well-researched answer - so take your time . . .

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Law degree"??
YOU
think that a common term like "By the Authority of" or "In the name of" is complicated??

ANY dolt who ever watched a movie about Robin Hood or saw Smow White and the Trhree Stooges understands what this means.

Pretty scary that YOU don't . . .

That's NOT what the BIBLE itself says . . .
And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Taake a wild guess who YOU are in this passage . . .

Did something I said cut you to the heart?
Did it pierce your pride and arrogance?

I think Truther was right, you received a piece of revelation about this and you are kicking against the pricks.
Son(Jesus) is beginning to deal with you.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus DOESN'T specify any particular names in this verse.
He gives the TITLES of the Persons of the Trinity.- the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit.

Are you REALLY this dense?

Go to the bank and try to cash a check signed: -Daddy or (-Son) or (-Holy Ghost).
Keep evading the NAME and you'll miss-out on cashing in on the promise.

Acts 2:38-39 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is truly an idiotic statement.

Can you show me a SINGLE example of a Baptism in the NT where the detaiols of the Baptism are chronicled?
Can you show me a SINGLE verse where the ACTUAL WORDSsof Baptism are used?

I'll wait right here for your well-researched answer - so take your time . . .

There are details of baptisms taking place with the Name of Jesus...

Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the NAME of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Acts 8:16 "(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus)."

Acts 19:5 "When they heard this, they were baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus."

Now then, you show me where baptisms taking place with the words, "Father, Son, Holy Ghost"

Hint: Mat 28:19 is NOT a baptism taking place.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did something I said cut you to the heart?
Did it pierce your pride and arrogance?
I think Truther was right, you received a piece of revelation about this and you are kicking against the pricks.
Son(Jesus) is beginning to deal with you.
No - you said something stupid.

The ridiculous idea that the phrase "By the Authority of" or "In the name of" is somehow complicated illustrates your abject ignorance of Scripture.
Thhat's why I quoted 2 Pet. 3:16.

I thought you would have figured that out by now . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go to the bank and try to cash a check signed: -Daddy or (-Son) or (-Holy Ghost).
Keep evading the NAME and you'll miss-out on cashing in on the promise.

Acts 2:38-39 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
This is like arguing with a box of rocks.
Correction
- make that TWO boxes of rocks . . .

I was replying to the asinine question from @Truther:
"What is the name of the son as specified by Jesus in the verse(Matt 28:19) that you posted, RC?"

As I pointed out to BOTH of you geniuses - Jesus NEVER specifies a name here.
He simply give three TITLES: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Let me know when that sinks in - however, I won't hold my breath.
It's difficult to penetrae rock . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are details of baptisms taking place with the Name of Jesus...

Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the NAME of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Acts 8:16 "(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus)."

Acts 19:5 "When they heard this, they were baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus."

Now then, you show me where baptisms taking place with the words, "Father, Son, Holy Ghost"

Hint: Mat 28:19 is NOT a baptism taking place.
Not ONE of those examples shows an actual Baptim taking place.
They are ALL mere descriptions of Baptisms.

The fact is that the New Testament doesn't have a SIINGLE exa,ple of the Baptism ritual - OR the wording. This coimes from ORAL Trafition.
Paul explains how Oral Tradition is ON PAR with Scriupture - so, pay attenntion:
2 Thess 2:15

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, either by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a LETTER from us."

Did you catch that?
"EITHER/OR".

As I've educated you guys before - WHILE the Apostles were still alive - a document called, The Didache (Teachings of the Twelve Apostes) was written (AD 50).
Here is what it says regarding Baptism:
Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism
And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit.

NOW - before you DISMISS this document as "invalid" - turn your Protestant KJV to Matt. 6:13.
HERE is what it says:
Matt, 6:13
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

The bolf underlined text above was NOT in the original manuscripts.
This wasa a footnote added by Catholic scribes on the side of a page that was ADDED into the KJV. MOST other trabslations don't have this part of the verse - only ones that were derived from the KJV.

Guess where it comes from?
The DIDACHE:
Chapter 8. Concerning Fasting and Prayer (the Lord's Prayer)
But let not your fasts be with the hypocrites; for they fast on the second and fifth day of the week; but fast on the fourth day and the Preparation (Friday). Neither pray as the hypocrites; but as the Lord commanded in His Gospel, thus pray: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. Give us today our daily (needful) bread, and forgive us our debt as we also forgive our debtors. And bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one (or, evil); for Yours is the power and the glory for ever. Thrice in the day thus pray.

You guys are WRONG and you're fighting a losing, historically and Scripturally-BANKRUPT battle.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - you said something stupid.

The ridiculous idea that the phrase "By the Authority of" or "In the name of" is somehow complicated illustrates your abject ignorance of Scripture.
Thhat's why I quoted 2 Pet. 3:16.

I thought you would have figured that out by now . . .

I never said "By the Authority of" or "In the name of" is somehow complicated"

Here is what I said...

To hear some people's slide ruler explanations on this subject, would take having a law degree and library full of books, commentaries and research material for anyone to understand the Bible ... and that's just NOT the case. Peter, James and John were not highly educated men, but they turned their world upside down for Jesus.
The Bible is NOT complicated. People are complicated ... especially those who have been educated beyond their intelligence and/or have been complicated beyond repair.

