What is the name of the son per Matt 28:19?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s interesting that you see “camps” where people choose to ‘pitch their tents’...it’s true because God sees only two “camps”.....”wheat and weeds”.....or “sheep and goats”. There are only “two roads”....one leads to life....the other to destruction. (Matthew 7:13-14) So from God’s perspective things are very simple.....we are all in either one ‘camp’ or the other.....but we cannot count on knowing which ‘camp’ we are in until the judgment comes.
I referred to "camps" in a different context, AJ. My context was, generally and specifically speaking, that he's a Jehovah's Witness, and I'm... not. In that sense, we dwell in different camps.

So I generally agree with what you are saying, except that we can't count on knowing which camp we are in until the Judgment. Faith is the assurance ~ given by God ~ of things hoped for, of things unseen. We can know, we can be assured.

...we are assured that the “wheat” and the “sheep” are safe in this “time of the end” and are guided through these last days in unity and peace....this was Jesus’ promise in Matthew 28:19-20.
Right, so again, we can know. We can be assured. All God's promises have their 'yes' and 'amen' in Christ Jesus.

Grace and peace to you.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is all this? Matthew 28:19, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" NET v2.1 The name of the Son is Yeshua (Hebrew) or Jesus (English).
Amen.

So, to obey Matt 28:18 is to baptize in the name of the son...Jesus.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Can anyone tell me what this specific name is?

Thanks.
As I've shown you on numerous occasions - "In the name of" simply means, "By the AUTHORITY of".

I even gave you the folloing scholarly information with regards to this phrase - and you have chosen ro ignore it to your detriment. Instead - you continue to walow in ignorance because of your heretical "Oneness" beliefs . . .

From Macmillan Dictionary:
1. REPRESENTING someone or something
Ex. - They said they came “in the name of peace.”

From Cambridge Dictionary:
Ex. - "Open up in the name of the law" before they broke the door down.

From Thesaurus.com:
“In the name of” synonyms
1. THROUGH
2. THROUGH the agency of
3. Under the AUTHORITY of

From english.stackesxhange.com:
What does “in the name of…” actually mean?

Putting all religious contentions aside for the sake of our language, the etymology of name offers a good place to start understanding:

Old English nama, noma "name, reputation,"
from Proto-Germanic *namon

(cognates: Old Saxon namo, Old Frisian nama, Old High German namo, German Name, Middle Dutch name, Dutch naam, Old Norse nafn, Gothic namo "name"),

from PIE *nomn- (cognates: Sanskrit nama; Avestan nama; Greek onoma, onyma; Latin nomen; Old Church Slavonic ime, genitive imene; Russian imya; Old Irish ainm; Old Welsh anu "name").

In all cultures, people of authority have always lent their reputation and their authority to their delegates. The founders and leaders of religious movements use the same delegation strategies as the founders and leaders of nations.
The English phrase in the name of simply asserts the reputation and authority of another person.

Here us an example from classic literature:
Victor Hugo's Dramas” 1519, page 364:
“Richard Varney, in the name of God and Saint George we dub thee knight!”

Reactions: tigger 2

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I've shown you on numerous occasions - "In the name of" simply means, "By the AUTHORITY of".

I even gave you the folloing scholarly information with regards to this phrase - and you have chosen ro ignore it to your detriment. Instead - you continue to walow in ignorance because of your heretical "Oneness" beliefs . . .

From Macmillan Dictionary:
Ex. - They said they came “in the name of peace.”

From Cambridge Dictionary:
Ex. - "Open up in the name of the law" before they broke the door down.

From Thesaurus.com:
“In the name of” synonyms
1. THROUGH
2. THROUGH the agency of
3. Under the AUTHORITY of

From english.stackesxhange.com:
What does “in the name of…” actually mean?

Putting all religious contentions aside for the sake of our language, the etymology of name offers a good place to start understanding:

Old English nama, noma "name, reputation,"
from Proto-Germanic *namon

(cognates: Old Saxon namo, Old Frisian nama, Old High German namo, German Name, Middle Dutch name, Dutch naam, Old Norse nafn, Gothic namo "name"),

from PIE *nomn- (cognates: Sanskrit nama; Avestan nama; Greek onoma, onyma; Latin nomen; Old Church Slavonic ime, genitive imene; Russian imya; Old Irish ainm; Old Welsh anu "name").

In all cultures, people of authority have always lent their reputation and their authority to their delegates. The founders and leaders of religious movements use the same delegation strategies as the founders and leaders of nations.
The English phrase in the name of simply asserts the reputation and authority of another person.

Here us an example from classic literature:
Victor Hugo's Dramas” 1519, page 364:
“Richard Varney, in the name of God and Saint George we dub thee knight!”
Egad!

You still did not tell us what the name of the son is per Matt 28:19.

Even Roman Catholics with their endless commentaries are baffled about the name, Jesus.

They have seminaries for their priests that spend 8 years studying commentary, but don't know what the name of the son per Matt 28:19 is.

They even refrain from women to remain baffled.

Well, let me save you a lifetime of anguish and tell you the name of the son per Matt 28:19 is Jesus.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Acts 4:12

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other NAME under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

And that name is not "water".

