What is the one true Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us...” — John 17:20, 21

It is often asked, “What is the right denomination?” There are hundreds, if not thousands of denominations all claiming to be this one true church, but does God recognize any of these as His representative on earth? This subject should be approached prayerfully and honestly. If there was but one church in the beginning, established by our Lord, there should be but the one church in the end — the church triumphant in glory. Colossians 3:4

The word church was first used in the New Testament and is a translation of the Greek word ekklesia, which means a calling out. Jesus said to his disciples, “I have chosen you out of the world.” (John 15:19) The true church is a company of believers who, in accepting the invitation of Christ, have become sanctified or separated from the world, worldly pursuits and worldly organizations.

Those of the early church bore no denominational names, but were simply identified by their location. “Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, …sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints…” (1 Corinthians 1:2) These sanctified individuals in various communities set themselves apart from the world and dedicate their lives to God through the merit of His Son. Thus, the true church is not a place to go to, nor is it a denomination to belong to. The church is the gathering of sincere believers. Paul emphasized this when he confirmed that Jesus’ followers were baptized only into Christ and not into an earthly organization. There is but one baptism, and that is into Christ. Thus, it is a misconception that one joins or is baptized into a particular church denomination. Ephesians 4:4-6; Galatians 3:27; Romans 6:3, 4
those that cling to a religion or denomination I don't believe understand THE CHURCH. I'm a follower of Christ and attend a baptist church but don't mean I agree with everything said or taught, it has to be revealed as Truth from the Holy Spirit.

• Love
Reactions: Pearl

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to be a Jew, be a Jew....In the mean time, the Mosaic Law does not apply to Christians.
WRONG.

BOTH Jesus and Paul make mention of the Commandments in the MT:
Mark 10:17–19.

17 uAnd as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and vknelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to winherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: x‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.”

Rom 13:9
9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

ALL Ten Commandments are listed as requirements on the pages of the Mew Testament . . .
Do not worship any other gods/idols (1 Cori. 8:6; 1 Tim. 2:5, 1 John 5:21)
Do not misuse the name of the LORD (1 Tim. 6:1)
Christians are released the believer from the Sabbath rule (Col. 2:16 ). Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath, has become for us our Sabbath rest (Heb. 4:1–11).
Honor your father and your mother (Eph. 6:1–2)
Do not murder (Rom. 13:9; 1 Pet. 4:15)
Do not commit adultery (1 Cor. 6:9–10)
Do not steal (Eph. 4:28)
Do not bear false witness (Rev. 21:8)

Do not covet (Col. 3:5) 

Your rejection of the Commandments as being "unnecessary" is a Biblical condemnation on YOU - not me.
Sometimes it is best not to argue with those that don't have ear to hear and eyes to see. You stated and backed with with scripture and they are not able to hear.

God will reveal Truth to the ones HE has predestined and called.

Reactions: Grailhunter

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes it is best not to argue with those that don't have ear to hear and eyes to see. You stated and backed with with scripture and they are not able to hear.

God will reveal Truth to the ones HE has predestined and called.
I understand what you mean.

There are too many people out there claiming to be followers of Christ who are inventing their own doctrines and precepts, abandoning those of the One they claim to follow.

Reactions: TheOneHeLoves

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand what you mean.

There are too many people out there claiming to be followers of Christ who are inventing their own doctrines and precepts, abandoning those of the One they claim to follow.
you do see Catholicism as one those religions right?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 13:9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
This is true. Notice that the phrase Ten Commandments still does not occur and I already explained that the basic morals came forward. But it is limited to that....Paul is showing some connection between his ministry and the Jews because there is still hope that they will convert. He is not going to say to Keep the Sabbath Holy....because Christians do not observe the Jewish Saturday Sabbath and he is not going to mention the prohibition of engraved images.

And I have already given you the scriptures that prove that we....Christians are not under the Mosaic Law.

Mark 10:17–19.
17 uAnd as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and vknelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to winherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: x‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.”
So following the Mosaic Law can get you to heaven? That is a different religion than what Christians believe. Why don't you give us some speculations on that.....any reason for Christ? The oddness of this scripture is similar to..... you have to hate your mother and father to be Christ's disciple. Christ saying the Mosaic Law could get you to heaven would nullify the purpose of Him being there.

