What is the rule of faith for Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The faith that justifies all by itself apart from works is indeed the faith that works.
The important point being, the faith all by itself solicits the imputation of God's righteousness, not the works.
If the works did, that would be the works gospel that Paul says can NOT justify.
Define “FAITH”.

The BIBLICAL definition of the kind of faith that justifies.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It shouldn't be something they even think about going into the ministry. Your tone is a bit too abrasive for me to continue conversation with you. If you wish to believe I'm wrong, I have no issue with that. Disrespectful posts are not on my agenda though. Wish you peace.
When you post dishonestly – I will hold you accountable.
So, what YOU consider “abrasive” is merely my exposing your dishonesty.

Priestly celibacy is a Biblical precept. I have posted the verses repeatedly (1 Cor. 7:8-40), yet YOU continue to deny the Word of God by calling it a “tradition of men”.

That’s on YOU . . .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This is stretching it a bit. Don't ya think? A mental illness? I am not Catholic, nor do I endorse or support some of their doctrines. But I am far from being mentally ill because of it.
You could apply that reasoning to all "anti" beliefs and choices.
Anti-Baptist: mentally ill
Anti-Politics: mentally ill
Anti-Malware: mentally ill...lol
Do you see what I mean?
@Heart2Soul I agree about doctrine, indeed.

I think a sound mind is enhanced a lot by adhering to Philippians 4.8: "Whatsoever things are true......think on these things". :)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Define “FAITH”.

The BIBLICAL definition of the kind of faith that justifies.
Faith is the the firm conviction that what God says is indeed very true.
The author of Hebrews defines that sure conviction of faith here:

"1Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the certainty of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1
It is this conviction in a person that solicits God's imputation of righteousness, all by itself, apart from and without works.

"6Abram believed the LORD, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Genesis 15:6

"23Now the words “it was credited to him” were written not only for Abraham, 24but also for us, to whom righteousness will be credited—for us who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead." Romans 4:23-24

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - they MAKE faith effacacious.
If they DIDN'T - then faith would only be about belief and NOT obedience.
Obedience does not impute righteousness to a person. Faith that God is able to do what he promised is what does that, all by itself, apart from and without works:

21being fully persuaded that God was able to do what He had promised. 22This is why “it was credited to him as righteousness.” Romans 4:21-22

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
only the true church has the keys
Well of course only true believers, the members of Christ's body, have the keys.

15If your brother sins against you, go and confront him privately. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.
18Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
19Again, I tell you truly that if two of you on the earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by My Father in heaven.
Matthew 18:15-19

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
how does one get this “relationship” with Christ?

Check out my sensational post #219 about "mindmelding" with Jesus..:)
Meanwhile here's another breathtaking analogy-
Some time ago I happened to see a Carter Family video on youtube; I'd never even heard of them before but they blew my socks off so much that I immediately surfed to find their other songs and built up quite a collection..:)

Same with Jesus, people hear about him and immediately want to find out more about him, and that's a bingo, they've formed a relationship with him which grows over the months and years ahead..:)

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is the the firm conviction that what God says is indeed very true.
The author of Hebrews defines that sure conviction of faith here:

"1Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the certainty of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1
It is this conviction in a person that solicits God's imputation of righteousness, all by itself, apart from and without works.

"6Abram believed the LORD, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Genesis 15:6

"23Now the words “it was credited to him” were written not only for Abraham, 24but also for us, to whom righteousness will be credited—for us who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead." Romans 4:23-24
Obedience does not impute righteousness to a person. Faith that God is able to do what he promised is what does that, all by itself, apart from and without works:

21being fully persuaded that God was able to do what He had promised. 22This is why “it was credited to him as righteousness.” Romans 4:21-22
The historic Christian view is that God imparts His grace on us and MAKES us righteous.
Luther envisioned “imputed” grace, where we are merely “covered” by the righteousness of Christ. He even used the anti-Biblical metaphor of “sow-covered dunghills”. How does a piece of dung make it into Heaven when Rev. 21:27 explicitly states that NOTHIN impure can enter Heaven?

