What is the purpose of prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People talk about the 'power of prayer' and how amazing the results are if you pray in a certain way and with a particular intention or state of the heart. Yet, often times prayer goes unanswered and we are left to wonder where God is or even if there is a God at all.

Jesus tells us to pray to God for all our needs......however, this can seem fruitless if the prayers go unanswered.

So why are we called to pray?
What do you believe about prayer?
How does God's will play a role in prayer?
How do you pray?
What are some of the experience you've had with prayer?
What is the role of intercessory prayer?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that the ultimate end of prayer is to glorify God. It does this by focusing the mind on God.

One of my absolute favorite verses is this:

II Chronicles 7:14 NIV
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

We think of prayer as only asking for needs, desires, and wants, but I think it is supposed to be so much more based on verses like the above. Elsewhere God literally says to remind Him (Genesis 32:9 and Isaiah 46:26) of what He said. It's not like God is forgetful. Instead, He wants us to show we know and trust Him. It's not asking a sugardaddy for something.

People talk about the 'power of prayer' and how amazing the results are if you pray in a certain way and with a particular intention or state of the heart. Yet, often times prayer goes unanswered and we are left to wonder where God is or even if there is a God at all.

I can speak well to this, there are certain times that there is a really intense focus and you know that a prayer will come true. Let me be honest and say this doesn't happen a whole lot, but when it does it's an amazing feeling! The clarity is perhaps the most striking thing when I think about those moments.

As to answer the remainder of your questions in a little paragraph, I'd say there are numerous misconceptions about prayer. It doesn't always work how we want it to work. I think many times the way we want a mountain to move is not the way God moves the mountain. I know that's a common argument of an atheist or agnostic as well, but that's the part about faith. We have faith that an omnipotent God takes that prayer a weaves it into a much larger plan than the moment. As for the nature of prayer, it's a conversation with God:

Matthew 6:6
But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Prayer is not about the outward appearance. I go back to it being a conversation. There are some awesome prayers in the Bible we can all take an example from, but I firmly believe Jesus meets us where we are. Instead of being cookie-cutter templates, the Biblical examples are templates for us to expand outward. I'm not exactly putting the recent Nascar Prayer (Youtube it if you haven't seen it) on par with the Lord's Prayer, but I think people feel like you have to pray in high language to God or something. I've seen/heard people break out the "thou" and "thee's" like it's gonna make God do more, but the truth is God is listening. I don't think we should feel the burden to pray for an extended period of time as well - some people remark about the statements in the Bible about praying without ceasing. If Paul had done that as some suppose, then there would never have been a New Testament (or at least a very large portion of it) and no ministering would have been done/. I think prayer comes at all times and not just in closets, at church, or at night.

Reactions: Angelina

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus tells us to pray to God for all our needs......however, this can seem fruitless if the prayers go unanswered.

So why are we called to pray?
What do you believe about prayer?
How does God's will play a role in prayer?
How do you pray?
What are some of the experience you've had with prayer?
What is the role of intercessory prayer?
Too many questions, aspen!

I have spoken so much about prayer in my life.

I have never had a prayer not answered.

Big statement - I usually look directly into someone's eyes when I say that so they can see.
There are many types of prayer. Who knew?
I have many books that I have read regarding prayer, explaining with extensive study of Bible verses.

Many people ask why their prayers or petitions have not been answered - there can be so many reasons. A double minded man cannot expect to be answered - James in Ch 1.
Say, you pray for a friend - or you pray for a job ---but your subconscience or conscious thoughts really don't want that job, really - or you don't think your friend deserves to be helped.
Double-minded.
Or maybe you don't really think you deserved to get that job - there must be a lesson to be learned because you are such a bad person and on and on.

So that blocks the receiving of the prayer's request just as you are leaving the gate.
If prayer is according to His will, as you have asked above - and you believe when you have asked that you have already been given what you have asked for - you just wait to see it come about - with thanks and praise -even befioe you "see" it. Be happy - it may take 3 weeks - but it's 'guaranteed'.

Matt 2122
John 14:14
John 16:23-4
1 John 5:14-5
Rom 8:32

There are many books out there that explain all this, aspen - I don't like telling people what to do - but get a couple until you really get it. We're close enough I think I can suggest that to you without you taking offense.
Never, ever leave room for any doubt what-so-ever - and He will give you the desires of your heart...

It's a guarantee.
:)

(My confidence in this bugs people sometimes, this is not my first
rodeo - there is nothing I can do about that..)

Albert Finch

Apr 13, 2009
Houston, Texas USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[Matthew 6:6 - When you pray, go into your inner room, and when you have shut your door, pray.

CHRIST DESIRES FOR ME TO LEAVE THE FAMILIAR, DISTRACTING WORLD OF MY SENSES AND ABIDE IN THE WORLD OF MY HEART, BEARING IN MIND THAT THE HIGHEST GOAL OF PRAYER IS TO FIND GOD. EVERY MINUTE I SEE GOD IS A MINUTE ENRICHED WITH NEW LIFE AND NEW POWER FROM GOD. I PERSIST DAY BY DAY, AND WEEK BY WEEK, UNTIL I HAVE DRAWN NEAR ENOUGH TO GOD THAT I CAN HEAR HIS VOICE.

Matthew 7:8 - For everyone who keeps on asking receives: and he who keeps on seeking finds; and to him who keeps on knocking, the door will be opened.

Albert Finch
www.afministry.ning.com (New Studies Every Day)

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 7:8 - For everyone who keeps on asking receives: and he who keeps on seeking finds; and to him who keeps on knocking, the door will be opened.

Hi Albert,dear,
What translation did you get that from?
I have never heard the word "keeps" in it before.
I have my reasons for asking...
wink
Thanks