What is the name of the son per Matt 28:19?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Can anyone tell me what this specific name is?

Thanks.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Thanks.

"Hear, 0 Israel: the Lord our God is ONE LORD." (Deuteronomy 6:4). This commandment given to Israel is confirmed in the New Testament (Mark 12:29) and must be obeyed by all Christians today.

God, the invisible Spirit, has only revealed Himself to man by manifestations. Although there were various "theophanies" of God before the Incarnation (as the burning bush, pillar of fire and cloud, etc.), the scriptures teach that there are three offices in which God has manifested Himself to mankind. God manifested Himself as the Father in creation, the Son in redemption, and the Holy Spirit (Comforter) living in the hearts of believers as the "earnest" of our inheritance for the entire duration of the New Testament Church Dispensation until that which is perfect is come, which began on the Day of Pentecost in Acts Chapter 2.

Compare the following references to Lord:

The Lord God is the Creator. Isaiah 42:5
The Lord Jesus is the Creator. John 1:3

The Lord God said, "I am He." Isaiah 43:10
The Lord Jesus said, "I am He." John 8:24

The Lord God is the only Saviour. Isaiah 43:10-11
The Lord Jesus is the Saviour. Titus 1:4

The Lord God is the King of Israel. Isaiah 43:15
The Lord Jesus is the King of Israel. Matthew 27:37

The Lord God is the First and the Last. Isaiah 44:6
The Lord Jesus is the First and the Last. Revelation 1:8

The Lord God is Almighty. Genesis 17:1
The Lord Jesus is Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Hear, 0 Israel: the Lord our God is ONE LORD." (Deuteronomy 6:4). This commandment given to Israel is confirmed in the New Testament (Mark 12:29) and must be obeyed by all Christians today.

God, the invisible Spirit, has only revealed Himself to man by manifestations. Although there were various "theophanies" of God before the Incarnation (as the burning bush, pillar of fire and cloud, etc.), the scriptures teach that there are three offices in which God has manifested Himself to mankind. God manifested Himself as the Father in creation, the Son in redemption, and the Holy Spirit (Comforter) living in the hearts of believers as the "earnest" of our inheritance for the entire duration of the New Testament Church Dispensation until that which is perfect is come, which began on the Day of Pentecost in Acts Chapter 2.

Compare the following references to Lord:

The Lord God is the Creator. Isaiah 42:5
The Lord Jesus is the Creator. John 1:3

The Lord God said, "I am He." Isaiah 43:10
The Lord Jesus said, "I am He." John 8:24

The Lord God is the only Saviour. Isaiah 43:10-11
The Lord Jesus is the Saviour. Titus 1:4

The Lord God is the King of Israel. Isaiah 43:15
The Lord Jesus is the King of Israel. Matthew 27:37

The Lord God is the First and the Last. Isaiah 44:6
The Lord Jesus is the First and the Last. Revelation 1:8

The Lord God is Almighty. Genesis 17:1
The Lord Jesus is Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Awesome post!

I bet you know what the name of the son is per Matt 28:19.

Please tell us this name....

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His name is Jesus of course. More important, what is the name of the holy spirit?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His name is Jesus of course. More important, what is the name of the holy spirit?
Jesus.

• But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance...

The Holy Ghost answers when we call it "Jesus".

Reactions: GEN2REV

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus.

• But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance...

The Holy Ghost answers when we call it "Jesus".

Sending someone or something "in my name" or "in the name of" simply means "by my (or his) authority. For example as used in Matt. 28:19:

New Testament language experts tell us that “name” (onoma) usually refers to a personal name (or proper noun for a thing). So why do even some very trinitarian NT language experts (who certainly want it to mean a single personal name for three “persons”!) say that it really isn’t being used that way in Matt. 28:19?

Because as W. E. Vine, the NT language expert who is so highly respected by trinitarians, tells us that Bible phrases beginning “in the name of...” indicate that the secondary meaning of “authority” or “power” was intended by the Bible writer. - p. 772, An Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, Vine.

Therefore, Matt. 28:19 actually means: “baptizing them in recognition of the power [or the authority] of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy spirit.”

That W. E. Vine specifically includes Matt. 28:19 in this category can be further shown by his statement on p. 772 of his reference work. When discussing the secondary meaning of “name” (“authority,” “power”) he says that it is used

“in recognition of the authority of (sometimes combined with the thought of relying on or resting on), Matt. 18:20; cp. 28:19; Acts 8:16....”

Robertson’s Word Pictures in the New Testament, Vol.1, p. 245, makes the same admission when discussing Matt. 28:19:

“The use of name (onoma) here is a common one in the Septuagint and the papyri for power or authority.”

