What is the one true Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can get into a long debate as to why you’re WRONG about that – but, for the sake of this argument – let’s just assume you’re correct.

What do you do with the archaeological evidence from Middle Eastern carvings and Egyptian tomb paintings?
They have much longer hair on Jesus in the photos of him. Those paintings were done by those living in darkness.

• Haha
Reactions: Brakelite

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Catechism:

ARTICLE 1
THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua),4 and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."5

1256 The ordinary ministers of baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon. In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of baptism for salvation.

Here are 2 links to online Catechisms of the Catholic Church:
Saint Charles Borromeo Catholic Church of Picayune, MS - Faith - Catechism of the Catholic Church - Table of Contents with Paragraph Numbers

https://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Thanks. I guess I was under the mistaken impression that the church taught that salvation is only possible through them.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Catechism:

ARTICLE 1
THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua),4 and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."5

1256 The ordinary ministers of baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon. In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of baptism for salvation.

Here are 2 links to online Catechisms of the Catholic Church:
Saint Charles Borromeo Catholic Church of Picayune, MS - Faith - Catechism of the Catholic Church - Table of Contents with Paragraph Numbers

https://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Thanks. I guess I was under the mistaken impression that the church taught that salvation is only possible through them.

“There is but one universal Church of the faithful, outside which no one at all is saved.” (Pope Innocent III, Fourth Lateran Council, 1215.)
“We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff.” (Pope Boniface VIII, the Bull Unam Sanctam, 1302.)

• Wow
Reactions: Brakelite and Pearl

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They have much longer hair on Jesus in the photos of him. Those paintings were done by those living in darkness.
No - they were largely done by Christian artists.
And there are no photos of Jesus . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's interesting that you quote the scriptures pertaining to the same incident 3 times. And yet not one of them is saying what you claim. Where does the scripture say Jesus fulfilled the Sabbath?
Since when has the word fulfill meant changed, altered, switched, abrogated, cancelled, adjusted, or finished? In the sermon on the mount Jesus said He didn't come to do away with the law, but to fulfill. I would very much like you to reason this in a way that defends your contrary take on the concept of fulfilling.
So long as I reject this fact? Really? As if I am the one who is acting contrary to scripture? A "fact" doesn't become a fact as a result of repeated assertions. Why would I not reject something that you've made up? Sunday 'sacredness' and the rejection of the 4th commandment as written by the finger of God is a Catholic tradition with no foundation in scripture, and Protestant loyalty to Sunday is an act of submission to Catholic authority, not scriptural authority.

The council of Trent settled the argument in favor of the Catholic Church that tradition superceded scripture by clarifying the fact that it was the Catholic Church that changed the day from the 7th day to the first day. This gave Catholics the upper hand against the Protestants who were promoting Sola scriptura, the Protestants themselves holding to tradition contrary to the scriptures in their observance of the 1st day of the week, Sunday. You can read all about it by googling Council of Trent, Archbishop Gaspare Ricciullo del Fosso . Read his speech and how he confirmed tradition as the superior source and standard for faith and practice for the Catholic Church.
Your pretensions that Sunday sacredness or rest and the cessation of the Sabbath are based on scripture are just that.... Pretensions, and your own church admits as much in it's most prestigious council.
Jesus encapsulated the heart of this teaching in TWO verses that seems to have eluded SDAs – indeed ALL radical Sabbatarians,

After eating the bread meant for the Temple priests and giving some to his disciples, He said:
Mark 2:27-28
“The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”

Paul drives this point home in Col. 2:16-17 another passage that is always twisted by SDAs
Col. 2:16-17

Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon OR A SABBATH.

These are a SHADOW of the things to come, but the SUBSTANCE belongs to Christ

The very FIRST mention of the Sabbath in ALL of Scripture is when the Israelites are in the desert Ex 16:23-30. God commands them to take a day of rest and eat what they gathered.

WHAT did they gather? Jesus tells us about that in John 6:
John 6:31-34

“Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’” Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”

Read CAREFULLY what Jesus says next . . .
John 6:35

Jesus said to them, “I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

HE is the entire reason for the Sabbath – and He FULFILLED it with His death and resurrection.
- It was INSTITUTED for the eating of the Bread from Heaven (Manna).
- It was FULFILLED by the eating of the Br4ad of Life (Jesus).

This is why the NT Church gathered on the LORD’S Day – the FIRST day of the week (Acts 20:7, 1 Cor. 16:2, Rev. 1:10) - and NOT on the Sabbath which has been fulfilled.

And this is ALSO why the Apostles did NOT impose the Law on Gentile Christians as we read in their letter in Acts 15:23-29.
The Sabbath, which POINTED to Jesus – was FUFILLED by Him.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - they were largely done by Christian artists.
And there are no photos of Jesus . . .
The real christians were murdered. The son of destruction( peredition) stoodup- 2Thess 2:3--these made the paintings.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The real christians were murdered. The son of destruction( peredition) stoodup- 2Thess 2:3--these made the paintings.
So, if all of the “real” Christians were murdered – then Jesus Christ is a LIAR, by YOUR estimation.
He guaranteed that His Chru8ch would NOT succumb to darkness (Matt. 16:18).

Good luck telling HIM He was
wrong . . .

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, if all of the “real” Christians were murdered – then Jesus Christ is a LIAR, by YOUR estimation.
He guaranteed that His Chru8ch would NOT succumb to darkness (Matt. 16:18).

Good luck telling HIM He was
wrong . . .
His religion never succumb to darkness as you put it. Those religions that rose up weren't his. They just claim to be his but do not listen to him.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His religion never succumb to darkness as you put it. Those religions that rose up weren't his. They just claim to be his but do not listen to him.
Well, if all of the “real” Christians were murdered as YOU claimed – then His Church DID succumb to darkness.

The fact is that there is ONE Church – and men splintered off from that ONE Church and formed tens of thousands of perpetually-splintering denominations of that ONE Church.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if all of the “real” Christians were murdered as YOU claimed – then His Church DID succumb to darkness.

The fact is that there is ONE Church – and men splintered off from that ONE Church and formed tens of thousands of perpetually-splintering denominations of that ONE Church.
Splinters into a house divided it will not stand. Jesus' one religion came back here in these last days and corrected all the errors made through the centuries.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God can and does use all manner of means by which to love and mature and teach His children. But at no time will any of it be contrary to His written word. The scriptures are the final arbiter and safeguard against all deception. If we obey and follow that word, God cannot condemn us.

Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.

This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.

If Rome is your stumbling block brother, then come to the Feast with Alexandria! Come with Constantinople!

But Come!

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." Let the hearer say, "Come." Let the one who thirsts come forward, and the one who wants it receive the gift of life-giving water.

Pax et Bonum

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Splinters into a house divided it will not stand. Jesus' one religion came back here in these last days and corrected all the errors made through the centuries.
WRONG.
In order for His Church to "comeback" - it had to have gone away.
YOU
may think Jesus is a liar - but He's NOT.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You didn't read the post I was responding to - did you?
Yes he did, and so did I.
Scroll back, and read the first post a b o u t. p h o t o s
After you do......t h i n k for a minute and take a deep breath before you post again. :)

In case you missed it, he was referring about photos of paintings and statues. For crying out loud.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wow, just wow
He said succumb to darkness--like the religion that came out of Rome was and all her branches--they were never his. They are a house divided, they will not stand--Jesus has1 single religion, this is a true mark-1Cor 1:10-Unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth) no division.