On the other hand, the parts that state the basic morals.....are perfectly appropriate. During Christ's ministry nothing had changed....they are still under the Mosaic Law..... If the man would have asked Christ how to be right with God....stating all of the Ten Commandments or sighting the 613 Mosaic Laws would have been correct.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is true. Notice that the phrase Ten Commandments still does not occur and I already explained that the basic morals came forward. But it is limited to that....Paul is showing some connection between his ministry and the Jews because there is still hope that they will convert. He is not going to say to Keep the Sabbath Holy....because Christians do not observe the Jewish Saturday Sabbath and he is not going to mention the prohibition of engraved images.

And I have already given you the scriptures that prove that we....Christians are not under the Mosaic Law.

So following the Mosaic Law can get you to heaven? That is a different religion than what Christians believe. Why don't you give us some speculations on that.....any reason for Christ? The oddness of this scripture is similar to..... you have to hate your mother and father to be Christ's disciple. Christ saying the Mosaic Law could get you to heaven would nullify the purpose of Him being there.

On the other hand, the parts that state the basic morals.....are perfectly appropriate. During Christ's ministry nothing had changed....they are still under the Mosaic Law..... If the man would have asked Christ how to be right with God....stating all of the Ten Commandments or sighting the 613 Mosaic Laws would have been correct.
Ummmmm, the phrase, "The Ten Commandments" doesn't appear ANYWHERE in the Bible - OT or NT. That doesn't mean we're NOT bound by them.
If that's your reason for NOT adhering to them - that's pretty WEAK . . .

And NO - you haven't given a SINGLE verse to support your fallacy that we are NOT bound by them. You gave me verses that pertain to the dietary, cleanliness and ceremonial Laws. The Commandments revolve around the MORAL Law, which transcends the
Mosaic Law.

You need to address the verses I presented in post #1440 . . .

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmmm, the phrase, "The Ten Commandments" doesn't appear ANYWHERE in the Bible - OT or NT.
LOL you so funny....the phrase Ten Commandments appears 3 times in the Old Testament but does not appear in the New Testament. The fact that they do not appear in the New Testament is just a fact......The reason that we are not under the Mosaic Law is made absolutely clear by all the scriptures that say we are not under the Mosaic Law.

And NO - you haven't given a SINGLE verse to support your fallacy that we are NOT bound by them. You gave me verses that pertain to the dietary, cleanliness and ceremonial Laws. The Commandments revolve around the MORAL Law, which transcends the Mosaic Law.

Reading comprehension problem? None of the verses I gave you are about dietary, cleanliness, or ceremonial laws....they are general statements on the Law as a whole.

And no, the Ten Commandments do not transcend the Mosaic Law. The Ten Commandments in chapter 20 of Exodus are summaries of Laws....the full explaination of the Laws are in the body of the Mosaic Laws. The Commandments that God called the Ten Commandments and told Moses to write them on the Tablets of the Testimony are in Exodus 34:11-28 and take note to the last verse.

The Apostle Paul had nothing good to say about the Law and explained in detail that we are not under the Law. You need to read each scripture carefully because they are very clear and powerful statements.

2nd Corinthians 3:7-8 But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory?

1st Corinthians 9:20 “And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law, through not being myself under the Law, that I might win those who are under the Law;”

Romans 4:15 “for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, neither is there violation.”

Romans 6:14 “For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.”

Romans 6:15 “What then? Are we to sin because we are not under the Law but under grace?”

Romans 8:2 “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath me free from the law of sin and death.”

Romans 7:6 “But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.”

Romans 7:8 “But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead.”

2nd Corinthians 3:3 “being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts.”

Galatians 3:12 “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us.....”

This follows Paul’s statement saying You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you….
Galatians 4:21 “Tell me, you who want to be under the law, do you not listen to the law?”

Galatians 3:10 “For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.”

Galatians 3:24-25 “So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,”

Galatians 5:18 “But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.”

Galatians 2:16 “Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.”

Galatians 2:21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

Galatians 5:4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

Hebrews 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for the second.