For example, see Acts 4:7 -- the Jews asked "By what power, or in what name, have ye done this? " Peter answered "in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth" (v. 10). ASV.

And, “So the two disciples were brought in before them. “By what power, or by whose authority have you done this?” the Council demanded.” - Acts 4:7, TLB. (Cf. NCV; ICB; EXB.)

Noted trinitarian scholars McClintock and Strong say in their Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature concerning Matthew 28:18-20:

"This text, however, taken by itself, would not prove decisively either the personality of the three subjects mentioned, or their equality or divinity." (1981 reprint, Vol. X, p. 552)

And trinitarian scholar Kittel in his Theological Dictionary of the New Testament:

"The N[ew] T[estament] does not actually speak of triunity. We seek this in vain in the triadic formulae [including Matthew 28:19] of the NT."

Reactions: Aunty Jane

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, tigger2... Heh, heh, heh... :) We know each other so well... :) At least you are acknowledging the Holy Spirit's personhood (whether you mean to or not)... :)

The name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is YHVH. They are One (the one and only Jehovah) in three Persons, and three Persons in One (again, the one and only Jehovah). "Comforter" (or "Helper," in other versions) is not the Holy Spirit's name, per se, or His title, as Christ is regarding Jesus, but really descriptive of His function, which is to teach us all things and bring to our remembrance all that Jesus has said to us, exactly as Jesus Himself said (John 14:26).

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited:

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, tigger2... Heh, heh, heh... :) We know each other so well... :) At least you are acknowledging the Holy Spirit's personhood (whether you mean to or not)... :)

The name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is YHVH. They are One (the one and only Jehovah) in three Persons, and three Persons in One (again, the one and only Jehovah). "Comforter" (or "Helper," in other versions) is not the Holy Spirit's name, per se, or His title, as Christ is regarding Jesus, but really descriptive of His function, which is to teach us all things and bring to our remembrance all that Jesus has said to us, exactly as Jesus Himself said (John 14:26).

Grace and peace to you.
David's sacrifice of praise in Ps. 86:6, 10-12 ASV tells us Jehovah alone is God. But is Jesus that "Jehovah only," that "God alone," (Ex. 22:20) to whom we must sacrifice (Heb. 13:15)?

Psalm 110 itself tells us the answer. As the inspired writer of the book of Hebrews himself tells us: Jesus our High Priest (and the High Priest of God cannot be that God whom he serves) "is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty [Jehovah] in the heavens." - Heb. 8:1, NRSV (or "at the place of greatest honor next to God himself" - Living Bible). This clearly refers to Psalm 110:1 (as even trinitarian reference Bibles show and as Heb. 10:12, 13 confirms).

Examining Ps. 110:1, we see that only one person is named Jehovah - and he is not Jesus who sits at the right hand of Jehovah!:

"Jehovah saith unto my Lord [Jesus] sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thine enemies thy footstool" - ASV.

Since we have a multitude of descriptions of the fulfillment of Ps. 110:1 in the NT, we should examine them all and see exactly who is Jehovah God and who is not.

Some background shows: The Most High God is Jehovah alone (Ps. 83:18). Jehovah is often called the Father (but he is never called the Son, the Firstborn, the Only-begotten, the Christ or Messiah, etc. - even many personal names of Israelites in the Bible actually said "Jehovah is the Father": "Abijah,' `Abiah,' `Joab,' etc. - but they never said anything remotely like `Jehovah is the Son' [or the Messiah, the Firstborn, etc.]!) - Deut. 32:6 ASV; Ps. 89:26, 27 (compare Heb. 1:5 and Ps. 2:7 ASV); Is. 63:16; Is. 64:8; Jer. 31:7, 9 ASV.

The God of the Israelites has always been the Father alone (also known by his personal name of Jehovah) as shown above. It is also shown in the NT when the Jews say to Jesus: "'we have one Father, even God.' Jesus said to them, `If God were your Father, you would love me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on my own initiative, but He sent Me.'" – John 8:41, 42, NASB.

Jehovah, the only Most High God (and the only true God) is the Father of Jesus - Luke 1:32; John 17:1, 3 ("Father,.... This is eternal life: to know thee who alone art truly God" - NEB). The God of the heavenly resurrected Jesus is his Father - Eph. 1:17; Rev. 1:6; Rev. 3:12. Jesus' Head is his GOD in the very same sense that man's head is Jesus! - 1 Cor. 11:3.

Even the trinitarian The Encyclopedia of Religion admits that, in the Holy Scriptures at least,

"`Father' is not a title for the first person of the Trinity but a synonym for God." - 1987, Vol. 15, p. 54.