Believe it.

"all that call on the NAME OF JESUS..... shall be Saved".

Jesus SAID...>"all that BELIEVE in ME.....i give unto YOU, eternal LIFE".

If you have ETERNAL LIFE, its because you are born again by the Holy Spirit and never is this by water.

Water gets you wet.
Only Jesus SAVES.

Reactions: mailmandan

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Egad!

You still did not tell us what the name of the son is per Matt 28:19.

Even Roman Catholics with their endless commentaries are baffled about the name, Jesus.

They have seminaries for their priests that spend 8 years studying commentary, but don't know what the name of the son per Matt 28:19 is.

They even refrain from women to remain baffled.

Well, let me save you a lifetime of anguish and tell you the name of the son per Matt 28:19 is Jesus.
And once again, Einstein - Matt. 29:19 never mentions the name of the Son.
Matt. 28:19
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

As I keepo having to remind you - the phrase, "In the name of" simply means, "By the Authority of".
You didn't do very well in school - did you?

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

As I keepo having to remind you - the phrase, "In the name of" simply means, "By the Authority of".

Matthew 28:19 is not the only account of the great commission...

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
[49] And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
[51] And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven.

What do you suppose "his name" is?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 28:19 is not the only account of the great commission...

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
[49] And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
[51] And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven.

What do you suppose "his name" is?
Once AGAIN - I refer you back to the scholarly evidence in post #23.
"In his name" = "By his AUTHORITY".

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once AGAIN - I refer you back to the scholarly evidence in post #23.
"In his name" = "By his AUTHORITY".

You missed my point. Let's try this again.

Matt 28:19 says Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

Where-as Luke 24:47 says "his name" ---- Do you know that one (1) person name?

What is this name...

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truther you are right ... some cannot say his NAME.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Truther

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You missed my point. Let's try this again.
Matt 28:19 says Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

Where-as Luke 24:47 says "his name" ---- Do you know that one (1) person name?

What is this name...
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
The verse that precedes this (v. 46) says that this is talking about the Messiah. The Messiah is Jesus Christ - but that is NOT the point of the OP.

The OP was trying to make the point that we must be BAPTIZED - and ONLY in the name of Jesus Christ. This is ignorant nonsense as Matt. 28:19 states explicitly:
"Go therefore and kmake disciples of lall nations, baptizing them in nthe name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"

I have already explained - ad nauseam - as has @Tiger 2 that the phrase, "In the name of" simply means, "By the Authority of".
Foe some inexplicable reason - neither YOU nor your equally-ignorant friend, @Truther seem to be able to grasp this.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - you're both wrong because you don't understand Biblical language.
Youlre both living examples of the dangers of personal interpretation . . .

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verse that precedes this (v. 46) says that this is talking about the Messiah. The Messiah is Jesus Christ - but that is NOT the point of the OP.

The OP was trying to make the point that we must be BAPTIZED - and ONLY in the name of Jesus Christ. This is ignorant nonsense as Matt. 28:19 states explicitly:
"Go therefore and kmake disciples of lall nations, baptizing them in nthe name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"

I have already explained - ad nauseam - as has @Tiger 2 that the phrase, "In the name of" simply means, "By the Authority of".
Foe some inexplicable reason - neither YOU nor your equally-ignorant friend, @Truther seem to be able to grasp this.

Congratulations you have actually stated his NAME (Jesus) - that was like pulling teeth.

Why is it, that NOBODY was ever baptized in the Bible with the words of Mat 28:19 spoken over them.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - you're both wrong because you don't understand Biblical language.
Youlre both living examples of the dangers of personal interpretation . . .

To hear some people's slide ruler explanations on this subject, would take having a law degree and library full of books, commentaries and research material for anyone to understand the Bible ... and that's just NOT the case. Peter, James and John were not highly educated men, but they turned their world upside down for Jesus.

The Bible is NOT complicated. People are complicated ... especially those who have been educated beyond their intelligence and/or have been complicated beyond repair.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 4:12

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other NAME under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

And that name is not "water".

Believe it.

"all that call on the NAME OF JESUS..... shall be Saved".

Jesus SAID...>"all that BELIEVE in ME.....i give unto YOU, eternal LIFE".

If you have ETERNAL LIFE, its because you are born again by the Holy Spirit and never is this by water.

Water gets you wet.
Only Jesus SAVES.

I think you are beginning to specifically see baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.

You too noticed that it takes a specific name in your post.

Nobody baptized in the name of "water" while being immersed.

Excellent analogy.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is the name of the son as specified by Jesus in the verse(Matt 28:19) that you posted, RC?

A....Jesus.

B....George.

C...Jeff?

D....son?

Pick one.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

tenor.gif
They run from the name of Jesus Christ.

They tremble at the thought of being baptized in Jesus name, too.

Yikes!

Last edited:
Reactions: user

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Catholic....what is the name of the son that Jesus commanded the disciples to baptize in per Matt 28:19?

Is the name "son"?

Is your name "son"?

Do you write "son" on your official documents?

Shall I call you "son" from now on?

If not, why not?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.