Please do try to focus.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not ONE of those examples shows an actual Baptim taking place.
They are ALL mere descriptions of Baptisms.

There again is your lack of paying attention.

I said in post #49...

There are details of baptisms taking place with the Name of Jesus.

You gave quite the chicken dance pecking around the floor, I'll leave a dollar in your jar. But never-the-less, you failed to produce any scriptures using the words "Father, Son, Holy Ghost" in describing a baptism taking place. I'm still waiting.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Can anyone tell me what this specific name is?

Thanks.

Yep, it’s the same name as the one who commanded it in that verse.

Reactions: Truther

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus: baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

UPC: Jesus didn’t mean that, what He REALLY meant to say was to be baptized only in the name of Jesus, so pay no attention to the Father or Holy Spirit.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, it’s the same name as the one who commanded it in that verse.
The name of the Son is Jesus. The name of Jesus' Father is YHWH (Yehowah). The name of the Holy Spirit is ....... Wait. The HS has no personal name. Probably because it is not a person. Its description (holy spirit) is in the neuter gender in NT Greek and feminine gender in Hebrew (most often used for things in ancient Hebrew since there is no neuter gender in Hebrew).

So it is that when "in the name (singular) of" is used for more than one thing, it has the meaning of "in recognition of" or "by the authority of." It is used that way in English as well as NT Greek.

"In the name (singular) of the Father (masc.) and of the Son (masc.) and the Holy Spirit (neut.)" simply means in recognition of them.

We see the same thing in English: "Open in the name of the law and the crown."

Since it clearly means “in recognition of the power, or authority of,” it is perfectly correct to use “name” in the singular. In fact, it must be used that way. We even recognize this in our own language today. We say, for example, “I did it in the name [singular] of love, humanity, and justice.”

There is a famous statement in United States history that perfectly illustrates this use of the singular “name” when it is being used to mean “in recognition of power or authority.” Ethan Allen, writing about his capture of Fort Ticonderoga in 1775, quoted the words he spoke when the British commander of that fort asked him by what authority Allen had captured it.

Ethan Allen replied:
In the name [singular] of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress.” - p. 100, A Book About American History, Stimpson, Fawcett Publ., 1962 printing. (Also see Rebels and Redcoats, p. 54, Scheer and Rankin, Mentor Books, 1959 printing; and p. 167, Vol. 1, Universal Standard Encyclopedia, the 1955 abridgment of the New Funk and Wagnalls Encyclopedia.)
How ludicrous it would be to conclude that Allen really meant that Jehovah and the Continental Congress had the same personal name and were both equally God!

Noted trinitarian scholar Robertson’s Word Pictures in the New Testament, Vol.1, p. 245, makes the same admission when discussing Matt. 28:19:
“The use of name (onoma) here is a common one in the Septuagint and the papyri for power or authority.”

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said "By the Authority of" or "In the name of" is somehow complicated"

Here is what I said...
The Bible is NOT complicated. People are complicated ... especially those who have been educated beyond their intelligence and/or have been complicated beyond repair.
Please do try to focus.
I know exactly what you said - and it'sa a LIE.
As I told you befoe - the BIBLE says youre wrong:

YOUR confusion stems from the test in RED . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There again is your lack of paying attention.

I said in post #49...
There are details of baptisms taking place with the Name of Jesus.

You gave quite the chicken dance pecking around the floor, I'll leave a dollar in your jar. But never-the-less, you failed to produce any scriptures using the words "Father, Son, Holy Ghost" in describing a baptism taking place. I'm still waiting.
Look - you're obviously having a hard time understanding the point - so I'l dumb-it-down a little . . .

There is not ONE example in the NT of a Baptism ritual being performed.
There are only descroiptions of Baptisms - as you posted.

Show me a SINGLE Baptism from START to FINISH - with all the words of the ritual AS the p[erson is being submerged or having the water pourrd OVER them.

It doesn't exist.
As I schooled you in my last post - we get the words from the Didache (Teachings of the Twelve Apostles).

PS - I noticed that you never said a WORD about the Didache, the words of Baptism it contains - OR the ending doxology of the Lord's Prayer ("For thine is the kingdom...") that is founf in the KJV from the Didache.
Ummmmm, WHY is that??

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look - you're obviously having a hard time understanding the point - so I'l dumb-it-down a little . . .

There is not ONE example in the NT of a Baptism ritual being performed.
There are only descroiptions of Baptisms - as you posted.

Show me a SINGLE Baptism from START to FINISH - with all the words of the ritual AS the p[erson is being submerged or having the water pourrd OVER them.

It doesn't exist.
As I schooled you in my last post - we get the words from the Didache (Teachings of the Twelve Apostles).

PS - I noticed that you never said a WORD about the Didache, the words of Baptism it contains - OR the ending doxology of the Lord's Prayer ("For thine is the kingdom...") that is founf in the KJV from the Didache.
Ummmmm, WHY is that??

I see your still doing your chicken dance pecking around the floor. There are details of baptisms taking place with the Name of Jesus...

Now then, show me baptisms in the same fashion above, using the words, "Father, Son, Holy Ghost"

I'm still waiting. <---insert jeopardy theme music--->

Status
Not open for further replies.