Now let's look at the descriptions of the fulfillment of Ps. 110:1 (Jesus is to sit at the right hand of Jehovah until his enemies are made his footstool):

(1) Jesus sat down at the right hand of God - Acts 2:33-36; Ro. 8:34; Heb. 10:12, 13; 1 Pet. 3:22.

(2) Jesus sat down at the right hand of the Father - Eph. 1:17, 20; Rev. 3:21.

Jesus is obviously not the same person whom he sat beside! He sat down at the right hand of a single individual who alone has the only personal name "Jehovah" and who also has the exclusive title "the Most High God" and is Jesus' (and our) Father in heaven! Jesus is not even somehow equal to the person he sat beside. The highly respected (and highly trinitarian) The NIV Study Bible tells us in a footnote for Ps. 110:1,

"right hand....thus he [Christ] is made second in authority to God himself. NT references to Jesus' exaltation to this position are many (see Mk 16:19...Acts 2:33-36; ...Heb. 10:12-13)." [Compare the NIVSB footnote for Mark 16:19] - "right hand of God. A position of authority second only to God's." - The NIV Study Bible, Zondervan, 1985.

If Jesus is not Jehovah God (as all clear evidence proves he is not), and yet we continue giving "a sacrifice of praise" unto him as being Jehovah God (and that is precisely what is being done by any who accept or condone, even passively, the "orthodox" trinity doctrine), then we certainly do not know the only true God (John 17:1, 3 - cf, Jer. 10:10, ASV 1 Thess. 1:9, 10; 2 Thess. 1:8, 9) nor are we obeying the commands of God -

"He that sacrificeth unto any god [whether a righteous individual or a false god], save unto Jehovah only [through our High Priest, Jesus Christ - Heb. 13:15], shall be utterly destroyed." -Exodus 22:20, ASV.

"...if thou shalt forget Jehovah thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish." - Deut. 8:19, ASV.

Therefore, even though we may have grown up in this tradition and have been taught it, and even though we may sincerely believe with all our hearts (Jer. 17:9; Prov. 28:26, NASB; 2 Tim. 3:13-17) that we are God's people, we may well finally discover "there is no truth ... nor knowledge of God in the land"; and "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" (Hosea 4:1, 6 ASV); and that we are not worshiping God "in TRUTH" as we MUST - John 4:24; and

"the nations come from the ends of the earth, and shall say, Our fathers have inherited nought but lies .... and they shall know that my name is Jehovah." - Jer. 16:19, 21 ASV.

So, even though we may sincerely believe with the strongest faith possible that we are doing everything as Jesus commanded (and all those many around us whom we trust, like, and respect are doing the same), we may find that he rejects us, and that we are not among the few who have even found the narrow way that eventually "leadeth unto Life" - Matt. 7:21-23; Matt. 7:14. (No matter how sincerely you believe the liquid you are drinking is pure water, if your neighbor has put even one tiny drop of cyanide into it you will die anyway.)

Of course, before you can find the narrow way that leads to eternal life, you must actively and diligently seek it through proper study -

"if thou seek her [knowledge, wisdom] as silver, and search for her as for hid treasures: then shalt thou understand the fear of Jehovah, and find the knowledge of God." - Prov. 2:4, 5 ASV.

Conversely, of course, if 3 persons are really Jehovah and we do not give the "sacrifice of praise" equally to all 3 equal members as being the Most High God and "confess his [their?] name," then we still wouldn't know God (Jn 17:3; 2 Thess. 1:8, 9) and might still suffer the tragic consequences of being "destroyed for lack of knowledge"!

All trinitarians, at this point, are professing publicly (by their willing membership in organizations that teach that particular "knowledge of God," if nothing else) an acceptance of the trinity doctrine. Such an acceptance, whether open or not, is actually "a sacrifice of praise" to two other persons as being equally God with the Father.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aunty Jane

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heard it all before, tigger2. Many times over. It would be sort of interesting to know how many times you've cut and pasted what you did here. Too many, I expect. At any rate, thanks but no thanks.

You and I are very much alike in that we think the same thing of each other's understanding of God's inerrant, infallible word, the nature of God, and other very important issues, like the "camps" in which we dwell, and even our standing before the Father. So be it.

Grace and peace to you.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sending someone or something "in my name" or "in the name of" simply means "by my (or his) authority. For example as used in Matt. 28:19:

New Testament language experts tell us that “name” (onoma) usually refers to a personal name (or proper noun for a thing). So why do even some very trinitarian NT language experts (who certainly want it to mean a single personal name for three “persons”!) say that it really isn’t being used that way in Matt. 28:19?