Hebrews 8:13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Romans 3:20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL you so funny....the phrase Ten Commandments appears 3 times in the Old Testament but do not appear in the New Testament. The fact that they do not appear in the New Testament is just a fact......The reason that we are not under the Mosaic Law is made absolutely clear by all the scriptures that say we are not under the Mosaic Law.
Please provide the Chapter and Verse for each occasions.
Reading comprehension problem? None of the verses I gave you are about dietary, cleanliness, or ceremonial laws....they are general statements on the Law as a whole.

And no, the Ten Commandments do not transcend the Mosaic Law. The Ten Commandments in chapter 20 of Exodus are summaries of Laws....the full explaination of the Laws are in the body of the Mosaic Laws. The Commandments that God called the Ten Commandments and told Moses to write them on the Tablets of the Testimony are in Exodus 34:11-28 and take note to the last verse.
WRONG.

The Mosaic Law in includes dietary restrictions, cleanliness rules and ceremonial statutes that are NOT included in the Ten Commandments.

The Apostle Paul had nothing good to say about the Law and explained in detail that we are not under the Law. You need to read each scripture carefully because they are very clear and powerful statements.

2nd Corinthians 3:7-8 But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory?

1st Corinthians 9:20 “And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law, through not being myself under the Law, that I might win those who are under the Law;”

Romans 4:15 “for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, neither is there violation.”

Romans 6:14 “For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.”

Romans 6:15 “What then? Are we to sin because we are not under the Law but under grace?”

Romans 8:2 “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath me free from the law of sin and death.”

Romans 7:6 “But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.”

Romans 7:8 “But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead.”

2nd Corinthians 3:3 “being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts.”

Galatians 3:12 “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us.....”

This follows Paul’s statement saying You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you….
Galatians 4:21 “Tell me, you who want to be under the law, do you not listen to the law?”

Galatians 3:10 “For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.”

Galatians 3:24-25 “So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,”

Galatians 5:18 “But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.”

Galatians 2:16 “Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law because by works of the lawno one will be justified.”

Galatians 2:21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

Galatians 5:4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

Hebrews 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for the second.

Hebrews 8:13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Romans 3:20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
"WORKS of the Law" should have been a RED flag . . .

NOT murdering, NOT stealing, NOT coveting, Bot bearing false witness, NOT using the Lord’s name in vain, NOT worshiping false gods and NOT considered “Works of the Law”.

As I stated before – they are repeated in the New Testament by Jesus (Mark 10:17), Paul and John . . .

Do not worship any other gods/idols (1 Cori. 8:6; 1 Tim. 2:5, 1 John 5:21)
Do not misuse the name of the LORD (1 Tim. 6:1)
Christians are released the believer from the Sabbath rule (Col. 2:16 ). Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath, has become for us our Sabbath rest (Heb. 4:1–11).
Honor your father and your mother (Eph. 6:1–2)
Do not murder (Rom. 13:9; 1 Pet. 4:15)
Do not commit adultery (1 Cor. 6:9–10)
Do not steal (Eph. 4:28)
Do not bear false witness (Rev. 21:8)
Do not covet
(Col. 3:5) 

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is not following scripture/Jesus.
No.

The Catholic Church is the Original Tree from which Protestantism splintered - and continues to splinter.
It is the Original Bible Church.

As a matter of fact, if it weren't for the Catholic Church YOU and the rest of Christianity wouldn't even HAVE a Bible.
It was compiled and declared Canon by the Catholic Church in the 4th century.

Reactions: Johann

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please provide the Chapter and Verse for each occasions.
LOL You giving me homework.....first off the phrase Ten Commandments....does not appear in chapter 20. Later on the Commandments in chapter 34 are referred to as the Ten Commandments two times. These are a different set of Commandments. In the end the Commandments in chapter 20 are never specifically called the Ten Commandments.

In Exodus 34:11-28 God calls a different set of Commandments the Ten Commandments, specifically note verse 28.

Then in Deuteronomy in chapter 4 the Commandments in Exodus chapter 34 are more or less reiterated and called the Ten Commandments in verse 13.

Then in Deuteronomy chapter 10 the story of the Ten Commandments is told specifically note verse 4 but the Commandments are not listed so it can be referring to the Commandments in chapter 20 or 34.