The Scriptures simply do NOT support the Protestant invention of imputed righteousness, when read in CONTEXT.

I don’t know why it’s so difficult for you to understand that faith requires pour participation – our cooperation. James writes that Abraham was justified by what he DID (James 2:21). He doesn’t say that he was shown to be justified by works.

Now, before you belabor the “2 definitions” argument – imagine what God would have thought of Abraham had he NOT done what he expected him to do. Would he STILL have ben considered justified?
NO
– hi obedience was PART of his justification and NOT just “evidence” OF it.

This is the very reason that Luther disliked the Book of James, calling it, “The Epistle of Straw” because it didn’t support his invention of Sola Fide.

Reactions: Illuminator

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

The Word of God is the Bible today.
"Word of God" is not limited to the written word alone.
51 Bible results for “"word of god"” from
English Standard Version
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1571559314946506753?s=20&t=M8ZuAEdKgLPJS_5URxIZDQ
The phrase "Word of God" is not generally used in the Bible to describe the written word alone. But don't take my word for it, you can do your search in BibleGateway or any Bible search engine and see for yourself.
Notice Rom. 10:17 says hearing the word of God, it does not say "reading the word of God."
Catholics hear more Bible in one Mass than in a month of Protestant services.
The just shall live by faith.
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! "Faith", in the absence of hope and charity, doesn't amount to very much.
This would include not only accepting Jesus as our Savior, but it would be in doing the work of faith like Noah did (Hebrews 11:7).
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! Notice Noah and his family got LEFT BEHIND, the bad people perished.
Unfortunately, the RCC has added their own traditions that makes void the Word of God. So their version of living out the faith is purely an imaginary one. In the RCC: We see idolatry (statue worship), necromancy (praying to dead saints), looking holy in front of others, calling men there father, making Mary out to be a co-redeemer (When she rejoiced in God her savior), confessing sins to a priest instead of confessing one’s sins to Jesus, etcetera. They are all mixed up on what the Bible says because they are like the JW’s, Mormons, etcetera because they follow something extra that overshadows what the Bible says. The Catholic traditions or extra biblical writings has not shown to be divine like the Bible. So their religion fails ten times over. Only those who are too deeply sucked into it’s practices are not going to see what I am talking about here. It’s like an alcoholic. You cannot tell them that they need to stop if they don’t want to do so. They have to want to stop going down their own road of destruction.
You are not aware how badly you have been deceived with this litany of lies and stupid insults. 12+ FALSEHOODS is a RANT, and evidence you are too immature to have a civilized discussion, without flipping to a different topic every time you embarrass yourself.

ChurchSignAnti-Catholics.jpg

ANTI-CATHOLICISM INDEX PAGE

Last edited:
Reactions: BreadOfLife

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace is given by faith and baptism acts 22:16

why is there an altar in Gods temple in heaven?

rev 11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship there in.

an altar is for offering sacrifice!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Check out my sensational post #219 about "mindmelding" with Jesus..:)
Meanwhile here's another breathtaking analogy-
Some time ago I happened to see a Carter Family video on youtube; I'd never even heard of them before but they blew my socks off so much that I immediately surfed to find their other songs and built up quite a collection..:)

Same with Jesus, people hear about him and immediately want to find out more about him, and that's a bingo, they've formed a relationship with him which grows over the months and years ahead..:)

nothing biblical here!

the new covenant requires faith and baptism!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The historic Christian view is that God imparts His grace on us and MAKES us righteous.
I have been saying all along that God MAKES us righteous. He credits HIS righteousness to us when we believe God's word about a Son who will inherit the blessing on our behalf, and so we are justified/saved in that very moment of faith in God, just as it was for Abraham when he believed God's promise of a son (Genesis 15:6).

From there our obedience SHOWS that we believe God's promise about a Son, just as Abraham's obedience showed his faith in the promise of God (Genesis 22:12). And so a man is justified by, both, faith, and works. Faith MAKES him righteous (Genesis 15:6), all by itself. Works SHOW him to be righteous (Genesis 22:12).