Because as W. E. Vine, the NT language expert who is so highly respected by trinitarians, tells us that Bible phrases beginning “in the name of...” indicate that the secondary meaning of “authority” or “power” was intended by the Bible writer. - p. 772, An Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, Vine.

Therefore, Matt. 28:19 actually means: “baptizing them in recognition of the power [or the authority] of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy spirit.”

That W. E. Vine specifically includes Matt. 28:19 in this category can be further shown by his statement on p. 772 of his reference work. When discussing the secondary meaning of “name” (“authority,” “power”) he says that it is used

“in recognition of the authority of (sometimes combined with the thought of relying on or resting on), Matt. 18:20; cp. 28:19; Acts 8:16....”

Robertson’s Word Pictures in the New Testament, Vol.1, p. 245, makes the same admission when discussing Matt. 28:19:

“The use of name (onoma) here is a common one in the Septuagint and the papyri for power or authority.”

For example, see Acts 4:7 -- the Jews asked "By what power, or in what name, have ye done this? " Peter answered "in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth" (v. 10). ASV.

And, “So the two disciples were brought in before them. “By what power, or by whose authority have you done this?” the Council demanded.” - Acts 4:7, TLB. (Cf. NCV; ICB; EXB.)

Noted trinitarian scholars McClintock and Strong say in their Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature concerning Matthew 28:18-20:

"This text, however, taken by itself, would not prove decisively either the personality of the three subjects mentioned, or their equality or divinity." (1981 reprint, Vol. X, p. 552)

And trinitarian scholar Kittel in his Theological Dictionary of the New Testament:

"The N[ew] T[estament] does not actually speak of triunity. We seek this in vain in the triadic formulae [including Matthew 28:19] of the NT."
Is the name of the son that Jesus commanded them to baptize in, "son", or "Jesus"?

What did Peter think?

Can you point me to a verse that shows us Peter, whom was there with Matt etc, understood the son's name to be "Jesus"?

Well, here is what Peter thought the name of the son per the great commission was....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Do you think Peter's understanding of the Matt 28:19 commission was accurate, or should he have said something like this?...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of SON for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Does James Strong or the "experts" you speak of advocate the latter too?

Or, do the "experts" teach baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins like Peter did?

If your "experts" do not baptize in the name of Jesus Christ, they are not experts, but ignorant PHD's.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Grace and peace to you.
Is the name of the son "YHVH"?

Why dont you baptize in the name of YHVH?

Why do you repeat Jesus' command like a parrot and refuse to say whatever you think his name is?

Something like this?...

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of YHVH.

Maybe you know that is not the name of the son, so you must drop it entirely?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus inherited his name from his God per Heb 1:4.

This means his name belonged to his God first.

God did not just make up Jesus' name from a baby book, but named him after Himself.

This is why Jesus said "I am come in my Father's name.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the name of the son "YHVH"?

Why dont you baptize in the name of YHVH? Why do you repeat Jesus' command like a parrot and refuse to say whatever you think his name is? Something like this?...

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of YHVH.

Maybe you know that is not the name of the son, so you must drop it entirely?

Jesus inherited his name from his God per Heb 1:4. This means his name belonged to his God first. God did not just make up Jesus' name from a baby book, but named him after Himself. This is why Jesus said "I am come in my Father's name.
Ugh. :) Again, you're moniker just speaks volumes to me. :)

Grace and peace to you, Truther.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You and I are very much alike in that we think the same thing of each other's understanding of God's inerrant, infallible word, the nature of God, and other very important issues, like the "camps" in which we dwell, and even our standing before the Father. So be it.
It’s interesting that you see “camps” where people choose to ‘pitch their tents’...it’s true because God sees only two “camps”.....”wheat and weeds”.....or “sheep and goats”. There are only “two roads”....one leads to life....the other to destruction. (Matthew 7:13-14) So from God’s perspective things are very simple.....we are all in either one ‘camp’ or the other.....but we cannot count on knowing which ‘camp’ we are in until the judgment comes.

God has appointed his son as judge, representing his Father in many roles throughout mankind’s history. So what does the judge do at the final judgment on this world that we see fast approaching?
He separates these two *camps* into clearly identifiable groups.....ones who worship the Father as Jesus still does even in heaven....and those who have been hoodwinked into subscribing to a counterfeit system of worship that was created by the devil a very long time ago....one that misrepresents Jehovah and his son to their charges, and teaches what is not in God’s word. They have taught people with fear and they have lied to them for centuries.