In Deuteronomy 5:6-21 The Commandments in chapter 20 are repeated in a different order and they are not called the Ten Commandments.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL You giving me homework.....first off the phrase Ten Commandments....does not appear in chapter 20. Later on the Commandments in chapter 34 are referred to as the Ten Commandments two times. These are a different set of Commandments. In the end the Commandments in chapter 20 are never specifically called the Ten Commandments.

In Exodus 34:11-28 God calls a different set of Commandments the Ten Commandments, specifically note verse 28.

Then in Deuteronomy in chapter 4 the Commandments in Exodus chapter 34 are more or less reiterated and called the Ten Commandments in verse 13.

Then in Deuteronomy chapter 10 the story of the Ten Commandments is told specifically note verse 4 but Commandments are not listed so it can be referring to the Commandments in chapter 20 or 34.

In Deuteronomy 5:6-21 The Commandments in chapter 20 are repeated in a different order and they are not called the Ten Commandments.
Actually, in every instance - the Hebrew word, הדברים (daw-baw) doesn’t translate as “Commandments” – but as “Words”, “Sayings” or “Utterances”.

Now – how about addressing the fact that those Commandments are listed and repeated in the New Testament as a
requirement?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, in every instance - the Hebrew word, הדברים (daw-baw) doesn’t translate as “Commandments” – but as “Words”, “Sayings” or “Utterances”.
Correct

Now – how about addressing the fact that those Commandments are listed and repeated in the New Testament as a requirement?
They are a requirement.....for the Jews and they are still a requirement for the Jews. The Mosaic Law never stopped. They pretty much define the Old Covenant with God.

Christians have a New Covenant with God and the Mosaic law is no part of it.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That being said – ALL Trinitarian Christians are incorporated into the Church through Baptism, but are self-separated.

Is that taught in the catechism?

By the way, is there an online catechism wherein users can type in a word and then click "search" to find it in the catechism?

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.

As I educated you friend Grailhunter -
It CANNOT be against the making of images because God would have been guilty of violating His own commandment – and for telling Moses to violate it.

Additionally, if it was against BOTH – then there would be an ELEVERNTH Commandment.

YOUR drclaring it a sin does NOT make it a sin - or ALL of the pictures in your wallet, phone and mantle at home would be an aboniable sin.
Even their pictures of Jesus with long hair, portrays to the world that he brings dishonor to his Fathers name 1Cor 11:14--It is a dishonor for an Israelite male to have long hair. The only exceptions were the Nazarites,( Samson) not Nazarenes. Simple bible milk yet they cant even understand that after 17 or 18 centuries. Does one really want to put their eternal lives into the hands that cannot even understand simple bible milk?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
YOU decide who is teaching in harmony with Scripture
Of course! I have an obligation and a responsibility to not only myself, but my family, neighbors, and strangers, that my witness and testimony to Jesus, the Way Truth, and Life, is in fact I'm harmony with scripture, otherwise I might be found to be a liar, and leading others into perdition.
How do you decide whether your teachers are telling you the truth? On what basis do you judge their integrity, sincerity and faithfulness to Truth?

"To the law and to the testimony, if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Isaiah 8:20.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting. A typical protestant apologetic for disobeying the 4th commandment which your own church in the past has condemned as unbiblical having no real foundation in scripture, those scriptures you quoted not saying what you want them to say.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He is not going to say to Keep the Sabbath Holy....because Christians do not observe the Jewish Saturday Sabbath and he is not going to mention the prohibition of engraved images.
I think you should have said, Paul did not say, keep the Sabbath holy. The reason he didn't say that was likely (not wanting to read his mind) , because he didn't need to. The Sabbath was well known among the entire middle east as a Jewish tradition. The Jewish converts themselves didn't need to be told. The Gentile converts didn't need to be told. The Christian church for those first few centuries observed the Sabbath.
The silence of scriptures regarding the protests of the new Jewish converts regarding the sudden abandonment of the day their entire culture (except in times of apostasy) held in reverence for thousands of years, as well as the silence of scripture regarding a "thus sayeth the Lord" will echo throughout eternity.