The one thing they have in common is their cluelessness.
The “goats” are unaware of their failures. (Matthew 25:31-46) The “sheep” are just doing what all Christians should do without any thought of a reward. Helping Christ’s “brothers” is natural for them.

The “weeds” or counterfeit Christians are also unaware of their failure to teach and embrace the truth of God’s word, ignoring the fact that Jesus and his apostles foretold an apostasy that would overtake the Christian Faith like weeds choking out valuable plants in a garden. All these agricultural references had meaning to an agricultural society. Are they lost on us?

In Matthew 7:21-23 Jesus tells the “weeds” that he has “NEVER” known them. This means that he has not acknowledged these “Christians” as his true disciples since their beginnings, despite their protests and reminding Jesus of all the things they did “in his name”. He rejects them completely.

This foretold apostasy was taking place even while the apostles were still alive, but with God’s spirit acting though them, the apostles kept it at bay until the last words of the Christian scriptures were recorded, then the restraint was removed. (2 Thessalonians 2:6-12)

The downhill decent into full blown apostasy was gradual and finally achieved with the birth of Christendom, beginning with the Roman Catholic church, which introduced all manner of false religious beliefs and practices, and maintained tremendous power even over the kings of the earth. That power corrupted them to their core, so that the faith they practiced did not resemble the original in any way. That foundation was the basis for all the denominations that arose after the Reformation. Blind guides led other blind guides until we see what we have today......what a divided mess “Christianity” (Christendom) has become! Who can make sense of this confusion? The devil knows how to create this confusion.....give free willed people too many choices.

Yet, we are assured that the “wheat” and the “sheep” are safe in this “time of the end” and are guided through these last days in unity and peace....this was Jesus’ promise in Matthew 28:19-20.

Only those teaching the same Bible truth as Jesus did will survive these end times despite all the turmoil created by power hungry nations. We will be no part of any of that. (John 18:36) We will be found doing what Jesus commanded.....searching for deserving ones, (Matthew 10:11-14; Acts 20:20) making disciples and teaching them. (Matthew 24:14) These then will take the initiative to become baptised disciples of Christ Jesus in full recognition of the roles that Jehovah, his son and God’s holy spirit have played in guiding their spiritual journey. They in turn will repeat the process.

What does the future hold? Time will tell, but the Bible does too for those who are listening.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ugh. :) Again, you're moniker just speaks volumes to me. :)

Grace and peace to you, Truther.
All I am saying is that Jesus' name was another name the Father had but gave also to His only begotten son.

Man can do it but God cannot?

I trow not.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks.
"Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by Him doth this man stand here before you whole."
"Neither is there salvation in any other name: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
Acts 4:10, 12

Reactions: Truther

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by Him doth this man stand here before you whole."
"Neither is there salvation in any other name: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
Acts 4:10, 12
Amen...Acts 2:38 is that salvational name.

Reactions: GEN2REV

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is all this? Matthew 28:19, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" NET v2.1 The name of the Son is Yeshua (Hebrew) or Jesus (English).

Reactions: michaelvpardo

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Jesus says at the end of Matthew 28 (baptize in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost) does not conflict in any way with what Peter says in Acts 2 (be baptized in the name of Jesus).

When Jesus gave the Great Commission, He was sending His followers into all the world to make disciples “of all nations” (Matthew 28:19). In the pagan world, they would encounter those who knew absolutely nothing about One True God, idolatrous people who were “without hope and without God in the world” (Ephesians 2:12). In preaching the gospel to such people, the apostles would necessarily have to include teaching on what God is like, including His triune nature.

NOTE: Notice with what basic information Paul begins his address to the Athenians (pagans) in Acts 17... "I perceive that in every way you are very religious. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription: ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you...")

Those who received the gospel and were baptized would be converting to an entirely different religious system and embracing a new understanding of who God is.

In contrast, Peter was speaking on the Day of Pentecost to faithful Jewish people who already had an understanding of God the Father and God’s Spirit. The part of the equation they were missing was Jesus, the Son of God ~ and without Jesus, they could not be saved (Acts 4:12). In presenting the gospel to the Jews, Peter commands them to be baptized in Jesus’ name; that is, to exercise faith in the One they had crucified. They had professed the Father and the Spirit, but they needed to profess the Son. Those who received the gospel that day devoted themselves to the lordship of Jesus. They no longer rejected Him but acknowledged Him as their Messiah and only Hope for salvation.

We should consider the standard formula for Christian baptism to be in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Peter’s emphasis on the name of Jesus is understandable, given that he was speaking to the very same Jews who had before rejected and denied Jesus as their Messiah.

Grace and peace to all.

Reactions: Cassandra
Status
Not open for further replies.